VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

John Coaltrain

TommyDee

Vaporitor
So something like this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/232964243759

Along with a battery holder for 3 18650s and some connectors for charging and supplying power would do it?

Sorry for the delay :zzz: Yes, that kind of solution works well. And you can get crafty with a case. That setup will be my backup. Plenty of power. While you're at it, consider a nickel volt meter. Good reminder on power level. It can be activated on fire if you don't want the parasitic drain. With me? :wave:

Please note that we are considering this for powering the Cauldron, not the Port Mini. The PM really does want 12.6V to fully charge.

Last edited:
TommyDee,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
That unit is only rated for 3 amp output on the 12 volt out. However, that maybe just because of the battery-grade they use. Might still work with some voltage sage if there is no protection before that 10 amp BMS they look like they use. This unit is rated for 6 amp but the price along with the DC cord you need pushes, IMO, the price out of range at $70.
A good option is to look for those emergency car battery booster packs. Along with the appropriate DC cord.
Again though, gets expensive fast.

Psyentist

My barebones kit arrived the other day. Super fast shipping to the other side of the globe considering other orders I placed weeks before this have yet to clear customs. Now just waiting on a charger to arrive on the slow boat from China. Hopefully I’ll be up and running by February, hah. Going to use a 5000mah battery so hopefully one charge should last close to a week.

Thanks heaps @Pipes ! Really looking forward to getting this thing up and running. Loving your work brother. :rockon:

Supergreen8

Hi guys, I've had my PSM for close to a year and still using it all the time.

I was wondering if there is a way to reduce the "power" of the IH a little bit, I feel like it runs a little hot and I'd rather it take a little longer for it to click. I don't care if it's not "adjustable" just a one and done... thanks!

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
People have successfully used cork disks to raise the height or a 12mm disc cut from a high heat silicone oven glove. Cut with 3 small protruding bumps equally spaced around the circumference to friction hold in place but still has easy movement. Just raise by 1-2 mm will make a noticeable difference. :science:

deadlytoaster

Canadian lost in Europe
Hey guys the red LED burnt jout on my secondhand PSM. I get a very very faint blue light in place, but you can't see it while in use. Anyone know how to re-do/fix the LED? Is taking the unit a part easy?

Thanks!

deadlytoaster,

arrjaytea

Bill Cravy
Hey guys the red LED burnt jout on my secondhand PSM. I get a very very faint blue light in place, but you can't see it while in use. Anyone know how to re-do/fix the LED? Is taking the unit a part easy?

Thanks!

I'd asked @Pipes before and it sounds like it's under the heat shrink in the unit and difficult to repair.

Had the same thing happen with my Caldron. Still works fine, LEDs just either flicker, don't work at all, and occasionally work as anticipated.

TommyDee

Vaporitor

Thanks!

LED's are normally sealed so when they light up they are in an oxygen-free environment. If the plastic lens breaks, the junction is exposed. This compromises the stuff that glows. What remains is a pail blue light if the connection is otherwise intact.

TommyDee,
Top Bottom