VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Summer

Long Island, NY
OK,Pipes, based on the answer to your questions, I didn't check battery placement again as I was confident I inserted correctly.

1) No, when the charger is plugged into the wall only, there is no light at all.

2 & 3) When I press the test button with the unit on & the M inserted, & yes, it is firing, I only get the 1st 2 lights (red & green) & when I remove the M the 3rd blue light goes back on.

Edited to add: When I have the charger attached in pass through (meaning unit on), the lights are still red & green & when I remove the M it adds the 3rd blue light; same as with "on battery" solely.

Last edited:
Summer,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I'll get another charger out to you right away.
If you have an external charger or device which takes the 18650s, you can charge up externally. You'll likely get the replacement charger by the time you need to charge again. :)

It appears the charger likely blew before much got into the batteries. They are running on the shipping charge which is lower these days.

Summer

Long Island, NY
I'll get another charger out to you right away.
If you have an external charger or device which takes the 18650s, you can charge up externally. You'll likely get the replacement charger by the time you need to charge again. :)

It appears the charger likely blew before much got into the batteries. They are running on the shipping charge which is lower these days.

Much appreciate it. I will wait on the replacement as I currently have no other need for an 18650 charger. Just so you know, I'm charging it on a fault-protected outlet -- sorry can't remember the correct terminology for the outlet.

You know, I had a bad day (got pee'd on by a cat & had to stay in those clothes all day! AND, I had herb in the bowl when testing above & I combusted. :doh: ) For once, I want (& need) things to go off without a hitch & they NEVER do. :( I know, I'm whining. :ugh: I need a good night's sleep ... after I clean my M.

Last edited:

turk

turk
Much appreciate it. I will wait on the replacement as I currently have no other need for an 18650 charger. Just so you know, I'm charging it on a fault-protected outlet -- sorry can't remember the correct terminology for the outlet.

You know, I had a bad day (got pee'd on by a cat & had to stay in those clothes all day! AND, I had herb in the bowl when testing above & I combusted. :doh: ) For once, I want (& need) things to go off without a hitch & they NEVER do. :( I know, I'm whining. :ugh: I need a good night's sleep ... after I clean my M.
....good luck...I experienced some early hiccups with mine...or so I thought....actually as noted above...it took few hours initially for my batteries to charge....that was the source of my issue...hope you get straight...it's a wonderful device...cheers.

ank

I got my Portside early last week and have done extensive testing (100+ uses). The hype is well deserved. This turns the utilitarian Vapcap experience into almost magic. It's impressive how fast it heats and the cap stays completely clean. I'm finding a true two seconds after the click to be optimal on the Ti tip. I tried three seconds once and combusted. It's amazing with a nonavong, way easier to heat with one hand and hold glass in the other. I'm having a party tomorrow and plan to hand out my 5 Vapcaps to various guests and let them drop it in the heater as needed. Deluxe!

Ingenious design Pipes and I'm already thinking of additional units.. maybe one in every room!

Summer

Long Island, NY
... and I'm already thinking of additional units..

I can totally relate to this. I used the PS in the car for the 1st x with the M; 5 hits later & I'm in love with this beautiful, little device.:love: (
thankyou.gif
Pipes, !!! *Please do get my replacement adaptor in the mail asap as I don't ever want to be without this. ) I used @Square4Life's one-one thousand technique. The AVB was (2) spent shades of coffee brown & a couple of pieces on top were still green. I did stir after the 3rd hit, don't know how well though. I'll use it w/ the M & Ti tips for a while before assessing if I think increasing the tip depth would be of any benefit.

3 questions, please:

1) @Pipes said "First off, leave the rear power switch in the "on" position all the time as is only needed as a kill switch." So are the batteries constantly being charged or does charging only kick in at a certain decrease in batt. charge level?

I've always completely drained my batteries & then put them through a (re)conditioning cycle either every or several discharges. So would there be a significant gain in longevity not leaving the power switch on & completely draining the batteries before each charge;even though there are no reconditioning cycles?

2) What is the gummy silicone called that Pipes uses to secure the battery on top? Nice stuff, can find other uses for this.

Last edited:
Summer,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Cool you got a little test drive. Your charger is in the mail, you should get hopefully by next weekend.

The rear switch only takes the actual coil off line. The charger stays charging regardless.
Once it's done charging and light turns green the charging stops. It will start again at 11.x volts. Can't remember the exact number.
You are correct in good battery maintenance and once they are full it's good practice to run them down before re-charging. Leaving new batteries on the charger for extended time like a few days or even a week is OK, but this habit goes south quick once the batteries get older and loose there charge faster. Causes how often the charger tops them off. Causing them to age faster. Best unplug when batteries are full.

The goo stuff is actually Gummy Tape. :science:

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Thinking of having a go at making a plug in version myself. Having read all the posts i am still a little confused as to what power adapter to buy.

12v 6a - but how do i know if its got a constant current mode?

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
The power supply is indeed a good question. Many units just don't work even if rated to 6 amps. I believe it has to do with the way any one model is designed to handle initial surge. The delay before going into auto shut off mainly. I have gotten 3 different, 6 amp units that just go into over current shut off. Ended up going back to the unit I know works which is actually rated for 5 amp so obviously under rated "and" can handle the surge. This action is what made me initially believe it must be acting like constant current supply when the watt limit is hit. Unfortunately, they can only be had in batches of 20 units and no avoiding paying duty because of their shipping method.
Here is the link. For me to ship just a power supply would be too expensive due to shipping.
An 8 amp unit "should" not have any problems but harder to find at a reasonable price.
:science:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
You can get 20A CV LED drivers for $20 shipped from China by the way. Don't know if that falls into your "reasonable" price range though...

Lorsch

Got my small 15a 400w FET trigger board , like pipes suggested.
Can someone tell me quick how to solder the wires with a small Trigger...

Lorsch

@Pipes thnx!

On my search for a glas tube, i found out, that this test tubes for medical research etc. will
fit perfectly. They have diameter of 16mm like the cloudtank tube. But u can get them everywhere
and they cost 13! german cent a piece and u can get them in 100 piece pack! Maybe this can help you pipes.

100050-001-Reagenzglaeser-mit-Boerdelrand-100x16.jpg

Greetings

Summer

Long Island, NY
@Pipes, I got my replacement charger in the mail today & everything charged fine in under 3 hours. Somehow, I feel victorious that ALL 5 LED test lights display. :D You guessed wrong, Pipes, the batts didn't make it till today, but, rather, died on Monday. I now know how @flotntoke felt when he lost his baby. Shallow as it may seem, I was actually heartbroken yesterday. :cry: :lol: But today I'm on
cloud9.gif
. So thanks Pipes for the quick mailing!:)

Also, I am extremely pleased & extremely relieved to say that the coil depth is perfect. It encompasses the whole vc cap perfectly. Everything is convecting & combusting beautifully.

Now, for my PS question: The battery holder is wobbling. Most likely loosened when I struggled getting the batteries out to re-check polarization (& the batts are in so friggin' tight!
ouch.gif
). Not, 100% sure, as I only really looked in passing (& way too lazy to have to open her up at this late hour), but it briefly appeared to me that the battery holder is on top of a circuit board & what looks looks like single- or double-sided electric tape is on the underside of that c-board, adhering to the inside wall of the PS? So no prob for me to go in & add tape to bolster it from underneath?

Top Bottom