Discontinued ThermoVape

OF

Just got my TV today with the Dart and Evo Carts and have some mix opinions. The Dart was a little frustrating at first but with the help from this forum on technique I have been able to get some decent hits, I thinks as I begin to master I will like it more and more. I was quite surprised with the Evo. I was able to get some nice hits with the first bowl I packed and wasn't very hard to get the hang of.

I'm not to happy with the unit itself especially the slide switch. If I could have done this over I would have gotten the Persei and used the Dart and Evo carts with that instead. I like the button and having the light show me if the batteries still have juice or are almost dead
Mod Note: Please review rules, no selling in threads other than classified area.

If I'm reading this right, you're thinking of selling the base unit, adapter, batteries and charger then going for Persei (and an adapter) to run your DART and Evolution carts? I tried just this, it does work but I didn't find a big advantage as I find the button on Persei takes a bit of doing as well. By all means try it if you've a mind to, but you might rethink the battery sale. You'll need them and the charger for them if you want to drive SV loads like DART and Evolution, 7.4 Volts from Persei will kill them in short order. LV stuff, of course, is fine but while DART is OK, Evolution LV takes a little too much current, not much, but guys seem to be getting away with it?

Anyway, sounds like you've got SV carts? Don't sell the batteries and charger.....

Good luck in getting just what you want.

OF

OF,
Thanks for all the tips, I'll try them out soon.

I guess a lot of my frustration is due to the fact that I've been using a Vapbong with great results, but wanted something more stealthy and convenient which doesn't require a lighter on the road. Now I find that there is a very subtle and difficult to master technique, and many variations and workarounds, I'll give it another go though.

I'm using the free extended length mouthpiece, do you think I should ditch it and use the standard length one?

Is grinding necessary with the Evolution? If so, which grinder would grind to the perfect level of granularity for the Evo?

lovecarrots,

OF

I guess a lot of my frustration is due to the fact that I've been using a Vapbong with great results, but wanted something more stealthy and convenient which doesn't require a lighter on the road. Now I find that there is a very subtle and difficult to master technique, and many variations and workarounds, I'll give it another go though.

For sure bringing expectations to the party, while completely normal, can get in the way. These guys are pretty narrow in the ways they'll work since they've been optimized to efficiently run 'their way'. And they will only do so much, but IMO they do that part very well given a chance.

I don't think the technique is all that demanding or hard to learn, it's more, I think, a matter of there are a lot of otherwise reasonable ways that don't work well. Once you get it sorted out it almost be comes 'natural' to get good results without thinking about it. My advice remains to relax with it, follow the guidelines until is starts to give you results, then follow those results to the performance you're after.

Like people, they're all a bit different, best to take them as they come.

Is grinding necessary with the Evolution? If so, which grinder would grind to the perfect level of granularity for the Evo?

I think it helps. I find a 'medium' grind is fine, say to chunks the same diameter (not length) of uncooked rice? Bigger than the holes in the bottom, but not by a lot. Coarser than for MFLB and the conduction vapes. I like the medium size Space Case, although lots will do fine. The herb being on the dry side is also a big plus IMO. Any moisture in there just robs you of vapor until it's all evaporated out first, killing the battery needlessly.

OF

OF,

ugobo

Got my T1 last tuesday. Tried it right off the box and got bad results. I decided to put it away for a while and educate myself and learn more about this intriguing and interesting device. I'm currently reading this whole thread in my spare time since then. Right now i'm on page 71. Really interesting read!!! All the waitings,deceptions,discoveries,celebrations and dramas! I'm telling you once again,great reading.

I tried my T1 for the second time yesterday and this time the results were very good. I know it can be better. I mean,i know i can be better. This is exciting! Ok. Back to reading...

PB88123

Vaporist
Got my T1 last tuesday. Tried it right off the box and got bad results. I decided to put it away for a while and educate myself and learn more about this intriguing and interesting device. I'm currently reading this whole thread in my spare time since then. Right now i'm on page 71. Really interesting read!!! All the waitings,deceptions,discoveries,celebrations and dramas! I'm telling you once again,great reading.

I tried my T1 for the second time yesterday and this time the results were very good. I know it can be better. I mean,i know i can be better. This is exciting! Ok. Back to reading...

What I like to do is pack it up, 2 fresh batteries. I turn it on for 10 seconds and then start puffing (slow little inhales, exhale) till I see some vapor. Then I start my long and steady 20 second inhale.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker

Sounds like your well on your way. Great to see folks read up first and not fly off in frustration. I was one of those and just ended up killing my batteries. But with some technique tweaking, it all comes together.
Look forward to reading your experiences and opinions.
Pipes

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I guess this vape is a no go for me cause I can't hit for 20 seconds. I am about a 10 second hitter or I cough. It makes no difference if it is slow, medium or fast. Oh I want the perfect vape. I guess we are always on the quest which is why most of you own so many. Threads like this make my life easier so I don't waste money on stuff that won't work for me. I was very encouraged when this vape came out but after all the reading it isn't for me.

