VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Summer

Long Island, NY
Looks like he's using the fat screws to secure the shims to support the coil.

Last edited:
Summer,
Reactions: Derrrpp

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
....I guess so too. It's just a pity that there is not a more discreet solution

Hogni,

Lorsch

Yes, they are fat... didn´t found M3 screws with the length i needed... the M4 screws hold a piece of wood, and on the wood the coil is sitting. Was for me the easiest way to archive it. My first thought was using hot glue etc. but didnt wantet stinky stuff in it.

px2gx5lb.jpg

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
@Pipes, The battery holder is wobbling. Most likely loosened when I struggled getting the batteries out to re-check polarization (& the batts are in so friggin' tight!
ouch.gif
). Not, 100% sure, as I only really looked in passing (& way too lazy to have to open her up at this late hour), but it briefly appeared to me that the battery holder is on top of a circuit board & what looks looks like single- or double-sided electric tape is on the underside of that c-board, adhering to the inside wall of the PS? So no prob for me to go in & add tape to bolster it from underneath?
They do feel like they are floating or spongy. This is normal as there is two layers of double sided tape and has some give. Unless it's pealed away, should be fine.

It is not working with my FET Board... here a pic how i connected it. No LED, nothing. Switch is ratet
for 3A and everything alone is working. Im using my station at the moment without the FET driver.
h4h8e5rn.jpg

3n5ogm5y.jpg

Good work, Very well done!!

Now take that wire off the ground pad and put it on the trigger. BTW, bet the small switch is now buggered as you were switching the + to -. Or the power supply would have gone into protection mode every time you pushed the switch.
:rockon:

passenger

is this thing on?
A question to the Portsiders users, anyone care to tell me the exact dimensions (cm) of the Portside? Wonder how small it is.

passenger,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
A question to the Portsiders users, anyone care to tell me the exact dimensions (cm) of the Portside? Wonder how small it is.
From the FAQ @ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_202eBzWeF7rkTjqV5sWumPxtbSNtfjqOZEs1i9d16k/edit

Component Dimensions:

Battery holder - 78 X 60 X 24mm (28mm with BMS attached)
BMS Board - 56 X 45 X 4mm
Driver with FET - 55 X 40 X 20mm
Coil - 75 X 28 X 28mm

Skeletor Dimensions: 65 X 65 X 79mm height

Sideport Dimensions: 100 X 50 X 100mm height

I'm guessing Pipe's meant Portside rather than Sideport on that last dimension.

xlr8shun

Has anyone used the jarhead in the car via a power invertor?

I gave this a shot yesterday, beought the JH II with me to a friends house. But in the way over i remembered the inverter i have in the car and curosity got the better of me.

It worked very well.

I picked up this inverter online about 3 or so years ago. It cost me about 10 bucks, so i figured why not give it a shot, never know when you need an AC outlet in the car. Its served me well over the years.

Pics of the inverter, for model# and specs... https://imgur.com/a/DiacJ

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Many thanks @Pipes, new toy arrived yesterday, fast delivery.
BIrnrNF.jpg

I got a 'skelly' this time so enclosures are going to be made at some point, no idea how this will all go but I've got Mom as a phattguineapiggie so it'll have to be good.

My original has been put thru it's paces by @Ruta, both indoors and out.
It was up in the grim north on a camping weekend and coped well.
Even in the cold weather it performed brilliantly.

I'm now treating my triple torch as 'back up', for me the M and induction is way better than butane.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Wow, that did make it quick. A postal wonder.

So guys, the list for batch 3 Portsides is now full and the enclosure supplier has being restocking for over a month now. This means I cannot commit to anymore PSs currently but will post if things change.
Will also be looking for a replacement enclosure.
Skelly's and JHs are still going strong. :nod: In fact those lists are moving quite nicely. Won't run out of Tic-Tacs or jars anytime soon. ;)
And now with @phattpiggie making a Skelly enclosure, should be the new Cadillac.
:science:

Last edited:

Zecrono

Ravioli Ravioli Give Me The Formuoli
Me too @xlr8shun. I'm also going to get in line for a Skeletor. Congrats @Pipes on making such a cool little gadget :clap:

Been using my Ti Woody for a few months with pita torches. I have a feeling this little thing is going to help me get "reacquainted" with my Woody.

kushkush

happy camper....
Think I'll order a Jarhead...anybody know how to order? I looked on his FAQ page but it wasn't there. Thanks in advance. :)

kushkush,

passenger

is this thing on?
Is there any advice how to safely use these awesome heaters? Well, I know that I should better not hold my hand in the flame. Induction heating sounds actually like a more safe method heating your vapcaps or am I missing something? :) Yes, I have no clue about this Voodoo stuff. I admit it. I still cook with gas.

passenger,
Reactions: kushkush

Summer

Long Island, NY
@passenger, the PIH is extremely safe; safer than a lighter. There is no flame, only a heated coil. The PS is enclosed so the only way you can get burnt is if you stick your pinky finger in the coil; don't know why you would. Same goes for the Skeletor once it's enclosed. Until the Skeletor is put in an enclosure, just don't turn it on & touch the coil. Go through this thread & take a look at the videos showing usage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom