Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yeah, I did that a couple of times as well. However, while doing it the last time it packed in. The light came on when the battery was put in, it had to go in for service. I doubt that's what killed it, but until I'm sure I can't recommend the practice. The latest word from THC says it's OK (it actually just under 5 amps), but.....

And another point, performance was still sub standard relative to the TV units since the Persei had a bigger drop (not as severe as V2 as I recall). I'm hoping the VV upgrade will fix this issue.

But yes, Persei did drive my LV Evolution a few times nearly as well as the TV unit......until it blew up.

OTOH, if I'm following the destruction correctly, you could pull what's left of the bowl/heat core out and screw an Evolution into the T1 adapter base, right? Only the part above the switch is wrecked?

As a guess, you've never worked a Service Desk? Or done Field Circus? There's well over 10,000 TV vapes out there, at this point anything is possible. Anything.

OF

Yeah I'm almost 100% positive I could just get the evo 6v and be fine. But JUST an $85 mistake still stings :\

I'm a little too vaked to follow, but are you saying that the persei and the 18650 with the LV ebo may have killed the persei? I don't want to be breaking anymore things, especially ones I haven't saved up to purchase yet.

darkrom,

OF

Thats true OF, he could screw a 6 volt Evo right into the ThermoCore interface piece . . . good thinking, and saves $$$ to boot. :tup:

Thanks.

I think that's the lowest cost way forward, but the threads at the bottom where the core threads in have to be intact. It occurs to me if it's the original 2 piece adapter (has reverse threads in the middle) you could also unthread it there and discard the top half of the adapter? You'd probably want to strip the metal out and use some heat to kill the glue on the reverse threads.....

OF

OF,

PB88123

Vaporist
Yeah I'm almost 100% positive I could just get the evo 6v and be fine. But JUST an $85 mistake still stings :\

I'm a little too vaked to follow, but are you saying that the persei and the 18650 with the LV ebo may have killed the persei? I don't want to be breaking anymore things, especially ones I haven't saved up to purchase yet.

Another way I forgot about (mentioned above)

$35
http://thermovape.com/collections/all/products/theremovape-evolution-heating-core-and-cartridge

$10
http://thermovape.com/collections/all/products/evolution-heat-shield

$2.49
http://thermovape.com/collections/all/products/thermovape-o-ring-kit

$47.50 and you can just screw it into where the T1 bowl would go as long as it isn't wrecked.

PB88123,
Reactions: darkrom

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
am curious as to that myself since that was the suggestion OF had for me last time i asked which evo i should get. now he is saying it broke the persei? why, how?

Bob Loblaw,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Are the adapters no longer 2 pieces with the reverse threads? That fucker has been driving me nuts and I thought it was just me screwing it up or something. Tonight was costly. I'll need to take some pics and figure out where the hell its at.

darkrom,

OF

No, I'm saying I think it's 'only' a sixty dollar one, you don't need some of that, this is what you need if you can salvage the adapter below the core:
http://thermovape.com/collections/all/products/thermovape-evolutuon-standard-voltage-white

Yes, it happened just like that. I was running my LV Evolution on the OneLove adapter on top of my Persei with an IMR 18650. Note this is a 1600 mAh unit (AW), 2000s are available at slightly lower output, but that's not really any better than the 17670 used in the TV LV rig (also 1600 mAh). I doubt the Evolution caused any problems, but I'd hate it if you had the same trouble and I didn't pass on the caution.

My advice is leaning to the $60 solution (SV Evolution on your body).

OF

OF,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
If you decide to get the 6 V EVO upgrade it gives you 510 options for other devices requiring a power handle. Like the fun I have been having with my Bulli. (See signature) And many other possibilities.
This TV 510 handle is great as it is direct power (No electronics) and the top has good heat handling characteristics. Also, you can still use other batteries in this handle but must be protected at least if not IMR or LifePo4 safe inherent technologies. My understanding is the T1 is limited to the LifePo4 for the excessive current draw.
:smug:
Just some food for thought.

Pipes,

JoeKickass

am curious as to that myself since that was the suggestion OF had for me last time i asked which evo i should get. now he is saying it broke the persei? why, how?

He's just saying his persei top died while using the evo. I've had a top die while using omicarts. Hopefully they get a bulletproof top made before the year warranty is up...

Edit: I like how the T1 battery supply is direct but it's hard for me to tell how hard I need to push the switch up to make sure it's on so I keep getting thumb cramps from pushing it too hard...

OF

Are the adapters no longer 2 pieces with the reverse threads? That fucker has been driving me nuts and I thought it was just me screwing it up or something. Tonight was costly. I'll need to take some pics and figure out where the hell its at.

Yes. The current models have a one piece unit and have the sleeve pressed on. If yours unscrews in the middle I think you're in luck. Is the lower half of this two piece assembly still OK?

