VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

rz

<2c>Use case is key here. The units are not driven for extended periods (minutes, tens of minutes..). IMHO, The battery heat generated in the 10 seconds here or there that the unit is actually active is negligible, and the difference between different batteries even more so. The unit doesn't ever draw 20Amps, maybe more around 10, so I'd go for higher capacity.</2c>

Sketch420

First off have to say i love using my PS. It has really helped the VC get used more and more, even my desktop vape is mostly unplugged these days. I do still enjoy using a lighter to get things done, but this device has made things so much easier. Thanks again @Pipes for the fantastic product! Keep up the great work.

I recently took it on a camping trip with friends turned out great. They initially laughed at it till they used the VC + PIH and all were silent ha. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and get a kick out of it.

One quick question, how do i adjust the height of the coil so it heats a bit more towards the center? I thought i remembered there was a way but haven't found that post yet. I'm getting a bit more toasted look to the top abv then the center regardless of how it's packed. Thanks all.

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
To anyone sitting on the fence about what kind of batteries to put in this thing, I highly recommend the LG HG2s. Here's a snippet of a PM I sent to @Pipes:

By the way, I just finished a tally of how many heating cycles I could get on a charge. 278 is the final count. Give or take one or two where I wasn't sure if I had already marked it down or not lol. Pretty impressive! :cool: (I just can't believe I didn't lose count somewhere along the way haha)

Close to 300 heating cycles in one charge! I used my Ti tip exclusively, and all cycles were with herb, no dry runs. I do keep my CCD set at the middle position to reduce volume by ~50%.

Just some data points for those who are interested. :cool:

:cheers:

turk

turk
...ok...ok...had my heater a couple of days...didn't really have time to deal with it...(the vicissitudes of life!)....than when I did have time...couldn' tfucking get it going...(not the most mechanically inclined...lol)...however....today had a chance to "focus" on it...no distractions....and......voila!...this thing is genius...pipes....bravo!...thank you so much...for showing me the "next" level for dynacap...and thanks to all in this thread...for speaking truth and making this old guy embrace new technology....cheers all!
..mine is portside too.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I just gotta say with that speech last night and the commentary that followed, Trump's head in a jar spent a lot of time lit up RED last night. It does remind me a little of the scene in "The legend of Zorro" where his brother takes a sip from the jar...

Added: Sorry. That was "The Mask of Zorro"...

Last edited:

Lorsch

I ordered one of the induction coils before i set me on the list for a jarhead... will try a little DIY in the
waiting time. Just powered it with an 12 2a dc and it worked really good. Ordered some parts and switches also :) But where can i get the glas tubes for fitting into the coil? I searched the whole internet but couldnt find anything.... What is the prefered diameter?

Greetings from Germany

Vapppo

Vaping in Italy since too short!
Hi mates,

I've been unable to post for while but i've had time to experiment with my VapCaps and @Pipes's induction heater (i'll post some pics of my scheletor in its new home...) :rockon::rockon:

I'm using it with my OmniVap mainly but i'm still unable to understand who much i should keep heating after the click. I've read that one should count until 4 and then stop heating but that does not seem to work as well as 2 or 3 flames yet lighter does.

Can you please help?

Thank you as always!

turk

turk
ti-woody-s cocobolo xl....dynastah xl...pipes's genius...
1amwq5B.jpg

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Hi mates,

I've been unable to post for while but i've had time to experiment with my VapCaps and @Pipes's induction heater (i'll post some pics of my scheletor in its new home...) :rockon::rockon:

I'm using it with my OmniVap mainly but i'm still unable to understand who much i should keep heating after the click. I've read that one should count until 4 and then stop heating but that does not seem to work as well as 2 or 3 flames yet lighter does.

Can you please help?

Thank you as always!
How has your herb been looking afterwards? Is it coming out still green like it's not being heated enough? Or is it cooking too much? Heating for 4 seconds after the click should produce a dense cloud of vapor, bordering on combustion really. On a fresh set of batteries I only ever go a second or two past the click and that seems to work great for me... If yours is coming out undercooked then maybe your insertion depth needs to be adjusted? (hehe :brow:)

:shrug:

:peace:

Square4Life

Hi mates,

Can you please help?

Thank you as always!

I don't mean to sound rude by any means but how are you counting? Assuming the unit is working properly, could it be when you count to '4' you are actually counting much faster than let's say how fast I would count to '4'? I do the 'one, one-thousand, two, one-thousand, etc' method although I also timed myself doing that over several different cycles and it was usually right at about 3.5 seconds. The range was 3-3.5 seconds though. This would be my first thoughts if the unit is working properly.

Also, the first heat cycle can be whispy at times although the 2nd and especially the 3rd in succession, going 3-3.5 secs after the click, should be choking level of vapor lol.

EDIT: When my cap clicks using the portside and a titanium tip, I count "one, one thousand, two, one thousand, three, one thousand, four" and then pull it out. With the ss M tip, I take it to "four, one thousand" or even "5".

Summer

Long Island, NY
My PS was shipped on 8/18 & rec'd. 8/23; 5 days, not bad.

After I installed the batts, I connected the unplugged charger to the IH & the light on the charger plug was green & when I depressed the charge test button, 3 of the 5 lights (the 3 closest to the power switch) lit up in the following order - red, green, blue. So when I plugged it in with the power switch off (I don't think this has a pass through?) , & the light on the charger turned red. I charged it for 2 hours & the red light turned back to green (which, of course, I assumed means fully charged). However, the charge test lights remains the same -- 3 of the same 5 lit in the same color order -- red, green, blue, & when I turned the unit on it & inserted the M, it doesn't work. So, I now I put it back on charge with the power switch still off & the charger is still showing a green light. Is all of this correct since the charger light is green? I thought all the 5 test lights were supposed to light up blue? Completely confused, so someone please clarify for me in the simplest of terms. Thanks!

