Discontinued ThermoVape Revolution for concentrates

OF said:
Boiling stuff in Heptane is common in some areas. Our lab used Acetone vapor washing (boil Acetone then let it condense and drip off your parts as they sit on a water cooled shelf inside the tank) after a boil. No fair doing that stuff without a proper fume hood and a lot of thought.....

Be fun to see how this unfolds. Thanks for the information.
I have read about people putting ISO in a heated ultrasonic cleaner - with flammable fluid this feels a little less then smart... Though perhaps an unheated one would help as well... Or using the water bath to preheat the iso trick....

Zorro420shouldbefree,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
hmmm just thinking about the fact that I used tap water to boil my Rev, and there could be all kinds of deposits from the tap water getting down in the heat core. Had not considered that. Maybe try distilled water for the next boil...see if there is a difference.

jambandphan03,

OF

Zorro420shouldbefree said:
OF said:
Boiling stuff in Heptane is common in some areas. Our lab used Acetone vapor washing (boil Acetone then let it condense and drip off your parts as they sit on a water cooled shelf inside the tank) after a boil. No fair doing that stuff without a proper fume hood and a lot of thought.....

Be fun to see how this unfolds. Thanks for the information.
I have read about people putting ISO in a heated ultrasonic cleaner - with flammable fluid this feels a little less then smart... Though perhaps an unheated one would help as well... Or using the water bath to preheat the iso trick....

Yes. I've always done it cold and in a fume hood at work. At home, I put it in a small vial with the ISO then put that in the ultrasonic sink (with enough fluid to couple). This traps the fumes in the vial.

Otherwise, if you want to gain some respect for 'safe' stuff like ISO, try a modest spray of it at the BBQ some time.....carefully. The sprayer I use takes 3 sprays to fill a 1/6 dram vial. Each spray is about two drops......it's scary. Stuff is dangerous.

OF

Edit: I forgot to mention, I'm not so sure lots of time in the Ultrasonic is a great idea as I'm concerned about vibrations in the heater coil (it 'hangs' on it's leads and has a solid core in it) and ceramic bits (they could break down?). Perhaps TV has some guidance to offer?

OF,

BudBuddy

The Vaped One
I think when I finally clean mine, probably this week, I will pull the two pieces apart on the cart and just do a few quick iso baths, scrubbing it clean with an old tooth brush. Seems like that's all it would really need to clean mine out. Also seems like overkill doing anything else given all the problems that are occurring after what would be considered thorough cleaning.

BudBuddy,

ctk2011

For what it is worth, I did email TV about ultrasonic cleaners, here is what the reply was:

Please, go ahead and use it. Just make sure the unit is rinsed clean and left to air dry for best results.
Let us know how it goes!
Cheers,
Noah

I was thinking of picking up a small jewelery ultrasonic cleaner and trying it with distilled water ...

ctk2011,
REDEEMED!
It's FIXED!! :):):):):):):):)

So here is my testimony. I wrote Thermo 2x, both times he responded within 2 hours.

The solution to this problem is : Clean the cart (Iso, boil, convection). Put in fresh batteries. Hold for 20 seconds, release for 20 seconds. Repeat 20 times.

That's what Thermo told me to do, and it worked. ROCK.

Try it Jam!!!

Zorro420shouldbefree,

OF

REDEEMED!
It's FIXED!! :):):):):):):):)

So here is my testimony. I wrote Thermo 2x, both times he responded within 2 hours.

The solution to this problem is : Clean the cart (Iso, boil, convection). Put in fresh batteries. Hold for 20 seconds, release for 20 seconds. Repeat 20 times.

That's what Thermo told me to do, and it worked. ROCK.

Try it Jam!!!

Way cool. So the 'same old' ISO soak and water boiling then drying out. Followed by 20 cycles of 20 on, 20 off? I assume the duty cycle controls the heat reached in the seven minutes or so of the burn it?

Anyway, a great tip/insight. Somebody should be noting this stuff somewhere.......

Thanks very much for the news.

Now, get back to testing......

OF

OF,
I am guessing it is to heat up and get rid of whats inside... without burning/overheating it to a unpleasant level..

Once this stuff burns in a penvape - it seriously locks a bad flavor in.

So perhaps a good rest between hits is wise.

I will also say that its hitting even harder now... Flavor is not perfect but acceptable and I feel quite optimistic it will return to normality with some more tasty oil - not gonna happen for a few hours, heheheh.

Zorro420shouldbefree,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right

By "convection" do you mean in oven @ 200 for an hour as they previously suggested for drying?

If so, then what is the purpose of the 20 on/20 off cycling?

Sinclue,
Yes! 200 in the convection oven.

