Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

niceone

I have managed to lose the Evo insulating sleeve with the little filter in the top. While I can still use the Evo without it by putting the mouthpiece directly into the metal tube, without the little filter, bits of herb keep getting into my mouth.

I will probably buy a new sleeve if I don't find the old one, but I'm going to wait for a sale as the international shipping is quite expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions for something I could use in the meantime to replace the filter?

niceone,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
The normal Delrin will work but will deform from the heat. You can form a small screen into a thimbo type shape and fit into the hole in the month piece such that the rounded part sticks out of the bottom of the mouth piece. Works OK but the UFO is best.
Pipes

Pipes,

niceone

Thanks Pipes! I took a regular pipe screen I had lying around, cut it into a circle a bit bigger than the mouthpiece, and then jammed the edges inside the mouthpiece so that the screen forms a little dome sticking out of the mouthpiece. It works great and stays in nicely.

I am definitely looking at this as a temporary measure and intend to replace the insulating sleeve next time there is a sale, if I haven't found the old one by then. I'm not too concerned at the thought of deforming the mouthpiece, as I bought a few extras for sharing when I got my LV kit. (This turned out to have been wise, as I have also lost a mouthpiece! I will probably pick up a couple more next time I make an order.)

Nice to know the screen trick in case I misplace the sleeve again. And maybe I should get two sleeves while I'm at it, too!

By the way, my personal experience has been that the LV is just fine for sharing small quantities with friends. (That's another reason I bought the extra mouthpieces.) It would get frustrating to have to share the device with somebody long-term, but for a short period of use I thought it was just fine for socializing with. Just bring lots of batteries and keep your charger running!

niceone,

niceone

You know what, I am also noticing that the Evo seems to heat up a bit faster and more evenly without the sleeve. I was happy with the way it worked with the sleeve on, and it wouldn't have occurred to me to try it without before I misplaced it. But I do note somewhat of an improvement in the performance now. I seem to get a better draw, too.

I'm thinking I could use this instead: http://thermovape.com/collections/all/products/thermovape-tru-flow-ufo-mouthpiece

It says: "...the PTFE version may be used directly with the Evolution Heater Core Cartridge, without the insulating sleeve."

niceone,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Glad I could help, have done it myself. A quick wipe and blow throw cleans it for the most part. When it does clog, some ISO on a paper towel will unclog without having to remove it. Although that's not a big deal neither.
Pipes

Pipes,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
You know what, I am also noticing that the Evo seems to heat up a bit faster and more evenly without the sleeve. I was happy with the way it worked with the sleeve on, and it wouldn't have occurred to me to try it without before I misplaced it. But I do note somewhat of an improvement in the performance now. I seem to get a better draw, too.

I'm thinking I could use this instead: http://thermovape.com/collections/all/products/thermovape-tru-flow-ufo-mouthpiece

It says: "...the PTFE version may be used directly with the Evolution Heater Core Cartridge, without the insulating sleeve."
Yep, that's what I understand from what I have read as well and if you order that UFO get the high heat PTFE (cream one). I was going to try as well and use some thick medical tubing to keep from burning myself. (at least not too badly)
Something to try tonight....

Pipes,
I figured out a good way to insulate the heating core and stem so that you don't burn the shit out of yourself if using the Evo without the cover. This idea was spurred by someone else who mentioned hemp. Anyway, I went and bought some 1/8" black leather strips today at Hobby Lobby ($4.99 for 8 yards, so plenty to replace when this one gets worn). I wrapped that around the stem, tying off at both ends. Then, I took the UFO from my cover and put it into the extended mouthpiece. So far, this has solved both the hear problem and the particles problem. I decided not to use the smoothflow in this case in order to keep the stem short.

The leather does a great job insulating the heat. I can grasp the heated stem at full heat, and it is just warm to the touch. It also helps to gage the temp of the heating element. Also, I'm not getting too much heat at the mouthpiece with this setup. It's perfectly comfortable to use.

I'll experiment more, but I am liking this so far.

003.jpg

Y'all might try this. It works well for me although I am currently experimenting with the shield again. Still, the leather provides good insulation and doesn't look too ghetto.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Y'all might try this. It works well for me although I am currently experimenting with the shield again. Still, the leather provides good insulation and doesn't look too ghetto.
Cool, reminds me of a mod I did on my VG Bat. I used some material from a MagLite holder. Same stuff I see on the back of the poach in the picture above. It melts together nicely with a torch lighter but have to be quick. Just wrap some around and cut the size and heat it and crimp together. Kind of like when you melt the end on a nylon rope to keep from unravelling. A sleeve made of that is an idea as well. To see what I did click on the VG Bat in my signature.

Pipes

Pipes,

OF

ahh, I put it on the second to last, maybe that was not helping. thanks

Round two tonight!

