Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I've been using the extended delrin mouthpiece directly into my sv Evo core for weeks, and not only has the delrin not melted or deformed, the O-Ring is still fine too. I actually thought the O-Ring might be a problem, but it hasn't turned out to be. If Thermovape made an extended length ptfe mouthpiece, particularly in black, I would use it; they don't. Maybe if we ask nicely.

I think the only thing a UFO equipped mouthpiece will fit into is a core. It won't fit into either of the flow adapters, and it won't fit into the T1 cap. It will fit into the Evo core, and I think the Revo core. Thermovape sells UFO equipped delrin mouthpieces in multiple sizes and colors, not just the shorty ptfe.

I think Pipes is the only one that has had trouble with his delrin mouthpiece in the sv Evo core; not sure why. (How bad was it Pipes? How hot did your Evo get? Could you even hold it anymore?)

Haywood,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Cream/White PTFE Tru-Flow UFO Mouthpiece

Just insert it right in the top of the Evo Heater Core w/out using the Insulating Body. Some people feel that the added mass of the Insulating Body is drawing heat away from the Heater Core and bowl which increases heat up time, lessens battery life, and lowers the overall temp while taking a hit.
Those of us that are using modified insulating sleeves, with the top section removed, so it's not in the vapor path anymore, but with it still fully covering the Evo core, haven't found ANY difference between keeping it on, and not using it. Other than you don't burn yourself all the time because you're stoned.

Whatever is causing the massive positive difference many of are experiencing when using the Evo with the mouthpiece inserted directly into the core, rather than via the insulating sleeve, it isn't the presence of the insulating sleeve around the core, it's something else.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I've been using the extended delrin mouthpiece directly into my sv Evo core for weeks, and not only has the delrin not melted or deformed, the O-Ring is still fine too. I actually thought the O-Ring might be a problem, but it hasn't turned out to be. If Thermovape made an extended length ptfe mouthpiece, particularly in black, I would use it; they don't. Maybe if we ask nicely.

I think the only thing a UFO equipped mouthpiece will fit into is a core. It won't fit into either of the flow adapters, and it won't fit into the T1 cap. It will fit into the Evo core, and I think the Revo core. Thermovape sells UFO equipped delrin mouthpieces in multiple sizes and colors, not just the shorty ptfe.

I think Pipes is the only one that has had trouble with his delrin mouthpiece in the sv Evo core; not sure why. (How bad was it Pipes? How hot did your Evo get? Could you even hold it anymore?)
That's my understanding as well. The reason, as far as I know, the UFO mouth piece will not fit the T1 cap or flow adapters is the UFO is in the way. My question is. If you remove the UFO tip, can the UFO fit into the bottom of the adapter and put the high temperature PTFE tip into the top of adapter?
Hoping the inside hole diameter is close to the same..?
Thanks,
Pipes

Pipes,

OF

it insulates the heat build up, and makes it take a little longer for the battery section to get hot. IMO... I am sure there are other features too... the bare metal interface works, but gets pretty hot, quickly, and transfers that heat right down to the batteries/switch, and your hand. It's also easy to burn yourself on the exposed metal when it's really heated up.

I'm not sure this is 100% right. Heat is being transferred down by conduction through the metal, covering it up doesn't change that rate (it's set by the materials, average cross section of the path, average length and so on as before. However, it does keep heat from escaping (making stuff feel hot.....) on the way so I think it's actually going to make the battery heat more and run hotter than before, not a good idea.

It might look better (to some), and it will keep you from getting burned, but I think it does so at the expense of the batteries.....probably. Consider other places in your life, what happens to temperatures when you add insulation?

The effect is probably small relative to the abuse we're already piling on, but from a thermal management standpoint I don't think it's a positive thing. We're going to kill the batteries off young in life anyway, I take care to let the batteries cool before charging, try to keep them from getting hotter in service than necessary for that reason. For now, I'm sticking with the old fashioned one.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Stu

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just wish I knew why it hit better without the sleeve. :hmm:

Magic?
Conversion Disorder?
Thor?

Those are the only 3 possibilities that I can think of so far...

Stu,
Reactions: Polmol

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Those of us that are using modified insulating sleeves, with the top section removed, so it's not in the vapor path anymore, but with it still fully covering the Evo core, haven't found ANY difference between keeping it on, and not using it. Other than you don't burn yourself all the time because you're stoned.

