Discontinued ThermoVape Revolution for concentrates

ctweips

I need a straightforward opinion here. Is it worth the buy if I can only get a hold of bubble hash for a while? Will it work decently well even though it's not full melt necessarily? I think the $150 price is worth it compared to the $250 T1

ctweips,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
ctweips said:
I need a straightforward opinion here. Is it worth the buy if I can only get a hold of bubble hash for a while? Will it work decently well even though it's not full melt necessarily? I think the $150 price is worth it compared to the $250 T1
I wouldn't get it if you only have access to bubble hash. Just my :2c: . It works much, much better with fullmelts.

Stu,

OF

ctweips said:

Yes, I do think it's worth while even with only bubble hash and kief to feed it. You have to mess with it some (stir between hits) but it's the only vape that will work with these concentrates. Unless, of course, you want to mess with lighters and the Eclipse Vaape and try not to look like it's a crack pipe, which I have tried and don't recommend. You got to anti up to play the game.

BTW, 'full melts' don't always work all that well as they leave stuff behind still. "Super Melts", lighter colored oils and waxes seem to be a better fuel. But the Revolution is a tough unit, designed to work with cheaper (and easier to get) concentrates as well as 'the good stuff'.

However, as a happy TV owner I'm not sure I agree with your price/value view. But yes, Revolution is a great tool for bubble hash. Straightforward and clear enough for you?

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
you can always turn your bubble into qwiso. There are plenty of good youtube vids about how to do it, it's super easy.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: iksworbeZ

BudBuddy

The Vaped One
Works fine with bubble hash for me but just be prepared for a bit of fiddling, no more messing with it than anything else in reality.

BudBuddy,

ctweips

Thanks OF and Stu.

I think I definitely want to get the revolution especially with that statement by you OF. Thanks again

OF

ctweips said:
Thanks OF and Stu.

I think I definitely want to get the revolution especially with that statement by you OF. Thanks again

You're welcome. Dollars to doughnuts I'm betting you like it. You won't be alone in that for sure.

No advice about the wait, 'cept to say if you'd decided this a week ago, you'd have several days experience by now......

OF

OF,

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
got my tracking number, new free unit comin soon in priority mail! :) thermovape is awesome thank you!

Xchadb,

ctk2011

I ordered on Friday, and my unit came in yesterday.

I picked up this ewe-too wax from El Camino Wellness in Sacto. They have their stuff tested and listed it at: 74.4% THC 1.24% CBD.

AO2vJ.jpg

The Rev is MUCH smaller than I thought it would be, it has a great feel too. I took a very little dab of that wax and tried to get it on the pad as well as I could. I gave it a few warm-up activations and it all melted into the pad.

I need to work on my technique, my first draw didn't have any visible vapor, but I definitely could taste the wax. I think with this particular wax it needs a little more warming up - once I warmed up for 3-4 seconds before drawing I was blowing really huge flavorful clouds.

Right to the fucking dome.

I will say this, the rev is a different beast, it's REALLY easy to go way past where you were intending. I have quite the tolerance and am used to taking quite a few hits. I was going to post last night but I was super couch locked; it's been a long time since I've been that stoned.

Off all the vapes I own, this one was 5 minutes from opening the box to being stoned off my ass - a super easy experience so far.

ctk2011,

Soulhunter

Only had a tiny dab left to test the unit with, and i got two nice hits, but the third hit tasted like combustion.
And after that it was preaty much done, i scraped some scuff from my grinder, and this time it tasted like combustion on the first hit.
But hit number two tasted vapor.

So far i like the revolution, but i am out off consentrates for now :p

Soulhunter,

ctweips

What would be the best method of placing hash in the chamber? Rolling into a small ball?

ctweips,

mephisto

I like to get it warm, smash it flat and lay it in there. After a few roast, break it up and
lighten up on your pull. More surface area=better extraction. When its crispy, its done.

mephisto,

OF

mephisto said:
I like to get it warm, smash it flat and lay it in there.

This is really kinda funny. I like to "lay it in, get it warm, and smash it in there". For less than oils, waxes or super melts I put some through the window, run it for 10 seconds or so to heat it up and soften it some (if it's kief, this kind of sticks it together some). I then stir it with a wooden toothpick, maybe heating it a bit more, to get good contact with the floor. Then hit it a couple of times before stirring again.

Funny how the wording can be rearranged like some word game for guys with leather pads on their elbows.

