Discontinued Thermovape Cera

johnnyvapor

Hi all! Just got back to my mailbox( and finally decided to register) because my brand new Cera LL has arrived :dog:. I will be putting it through its paces shortly. Wasn't expecting my Cera at all yet considering I didn't receive any shipping info and ordered mid december (14th to be exact).

Review to come shortly... if I'm not too medicated :spliff:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Public Service Announcement:

Do not look around for rubber caps that might fit snugly onto the Cera switch.
These culprits can be very dangerous as can keep the switch engaged if anything gets into them and pushed down too far.

round-vinyl-caps-group1-250x250.png

These rubber caps are used on the ends of many tube type apparatuses. Now if one happens to find it's way to your Cera, do not panic, if not pushed down all the way you should still be able to use as momentary but should remove before it keeps the switch pushed down by itself. This can be very dangerous and I would not recommend these caps getting too close.
You have been warned....

Bronzs

Hey guys, first post here. I have read through 50 pages of discussion on this thing and I am still confused. So, how the frick does this thing work? Are you still able to use the little button on the side, that is more towards the top, like in the youtube videos? Or is there this new button that they put in on the bottom?

I dont know what is going on anymore sorry, and if you guys could help me out that would be great.

Bronzs,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
The button on the side is no longer a button. It is a pin that you put in so the cera doesn't turn on by accident...guess we deemed it a travel pin. The only button is the one on the bottom that you have to hold while vaping.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: OF

Bronzs

The button on the side is no longer a button. It is a pin that you put in so the cera doesn't turn on by accident...guess we deemed it a travel pin. The only button is the one on the bottom that you have to hold while vaping.
Thanks for the reply, pay that last post no mind, still trying to figure this forum out, and I cant figure out how to delete a post.

Anyhow, doesnt the button on the bottom kind of make it more conspicuous in public? It just doesnt seem as stealthy, if you have to reach to the bottom every time.

Bronzs,
Reactions: Kief

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Dreamerr,

MPZ

Hi again everyone,

I just got off the phone with Zeki. The 2900mah batteries that Thermovape was originally going to ship just got in. I asked, and they are Panasonic NCR18650PD. They aren't quite at IMR levels of performance, but are extremely close, and have more capacity. For the EO and EL carts, the battery used isn't as important, as warmup time is super-short (so go ahead and buy protected 3400mah and be happy, IMO). For those with the loose leaf, fasttech.com has the NCR18650PD at 2 for 15.94 with free worldwide shipping (it will probably take a bit, as they are are in china).
URL:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...onic-ncr18650pd-18650-36v-2900mah-rechargeabl

P.S. Hey Pipes, you wouldn't happen to have a link to a cap that fits well, would you... for safety testing only, of course :lol:

OF

For those with the loose leaf, fasttech.com has the NCR18650PD at 2 for 15.94 with free worldwide shipping (it will probably take a bit, as they are are in china).

Good tip if it's genuine.....

We're talking about a part of the world not famous for respecting such small matters as copyrights and counterfeiting. Less so in export matters.

You might wonder what a battery made in Japan is doing on the gray market in China?

Purchase from known vendors or appreciation of the risks advised?

OF

bopper

Hi again everyone,

I just got off the phone with Zeki. The 2900mah batteries that Thermovape was originally going to ship just got in. I asked, and they are Panasonic NCR18650PD. They aren't quite at IMR levels of performance, but are extremely close, and have more capacity. For the EO and EL carts, the battery used isn't as important, as warmup time is super-short (so go ahead and buy protected 3400mah and be happy, IMO). For those with the loose leaf, fasttech.com has the NCR18650PD at 2 for 15.94 with free worldwide shipping (it will probably take a bit, as they are are in china).
URL:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...onic-ncr18650pd-18650-36v-2900mah-rechargeabl

P.S. Hey Pipes, you wouldn't happen to have a link to a cap that fits well, would you... for safety testing only, of course :lol:

If I'm not mistaken those batteries are unprotected. If memory serves, the unprotected Panasonic battery was going to have protection circuitry added and a wrapping by a US-based company. It would be strange indeed if TET was now recommending using the unprotected version in the Cera.

Best,

bopper

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
If I'm not mistaken those batteries are unprotected. If memory serves, the unprotected Panasonic battery was going to have protection circuitry added and a wrapping by a US-based company. It would be strange indeed if TET was now recommending using the unprotected version in the Cera.

Best,

bopper
+1
NCR18650PD info.
Li-ion needs protection was my understanding too.

