Discontinued Thermovape Cera

GoGlass

Is it a bad joke ?
NEVER LATCHING SWITCH ? AND WHAT ABOUT LL Cart Users ???!!!!!
Waooooouuu and what about the 7 videos of the "Cera Loose Leaf Vaporisation" with a latching switch ?

$300.00 for a device with a problem that TET admit "their Cera gets very hot" ......strange no ?
and why there is still "beta testers" at this date ????????????????????????????????????????????????

So how many times can the Cera+LL stays ON without damage or becoming too hot to touch ?

Please Tim, tell us something..........

leetmode

$300.00 for a device with a problem that TET admit "their Cera gets very hot"

TBH I don't see how that is a "problem", it kind of makes sense for something that is designed to heat up to get very hot after extended use, especially considering there is no temperature control.......

and why there is still "beta testers" at this date ????????????????????????????????????????????????

I also don't see why this is an issue, there are so many different kinds of products that are continually tested even after they have reached their final production versions for improvements, from toys to cars and everything in between.

leetmode,
Reactions: OF

leetmode

Nov 7. I have no issues with the non-latching switch for EO. I'm not sure I'd need latching for EO.

Awesome, I made my order on the 14th of Nov. so hopefully I'll be getting mine soon.

Hope you get your issues with the LL cart sorted out though. Out of curiosity do you experience that problem, the heating around the switch and what not, when using the EO core? Or is it something that happens only with the LL?

leetmode,

JoeKickass

The pax on red gets quite hot, I'll try to measure how hot it gets.

I would be really surprised if the Cera got hotter, I think TV is probably just covering themselves liability wise

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
LL gets hot according to users at the mouth piece. At the switch was an issue not normal from how I read it. I would imagine like all vapes the whole body gets warm and so does the switch.

Dreamerr,

OF

Waooooouuu and what about the 7 videos of the "Cera Loose Leaf Vaporisation" with a latching switch ?

$300.00 for a device with a problem that TET admit "their Cera gets very hot" ......strange no ?

What about those 7 videos indeed? IIRC the first was LL, the other six EO?

And when did TV ever say getting hot was a problem? I thought it was the point. What, exactly, did they admit? Putting it that way infers they're not being honest.....please show me something to support that? Anything at all that shows they're covering something up or trying to deceive or defraud anyone? Admit infers guilt.....please point to the sin?

As to why Beta Testing is ongoing it's because the project is ongoing. I have the latest switch right here (which I find much better than the first) for instance?

The bottom line here I think is if their lawyers are telling them this is a dangerous thing to be selling they're not very likely to be doing it. No matter how upset we might be about it.

Owners are left with modifying their personal units (at their own risk) or living with it as offered if they want to own and use a Cera.

Folks pay a lot of money to lawyers for advice, they'd be pretty foolish to then ignore it. Not to mention irresponsible?

If folks think they can't deal with the unit as offered not ordering it (or asking for a refund) seems like a good call to me. There are other vapes in the world that might suit them more.

OF

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
No thermostat cause the idea of this vape is no electronics. Now maybe a toggle like originally planed for the ll on the side but my guess is it will have the same issues they are having now with the lawyers and the unit over heating cause of forgetting to turn it off. I so wished I used oils but I don't. This seems like top of the line for oils.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Dreamerr,

No thermostat cause the idea of this vape is no electronics.

I think their concept is more about reliability implemented through simplicity but that's still a good point!

:nod:

This seems like top of the line for oils.

At least the timing would appear to be appropriate so i guess this version is safe...

...something that is designed to heat up to get very hot...

The batteries are not.

...I think TV is probably just covering themselves liability wise

That makes sense. I believe that having to hold a switch for some extended period will hurt the LL sales and hence this could be one reason for concern indeed - or at least this prospect happened to bother Noah Minskoff when he finally made this last move:

:peace:

Egzoset,
Reactions: v1ru5

GoGlass

What about those 7 videos indeed? IIRC the first was LL, the other six EO?

Image3.jpg

And when did TV ever say getting hot was a problem? I thought it was the point. What, exactly, did they admit?

On the blog of thermovape : "this is from the reports of our beta testers saying that their Cera gets very hot when left on for excessive amounts of time".

For me, they admit that the Cera can't be on for a long time. I don't want to say that TET is trying to
defraud anyone OF, but i read all the Cera Threads since 3 months and until last week Tim said "Every day I'm working on sourcing new switches" and now we have a "we will no longer offer a latching switch". (Did they even offer it one day?)....so i'am a little disappointed.

And i can understand your vision of the Beta Testing, but IMO when a company launch a product, and one month later when the company said that Beta Testers had give rise to cancel the production of an essential part of the Cera LL (the latching switch) .....then i think that the product was not totally ready.

I'am sure that Cera EO is probably one of the best vape for oils, but for herb......not sure .................i don't want a vape who i need to click it/click it/click it/click it every time i need a puff ...................

Don't misunderstand me, i'am sad...because my quest for my perfect portable is not ending here....

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
I'am sure that Cera EO is probably one of the best vape for oils, but for herb......not sure .................i don't want a vape who i need to click it/click it/click it/click it every time i need a puff ...................