OF

OF,
I am having issues now with cleaning mine and bad flavor - hopefully to be resolved by proper cleaning and support with Thermo. It was the best tasting ever, and now its metalic and unusable. (bought it 10 days ago, I'm a heavy user, boiled 3x now).

After a iso soaking and boiling, still bad this time, but Thermo support responded fast with instructions (longer soak, longer boil, burn out whats inside).

I use only transparent LIGHT amber glass oils. Fingers crossed I'll report back asap!

Question to Thermo: What about an ultrasonic cleaner? That would solve everything for hardcore users - just drop it in every night next to your dentures (kidding)
There are even cleaners that heat the water....
(http://www.amazon.com/Kendal-INDUST...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328646950&sr=1-1)

Zorro420shouldbefree,

ctk2011

Zorro420shouldbefree said:
...[edit]

Question to Thermo: What about an ultrasonic cleaner?

This is something I'm interested in finding out too. TV, would an ultrasonic cleaner be safe to use?

ctk2011,
So I just pulled it out of the Iso -3rd time - boiled - baked at 200.

Now its not vaping when I hold it on, but the funny smell is there, just faint. I loaded with a dab, still tasting really bad. Basically just puffed it all out not wanting to inhale the weirdness. Reluctantly added a little more, flavor improving but still smokey and completely unorganic (same stuff is like honey if you herbalaire it)

Perhaps when you use the battery base to dry it, it burns anything that is left in there (I don't see how after only a week of use and with such good oils and such a hardcore cleaning - taking hours at this point). Then when you load, perhaps it mixes into the burned nastiness, so maybe its best to oven dry and load before turning it on? After a little over a week of use this seems a bit much but I am heavy user.

Up till yesterday I was #1 fan but honestly I'm a bit discouraged by portable vapor technology at this point... I put a dab on herb in my herbalaire through a jhooked ashcatcher and its just plain trouble free and perfect taste... Glass on glass globe and nail sounds like the real deal for home.

I have not seen anyone else on this thread complain, which is highly encouraging. It means one of some 4 things:

Either
A: I'm the biggest stoner here - doubt that...
B: I put something nasty in it - Nothing but light amber glass - perfect taste on anything else
C: I got a lemon - luck of the draw? Fair enough.
D: I have misunderstood the cleaning process, or how often it needs to be done, therefore managed to make it require an extreme cleaning after 10 days with 2 boilings during the week.

Either way at this point its a paperweight and its staring to piss me off. (deep breath, hehe). I'll try cleaning it again...

Maybe a big stoner needs to have 2-3 cartridges to rotate for cleaning often enough? By big I mean I vape .2-.4 grams of good oil a day....

Zorro420shouldbefree,

BudBuddy

The Vaped One
I've had mine for a little over two weeks and have ran at least ten different concentrates and only one was of amber color, still haven't cleaned it and the taste of each one comes through no problem. It's all an oily mess in the cart too but doesn't hinder function.

I would be frustrated if I was in the same situation. I'm thinking a lemon just because it's way out of the ordinary experience even with all that cleaning (which you seem to be doing right, I'd omit the oven and wait overnight though). Your well protected within the time frame so just ask for a replacement and hope for the best. Like you said, its a great device when its working correctly.

BudBuddy,
Good word Budbuddy, I dont want to give up on this thing, Its been nothing but pleasure up until now.

Flavor is improving but still unacceptable. I have a feeling that whatever it is that makes some of these taste like crap on the first use - mine had a double helping.

It really does sound like I have a funky unit based on other peoples experiences.

Anyone else get the nasty flavor everytime they clean it? This tasted off each time I boiled it, apparently compounding this last one it became absurd, like a BBQ....

Zorro420shouldbefree,

OF

Perhaps when you use the battery base to dry it, it burns anything that is left in there (I don't see how after only a week of use and with such good oils and such a hardcore cleaning - taking hours at this point). Then when you load, perhaps it mixes into the burned nastiness, so maybe its best to oven dry and load before turning it on? After a little over a week of use this seems a bit much but I am heavy user.

I have not seen anyone else on this thread complain, which is highly encouraging. It means one of some 4 things:

Either
A: I'm the biggest stoner here - doubt that...
B: I put something nasty in it - Nothing but light amber glass - perfect taste on anything else
C: I got a lemon - luck of the draw? Fair enough.
D: I have misunderstood the cleaning process, or how often it needs to be done, therefore managed to make it require an extreme cleaning after 10 days with 2 boilings during the week.