BTW, I bought the LG HG2's from Liionwholesale.com

Square4Life

After I installed the batts, I connected the unplugged charger to the IH & the light on the charger plug was green & when I depressed the charge test button, 3 of the 5 lights (the 3 closest to the power switch) lit up in the following order - red, green, blue. So when I plugged it in with the power switch off (I don't think this has a pass through?) , & the light on the charger turned red. I charged it for 2 hours & the red light turned back to green (which, of course, I assumed means fully charged). However, the charge test lights remains the same -- 3 of the same 5 lit in the same color order -- red, green, blue, & when I turned the unit on it & inserted the M, it doesn't work. So, I now I put it back on charge with the power switch still off & the charger is still showing a green light. Is all of this correct since the charger light is green? I thought all the 5 test lights were supposed to light up blue? Completely confused, so someone please clarify for me in the simplest of terms. Thanks!

So, I'm not sure to be 100% honest although have you checked the batteries to ensure they are installed in the correct order? I know you have to open it back up but it may be worth a shot. It can also be used while charging although the batteries do need to be installed, and installed correctly.

EDIT: You are correct though in your assumptions. The LEDs will be red, green, and then three blues when fully charged.

Posted a few pages back by Pipes:

So as a reminder about battery installation. Only 4 screws need to be removed.
Rest unit with battery gauge facing down.
Remove upper two screws on the back side with the switch and charge plug.
Remove the bottom two screws on front plate.
Lid will slide forward and you will see battery holder.
Insert your batteries as batteries label shows.
Reassemble.

Just in case you are like me and forget lol

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
So, I'm not sure to be 100% honest although have you checked the batteries to ensure they are installed in the correct order? I know you have to open it back up but it may be worth a shot. It can also be used while charging although the batteries do need to be installed, and installed correctly.

EDIT: You are correct though in your assumptions. The LEDs will be red, green, and then three blues when fully charged.

Posted a few pages back by Pipes:

So as a reminder about battery installation. Only 4 screws need to be removed.
Rest unit with battery gauge facing down.
Remove upper two screws on the back side with the switch and charge plug.
Remove the bottom two screws on front plate.
Lid will slide forward and you will see battery holder.
Insert your batteries as batteries label shows.
Reassemble.

Just in case you are like me and forget lol

I put the batteries in & then checked the internet to confirm that I was correct in positive & negative terminals. I then took out the batteries again, just to check my installation & they are, indeed, installed correctly. (Stupid me took out all 8 screws, then had to use a mag light to find the 1 I dropped.) However, I will open it up again & recheck battery position a 3rd time; can't hurt.

No, my assumption was the all the LED lights would be blue. So, thanks for letting me know what they should be.

So, if after 2 hours the test battery lights remained the same it would indicate that the batteries need more charging time. But what I don't understand is why when I plugged in the charger pin to the back of the PS with no A/C it was green & then when plugged into AC it went to red & then back to green after 2 hours, but the battery test lights don't show any increase in charge.

Off to check batt. placement again. The one thing I will do eventually is put ribbons under the batts as they are really are in there tightly.

Summer,

Square4Life

I put the batteries in & then checked the internet to confirm that I was correct in positive & negative terminals. I then took out the batteries again, just to check my installation & they are, indeed, installed correctly. (Stupid me took out all 8 screws, then had to use a mag light to find the 1 I dropped.) However, I will open it up again & recheck battery position a 3rd time; can't hurt.

No, my assumption was the all the LED lights would be blue. So, thanks for letting me know what they should be.

So, if after 2 hours the test battery lights remained the same it would indicate that the batteries need more charging time. But what I don't understand is why when I plugged in the charger pin to the back of the PS with no A/C it was green & then when plugged into AC it went to red & then back to green after 2 hours, but the battery test lights don't show any increase in charge.

Off to check batt. placement again. The one thing I will do eventually is put ribbons under the batts as they are really are in there tightly.

I guess you don't happen to have meter to check the individual battery voltages, since you are taking them out again? I'm beginning to wonder if you have a bad battery...

Edit: Also, if I plug into my ps without ac power, the light will turn green and then will turn red when I plug into ac power. Yours did exactly as I would've expected from the charging aspect.

The battery gauge and of course it not working being the unexpected.

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
I guess you don't happen to have meter to check the individual battery voltages, since you are taking them out again? I'm beginning to wonder if you have a bad battery...

No, I don't have a meter. Liion says they test each battery before they ship. Any idea how long should charging new batteries take?

Summer,

Square4Life

No, I don't have a meter. Liion says they test each battery before they ship. Any idea how long should charging new batteries take?

They should be fully charged before their first use to optimize their lifespan and power capacity, to my understanding. How long it takes would probably be longer than the normal 2 hour window for new batteries BUT if the charger led is green, then I'm not sure if it is still going to continue charging as that is the whole point of that special charger from what I gather. Once the charger thinks the batteries are full, it stops supplying power.

Do you have an external 18650 battery charger?

Square4Life,
Reactions: Summer

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker

Glad shipping was so quick.

Let's try a couple things. First off., leave the rear power switch in the "on" position all the time as is only needed as a kill switch.
1/With the charger plugged into the wall but not the PS, is the light still green? This will tell us if charger died as still will show green from back voltage from batteries.
2/While pressing the battery gauge, push the M into the hole activating the tactile switch on the bottom. Does the gauge go to last or no LEDs? Also, if charger is plugged in, it should go to red.
3/And is the tube light coming on at all while pressing in the M?
Not to worry, we'll get this going somehow.
:hmm: :sherlock:

Top Bottom