Don't misunderstand me, i'am sad...because my quest for my perfect portable is not ending here....
It is a shame that it might not be as easy as it could have been to have a latching switch for the LL cart. But cheap user modification is possible to potentially provide all or almost all functionality you'd seek. Aluminum foil in the battery tube is only the quickest and cheapest option, and I understand aversion to that in a $300 vaporizer. But ma7ija came up with a neat looking velcro "latching sleeve":
That's my permanent switch :)

wp000119.jpg
wp000117t.jpg
I'm sure others will come up with other clever solutions. Also, the specs of the Cera are very "open", so perhaps we'll even see a third-party switch you could screw in and use. All of this isn't ideal of course, but it seems worth considering if that's the only hang-up in your quest for the perfect portable…

OF

On the blog of thermovape : "this is from the reports of our beta testers saying that their Cera gets very hot when left on for excessive amounts of time".

For me, they admit that the Cera can't be on for a long time. I don't want to say that TET is trying to
defraud anyone OF, but i read all the Cera Threads since 3 months and until last week Tim said "Every day I'm working on sourcing new switches" and now we have a "we will no longer offer a latching switch". (Did they even offer it one day?)....so i'am a little disappointed.

And i can understand your vision of the Beta Testing, but IMO when a company launch a product, and one month later when the company said that Beta Testers had give rise to cancel the production of an essential part of the Cera LL (the latching switch) .....then i think that the product was not totally ready.

I don't doubt there are seven videos. Nor do I doubt the first was LL. You said 'there are seven LL videos', I don't think that's the case. I still recall one LL, and the rest oil.

What you quote is a report, not admitting anything. "Admits" is an inflammatory term. They did nothing underhanded, they nothing to admit to.....there is no sin I can see.

I can't swear Tim is working everyday on switches, but I do know he's working on them. We've discussed and tested several. I've taken four home for Beta testing. Latching switches are included in that search. There are useful latching switches available, I'm testing one of my own right now in fact. Mine is in an entirely different body and would need a different end cap. But if I read this right, that whole effort (latching switches) has been called off for different reasons than not having an acceptable switch. If they had it ready to go, as I see it they would still not sell them for the reason they stated?

It would be impossible, of course, to test until you were sure there were no safety issues of concern. Nor can you really expect to know what you'll find. Cars get safety recalls 'all the time' and you're surely not saying Toyota doesn't Beta Test their stuff? When an issue comes up, you deal with it. There is always an element of risk. If we were to do as suggested and wait until Cera was proven foolproof in all cases we'll no doubt get bored and wonder off.

Folks can continue to decide for themselves, as they should, but for me I'm glad TV decided to release Cera, warts and all.

For additional food for thought I hauled out my original 'push button bypass' clip, it needed to be bent a bit to work with the flat switch of course but it does fine.

Then I decided to try a couple pieces of bent wire, one hinged on the other:

In practice you drop the switch though the loop before installing it on the tube. You then loop the lever up around the end (depressing the switch when you're holding it in):

If you set it down, it shuts off. You can also flip the lever around the other way and stand it up on it's end if you want:

I'm sure other (more clever) guys will come up with other work arounds if the demand is strong enough. In fact I think I can hear the gears turning in Pipe's mind from here?

OF

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
This switch thing is beat to death. It's not there. It's probably not going to be there. That's the reality of it. Shit happens. If it's a deal-breaker, then break the deal and move on. I wanted the latching switch, too, because I liked the idea. But it got scrapped, and that's that. Had they not been so transparent, it would have been way less of a big deal. 99% of companies don't even bother telling you how many renditions they went through before arriving at something, much less show you exactly what's going on and then telling you why it does/doesn't work. We get it, we've already crucified TET enough for it. God forbid we scare another manufacturer out of the site...

This is coming from someone that's waiting for the Cera Mini EO because I don't want to mess around much with holding switches for too long. Why is it that I can withhold myself from making (yet another) post about it?? Yes, it sucks, and that's life. Good think we're at liberty to cancel orders and get money back for not liking something.

:horse: it should be a graveyard, not a horse.

leetmode

Those videos were both Loose Leaf and Essential Oil versions, with the majority of them being Essential Oil videos. If I remember correctly only 2 of them were Loose Leaf.

They also never said or promised it could be on forever. I understand the frustration of not having something to help keep it on for LL users but you also have to remember that when you pre-ordered the Cera there was a user agreement that said everything was subject to change. Hopefully TET will chime in and give further explanation as to why the switch will no longer be offered.

By that logic then there are hundreds of millions of products that are/were not ready when they are/were released. Companies always make changes to their products before or after they are released based on user feedback. For example I just received a letter from the manufacture of a vehicle I own about a recall due to faulty brakes, stating the range of dates of production, based on many customers turning in that same model SUV at their dealership for repair.

If the latch is that much of a big deal to you, TET will be more than happy to refund your money so that you can continue your quest for the perfect portable vaporizer.