Whatever is causing the massive positive difference many of are experiencing when using the Evo with the mouthpiece inserted directly into the core, rather than via the insulating sleeve, it isn't the presence of the insulating sleeve around the core, it's something else.
I have just been trying this with the long Delrin and there is definitely a difference. Using the SV EVO and it heats and the draw feels different somehow. A little tighter feel to it and the hiss sound is also a little different. I'm thinking the air flow is somehow effected without the top part of shield been used? We know if the O ring wasn't there how the draw changes somewhat indicating there is leakage around the top. I also do not see the insulating effect working opposite to what one would expect.
Strange stuff indeed...?
Pipes

Oh ya, works great.....ouch....sh%#t

Pipes,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
That's my understanding as well. The reason, as far as I know, the UFO mouth piece will not fit the T1 cap or flow adapters is the UFO is in the way. My question is. If you remove the UFO tip, can the UFO fit into the bottom of the adapter and put the high temperature PTFE tip into the top of adapter?
Hoping the inside hole diameter is close to the same..?
Thanks,
Pipes
Nah, it won't fit. The Smooth-Flow has a small bottom bore, much too small for a UFO to fit. I tried :).

I suppose you (or Thermovape) could bore out the hole a bit, below the part where the ceramic lives, to fit a UFO in, but remember that the Smooth-Flow is metal, and if you insert it directly into the core, it gets just as hot as the core, and there is no modified insulating sleeve to cover it (the sleeve isn't long enough to cover the core AND the Smooth-Flow). So you would wind up with a hot piece of metal sticking out, with the shorty ptfe mouthpiece in it, and you'd burn your mouth all the time by taking a little too much of the shorty mouthpiece into your mouth.

I tried the Smooth-Flow (no UFO) into the Evo core, and then a mouthpiece into the Smooth-Flow, and it basically sucked. The heat wiped out any moisture in the Smooth-Flow as soon as the core and botanical chamber were up to temp, and a bunch of heat was wasted keeping the Smooth-Flow hot. The Smooth-Flow is nice on my T1, and is probably nice if you're using an Evo in the standard way, with the vapor path going through the insulating sleeve and it's built in UFO, but not so nice directly into the Evo core.

All the standard length mouthpieces are really too short to use directly into the Evo core, at least for me. The extended length mouthpiece is the perfect distance away from the core for me, and now that I've pressed a UFO into one, it should solve the remaining herb-in-the-mouth problem I was having, without having to deal with a screen. I am a little concerned that the metal UFO directly in the HOT vapor stream may get hot enough to deform the delrin, even though the core itself doesn't seem to bother it. Time will tell (I've only used the delrin-UFO mouthpiece once since I made it).

Haywood,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I'm not sure this is 100% right. Heat is being transferred down by conduction through the metal, covering it up doesn't change that rate (it's set by the materials, average cross section of the path, average length and so on as before. However, it does keep heat from escaping (making stuff feel hot.....) on the way so I think it's actually going to make the battery heat more and run hotter than before, not a good idea.

It might look better (to some), and it will keep you from getting burned, but I think it does so at the expense of the batteries.....probably. Consider other places in your life, what happens to temperatures when you add insulation?

The effect is probably small relative to the abuse we're already piling on, but from a thermal management standpoint I don't think it's a positive thing. We're going to kill the batteries off young in life anyway, I take care to let the batteries cool before charging, try to keep them from getting hotter in service than necessary for that reason. For now, I'm sticking with the old fashioned one.

OF
While I'm not sure I agree with your assessment that running without any insulating sleeve makes an appreciable difference on how hot the batteries get, keep in mind that the Thermovape "recommended" method of using the Evo is to have the insulating sleeve in place. It's how they designed it; it isn't supposed to be used without the insulating core. It's only us crazies here that decided we wanted to put the mouthpiece directly into the core, which required removing the insulating sleeve or modifying it.

(What did you mean by "For now, I'm sticking with the old fashioned one"?)

Haywood,

2clicker

Observer
So you just pop in the mouthpiece directly on the core chamber? it doesn't melt?