PB88123

Vaporist
The top thermal cap is on the site and priced at $4.99

sSYr0vN.jpg

Does not cover the tip. Looks like you can put your lips past the tip and over the cover if the tip gets too hot.

Just 1 color for now. No signs of the body sleeve. Although for that you have to account for the holes where the air comes in and have to make sure those are not covered. Hopefully soon and in black for those looking to purchase one.

johnnyvapor

First impressions: WOW the flavor is UNREAL. Being akin to the T1 I was able to pull vapor on my very first attempts.

Those are about the only two positives I can draw so far.

On the negative side:
The LL is unusable in the longterm (if you don't want arthritis in the next couple of years) without some sort of latching switch. The slide switch on the T1 was something that needed improvement and I would consider the switch on the Cera a downgrade from the T1. To be honest besides the battery life there aren't many positives of the Cera over T1 (that I have found so far). The bowl still needs to be stirred and the battery lasts about two bowls MAX. The Cera is also a lot more sturdy than the T1 (heavier) and doesn't seem to fit in my pockets quite as well. As of right now for my home driver I prefer AC adapter and T1 over Cera and batteries.

Anyway I'm hoping I find a few positives before my next update- JohnnyVapor

2clicker

Observer
i was thinking the opposite. let it sit flush to the body when off but fold under and up the other side to become a squeeze lever momentary switch. don't let it sit flush when engaging the button. make it obvious that the lever has to be flipped back to put away.

do my ramblings make sense?

i would call it a "fold away lever"

that sounds like a pretty nice idea there.

i keep thinking that the switch mechanism for my Surefire flashlight would be the PERFECT switch for this or any pocket vape really. basically its a threaded cap switch with a momentary button on the end. or "Tactical tailcap switch—press for momentary-on, twist for constant-on", but this also allows you to un-twist it just enough to where the momentary button wont engage. so it would never go on in your pocket. you could add dimples or something to line up when switch is in different modes for those who prefer to feel if its on.

the only downside is that you wouldnt be able to stand the Cera up on end, but you cant now anyway. it would be perfect.

Rocco

Hello to all, loving all the switch ideas, I surely will post about my experiemnts when my Cera is in hand. Alas, I ordered January 15th so I have some time till then and caught myself wondering about the switch specifics (diameter, sizes, etc..) But I could not find the switch specifications that were posted earlier today or sometime yesterday, If anyone happened to have the time to jot those notes down would you be so kind as to send them in a PM or something? They will benefit my switch modding ideas very much:bowdown:

Rocco,

iamn3ko

Hello to all, loving all the switch ideas, I surely will post about my experiemnts when my Cera is in hand. Alas, I ordered January 15th so I have some time till then and caught myself wondering about the switch specifics (diameter, sizes, etc..) But I could not find the switch specifications that were posted earlier today or sometime yesterday, If anyone happened to have the time to jot those notes down would you be so kind as to send them in a PM or something? They will benefit my switch modding ideas very much:bowdown:

For those of you who want to tinker on your Cera, the switch is a 19mm Panel mount, minimum 2Amp @ 36V, and no longer than 27MM.

We have the Thermal Sleeves in! They will go online ASAP

Cheers,
Tim

Rocco

Thanks for the reference Iam3ko!
I Think I will start researching some small hand held flashlight switches and mechanisms of sorts, seems like it could prove fruitful :science:

Rocco,
Reactions: iamn3ko

OF

The bowl still needs to be stirred and the battery lasts about two bowls MAX.

This is very interesting. I've spent some time with LL carts (3 different values) with bud and bubble and have not found any of them "still needs to be stirred"? Nor do I see battery life anything nearly that short....

What battery are you using (the TV supplied one?)? Does it seem to be charging correctly? Anyone else finding stirring necessary or battery life times shorter than say 20 minutes?

Something doesn't seem right here......

TIA

OF, you don't have any issues having that metal ring between the switch and Cera body when using your wire mod do you?

Nope, no problems. Make the hole the right size (about 1.89 inches ID) and the ring not too thick (say under 1/8) and you should be fine.

Good luck.

OF

OF,
Reactions: iamn3ko

iamn3ko

OF, you don't have any issues having that metal ring between the switch and Cera body when using your wire mod do you?

I'm brainstorming pretty hard on my own clamp type rig that will mount to the Cera, but that ring being 1 of 2 strong points that's holding my "clamp" idea to the Cera.

I just don't have it yet so I can't really experiment yet.