Dreamerr,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
So after using this glass top for a few sessions, I have found that you can tip the glass top at an angle to remove it, (instead of twisting or trying to pull it straight off) and the herb will spill into the glass top, allowing you to inspect and stir/shake it, then you can dump it back into the bowl, and recap the top to continue using it. Also noticed you can sometimes see the heat coil through the herb, depending on how tight it's packed. I am getting great vapor, but think that there is no way around having a screen in the top, to cover the air hole, esp. if you use it upside down on your glass, if you don't want bits pulling through.

AUfp0.jpg

iu0lU.jpg

8bteF.jpg

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
So after using this glass top for a few sessions, I have found that you can tip the glass top at an angle to remove it, (instead of twisting or trying to pull it straight off) and the herb will spill into the glass top, allowing you to inspect and stir/shake it, then you can dump it back into the bowl, and recap the top to continue using it. Also noticed you can sometimes see the heat coil through the herb, depending on how tight it's packed. I am getting great vapor, but think that there is no way around having a screen in the top, to cover the air hole, esp. if you use it upside down on your glass, if you don't want bits pulling through.
Perhpas a glass screen of the jack or flower variety would do the trick. Though, obviously, you gotta watch for it when you dump/stir, and I don't know if the clearance or dimensions are such that they would successfully hold the (glass) screen where it is placed. If so, that would obviously be preferrable, to maintain a fully glass pathway. Thank you for the early feedback, Jam! :tup:

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
My T1 glass mouthpiece is still on backorder, and I remember asking about what kind of (glass?) screen it came with when TV first announced it. Never got an answer, but if your experience is the same for the glass adapter as mine will be with the glass mouthpiece, the answer is "none".

I wonder how hot it's going to get? I wonder if a (delrin/ptfe) mouthpiece will fit in the end? And maybe my long delrin with a pressed UFO might fit? (That would remove the need for any screen). Sweet mysteries.
That said, I still can't wait, because almost anything will be better than the stock T1 cover. (Sorry TV, I love your stuff, I love my T1, I use almost everything you make, I plan on continuing to buy and use almost everything you make, I like dealing with you when I order, and I especially like your participation here, but the current T1 cover really sucks.)

(my DART came yesterday!!! I need some help using the PG, but I'll save that for the other thread.)

Haywood,

OF

I guess this vape is a no go for me cause I can't hit for 20 seconds. I am about a 10 second hitter or I cough. It makes no difference if it is slow, medium or fast.

I was very encouraged when this vape came out but after all the reading it isn't for me.

I'm not sure that's disqualifying. You need to move a fair bit of air through to heat the load before you get vapor. I and I think most users do this in a long pull, but understand there's no vapor then (the whole point). As another poster said a bit ago, some use a series of puffs instead to move the volume needed, you could do the same.

Once it's heated up and producing, the size of hit you take is up to you. You have complete control.

"It's hard to buy glasses for a friend" as they saying goes, but I don't think you can find a way to use it without taking large or long breaths.

We're all looking for the perfect vape as you point out, this one has some advantages you might want to consider. I don't think ability to take long breaths (with or without vapor) would prevent your being able to use it. I've no idea how much money you'd loose selling it again if it didn't work out, which would of course factor risk into your trying.

Good luck with your quest.

OF

Dreamerr

Thanks OF, so if I am reading it right I can take a bunch of breaths to heat then take the hit. If that is correct and I pass the learning curve this might work for me. Would it make a difference getting the T1 or the evolution?

If it doesn't work it would just be a waste of money since I have zero patience on reselling anything or even returning stuff for that matter.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: darkrom

OF

Thanks OF, so if I am reading it right I can take a bunch of breaths to heat then take the hit. If that is correct and I pass the learning curve this might work for me. Would it make a difference getting the T1 or the evolution?

If it doesn't work it would just be a waste of money since I have zero patience on reselling anything or even returning stuff for that matter.

Yes, that's what I'm awkwardly trying to say. It's the volume of air (and time it takes to do it, don't dally or it'll cool as you go), not how many 'hits' it took to move it. Most of us just combine our draw into one long puff counting on taste to tell us when it's near to right.

Think if it as a dozen 'test puffs' or more, with only the last one (the magic one that finally gets it hot enough) really counting?

I'm with you on selling gear I wasn't satisfied with (for whatever reason), and of course the stuff that works is mine, all mine..... Another option, if you have concentrates available is using the base unit from Evolution or T1 to power Revolution/DART. Given the choice between Evolution and T1, I'd lean toward T1, I think it gives you more control and the extra power makes the heat cycle faster. If you go Evolution I'd go SV for the time factor as well.

Good luck.

OF

PB88123

Vaporist

I like the more powerful T1.

Dreamerr

You guys are the best. I do the same with the davinci the first few puffs nothing till it gets to correct temp even though the temp says 375 on screen then I drop to 367 after first real hit. It looks like about the same in the T1, hit till heated then you are good to go. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm now I have to think ouch my head hurts. I was hoping the puffit would work but I am rethinking now since all the issues.

Can you take just a few hits on the T1 as you can on say the MFLB? I love the davinci but always feel I need to do the hole bowl since it stays heated and burns even after you turn it off. It seems like from what you say the T1 cools down way faster and won't keep burning your product. Is this true?

Dreamerr,

PB88123

Vaporist
Can you take just a few hits on the T1 as you can on say the MFLB? I love the davinci but always feel I need to do the hole bowl since it stays heated and burns even after you turn it off. It seems like from what you say the T1 cools down way faster and won't keep burning your product. Is this true?

Yes, you can just take a few hits and come back later and finish it. 30 minutes after I used it I looked at it and the outer edge was all green still (because I didn't stir) and the TV1 is at room temperature. I just knocked it all into the top cap and gave it a stir. Good to go now.

PB88123,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey guys, I received those little magnets we discussed a couple weeks back.
Made my first thumb rest. Works good. Does not stick as good as I had hoped but stays on not too bad. Falls off in your pocket though. But hey, nice to have and finding it very useful.

ThumbMod4.jpg

ThumbMod3.jpg

ThumbMod2.jpg

Kind of looks like a slug crawling up my TV. :o

Pipes

Pipes,
Reactions: OF

OF

Hey guys, I received those little magnets we discussed a couple weeks back.
Made my first thumb rest. Works good. Does not stick as good as I had hoped but stays on not too bad. Falls off in your pocket though. But hey, nice to have and finding it very useful.

Kind of looks like a slug crawling up my TV. :o

Very cool, thanks for the update, Pipes!

A couple of days ago I was playing with a few of them stuck to the refrigerator waiting for the tea water to boil and got to wondering how this was doing. I guess with enough of a lip it's going to get scraped off, but maybe more magnets next time? One thing sure, in you pocket with all those magnets it's going to be easy to find again.

OF

OF,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Very cool, thanks for the update, Pipes!

A couple of days ago I was playing with a few of them stuck to the refrigerator waiting for the tea water to boil and got to wondering how this was doing. I guess with enough of a lip it's going to get scraped off, but maybe more magnets next time? One thing sure, in you pocket with all those magnets it's going to be easy to find again.

OF
They do have some odd characteristics because of the polarizations. Found they do not seem to get more "pull" with quantity as you would expect. Since I made a mould I made another one with 10 of them embedded. I have not found much difference with the one I finished with 6 of them. Starting to wonder if they need to be arranged in the same polar profile? They are a bitch to mount because they want to attract to each other. Have to wait for the perfect time while the epoxy is setting to get the right viscosity to plunge them in place.
EDIT:opps, when you said the lip would get scaped oof I thought you were talking about the paint. Dhhh.
Anyway I do suspect the paint will get scratches. However, I did use spray appliance epoxy paint. Takes forever to cure to it's hardest finish. Time will tell.
The fun continues.
Thanks for the lead of them magnets OF.
Pipes

Pipes,

OF

Starting to wonder if they need to be arranged in the same polar profile? They are a bitch to mount because they want to attract to each other. Have to wait for the perfect time while the epoxy is setting to get the right viscosity to plunge them in place.

EDIT:opps, when you said the lip would get scaped oof I thought you were talking about the paint. Dhhh.

Yes, you have to consider N and S poles. Think 'magnetic circuits' from North through the material to South on the opposite one (yes, hard to build). Then I'd try a "return yoke" so the flux has a high permeability material do complete the circuit (otherwise the line of flux spread out like the child's experiment with the magnet under the paper with iron filings to find their way back. Each line of flux has to make the round trip). I'd try short pieces of steel, say strips of bobby pins? You know the flat steel clips women used to use in their hair? Just cut a strip to go across the tops of the pairs, strength (lines of flux per unit area) goes way up that way (magnetic 'resistance' goes way down).

There's actually an 'Ohm's law for magnets'. It has to do with MMF (Magnamotive Force) like voltage, relative permeability (relative to vacuum, like resistance) and strength (lines of flux per unit area, like current). It's what, for instance, determines how strong an electromagnet will be. A fun study all in itself, but the basic idea is to provide a short positive path for the flux. I'd try linking pairs of them after marking N (or S) ends of each.

And yes, I was thinking scraping your unit off, not the paint....which I also like.

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Thanks OF. last night I made up a couple more using the shunting you suggested above. It made it easier to place the magnets into the mould. Since they both attached to the shunt they must be reversed polarity. I used small steel washers for the shunt. However the finial result was not much different as far as attraction goes. Oh well, still works good, was just hoping for more stick appeal.

Pipes

Pipes,
Reactions: OF

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Thanks for the tip Pipes, I happen to have a clear tank laying around, and a larger drip tip that fit inside. I pulled the top off the Rev and stuck the core into the bottom of the clear tank. Now I can see my hits as they form inside the clear tank. The one I have is plastic, so I am thinking of searching a glass version at some point, just so I am not using plastic. Drip tip is anodized aluminum. Very cool idea, just got a few tokes in to see how it works...:ko:

jambandphan03,
Top Bottom