I haven't tried that yet because i was sure it would melt, since it didn't look to be made of the same material as the sleeve...

im sorry. i should have specified. i am not using a TV mouthpiece. i use a rubber one. you can see it in the pic below. i find the TV mouthpiece gets too hot even when using the sleeve. rubber is the way to go for this device IMO.

ive also been using a 7"-8" piece of whip tubing with glass mouthpiece as a solution when at home.

I use my Evo much as you do...

By the way, you should order another insulating sleeve, and cut the top portion off...

I don't pack very hard, but I do tamp a little...

sounds like the SV version is working on par regarding the numbers.

and yeah im aware of the cut sleeve mod, but i find a simple oring keeps me from getting burned and makes for a nice seal for any 14mm or 19mm dstem.

tamping is a must in my experience.

here is my rig:
thumbpad1.jpg

2clicker,
Reactions: Polmol

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Since we're on the topic of not using the sleeve, I have been running the Evo on my water pipe, using the Evo core, with the main body of the smooth flow with the glass adapter plugged into the smoothflow. Seems to work really well for me, and I do prefer to do glass hits, when possible. Just wanted to share this.

D2eFv.jpg

jambandphan03

in flavor country
im sorry. i should have specified. i am not using a TV mouthpiece. i use a rubber one. you can see it in the pic below. i find the TV mouthpiece gets too hot even when using the sleeve. rubber is the way to go for this device IMO.

ive also been using a 7"-8" piece of whip tubing with glass mouthpiece as a solution when at home.

sounds like the SV version is working on par regarding the numbers.

and yeah im aware of the cut sleeve mod, but i find a simple oring keeps me from getting burned and makes for a nice seal for any 14mm or 19mm dstem.

tamping is a must in my experience.

here is my rig:
thumbpad1.jpg

any idea of the size for that O ring? and I know I asked this before, but forgot, where do you find the mouth pieces, besides Gman's?

jambandphan03,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Nah, it won't fit. The Smooth-Flow has a small bottom bore, much too small for a UFO to fit. I tried :).

I tried the Smooth-Flow (no UFO) into the Evo core, and then a mouthpiece into the Smooth-Flow, and it basically sucked. The heat wiped out any moisture in the Smooth-Flow as soon as the core and botanical chamber were up to temp, and a bunch of heat was wasted keeping the Smooth-Flow hot.

I am a little concerned that the metal UFO directly in the HOT vapor stream may get hot enough to deform the delrin, even though the core itself doesn't seem to bother it. Time will tell (I've only used the delrin-UFO mouthpiece once since I made it).
That's a drag. Was helping with the diffusion of the UFO the moisture would last for a least one round? Would making the hole bigger in the smoothflow, ruin the moisture affect? Rendering it useless for the designed purpose?

I did read that the UFO can melt Delrin in the tube. I did check my black Delrin right after a session and it was a little pliable. Over time it would deform IMO.
Do you have a white one?

Pipes

Pipes,

2clicker

Observer
any idea of the size for that O ring? and I know I asked this before, but forgot, where do you find the mouth pieces, besides Gman's?

i have the package for the oring, but dont know it offhand. i will be sure to post it though.

as for the mouthpiece... sorry for not updating. basically they only come with ecig dual whatever cartomizers and cannot be purchase by themselves. i happen to have a couple of them. the one ive been using seems to be holding up to the abuse so far and can probably be cleaned. another solution would be Omi cart mouthpieces. they fit as well and resist heat very well. unfortunately they arent black. however i prefer the Gmans/smoktech/whatever else brand mouthpieces ive got. just sucks i cant by them by themselves.

note to TV... offer a rubber mouthpiece maybe?

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I did read that the UFO can melt Delrin in the tube. I did check my black Delrin right after a session and it was a little pliable. Over time it would deform IMO.
Do you have a white one?
I have a standard, restricted revo, and extended mouthpiece in black Delrin. I have a standard ptfe mouthpiece in white. I put my first UFO in the ptfe mouthpiece, but the standard length mouthpieces are just too short for my liking inserted directly in the Evo core, even with the modified insulating sleeve in place. If the extended delrin mouthpiece with the UFO doesn't work out, I think I'd still prefer the extended Delrin without UFO over the ptfe with UFO.