Let me suggest we combine these thoughts and create a "E:"? That being that your 'drying exercise' drove the internal temperatures higher than ever before and burned the residue that was there. If your concentrate is say 70% THC, it's 30% something else. Not all of that evaporates well I'm thinking. Once burnt grunge is stuck in the porous ceramic it's .... stuck in the porous ceramic?

We all know how hard it is to get the nasty taste out of one's MFLB if you combust, why not here?

I think running the heater flat out for long times to dry things out is not a good idea.

OF

OF,
OF said:
I think running the heater flat out for long times to dry things out is not a good idea.

OF

Agreed! That makes perfect sense with my experience. Then why is that the first thing he does in the cleaning video on his website? I was doing my absolute best to research before cleaning. On top of that, (I know its impossible to confirm) I am using the cleanest shit imaginable. Why aren't people using nasty shit complaining? I am guessing because theirs are functioning properly... Or.. Here is a thought.. What if a really really pure oil stands a greater chance of gumming up the internals... whereas a cheaper oil holds the impure stuff above the ceramic?

Zorro420shouldbefree,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I have been noticing a burned metallic taste in mine these last couple of loads. I have cleaned mine twice, the same way, soaking in Iso for a while, then boiling for about 30 mins or longer, over night dry. I wonder if there is some corroding going on after the baths. I was going to chock it up to putting not as pure qwiso oil in there, but after cleaning it twice, and loading it with some quality bho, it still has that burned metal taste. I just put a fresh load in to be sure it was not just running dry, and still getting that flavor pretty strong. Mine was going really well too, hmmmm I hope the cleaning didn't mess it up.

** just to confirm it was not my bho oil, I tested it with some melty bubble hash, and some keif, with the same results.

jambandphan03,
And you used overnight drying....

Well that potentially rules out "E"

Thermo suggested that I torch it red hot to burn anything up inside. I need clarification. Does that mean i blast the outside of the cart-base with a butane or propane flame, then iso and boil/dry?

Again, this is only 10 days of non-abusive use. I have never had any resonated bowl, burned or not taste like this.

Mind you - I still have faith - This was the best portable vape experience ive had... I just want it back now!

Zorro420shouldbefree,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Well, mine isn't so bad that I would say it is unusable... it just has a distinct metal taste. Def. not a deal breaker for me.

jambandphan03,

OF

OF said:

OF

Agreed! That makes perfect sense with my experience. Then why is that the first thing he does in the cleaning video on his website? I was doing my absolute best to research before cleaning. On top of that, (I know its impossible to confirm) I am using the cleanest shit imaginable. Why aren't people using nasty shit complaining? I am guessing because theirs are functioning properly... Or.. Here is a thought.. What if a really really pure oil stands a greater chance of gumming up the internals... whereas a cheaper oil holds the impure stuff above the ceramic?

A mystery for sure, but hopefully one with an answer we can find. The super pure oil idea (basically a THC solvent with stuff dissolved in it) is an interesting one.

I could see over time leaving deposits like the junk that collects in a hot water heater. And there's no drain to flush it out...... Perhaps a boil in something other than water? I'm not suggesting you try that, just thinking out loud. In the past I've worked with UHV (Ultra High vacuum) stuff where a tiny fraction of a fingerprint can foul the works. Boiling stuff in Heptane is common in some areas. Our lab used Acetone vapor washing (boil Acetone then let it condense and drip off your parts as they sit on a water cooled shelf inside the tank) after a boil. No fair doing that stuff without a proper fume hood and a lot of thought.....

Be fun to see how this unfolds. Thanks for the information.

Thermo suggested that I torch it red hot to burn anything up inside. I need clarification. Does that mean i blast the outside of the cart-base with a butane or propane flame, then iso and boil/dry?

Boy, that one merits getting clear on. I strongly doubt you should take a torch to the connector end of the insert, there's a PTFE button in there that won't take kindly to the kind of heat you can generate with a torch. "Torch it" is a slang expression as well, perhaps the idea is to run it dry to make it easier to clean (which I've done to work on surface fouling), it does seem to flash stuff off like when you do the same sort of thing on the MFLB. I'm just worried that there's a chance there's stuff in there with it with nowhere to go?

Please keep us posted, guys?

OF

OF,
Top Bottom