1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Nov 23, 2016.

1. turk

turk turk

...sure it'll be a winner pipes..as duff says..." your shit works"...or something to that effect...lol...cheers man:wave:

Squiby, cybrguy and GreenHopper like this.
  2. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@Pipes, will the battery in the PSM(ini) be user replaceable?

Pipes, kindly set the record straight definitely as I want to get the most longevity out of the batteries, so please provide me (us) the correct answer in regards to the correct point at which to recharge. I originally asked (in post #1030 under question #1) if I should let the batteries run down completely before recharging. In your post #1031, you said, "You are correct in good battery maintenance and once they are full it's good practice to run them down before re-charging. So naturally, I thought I was correct in my statement about depleting the batteries, so I repeated this in my post to @fcmember.

Subsequently, Squiby posted the following which reinforced me believing I'm correct:

Then KenZen informs me I'm incorrect in his post below:

GreenHopper agrees with Ken & posts:

So, when is it the correct time to recharge:

1) when the battery power indicator displays a certain color-code indication like no blues or only red?
    OR
    2) when the batts reach the point Squiby referenced, "I notice a sharp decline in performance and must heat beyond the click for several more seconds than my usual 4 one thousands"
    OR
    3) shortly after the output decline when they go completely dead?

Thank you.

3. fcmember

fcmember Well-Known Member

Hummm....do you know if the Jarhead would take til Christmas to get? Thanks for the battery tip!

Pipes likes this.
  4. Squiby

Squiby Well-Known Member

I never run my batteries completely dry. As soon as I notice a decline in function I plug in and recharge the batteries.

GreenHopper, Summer and Pipes like this.
  5. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

I think he said he had Jarheads and Skeltors in stock, or at least had the parts...

fcmember, GreenHopper and Pipes like this.
  6. buckhakeesah

buckhakeesah Well-Known Member

What?! A mention of PSmini? haha. I am still in the honeymoon stages with the PS. Everything mentioned about the VC experience getting boosted is so right on. After playing with mine for a few weeks, it's taken over and I've begun to unload some of my other favorites cause I tend to reach for this now. Flavors come out so well for whatever you decide to throw in it. My favorite is with using some fibers and some squished fuel. It kinda takes me a while to finish since it drags out the session longer but it's very pleasant.

fcmember, GreenHopper, Summer and 2 others like this.
  7. Pipes

Pipes Addicted DIY Enthusiast Accessory Maker

Battery maintenance can be very complicated as many have different ideas and usually have merit.
    Using the battery till lower limit is good for first 1-2 charge cycles as these are the most important cycles as they set the batteries boundaries. Once these are history, than driving to dead is not advisable nor is extended charging. Then the charging can be done basically anytime but good to run down once in awhile.

The battery gauge will generally read much better without the load. To get a more accurate reading, check while the VC is inserted. (or dipped...lol)

The new battery is replaceable as I posted the link above to the battery. However, being looking for the female 4 pin and 2 pin connectors to make the chore more user friendly. But really think it will end up the user will need to solder. This is not unlike other internal battery devices and they too sometimes require some soldering as the batteries should last over 500 cycles which translates into years.

Did I answer OK? :hmm:

DirtyD, Vapor_Eyes, KeroZen and 6 others like this.
  8. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Sorry, Squiby, you didn't indicate that you charged them at their point of decline. Reads as if you charged them when they completely died.

fcmember likes this.
  9. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Hah!!

Stoopid slow adaptors; I just messaged pipes with:
    "Mini Portside. The list; put me on it!"

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  10. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

I'm just sayin... :wave:

So @Pipes , after the mini I have an idea. A Multiport version. From the number of "dips" (I like that too) folks are getting, a multiport version may well be practical, and I can see how it might be useful in a party like or even sitting on a bar type environment. And of course for a high volume multi (like on a bar) plugging it in makes a lot of sense.

Just thinkin out loud.

(I haven't read the whole thread. If not a new idea, nevermind)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  11. Pipes

Pipes Addicted DIY Enthusiast Accessory Maker

:goon:

Not sure how practical this would really be as well as power issues from doubling or tripling the output. Would need to be a pretty big party if one can't wait for a single hole to become free from use. Am I invited? :brow:

Derrrpp, GreenHopper, turk and 6 others like this.
  12. Herbonius

Herbonius Member

If you can make the heater and more portable and add a temperature controller then you have yourself a pretty amazing platform for a vaporizer. The quick heat up time, battery life and pure air path would make one hell of a vape.

GreenHopper and Summer like this.
  13. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

No PM? No problem!

Pre-order PS mini:
    - Hogni
    -

:p :wave:

14. passenger

passenger fuck combustion

The last electronic device I was that excited about was the Sega Game Gear. No really, the PIHs look like a fantastic option.

15. Hogni

Perhaps you can build in a Skeletor into a Sega? ;)

16. passenger

Yea, that Sega thing was too big, was it! :D
    And could't live up to the Hype, so... Pipes better than Sega :clap:

17. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Hey, that's why you are the "mad genius" and I am the customer.
    Uhhh, Sounds like a frat party...

You are preinvited to ANY party _I_ give...

GreenHopper, turk, Pipes and 2 others like this.
  18. jimt0r

jimt0r Active Member

I am sure someone would bogart that hole over an extended conversation around a crowded table. As to power many units I would be looking to a PC psu to supply the amps, that would still leave the 5v rail to charge usb devices. I'd imagine it would be a "party" device rather than everyday use, though it would be a great gimmick for the owner of an Amsterdam cafe, mounted in the bar.

I still yearn to have a skelly to insert my cap into :(

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    GreenHopper and cybrguy like this.
  19. Hogni

Yepp, a USB connection for charging would be nice for the Mini!

GreenHopper likes this.
  20. passenger

Can the Portside be used while the device is lying on the side? I guess it should be no problem, but has anyone checked it out?

21. Hogni

No prob

GreenHopper and passenger like this.
  22. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Yeah, Ya need at least a pair.
    OK, another good idea, obviously only in a rec legal state or Amsterdam <g>. I single port at the center of each dining or bar table, like in the middle of the condiments bowl. One per table would do it.

Added: I can imagine the window sign. Get lifted with us. VAPCAP HEATER AT EVERY TABLE.

Ya gotta dream, ya know?

GreenHopper, Vapor_Eyes and Zecrono like this.
  23. Smokey McVape

Smokey McVape Peace. Love. Unity. Dynavap.

Just got on the waiting list for the Jarhead! :clap: Can't wait to try it.
    @Pipes - could a Portside be configured to run via a power bank and USB connection instead of traditional batteries for longer usage times between charges and a smaller housing?

Pipes, turk and KeroZen like this.
  24. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

In theory yes, in practice... it's not very common to have power banks with high amps output on the USB port. I got one for instance that can output a few amps, but only on the configurable voltage jack output not the USB port, and I think that would not be enough (can't remember the figure but it's 2-3A max)

Now if you can find one that is based on a loose interpretation of the USB spec that is able to output 5A that would be better, but the voltage would still be off (USB is 5V) Later USB specs clarified the situation and reiterated that the maximum current allowed per device in charging mode is only 1.5A. There might be "fast-charging" devices out there that can go higher though.

So what you hint is surely possible, you just have to find the correct device. Or build your own... You could just use the power bank as an external cell holder and bypass the internal circuit completely and just tap into the + and - terminals to draw two wires out, terminated by the connector of your choice (ex: XT-60, deans or even bullets etc)

25. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known Member

PS mini!!!!! O man you got this @Pipes !... I need two:tup::tup:

Pipes likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors