VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

passenger

is this thing on?
Can the Portside be used while the device is lying on the side? I guess it should be no problem, but has anyone checked it out?

passenger,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I am sure someone would bogart that hole over an extended conversation around a crowded table.
Yeah, Ya need at least a pair.
I'd imagine it would be a "party" device rather than everyday use, though it would be a great gimmick for the owner of an Amsterdam cafe, mounted in the bar.
OK, another good idea, obviously only in a rec legal state or Amsterdam <g>. I single port at the center of each dining or bar table, like in the middle of the condiments bowl. One per table would do it.

Added: I can imagine the window sign. Get lifted with us. VAPCAP HEATER AT EVERY TABLE.

Ya gotta dream, ya know?

Last edited:

Smokey McVape

Just got on the waiting list for the Jarhead! :clap: Can't wait to try it.
@Pipes - could a Portside be configured to run via a power bank and USB connection instead of traditional batteries for longer usage times between charges and a smaller housing?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
In theory yes, in practice... it's not very common to have power banks with high amps output on the USB port. I got one for instance that can output a few amps, but only on the configurable voltage jack output not the USB port, and I think that would not be enough (can't remember the figure but it's 2-3A max)

Now if you can find one that is based on a loose interpretation of the USB spec that is able to output 5A that would be better, but the voltage would still be off (USB is 5V) Later USB specs clarified the situation and reiterated that the maximum current allowed per device in charging mode is only 1.5A. There might be "fast-charging" devices out there that can go higher though.

So what you hint is surely possible, you just have to find the correct device. Or build your own... You could just use the power bank as an external cell holder and bypass the internal circuit completely and just tap into the + and - terminals to draw two wires out, terminated by the connector of your choice (ex: XT-60, deans or even bullets etc)

Last edited:

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
hello all,
just came back from the mailbox and my jarhead has arrived!!! so much quicker than i anticipated!!! anyways... i plugged it and was doing a few test runs but i obviously do not know what i am doing :( with such a simple device only a dummy like me would have issues. here is what is happening:

1) plugged the unit in
2) filled a vapcap
3) placed vapcap in the IH and pressed down lightly
4) listened for click (which by the way happens so much faster with this than my double torch)
5) took out vapcap and hit it

problem is... the hits were non-existent to extremely wispy if i did get a hit. i can feel the cap is hot, so i know its working... just not sure why my hits are so weak.

any tips for this dummy??

***EDIT*** one other thing i noticed... the vapcap does not sit on the magnet on top of the jarhead really well. it moves over to the side of the magnet like the polarity is wrong or something. is that normal too?

Summer

Long Island, NY
@mmenzie, tip I got was to count to either three or four one-thousand. 1st dip I count to four one-thousand, 2nd dip either 3 or 4 one-thousand & 3rd dip, 3 one-thousand. And I usually get 2 hits from each dip; 1st one depending. After the 3rd dip hits, I stir & check my herb to see if it's finished. Sometimes I stir after the 2nd dip.

Yeah, I had the same prob. with magnet on PS. @Pipes is changing the magnet in the future. I bought add'l. magnets from dynavap & will glue one of those on.

HTH.

Edited to add: that unlike @cybrguy below I usually draw hard & slow on the 2nd hit of the cycle & go beyond the cool down clicks.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yeah, with my Jarhead I pull it at the click for pretty much flavor only, with very little or no visible vapor. The next hit I go about 4 sec after the click and get good hits. I tend to do one big hit until the click or just before it, meaning it clicks a few seconds after I stop hitting it. Then I tend to go 4 or 3 seconds past the click for the next hit. I have usually cashed the bowl by then, especially if I am using the VC with water. With water I am not mouth pulling so a full hit gets much more vapor and caches the load faster.
The magnets Pipes is using have the magnetism on the edge rather than the center. They still cool the cap fine.

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
Thank you @Summer and @cybrguy your tips helped out ALOT!! now, just like when i got the vapcap, i have to find my sweet spot. i did the "4 one thousand" after the click and got a huge hit and then did a "3 one thousand" for the seond and noticed the tast was already off on the second hit and i took off the cap and my bud was very very dark... darker than i normally go even with a torch close to combustion even. so now that i know the "trick" of sorta of "respecting the click" i will play and find my routine

thanks for the help and thanks to @Pipes for this awesome device and fast shipping. i will figure it out soon enough!!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Excellent. It is a good idea, tho, to take @Summer's advice and check out your load before dumping it. Sometimes the goods right at the tip may be more cooked than what is underneath, and you may have another hit or 2 left. I tend to dump it in my hand, look for value, and if there is still a hit left suck it back in the VC. I'm a little cheap that way and like to get as much out of my goods as I can. :)

Summer

Long Island, NY
Yeah, @cybrguy, my herb after the 2nd dip is toasted (milk choc.) at the tip. But when I stir, the underneath goods are still green or greenish so using the digger, I fold (as in cooking) that to the top for the 3rd dip. If it's too well toasted (dark choc.), I just digger that part out into my palm & go for the 3rd dip with the remaining which will only give me 1 more hit, or sometimes I add a little more fresh herb into the bowl & stir.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
While it is probably true with most vapes, it is particularly true of the VCs that there is a wide variety of techniques and desired results. While it is absolutely useful, almost essential, to read about other folks methods and manner of using and hitting the VC, nearly all of us will develop patterns and methods and behaviors that, if not unique to ourselves, will definitely be different than what other people do. I think @Pipes Induction Heaters also lend themselves to individual variability in use. It's that "different stokes" thing that we all (or at least most of us) accept as part of the human experience.

Krazy

Same for me on the magnet. VapCap goes to one side and then falls off: I don't use it.

EDIT: I simply stick the VapCap back into the Portside.

Last edited:

buckhakeesah

Good to know, I'm experiencing this magnet issue too and thought Pipes may have glued the magnet upside down. I do have a VC magnet from a broken dynastash to use in place. Although lately, I've been using @phattpiggie continuous cloud/reheat method once at temp, so I don't really tend to use the magnet as much at all.

buckhakeesah,
Reactions: DirtyD

xlr8shun

Looks like i got a Skeletor coming to join my Jarhead.. too bad i didnt get on the ball sooner.. with Irma and all, im relegated to the car with the inverter, or im using my torch..

Day2, no power.. and honestly, from seeing the destruction to the few above ground power lines we have left.. i fully expect to be without power for another few days at a minimum.. most of our power is underground now.. but whatever was above ground and within trees length.. has been demolished. This is only northern orlando i am talking about.

My heart goes out to those further south, especially the keys, and the carribean islanders, they got wrecked. :(

Last edited:

Zecrono

Ravioli Ravioli Give Me The Formuoli
Looks like i got a Skeletor coming to join my Jarhead.. too bad i didnt get on the ball sooner.. with Irma and all, im relegated to the car with the inverter, or im using my torch..

Day2, no power.. and honestly, from seeing the destruction to the few above ground power lines we have left.. i fully expect to be without power for another few days at a minimum.. most of our power is underground now.. but whatever was above ground and within trees length.. has been demolished. This is only northern orlando i am talking about.

My heart goes out to those further south, especially the keys, and the carribean islanders, they got wrecked. :(

Very much same. I'm in redneck Clermont and we had a few small tornados touch down. At least we both have a Skeletor to look forward to! Very happy to get that PM. Hope your power comes back soon, ours is still out. We will see who gets their Skele first :brow:

sk8man121

Frozen_Vaporent
Loving my new Jarhead! Total control compared to any type of torch. I find that if pulled at click, hit, returned, pulled at click and hit again repeated until spent, it allows for session-style vaping a la the Firewood 4 with tasty clouds and completely even heating without charring. Bravo, @Pipes!

One question, and I am very much lacking knowledge re: electrical builds such as this: Is there any risk of electric shock / shorting the unit when in use? I noticed a slight sizzle after placing my just-cleaned Vapcap into the unit (which I believe was excess moisture burning off), and it got me wondering.

Zecrono

Ravioli Ravioli Give Me The Formuoli
I noticed a slight sizzle after placing my just-cleaned Vapcap into the unit (which I believe was excess moisture burning off), and it got me wondering.
I doubt it would short anything. My cap would sizzle with a torch if I had cleaned it a little while before. As long as it's not dripping it's probably fine.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
If just cleaned, I'd suspect it's just the moisture sizzling off. For the most part, it's just 12 volts floating around before firing it up. I've touched it all over even while firing and have never gotten zapped. I imagine if you touch around enough while firing, you'll find somewhere that will give you a different kind of buzz. :freak: Not a wise thing to be hunting for...

sk8man121

Frozen_Vaporent
I guess what I'm wondering is if the heater is sealed off from the rest of the electronics or if the vapcap, being metal and held by hand, could somehow conduct electricity while dipped.

sk8man121,
Top Bottom