Discontinued Thermovape Cera

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I had it 'wound out', cooking away (the load, not the PA which was still fine) when my adapter unsoldered itself! Just over 12 minutes into the run it shut down when the threaded part came loose from the nut. Glad it was on an aluminum plate.

That never happened before, my guess is the lower levels possible with batteries and normal airflow when you're using the core as opposed to letting it cook made the difference? No need to worry about anyone hitting an EO core non stop for 12 minutes......even a team of guys....unless Noah has a few brothers.

Anyway, this means the back end of the adapter was kissing up on 370F or so, makes me glad I stuck with PTFE for insulaton.....

OF
Wow, nice design.
Love show and tell.
Surprising the heat made it as far as the solder. Good thing to know for sure.
I made a similar unit with the same converter. However, never used as was for a different experiment.
(Basically an 18650 battery replacement)
It's casing is the rear end of an old AA maglite. (It's actually from the first prototype of the T1 PA system) End cut and drilled with nut and bolt inserted insulated with transistor heat sink insulation collars. Wire crimped and soldered to a tabbed washer under the nut.
Common ground is a large washer placed at the rear end. Voltage adjust from the side.
A messy DIY but for those so inclined....

47b86433-468e-4a9c-bcfb-4dbe98f90e2a_zps35fb5eec.jpg

P1050153_zps662a81a3.jpg

As for the power supply, I looked around and for the price the same type supply TET use to offer is the best price wise. I beleive OF has confirmed this model to work with Cera's offerings.? (Digi-Key still has them) :tup: As well as the OKRs. Supply and OKR

EDIT: almost forgot, OF, where did you get that large spring from? Something I've had an eye open for.

Fun stuff.

Much respect to everyone coming up with mods. Everything looks awesome and they're very inspiring.

That's exactly why this forum smashes it. :clap:

Update for anyone waiting for their order b/c they got an EL core-

I ordered my Cera (including the EL core) on March 20. After learning that some fixes were being made to the EL core, I contacted TET. Zeki let me know that it should hopefully ship in the next 5-7 business days. Prolly not in time for 4/20, but soon. Soon... :nod:

iamn3ko

Personally I don't think I'm dumb for ordering early...
Mines working right out of the box. Although I do plan to send it back eventually for a check up/ tune up.

--

Pipes, that's awesome! I could see OF hinting about it since a while back. I saw many "maybe brother Pipes could...". I don't think he could take it anymore and made his own (Which, OF, looks great BTW)

Looks great, When are one of these guys going to be up for grabs? ;)

Breathemetal

This most definitely looks like the device that will replacemy vb2.
Just wanna wait for a pproper pa first. Oh, and a black version haha

Breathemetal,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Pipes, that's awesome! I could see OF hinting about it since a while back. I saw many "maybe brother Pipes could...". I don't think he could take it anymore and made his own (Which, OF, looks great BTW)

Looks great, When are one of these guys going to be up for grabs? ;)
Thanks, yeah OF and I had discussed some possibilities a couple times and both agreed this is a good solution for good reasons.
I have to say I have no immediate plans on making this puppy for market as is a little more involved and I do not like making any accessory which the main unit needs addition alterations. In this case the bottom switch needs to be disassembled. Unless an addition screw cap of good quality can be found.
However, the links for the 2 main ingredients are posted for those with some soldering skills.
:nod:

OF

My Cera just came back from repair along with my HP EVO core! Tried the EVO core and noticed the bottom piece where the battery connects is off axis but she still lights up and hits, ill shoot Tim A message to see if its a matter or not...

I have plenty back ups but it was nice of em to charge it, A big thanks to everybody at TET!

Edit: Question to OF or other brains; So since I have My EO core nice and dry, is it safe and Ok to use some E-juice in her until I get oils for her? I would of course clean the unit once more before putting the oils in If I do use the e-juice first.

First off, save the bandwidth, being off center a bit is part of the design. You'll notice there's a flat bottom well the ceramic washer under the screw head sits in? There's a similar washer and well 1/4 inch or so in with a nut on the other side. This allows the center pin to 'float' as needed (otherwise something could break). The heater threads directly on the end of that screw (after the nut) so the heater maintains perfect contact as the screw moves. All part of a very well thought out design IMO.

On the matter of juice in an EO core I'd advise against it. It's my understanding it's all but impossible to ever get the last of anything out of the ceramic. At the bottom of every pore in it will be 'the wrong stuff' when you put oil in. There's just no flow to wash stuff out, it stays put. You can torch it, of course, but then you have burnt juice instead.

Your call, but I intend to use my cores a long time and demand a lot from them, no sense in handicapping them with contamination as I see it?