Also here is my newest sketch of my "Clamp" idea, only thing it's missing I think, is some sort of spring maybe under the triangle that keeps the clamp switch to the Cera closer to the top, so that it will always stay unpressed away from the button. oh and the hole for the pin could go in still on the side, I forgot to put that in.

But basically you'd just squeeze it with your hand or pointer finger and it slides up/down the triangle piece and pulls the lever up, completing the press of the button. Then there's the spring I mentioned that keeps the lever out. Could be optional... W/e.

I used the idea I discussed with Quetzalcoatl last night by using the "door hinge" latch for the lever.

Overall, sounds like it would work to me, and makes the Cera look totally Non-Dildoish and mother fucking bad ass! Maybe get someone to make a Ti or SS version. Sorry dont mean to toot my own horn, but I would love this for myself.

And just to mention, there would be some sort of thin padding on the underside of the ring around the center of the body and a small piece on the lever that actually touches the button. Keeping the Cera free from scratches or damage, staying within warranty and legal boundaries, etc...

So many ideas, so you could also put a small notch in the "triangle piece" that could hold the switch deeming it a "latching" switch, and just reclick out of it.

And don't mind the sketch on the left, that was so yesterday's idea.

Sorry for the shit drawing, this is all free hand, too lazy to break out the good ol rulers and protractors.

o1bpz.jpg

jivebuggered

I'm brainstorming pretty hard on my own clamp type rig that will mount to the Cera, but that ring being 1 of 2 strong points that's holding my "clamp" idea to the Cera.

I just don't have it yet so I can't really experiment yet.

Also here is my newest sketch of my "Clamp" idea, only thing it's missing I think, is some sort of spring maybe under the triangle that keeps the clamp switch to the Cera closer to the top, so that it will always stay unpressed away from the button. oh and the hole for the pin could go in still on the side, I forgot to put that in.

But basically you'd just squeeze it with your hand or pointer finger and it slides up/down the triangle piece and pulls the lever up, completing the press of the button. Then there's the spring I mentioned that keeps the lever out. Could be optional... W/e.

I used the idea I discussed with Quetzalcoatl last night by using the "door hinge" latch for the lever.

Overall, sounds like it would work to me, and makes the Cera look totally Non-Dildoish and mother fucking bad ass! Maybe get someone to make a Ti or SS version. Sorry dont mean to toot my own horn, but I would love this for myself.

And just to mention, there would be some sort of thin padding on the underside of the ring around the center of the body and a small piece on the lever that actually touches the button. Keeping the Cera free from scratches or damage, staying within warranty and legal boundaries, etc...

So many ideas, so you could also put a small notch in the "triangle piece" that could hold the switch deeming it a "latching" switch, and just reclick out of it.

And don't mind the sketch on the left, that was so yesterday's idea.

Sorry for the shit drawing, this is all free hand, too lazy to break out the good ol rulers and protractors.

Well i received my CERA in the post today. I am not sure if i am the first to comment in Aussie? I have a Extreme Q, just sold my Silver Surfer but have mainly used my Solo 99% of the time. My CERA is the LL variety so packed some in. These are my impressions.As discussed at great length, the latching switch i didn`t like and will be looking to try something better. The unit heated very quickly and i drew a couple of "starter" draws and then a bigger one. I had a slight taste of combustion so i stopped and looked at the bowl. It was indeed burnt in the middle. Just below the tip it was extremely hot. It seems to me this thing is really cranking out the heat way to much and combusting the material. I have enough experience after many years of vapping to try different sucking rates, heat temp etc to usually get things right so at the moment i am not exactly happy. Unless i am doing something wrong this unit gets too hot near the material and close to suction tip way too soon. I will continue to experiment but at the moment the solo is looking good again. One positive, the "effect" was good. Please comment if i am doing something wrong thanks.

jivebuggered,

OF

It was indeed burnt in the middle. Just below the tip it was extremely hot. It seems to me this thing is really cranking out the heat way to much and combusting the material. I have enough experience after many years of vapping to try different sucking rates, heat temp etc to usually get things right so at the moment i am not exactly happy.

Sounds to me like you might be pulling too hard on it? That is drawing in more heat than you can use to evaporate the goods. You're not giving the herb outside the shortest route through the bowl a chance to get to temperature before you're overheating the stuff in the center. I suggest slowing down a fair bit and seeing if that doesn't get the bowl to uniformly vape? Then experiment further from there.

I seriously doubt it is a too powerful heater.

Best wishes.

OF

Skeena

Standing stone faced like a statue.
Can the momentary switch be sanded down so the cera can stand up right?

Skeena,
Top Bottom