J.D.420

420th Dragoons
I've been doing a bit of research myself and there are numerous latching switches available online (illuminated ones too) of various sizes and shapes. when ever my cera arrives I plan on looking in to the viability of fabbing my own latching switch. I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron/dremel/sledge hammer sooo we'll see what's what. worse comes to worse I need a new end cap (or burn my house down) but nothing ventured...

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Quetzalcoatl,
Salutations LeetMode,

...we're at liberty to cancel orders and get money back for not liking something.

That's one part which escapes me completely: there's been people willing to demonstrate their support by sending money early but then a few weeks later they cancel the pre-order and add to the manufacturer's difficulties by doing so...

:shrug:

Hopefully TET will chime in and give further explanation as to why the switch will no longer be offered.

A switch is still going to be available, it's just not going to be a "latching" type... At least that specific part sounds perfectly clear to me now!

In any instance, momentary or not that's not even a real issue when AC powered and hence i re-iterate: what about a battery substitution adapter?...

OF

when ever my cera arrives I plan on looking in to the viability of fabbing my own latching switch. I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron/dremel/sledge hammer sooo we'll see what's what. worse comes to worse I need a new end cap (or burn my house down) but nothing ventured...

That's basically what I did. I got a reject switch body, sawed the threaded part for the switch off, hogged out the inside with the dremel to let the corners of this guy in:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/40-4325-00/512PB-ND/254287

Then I potted it all in place. I blew the first (2 Amp) version in a heat run, but this one (10 Amps) is holding up just fine with the 4 Amps or so involved. The first was being abused, but I was waiting on the higher priced ones and decided to try them.

Interesting switch, locally made, under two bucks.

Love that switch OF...you can just hold it normal to have it on and when you let go it goes off...brilliant. Now we need pretty hehe:D

Sorry, Lady, pretty you gotta get elsewhere....... Pipes comes to mind?

In any instance, momentary or not that's not even a real issue when AC powered and hence i re-iterate: what about a battery substitution adapter?...

OK, I'll play your silly game.....how about a battery adapter?

You don't suppose it's been discussed a bit, do you? I bet if it was and you were there you'd find out there's no really good 3.7 Volt supplies to base one on, more so when you throw the 'made in USA rule' in the mix. That means you might have to consider making your unit run on some other voltage and make a custom regulator (yes, that means electronics....) to suit your needs. Might even be nice to have it variable voltage over a reasonable range? Maybe even have it accept inputs up to 12 VDC so a car cord would work?

Naw, probably not, hugh?

OF

Skored

I've lurked this and original threads from the very beginning with eager anticipation for my first vaporizer. All the complaining, both in anticipation of this device and thereafter have been nothing but frustrating to sift through and a drain to read.

That being said, poor move TET, even if it' a CYA move. You are basically taking away the "easy to use" functionality away from the LL. I don't have the new switch yet (and I know it's easier to depress), but I can honestly say that it's a pain having to use the momentary switch with LL. It's so much nicer to turn on, load, and go till you're done. Hence the reason people are desperately trying to create their own. Come on people, it's an oven in your hand... turn it off when you are done! How hard is it to remember to turn it off when done with it? My sessions with Cera have been about 6-8 minutes. Yes the device gets hot, but not so hot that you can't handle it. When I decided I've had enough, I turn off the power... just like any other electric item I own. Including my stove top... sure glad that doesn't come with a momentary switch!

No we weren't duped. And no, TET didn't really lie. But they are now putting out a product with different features than what was originally sold or communicated. The latching switch was one featured improvement over the T1. They sort of made a big deal about it in the beginning. It's just a shame that a liability issue is going to prevent a really good product from hitting the market.

And just so you guys know, most great products don't have to modified after purchase. But that seems like the best option here. No doubt will hurt sales and potentially cause people to lean towards other vapes for LL users. At least that's my take on it... and I'm a first time vape owner that only has access to LL.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations OF,

...i re-iterate: what about a battery substitution adapter?...

OK, I'll play your silly game...

No games, what you see is what you get.

You don't suppose it's been discussed a bit, do you?

No, it was? Did this leave an echo on FC?? I may have suggested it already but i don't recall what the answer was, as a matter of fact...

:doh:

...there's no really good 3.7 Volt supplies to base one on... ...inputs up to 12 VDC so a car cord would work?

Lets start with the adaptor: without one there's just no need for an adjustable PSU to begin with and hence the matter is effectively closed!!

Right?

Egzoset,

OF

Lets start with the adaptor: without one there's just no need for an adjustable PSU to begin with and hence the matter is effectively closed!!

Right?

So you really think you're the only guy to have considered this? I don't.

Sometimes guys can't take hints I guess? I believe it's being considered in a well thought through way as part of an overall plan. I have reasons to believe it will be introduced in due time unless something changes that.

No, please make that I know it's being considered, I've been asked my opinions on a couple of ideas. Not to worry.

I also understand that with the very much improved battery life (half an hour or more?) being 'corded' is not seen as such a big deal any more. But they've said they plan on developing one (along with adapters.....) in addition to the much awaited 'mini Cera'. I trust their judgement there too.

OF

OF,
Reactions: ogcook
Top Bottom