VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Yesterday I tested the IH with 3x 14500 (AA sized) efest IMR cells. They held up for 2 loads! Looks like the IH sucks out about 3 watt/hours per load.

Although as a portable these would be awesome to use, the tech just hadn't been put into these little cells. You would need to keep it on a charger most of the time. Back to 18650's :nod:

KindBuddyBud

my @Pipes portside mini shipped today! looking forward to having a mobil version to add to my caldron!
You are going to love the PSM. I love mine. Fits perfectly in the cup holder. Also, condition the battery like pipes explains in his faq. After I conditioned mine, the battery life seems to be much longer. Now I’m thinking about swapping out batteries for a larger capacity lipo. :doh: Why must I tinker?

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Yes, there are tons. I used a 3000mAh one with a link in my FAQ. Now there are a few considerations to consider. Many just go for the biggest, badest battery they can find. You should work backward to cover your needs. First off, check the physical size as with these batteries capacity and size go hand in hand. You must also consider the charge time. The 800 mAh ones are full in under an hour whereas the 3000 mAh battery would take a good 3 hours.
So, for a day and evening worth, the 800 mAh battery is fine for most folks at 8-11 bowls.
For a weekend and beyond, a 2000 -3000 mAh would be perfect. Which is about the same as 3 good 18650 cells. It would last close to a week for many coming in at 30 - 40 bowls.
Doing the math the IH devices average around 80 mAh per bowl or 20 mAh per puff. :science:
The bottom line is to only get as big as you need to cover your travel time. A faster charging time can be nice too. Bigger is nice but not always convenient. :2c: :worms:

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@Pipes - your system must be much more efficient :D I sucked the 3x 700mah LiMg IMR cells down in 2 bowls. I confirmed the drain on the Opus which showed 550mah on the recharge. That's maybe 10 reheats.
I'll have to do that test again.... :p
...and again - :razz:

... .... and again :zombie:

Also, friends don't let friends buy cheap ass cells. Buy authentic name brand Li-Ion only. Also only use trusted charger.

TommyDee,
Reactions: Pipes

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Got a PS mini few weeks ago and I am very happy customer

I have done it myself, a couple of IH in the past for home and portable (3 x 18650 version), i spent quite some times to find my nice spot (how deep VC goes into the coil) and I am very satisfied with factory settings, and how everything looks professional with Pipes construction

great value!

Ps i find metal tip is better suited for induction, ti tip takes a cycle more to get on temp and vapor isn’t as smooth as with M

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I suspect the metal's conductivity has something to do with ti heating up less.

Last edited:
TommyDee,

MAbud

SOS SOS

I think my PSM charger has died. It doesn’t show a color when plugged in, and stays green when I plug it into my PSM even with low battery. Is there a replacement on Amazon I can buy immediately?? Can’t be without my PSM

MAbud,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Amazon has them. Just search out "12.6v charger" and there will be quite a few. You need a 5.5x2.1mm charge plug and stick with the 1 amp units. :tup:

MAbud

Amazon has them. Just search out "12.6v charger" and there will be quite a few. You need a 5.5x2.1mm charge plug and stick with the 1 amp units. :tup:

Thanks! I was literally panic stricken last night...I guess I am quite dependent on my PSM

MAbud,

kuzko

My ac/dc adapter model W-T5000 that came with my Jarhead suddenly stopped working. Anyone know where I can get a new one or equivalent? Couldn’t find it on eBay and I want to make sure I get the right kind.

kuzko,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
There should be a label on the dead unit to tell you what you are looking for.
A caution here as the supplied supply is rated 5 amp but handles more for short bursts which sets it apart from most. If going by ratings it's better to look for 8 amp units as I've seen even 6 amp units hiccup in our application.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Made the first upgrade on the skeleton side-port. After two incidents of leaving the IH plugged in I decided I better connect the momentary switch I scored a week ago. Anyone recognize this switch of old? Well, it is 10 amp rated for 125 AC. I guessing it will be fine for 6 amps DC. Picked it up at the electronics graveyard. Appears new. Went to town with some Shoe-Goo to mount the switch and stabilize caps and coils.

49120158787_6ea84d29b7_b.jpg

I'm going to make a jumper wire so I can pocket any battery pack. Will use 16 awg for lead-wires.

This makes for a very compact left handed IH. I tied the Teflon tubes together with a string. That glass cup is working nicely for centering and a depth gauge.
Now to work out a 3D printed box for the thing. I'll leave the coil exposed.

So far I got the 3x 18650 cell holders and the FET power switches. I have NANO's for programming. I have the parts for a 2nd unit. Waiting for the BMS board. Also considering a USB charger trickle circuit. Unique feature - click detection!

Top Bottom