OF

OF,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Is this what you are talking about when you say adapters no longer 2 pieces.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/thermovape.4770/page-107#post-205525

Yes that piece on the left is 2 separate pieces. That causes me trouble when its hot and I want to take the battery out.

I am pretty sure everything in the left of that pic is fine and working, everything in the right may be fucked besides the top cap of the bowl and above of course.

I think OF is right and that the SV Evo is the cheapest and most practical (perhaps even exciting new change?) way to fix this.

I am REALLY curious in the 18650 persei though. What is the onelove adapter? What are the differences in your setup with the persei and Joe's? I can't experiment with $200+ but maybe we can figure this out. I appreciate the warning, but lets get to the bottom of it haha.

darkrom,
As a guess, you've never worked a Service Desk? Or done Field Circus? There's well over 10,000 TV vapes out there, at this point anything is possible. Anything.

OF

Yeah I guess. I just didn't expect someone who has read this thread to do something like that. If I recall correctly I think a few people even warned of using pliers on a TV bowl. It seems as though lesson was learned, albeit the hard way.

FTV

Futuretvowner,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yes. The current models have a one piece unit and have the sleeve pressed on. If yours unscrews in the middle I think you're in luck. Is the lower half of this two piece assembly still OK?

OF

The lower half should be ok still. I really would have liked the 1 piece unit. This part splitting was a major pain when it was hot and I unscrewed it often. I didn't know they made the switch. I wish I got one of those. I may have never done this lol.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yeah I guess. I just didn't expect someone who has read this thread to do something like that. If I recall correctly I think a few people even warned of using pliers on a TV bowl. It seems as though lesson was learned, albeit the hard way.

FTV

I must not have read that obviously or I just made a mistake. It's me paying for it. Shit happens when mistakes are made. It's all about how you handle them. I could bitch and moan that they didn't make plier-proof bowls, or I could man up and go from here.

darkrom,
It's all about how you handle them. I could bitch and moan that they didn't make plier-proof bowls, or I could man up and go from here.
Although there's a bit of a difference between doing something completely idiotic and complaining about the performance of a device.

Futuretvowner,

OF

The lower half should be ok still. I really would have liked the 1 piece unit. This part splitting was a major pain when it was hot and I unscrewed it often. I didn't know they made the switch. I wish I got one of those. I may have never done this lol.

OK, it's all making more sense now. If you were fighting that SOB when hot I now know what happened. I fought mine many times before finally gluing it down solid. But the sleeve wouldn't hold either, so TV replaced the lot a while back while I was testing some T1 cores for them. As I understand it the original design used existing parts???

OF

OF,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
darkrom, if your ThermoCore interface piece has been unbonded, for a while, I would contact Tim and tell him the whole story, I bet they are willing to help you on this . . . :2c:

t-dub,

darkrom

Great Scott!
darkrom, if your ThermoCore interface piece has been unbonded, for a while, I would contact Tim and tell him the whole story, I bet they are willing to help you on this . . . :2c:

I'm sure they will see this eventually. I'm just trying to use this as a learning experience. The best thing I've learned is that there is a 1 piece interface that I could be using and loving this thing that much more. Really cool to know they got rid of that. I thought it was a normal nuisance and just kind of lived with it and didn't unscrew ANYTHING when it was hot.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Actually OF I need to hold off on the Evo SV. I really don't like this 2 piece interface if there is a 1 piece out there I could be using. Otherwise I'll still have some of the same issues with the Evo.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
sJWKG.jpg

gAWEw.jpg

darkrom,

OF

Actually OF I need to hold off on the Evo SV. I really don't like this 2 piece interface if there is a 1 piece out there I could be using. Otherwise I'll still have some of the same issues with the Evo.

No, actually I don't think you would. Half the offending reverse threads are in the top half, the lower threads have noting connecting to them. It's really very much like a not to well finished adapter as ships on DART and Revolution systems.

The one piece unit is only of use with another T1 core. I'd much rather have the two piece for kluging this up.

BTW, I agree with the contacting Tim idea. This is a known issue, I wouldn't want to put words in anyone's mouth there but 'making it right' would be totally in character seems to me? For sure you're not the first guy to fight those threads....nor will you be the last. As I understand it the very first of them (guess who got lucky there......) had very little glue on them by intent. If the glue holds all is well, but once it fails it seems like it's going to unscrew sometime when you're messing with the cap or something else. Did for me, talk about a buzz kill....

OF

OF,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Was the "silver bullet" ever used with the LV? It's an 18650 e-cig base.

I think I will contact Tim in the morning and let him know what happened.

darkrom,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Would running the bottom of the housing as a 510 interface. not cause heat problems with the handle getting hotter because of lack of material on the top end?
IMHO, I know it saves some initial coin but....and cosmetically?
And hopefully the interface investment would last forever.
Agree pushing of the switch can be a pain in the ass and becomes an art to master. Heat drops off I give it a little side twist and it warms up again.
Pipes

Pipes,
Top Bottom