The 20/20 was because for some reason mine became unusably metallic/burned tasting and cleaning was not helping.

What I observed was that after each cleaning it got worse and worse.

Leading me to believe that each time I used the battery to dry it by just holding it down for 2 minutes, I was burning whatever residue had not escaped somehow.

I think - you should always convection dry it, but - if you need to burn out something, use this 20-20 technique. Likewise let it rest after any 20 second hold for 20 seconds.

I'm going to get another cart so I can clean them more often, and I am going to apply this knowledge and hope for the best.

Likewise, I am going to use portable vapes less now. They achieved their highest purpose already - I no longer smoke - Now I will get back into my VHW etc...
But when I am playing jazz drums at a restaurant, playing frisbee golf, gardening, etc.... Thermo will be my superman cape.....

Zorro420shouldbefree,

Zipsort

Not too happy with my Thermovape..

Just got it in the mail today after being sent back to cali for some stupid reason (usps fucked up or something) it finally arrived today

charged up both sets of batts and tested it out, first with a small amount.

Nothing

then i put a ton in, like .4 or so, small chunk sizes

still nothing, I could tell it was working because I was inhaling the heat and it was giving off a nasty metallic taste like stated above..

I tried all sorts of stuff, I heated it up without pulling on it for 20 seconds and still no visible vapor.. after maybe 20 pulls i got 1 or 2 decent clouds and that was it.

Also, we tried two different concentrates, homemade and stuff from a collective.

If anyone has any tips here let me know cause so far I am not impressed

Zipsort,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Can you confirm the stuff melted down, maybe by stirring? Maybe there was a bubble that stopped it from going down?

How did you fit .4 in there? That sounds like way too much...

I loaded up about .05 in there or less, yesterday, and it's lasted me until now....

sessnet,

Zipsort

sessnet said:
Can you confirm the stuff melted down, maybe by stirring? Maybe there was a bubble that stopped it from going down?

I loaded up about .05 in there or less, yesterday, and it's lasted me until now....

I side loaded the 1 rip, like a normal dab i would hit off a nail.

Didnt work

I top loaded .4, I weighed the cart before and after. I dunno, i just kept dropping balls in there and smushin em down

id say out of 150 tries i got like 5 good rips

Zipsort,

OF

Zipsort said:
sessnet said:

Didnt work

I top loaded .4, I weighed the cart before and after. I dunno, i just kept dropping balls in there and smushin em down

So now you have half a gram of solid concentrate on top of the heater? I don't doubt a bit that you're not getting any useful vapor. Trying to melt all that concentrate is taking all the heat the unit can deliver.

I think you should dig out as much as you can get out and see how much is left. Lucky you noted the weight. TV said to not put more than five drops of oil into the ceramic, less than .1 grams.

Don't confuse the Revolution with Omicron. They use two very different systems. Omicron might hold a gram, but it feeds a few mg at a time to the heater, not the full load like you're trying to do.

So I'd break out the wooden toothpicks and see how much I could get back out. If you can get it down low enough you may be able to sort it out. Good luck.

OF

OF,

Zipsort

OF said:
Zipsort said:
sessnet said:

Didnt work

So now you have half a gram of solid concentrate on top of the heater? I don't doubt a bit that you're not getting any useful vapor. Trying to melt all that concentrate is taking all the heat the unit can deliver.

I think you should dig out as much as you can get out and see how much is left. Lucky you noted the weight. TV said to not put more than five drops of oil into the ceramic, less than .1 grams.

Don't confuse the Revolution with Omicron. They use two very different systems. Omicron might hold a gram, but it feeds a few mg at a time to the heater, not the full load like you're trying to do.

So I'd break out the wooden toothpicks and see how much I could get back out. If you can get it down low enough you may be able to sort it out. Good luck.

OF

I already knew all this.

we already tried .1, or even less. Both me and my roommate, and it produced zero results. No vapor. I dropped it right on top of the ceramic.

so naturally, we thought it wasnt enough. Both tests, I could inhale heat and taste nasty metal, but no visible clouds.

We tried both kinds of oil both ways (little amount and large dabs)

My tolerance is higher than most (.2 is a normal dab for me on a nail) but still, I can tell if I am getting something even if its little

I have an e cig and other vaporizers and this is not acting like I had hoped it would

Zipsort,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I found I can get clouds like this:

Heat for 15 seconds...start puffing with short, pulses or puffs (sort of like someone lighting a cigar).

For a few seconds you won't see anything, and only taste the heat and oil a bit.

Continue the short puffs and after about 20 seconds you should see vapor when you exhale the short, strong puffs.

it can take up to, and over 30 seconds before you see it's really working.