Haywood,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
yeah, I went to the G'man's site, they have the individual tips listed, but out of stock... $5 is pretty steep for what they are, but if it's working and holding up, I'd get one. Might go searching the dual coil carts to see what's out there...I do like the look of the O ring, and a couple of them on there would be a good buffer. Would be cool if TV had the rubber tips like yours huh? :D

http://www.vapingzone.com/eGo_Twin_coil_4ML_Cartomizer_LR_1_5_Ohm__Single_Pc_-_Clear/pid-690.html

Found this, it was almost $7 including shipping, so I just went for it to see how it goes... I was also curious about messing with those dual coil tanks.

jambandphan03,

2clicker

Observer
yeah, I went to the G'man's site, they have the individual tips listed, but out of stock... $5 is pretty steep for what they are, but if it's working and holding up, I'd get one. Might go searching the dual coil carts to see what's out there...I do like the look of the O ring, and a couple of them on there would be a good buffer. Would be cool if TV had the rubber tips like yours huh? :D

Gmans is calling that Derlin rubber...? and for $5 a pop? seems steep considering you can get a whole blank cart with MP for around $5.

it would be fantastic if TV offered a rubber option. it does wonders for the Evo.

2clicker,

OF

While I'm not sure I agree with your assessment that running without any insulating sleeve makes an appreciable difference on how hot the batteries get, keep in mind that the Thermovape "recommended" method of using the Evo is to have the insulating sleeve in place. It's how they designed it; it isn't supposed to be used without the insulating core. It's only us crazies here that decided we wanted to put the mouthpiece directly into the core, which required removing the insulating sleeve or modifying it.

(What did you mean by "For now, I'm sticking with the old fashioned one"?)

Careful there, Brother H, wrong insulator. Heat doesn't get conducted up to the battery..... I'm talking about one of the other topics in play right now, the adapter (between battery and Evolution) not the insulating sleeve around the unit which I agree should be left there absent good reason.

The 'old fashioned one' is the original version, without the 3 pins and cover but with spill trap.

OF

OF,

OF

another solution would be Omi cart mouthpieces. they fit as well and resist heat very well. unfortunately they arent black. however i prefer the Gmans/smoktech/whatever else brand mouthpieces ive got. just sucks i cant by them by themselves.

note to TV... offer a rubber mouthpiece maybe?

I'm not so sure this is a good idea at all. If this thing can melt Delrin it's getting seriously hot for most plastics and silicone rubbers....... Evolution can get mighty hot all the way to the top, which is why it has melted Delrin mouthpieces.

I understand these things concern some more than others, but I don't think I'd recommend sucking the fumes in until I knew more about the materials???

OF

OF,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Careful there, Brother H, wrong insulator. Heat doesn't get conducted up to the battery..... I'm talking about one of the other topics in play right now, the adapter (between battery and Evolution) not the insulating sleeve around the unit which I agree should be left there absent good reason.

The 'old fashioned one' is the original version, without the 3 pins and cover but with spill trap.

OF
oh.

nevermind.

:)

Haywood,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
... Evolution can get mighty hot all the way to the top, which is why it has melted Delrin mouthpieces...
Hmm, sounds like maybe a plea to Thermovape for an extended length ptfe mouthpiece may be in order.

With a UFO in the end.

In black.

Ah hell, while I'm at it, I would surely get excited about a newly designed cap for the T1...

Haywood,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
made a small order, some O rings, an extended mouth piece, and one of the aluminum tips w/ ufo inserted... with the ILOVEDAD discount... saved a few bux, thanks for the discount TV.

jambandphan03,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Wonder how a Dart mid section with the stick shortened and thinned a bit would work. Could use it to start the dump out process as well.
Just a thought.....
Pipes

This one:
http://thermovape.com/collections/all/products/theremovape-revolution-dart-loader
$9.99

Never even thought of that! Is the dart draw restricted beyond what the UFO itself is?

I was thinking of something along the lines of this:

The end that goes in the Evo tube is a shorty ptfe (to which I would add a UFO, not shown), the end that goes in your mouth could be any mouthpiece you like, and could even be a Smooth-Flow and then a mouthpiece.

'course it would look pretty silly, even with the tube substantially reduced in length. And you could put on a vaudeville act with it, chasing the swinging mouthpiece and never quite getting it...

Clicking on the picture will take you to the page on the Thermovape site. The price may startle you though.

Haywood,
Top Bottom