It also works OK without the ring, just don't use the heat shield for a handle when it's hot. While learning the device it might be easier to leave it out? I learned mine before the rings happened, works the same basically only one less thing to mess up.

OF

OF,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Ordered the evolution cartridge today while I wait to hear back from Tim about my T1 fiasco. I miss my portable and I've been meaning to give the evo a try, especially now that I have glass. The T1 glass adapter is $30 or the full evo for $60ish. No brainer for me especially since this will help me get my portable back up and running while I wait to see what I can do about the T1.

darkrom,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Ordered the T1 so I am going to stop following/posting in this tread and just stay in the T1 thread.. To keep from confusing myself or others.. LOL

Thanks!

Kuroth1,

OF

Ordered the T1 so I am going to stop following/posting in this tread and just stay in the T1 thread.. To keep from confusing myself or others.. LOL

Thanks!

Your call, look forward to chatting with you there then.

I hope it helps with your confusion, but frankly we were really confused long before your sails came over the horizon......

Regards and best wishes with the T1

OF

RagingWinds

Does the Smooth-flow prevent debris going through too? I may have to pick one of those^ up as well if not

RagingWinds,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
The smooth flow does not stop debris from passing through, it is hollow in the middle, but you can cut a tiny round screen to fit just under the mouth piece, and that will block any pull through.

jambandphan03,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
The smooth flow does not stop debris from passing through, it is hollow in the middle, but you can cut a tiny round screen to fit just under the mouth piece, and that will block any pull through.
Is it possible to use the UFO on the Smooth Flow.?
Would be an expensive option though if possible.

Pipes,

niceone

I found my sleeve! Y- ay!!

Just in time too, as it didn't take that delrin mouthpiece long to melt. You called that one, Pipes.

Next order I will go for aluminum &/or PTFE mouthpieces, and get an extra insulating sleeve and a UFO mouthpiece.

niceone,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I found my sleeve! Y- ay!!

Just in time too, as it didn't take that delrin mouthpiece long to melt. You called that one, Pipes.

Next order I will go for aluminum &/or PTFE mouthpieces, and get an extra insulating sleeve and a UFO mouthpiece.
It does get hot up there. Like over 350 degrees. I wouldn't go for the aluminium as it will burn your lips in this application. (More for e-cig I think)
Ideally a UFO in the Smooth flow with PTFE month piece sounds good. Just not sure if the UFO will fit as I do not have a Smooth Flow.
Pipes

Pipes,
I have gone back to using the Delrin sleeve for awhile since I was worried about melting my mouthpiece, and I have been having some interesting results. It doesn't seem to matter what I do; while I can get visible vapor with the sleeve on, I cannot get anything more than whispy vapor no matter what I do. HOWEVER, despite the lack of visible vapor, I am getting really high using a modified Haywood method, and my abv is coming out pretty dark.

The "Haywood method," in case anyone is wondering, is a primer followed by a true hit while holding the power button on continuously. My "modified Haywood" is a primer hit followed by two true hits while holding the power button on continuously. I find the second true hit to "feel" pretty heavy, but still I lack much visible vapor. One loaded stem gives me two rounds of the "modified Haywood," and my abv comes out looking like this (I've included my Evo for a color reference):

GOZFB.jpg

How does this compare to the abv you all are getting? I'm thinking the lack of visible vapor will work better for me if I am getting good results and relatively spent abv since I actually bought this as an in-public stealth vape.

EDIT: Imgur worked. thanks darkrom!

TheDudeNextDoor,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Haven't heard from TV about my T1 issues yet, but I just emailed Tim today. I tried to get him to ship the replacement parts needed with my EVO, but the EVO shipped out today. No big deal really. I guess that just means I can have an Evo while waiting to hear back about the T1. Hope I like it!

darkrom,

JoeKickass

I can get abv any color I like...

Try 45s preheat.

Also draw slow until you feel the air warm up, then draw faster, but I don't turn it off until I'm done with the bowl (usually less than 5 hits) and the abv is brown with tiny bits of yellow and black.

If abv is too light simply hold it longer, give it a 15s warmup after the unsatisfying hit, etc.

JoeKickass,

darkrom

Great Scott!
LOL. They are down for maintenance! Thanks for the link, though. I will try it when they are back up.

Never mind. They are back up suddenly. Trying now.

If they are down blame reddit :p they will be back up soon. They are never down for long at all.

darkrom,
So I hope im not asking a question that has been answered already but what is the oder like on these evos when just using the standard 6v kit with dried herbs?

iDropDatsik,

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
Fathers day is now less than a week away and if your still looking for a gift for your father you might want to take a look at our latest products. We are offering 25% off to help assist your gift giving.
That's right, ANOTHER 25% off discount!!!

Sale ends on Monday, June 18th

Code: ILOVEDAD

Top Bottom