But I'm curious how many of you are having good success with running one battery through multiple bowls. I can get it through 2 full bowls tops. But I hear some of you are getting around 6.

Is there a secret I need to know? Is it maybe my technique that needs refining? Is it all about vapeing a full bowl in under 3 minutes? Do I need to let the second run at the battery preheat longer to get to work like the first run?

Curious to see how you guys are using these batteries.

I think if you change your perspective a bit it might make more sense. Try to think of it in terms of time, not sessions. And think of it's roots a bit to understand other guy's perspective? T1 had battery problems. In SV the ride was fast and short. If you dallied too much you ran out of battery before herb. SV gave us a big boost in battery life (close to double in some conditions), most of us learned to do a bowl easily but longed for more. DR was a regular leader in that campaign in fact.

Enter Cera. Improvements in insulation and design allowed lowering the power by about half. The ability to use higher performance batteries in the slightly larger package (along with better battery development of course) basically doubled it again. Where before 5 or 6 minutes of full on power was the norm, now we can get 30 to 45 depending. A nominal five fold improvement.

How you spend that time is, of course, your call. Six five minute sessions or two 15 minute ones are basically the same to the battery (actually cooling between sessions helps some).

For myself, I usually swap LL batteries when I notice they're getting a little slow (usually 2 or 3 sessions). When I think it might be getting depleted I swap in a fresh one, if it's a fair bit better I vape on and put the first in the recharge group. If, however, it's not a big improvement I put the original back and carry on. Having the spare handy to test lets you get the most from the charge IMO.

Wow, nice design.
Love show and tell.
Surprising the heat made it as far as the solder. Good thing to know for sure.
I made a similar unit with the same converter. However, never used as was for a different experiment.
(Basically an 18650 battery replacement)

Common ground is a large washer placed at the rear end. Voltage adjust from the side.

As for the power supply, I looked around and for the price the same type supply TET use to offer is the best price wise. I beleive OF has confirmed this model to work with Cera's offerings.? (Digi-Key still has them) :tup: As well as the OKRs.

EDIT: almost forgot, OF, where did you get that large spring from? Something I've had an eye open for.

Fun stuff.

Always good to hear what you've been up to, Brother Pipes. Thanks for the compliment, but in fairness I'm not showing the first half dozen iterations, this is just the packaging part. Some of them were embarrassing (but informative).

We all know how you feel about 'show and tell'.....still got the raincoat and map to the Elementary Schools?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, the nut that unsoldered itself was in the Cera cart adapter I made from a brass nut and hacked up e-cig fitting. It was just a way to connect the load, I wasn't watching it. The PA itself seems to be plenty cool and as you know has overtemp shutdown as back up. I don't think there's any danger there, but this has been a series of surprises, some small some not.

Funny how we both ended up grounding a washer, then again it's a pretty obvious way to do the job. The spring is from the drawers of springs at the local Ace Hardware store (common like that silly tire company up there.....), next time I'm in I'll try to check for a maker and part number, all I can tell you now is $1.15. FWIW I'm now using a straight cylindrical compression spring with less force (same source).

I'd also point out, it's a small world, I'm making a battery substitute for a 18650 too, right?

The wall wort from the T1 PA is OK, but just barely. And it has 'backward' polarity (center negative), not a problem to the original use, but it confuses the converter something awful. I think a better supply is a 12 Volt 3 Amp unit, something like:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2099868_-1

I'm actually using this one, I had it left over from another project:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1952370_-1

There are lots of similar useful units out there of course but I wanted to stick with that power connector so common car cords would work.

It'll need a switch, of course, but I'm thinking of putting some logic in the tail cap (it's empty now) to allow a simple push button switch (no more grief finding a brute) to function as momentary or latching depending on desire, maybe with a time out built in. We were also spitballing about the accelerometers used in game controllers so if it stopped moving while on for say half a minute (?) it'd beep and give you 15 seconds to move or then it'd shut down?

Fun stuff indeed. Keeps you from playing with your toes.....

Regards,

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Agree, playing with my toes is not very productive. So trained my dog for that task.

The use of accelerometers is a cool idea and would make use of that on/off pin of the OKR.

FYI, the 6 volts unit also comes in either polarity. To standardise with a car supply I guess the center needs to be +. I actually thought that that was what TET sold but never actually seen one of their units.
The 1st 12 volt unit you linked to is also a fair price. In searching Digi-Key for supplies the 6 volt was best buy. Just mentioning as if one is ordering an OKR one would be paying shipping anyway.

Just for fun, this is a battery replacement less the OKR. This version needs power control outside of the unit.
It has the 5.5 connector mounted at the rear. Can't see in picture.

P1050155_zps244a054f.jpg

P1050157_zpse05fd90b.jpg

The DC plug would go up through the center. Spring still needed for good ground.
And yep another audio connector mod. An ancient type 1/4 inch female audio jack. No need to drill as hole is already there.
Never actually investigated if still readily available or not. But looks cool. The rounded rear end (hmmmm) acts to guide the spring and center it.

EDIT: Found it here. if anyone is interested.
EDIT2: Sorry, the link is the male side. Need the female side of the same connector.

:brow:
OK OF, I think we've teased these folks enough.

OF

Agree, playing with my toes is not very productive. So trained my dog for that task.

The use of accelerometers is a cool idea and would make use of that on/off pin of the OKR.

OK OF, I think we've teased these folks enough.

OK, I'll take your word for it.... I don't really want to get into the stuff you're training the dog to do....it's not that kind of forum you know.....

Yeah, fun. Beats the GPS idea. Yes, I think logic level control is the call, this finding five Amp DC switches has gotten old already. I was thinking a CMOS FF to give 'start stop' (two momentary switches), momentary (like now) or alternate action (push, push) like guys are looking for in the eternal 'latching switch' quest. Only doing so with logic could at least provide a time out? You could put a small slide or lever switch somewhere handy so the user could select the function.

And to quiet down the guys in the cheap seats, maybe we should move the switch itself up to the top of the assembly and screw the button in from the outside after loading? Through one of the safety pin holes. For the guys not following, that means a thumb switch that 'does it all'.

That's part of the fruits of the latest test session in the garden (you'll be happy to know the latest version of my thread adapter is doing just fine and is approaching bomb proof slowly). The other part is we can cheat the broken ground strap game. A spring loaded tube with a pin to make contact with the heater can also carry a spring around that to make the ground contact directly on the screw plate from below..... No end cap, switch or strap needed. Just the tube and the switch body. A tube, a couple springs (2), some wire and a battery holder for the battery. You'd unscrew the switch from the cap, thread the tube through it, twist the second spring onto the cable behind it (wide end to sit on the lip of the cap), screw the cap back on, put the battery in the holder, and vape away. Maybe five bucks in parts?

You want a ghetto Cera? Use the adapter and a 3/8-24 flange nut with an EO cart and MP........No Cera needed, really.....

Fun stuff, all right.

You really think we've teased these guys enough? Naw.......

OF

Musicslv

There must be a step by step somwhere here for me to follow as I clean my EO core for the first time... but I cant find it. I know to boil it (but for how long?) and I know to soak it in ISO after that (but for how long) and follow with another boiling? Can anyone help me through this? Oh yeah, and how bad is the smell as it's boiling? Should I do it outside?

Musicslv,

Skored

Enter Cera. Improvements in insulation and design allowed lowering the power by about half. The ability to use higher performance batteries in the slightly larger package (along with better battery development of course) basically doubled it again. Where before 5 or 6 minutes of full on power was the norm, now we can get 30 to 45 depending. A nominal five fold improvement.

How you spend that time is, of course, your call. Six five minute sessions or two 15 minute ones are basically the same to the battery (actually cooling between sessions helps some).

For myself, I usually swap LL batteries when I notice they're getting a little slow (usually 2 or 3 sessions). When I think it might be getting depleted I swap in a fresh one, if it's a fair bit better I vape on and put the first in the recharge group. If, however, it's not a big improvement I put the original back and carry on. Having the spare handy to test lets you get the most from the charge IMO.

Makes good sense... thanks! I wasn't sure if the battery got weaker over that 30 minute life. In other words, it wouldn't get the core as hot in the 18th minute vs. the 1st minute, thus performance lagging. But I like your idea of putting in the fresh battery to compare, and if it hits better, than go with it.

OF

There must be a step by step somwhere here for me to follow as I clean my EO core for the first time... but I cant find it. I know to boil it (but for how long?) and I know to soak it in ISO after that (but for how long) and follow with another boiling? Can anyone help me through this? Oh yeah, and how bad is the smell as it's boiling? Should I do it outside?

You won't find one, feel free to write one if you wish, but most folks see no need. The parts are all cleaned in ISO in an ultrasonic cleaner, pretty hard to beat that. Tim was describing it a bit ago.

When I boil them I do it for 20 minutes or so. I boil up the water, steal some for tea and throw the parts in. By the time I've finished the tea I shut it off, and rinse in cold to cool the parts. I usually soak maybe 10 or 15 minutes with a couple of gentle shakes to move stuff around some. Then boil maybe 4 or 5 minutes to get rid of the ISO. I then drain the water and dump them hot on a paper towel and shake it around to blot up as much water as possible while hot. Then usually a hour or so at 180F in the toaster oven on a piece of foil to dry.

No smell (nothing to smell) when new.

You're call, but IMO it's a waste of good vaping time.

Makes good sense... thanks! I wasn't sure if the battery got weaker over that 30 minute life. In other words, it wouldn't get the core as hot in the 18th minute vs. the 1st minute, thus performance lagging. But I like your idea of putting in the fresh battery to compare, and if it hits better, than go with it.

You're welcome.

It'll get about as hot (it will still saturate in the core), it'll take a little longer and there will be less total heat (it'll heat the body slower) but there's still well heated air if you handle it right.

I think the "A/B test" is the way to go, it keeps it from being too subjective.

Best wishes.

OF

Musicslv

You won't find one, feel free to write one if you wish, but most folks see no need. The parts are all cleaned in ISO in an ultrasonic cleaner, pretty hard to beat that. Tim was describing it a bit ago.

When I boil them I do it for 20 minutes or so. I boil up the water, steal some for tea and throw the parts in. By the time I've finished the tea I shut it off, and rinse in cold to cool the parts. I usually soak maybe 10 or 15 minutes with a couple of gentle shakes to move stuff around some. Then boil maybe 4 or 5 minutes to get rid of the ISO. I then drain the water and dump them hot on a paper towel and shake it around to blot up as much water as possible while hot. Then usually a hour or so at 180F in the toaster oven on a piece of foil to dry.

No smell (nothing to smell) when new.

You're call, but IMO it's a waste of good vaping time.

You're welcome.

It'll get about as hot (it will still saturate in the core), it'll take a little longer and there will be less total heat (it'll heat the body slower) but there's still well heated air if you handle it right.

I think the "A/B test" is the way to go, it keeps it from being too subjective.

Best wishes.

OF
Thanks OF once again you gave me just what I needed. BTW when I said "clean it for my first time" I meant that I've been using it for some time and figured It could use it's first cleaning. Thanks again.

Musicslv,
Reactions: OF

OF

Thanks OF once again you gave me just what I needed. BTW when I said "clean it for my first time" I meant that I've been using it for some time and figured It could use it's first cleaning. Thanks again.

Ah, so! Sorry, my mistake. This language we pinched off the Brits usually works pretty good for me, sometimes.......

That being the case, let me change the last bit. If your Cera smells at room temperature it's going to smell more when hot (and boiling is hot.....). I have no trouble in the kitchen with the fan on, but if smell is an issue you might want to take it downwind.

Yer welcome for what help I can give, gotta enjoy your unit ya know.

Regards,

OF

OF,

YeeeBuddy

I"m just gonna do a 20/20/20 burn when I feel like it, I remember back Tim said that was what he does, I"m not a flavor purist so if its good enough for him it's good enough for me.

OF

I"m just gonna do a 20/20/20 burn when I feel like it, I remember back Tim said that was what he does, I"m not a flavor purist so if its good enough for him it's good enough for me.

That works for sure, but you loose maybe .2 grams if you do a complete job of it. IMO you quickly develop 'a feel' for what's good for you.

OF

OF,

Breathemetal

If i were to say order one of these in the next week or two would I get it relatively quick or would I have to wait for a few months?

After doing a bit of reading...Im almost tempted to skip the VIP completely and just save up a bit extra for this bad boy to replace my VB2.0 (which i love, just need something...more)

Breathemetal,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
If i were to say order one of these in the next week or two would I get it relatively quick or would I have to wait for a few months?

After doing a bit of reading...Im almost tempted to skip the VIP completely and just save up a bit extra for this bad boy to replace my VB2.0 (which i love, just need something...more)
From what I was told SS are shipping within a couple days of ordering

Mynameismud,
Reactions: OF

Musicslv

My first cleaning of my EO core after using it for a month went off without a hitch. I followed OF's advice and boiled it for twenty minutes in H2O followed by a fifteen minute soak in ISO and after that back into a water boil for another five to ten minutes, finishing it in a oven set at 200f for an hour. New bowl tastes great!

Breathemetal

Ah thanks for clarifying. Yeah Im not rich enough to swing the titanium one haha.
It's such a sexy device...and from everything i have read it won't disappoint

YeeeBuddy

Hey guys i just got off work and had a nice LL session, everything went normal except when i took my battery out like i always do and it was like this. I can lift up that circular black thing that goes over the button,the part i pulled off was barely attached, Is this battery dust? my cera still works fine just dont wanna use that battery anymore if its damaged.

bvatt.jpg

YeeeBuddy,
Top Bottom