Then you can change it up and find the right pull that works for you.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping you figure it out. Best of luck!

sessnet,

weedemon

enthusiast
using an omicron tip over the mouthpiece, and then attached to a mflb whip, it fits on beautifully and now you can see the vapor!

this means you can figure out what is the best draw type to maximise vapor density! I found smaller timed puffs over a longer duration with a 5 s warm up time the best now!

weedemon,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I think the new ceramic has a break in period, it seemed to me that my first few loads just got absorbed into the ceramic, and took a few tries to get it saturated enough with oil to start getting good vapor. Now even with cleaning, my ceramic seems broke in, and enough residue stays in there to allow the oil to wick right down into the heat coil instead of just absorbing into the porous ceramic...this is just my theory of what is going on the first few tries. I will usually put a dab in there, heat it and watch through the window until I see it melt down and the first wisp of vapor start, then I will put the cap on and vape... it takes a little getting used to. I hope you can work it out.

jambandphan03,

OF

Zipsort said:
I already knew all this.

we already tried .1, or even less. Both me and my roommate, and it produced zero results. No vapor. I dropped it right on top of the ceramic.

so naturally, we thought it wasnt enough. Both tests, I could inhale heat and taste nasty metal, but no visible clouds.

We tried both kinds of oil both ways (little amount and large dabs)

My tolerance is higher than most (.2 is a normal dab for me on a nail) but still, I can tell if I am getting something even if its little

I have an e cig and other vaporizers and this is not acting like I had hoped it would

Glad to hear you already knew it all, sorry I missed that part. But why then did you put in WAY more material than it's designed for? I still think that's at the root of things now.

As another guy said above, the usual deal is to melt it down and watch it get absorbed into the ceramic sponge. Further heating will show wisps of vapor. Closing the window and drawing air up through the heater will then pull the vapors from inside the heater out and up.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss to understand what's up. If it gets hot (the body of the assembly should be hot to the touch after half a minute or so total heating) and there's good concentrate absorbed into the ceramic it's got to get hot enough to deliver vapor unless not enough heat is available as it's being used to try to melt all that material?

If it were mine, I'd probably dig out as much as I could and then boil the unit clean and start again with a few drops. I'd watch it melt down into the ceramic, watch for wisps of vapor, then give it a go.

Good luck.

OF

OF,

Zipsort

OF said:
But why then did you put in WAY more material than it's designed for?

..because I already tried initially the way it was designed for and it didn't work (like previously stated)

ive been puffin nd messin with it all night and still cant get consistent rips. weather its empty and i put a tiny drop or i load hella in there it still wont give me visible clouds.

I get the taste and i can feel the hot air, but no fat vapor clouds

If it were mine, I'd probably dig out as much as I could and then boil the unit clean and start again with a few drops. I'd watch it melt down into the ceramic, watch for wisps of vapor, then give it a go.

This is what we did when we first fired it up.. brand new, dropped a tiny little dibble right on the heater, heated it up and then closed the window and tried ripping it and it hardly gave us anything

so, after a few of those, i said fuck it, and jammed the window with oil, and still gave me nothing.

either the oil im using is too sticky and not vaping well or the unit is not working properly, my only two conclusions

Zipsort,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Sounds like a defective unit. You should contact TV.

I get plenty of visible clouds using the cigar puffing technique, but I wasn't getting really full hits like I got at first. I'm in the final drying stages of a 2x iso soak and 2x boil of my unit and I plan on giving mine another go tomorrow with some Platinum Bubba earwax.

Results forthcoming...

Stu,

OF

Zipsort said:
either the oil im using is too sticky and not vaping well or the unit is not working properly, my only two conclusions

I thought you said you tried two different oils, one from a clinic? Seems highly unlikely both are bunk, these guys will vape kief and bubble hash with the right techniques. Rather, I'm thinking, the oil isn't getting absorbed into the ceramic for whatever reason.

It could be a defective unit, but I highly doubt that. It would be the first we've heard of that got hot and didn't vape. Or maybe even the first unit that failed to vape for any reason? IMO if the unit gets hot enough to see the glow inside when new, it's got to be getting hot enough.

I am a little concerned about expectations from a guy used to doing fifth gram dabs however. Such a volume is way past the Revolution IMO. I'll load 50mg of wax (a quarter of that 'dab') and get half a dozen or so strong hits from it. I don't think there's enough energy available to vaporize the amount you're looking for in one go (which is why you need a big torch and a lot of hot metal to do dabs), by an order or magnitude and then some?

And I'm fairly sure that since the unit wasn't designed to have half a gram in it it's not going to do at all well this way. One thing sure, there's a lot of us feeding it the recommended load without such issues. In fact, AFAIK all the other customers?

Good luck, but in the end you may need more horse to stay in the race?

OF

OF,
Top Bottom