Discontinued Thermovape Cera

chevelle970

Swell, isn't that the way it is? Murphy never misses and easy bet like that I guess. Dozens of types to pick from, and they drop the hot ticket for our narrow use.

Thanks, Pak. Might be a good time to stash one or two?

That doesn't matter, this is cutting edge stuff, ever changing. There are, I think, two key points to keep in mind. First is we put a very big demand on the battery in terms of flat out power, we demand stuff that's normally part of tradeoffs given for other characteristics. Secondly, we want it to provide this unmatched performance forever between charges.

Oh, yeah, we want it cheap, too.

Some types of batteries must never be fully discharged. These same types also provide the best "energy density" (power per pound if you will). So cell phones and laptops (as well as cameras and so on) use this high energy density type, but use circuits to shut it down if the battery gets weak (sometimes happens with cell phones I'm told?).

The real danger with this kind of battery is if it's part of a pack and it's the weak one (one has to go flat first....), the others can force current through it, basically trying to charge it backwards.....not successfully, but enough to keep the owner wondering why the lights are dim. In our case, having only one battery in use at one time, there is no chance of this really deadly situation. Still, I think, if a guy got err..r.r.rr distracted(?) and kept the power button on (like if he had a latching switch, maybe?) taking it under 2.5 Volts is considered bad for it's lifespan.

Back to the first point. We not only want four or more Amps but we want it delivered without 'voltage sag under load'. That voltage sag represents power lost heating the battery. If it sags 10%, 90% of the power produced is delivered where we want it, 10% is heat in the battery.....exactly where we don't want it. Not only don't we get to make vapor with it (the whole goal originally for most of us) but it is very bad for the battery as well. Double loose.

So, using Longshoreman Logic, we demand more to be sure of getting what we really want. We want/need five, so look to batteries rated for 10 Amps. This makes the shopping much easier, really, there are two batteries on that list. The one that doesn't need protection goes maybe 20 minute or a little more, the other closer to half an hour with the same power levels. One is pretty much bomb proof, the other is likely to loose capacity if you deep discharge it too often. Once deep enough (like to zero?) could well be enough. Adding the protection circuit negates this 10 Amp feature we crave.

Or so it seems right now. At least to me.

Maybe.

Bottom line is either is a great choice (go figure), a cut above the others in the brute power arena and both should give long service with reasonable care on your part. IMO both are worthy choices for Cera.

Maybe.

First off, howdy, good to meet you! Do you have yours yet?

As to the question, I seriously doubt it. First off, it's often part of the NDA (non disclosure agreement) you enter into with vendors, they swear you to absolute secrecy first before they talk fancy stuff like this so they can keep customers from exchanging pricing and beating them up. TV would be bound by those contracts for some period forward. Secondly, for a host of reasons (some of which I'm sure you can spot) that's not good 'business sense', in fact quite the opposite. Investors tend to shy away from companies that tell their competition the 'intellectual property' that gives the company value. To the bean counters, that's exactly what that to us very useful information is. They paid for it, they want you to pay at least as much to get it.

So, while it'd be very nice, I wouldn't hold my breath.

We know plenty to go forward. Package, size and electrical specs. Funny how search engines don't find a ready fix even when the 'made in USA' filter is take off?

OF
I've been lurking in the shadows since page 60 of the last thread that was locked down. Mostly just keeping an eye out for Tims posts. Ordered mine on Nov 31 and waiting patiently. I've been using ecigs for over four years now and can say I'm done with cheaply made(china) ecigs. I've been using TV's ava atomizer on my apex alpha ultramax since November and love their technology and innovation. I view the cera as the next giant leap in vaporization. Made in the USA is a big plus in my book. Sad to say that being active duty military is keeping me from purchasing the LL and EO cores. Anyways, just thought I'd come out the closet and say hi.

J.D.420

420th Dragoons
Found this (19mm SPST switch) on a website and Im thinking about ordering it as a possible latching switch.:hmm:
egytLVV.gif

txfltT7.jpg

It came across this and other switches on a website by the name of mouser, Im not exactly sure if this switch is compatible though, how exactly would I know without actually ordering it ad testing to see if it fits or conducts properly?
Its 19mm, rating of 48V DC, 2 A

Interesting find do you know the manufacturers name?

J.D.420,

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
I've been lurking in the shadows since page 60 of the last thread that was locked down. Mostly just keeping an eye out for Tims posts. Ordered mine on Nov 31 and waiting patiently. I've been using ecigs for over four years now and can say I'm done with cheaply made(china) ecigs. I've been using TV's ava atomizer on my apex alpha ultramax since November and love their technology and innovation. I view the cera as the next giant leap in vaporization. Made in the USA is a big plus in my book. Sad to say that being active duty military is keeping me from purchasing the LL and EO cores. Anyways, just thought I'd come out the closet and say hi.

Oh boy i gotta be care full what i say :ninja:

Glad you like your Ultramax! I use mine daily, although i don't use Nic fluid.... :clap:

Thanks for the shout out! :rockon:

Cheers,
Tim

Rocco

Look up Apem,Galco, Schurter, Newark, ETM electronics and or E-Switches. They mostly have other large websites sell their products along side similar switches and other thigs related to the industries needing these. Alot of these types of switches are used for purposes such as security( similar to the buttons banks and business's have under counters for emergency purpose, they also are used for cars and other heavy machinery and anything else that may need A rad button ( for instance our CERAs!:rockon:)

jivebuggered

Hi, just re asking my question what members think about getting the switch out of the housing, is it possible without destroying the housing? Also a cheap water pipe that you dont need a car washer to clean? Thanks

jivebuggered,

J.D.420

420th Dragoons
Hi, just re asking my question what members think about getting the switch out of the housing, is it possible without destroying the housing? Also a cheap water pipe that you dont need a car washer to clean? Thanks

As for the switch question I've not received mine yet and couldn't say. Perhaps OF or others could chime in? I've contacted TET and they mentioned possibility of purchasing switch housings/end caps without switches installed later on down the road after the back orders have been filled and stock of cera parts is up. Alternatively you could find someone with a cnc mill or 3d printer and have them knock one out for you

J.D.420,
Reactions: rcflo

YeeeBuddy

Would be nice to hear something official from TET on the batteries, my updated order form from today says 2900 mAH 18650 Protected Li-Co, are they going to be protected or not?

YeeeBuddy,

OF

Hi, just re asking my question what members think about getting the switch out of the housing, is it possible without destroying the housing?

Yes, while I've never done it, it should not be a problem. The switch gets the spring epoxied to the back of the switch after being connected inside a fiber tube. This assembly then threads in the back end as you can see in the photo above in post 1259.

Any standard 19mm switch should thread directly in provided it's short enough. You'll need to connect ones side of the switch to the cap body and the other to the spring.

Would be nice to hear something official from TET on the batteries, my updated order form from today says 2900 mAH 18650 Protected Li-Co, are they going to be protected or not?

As I explained (or tried to) the 2900 mAh battery provided by TV, the NCR18650PD, which TV gave me earlier to test is NOT protected. Please take my word for it, I really do know what I'm talking about. I have it right here in front of me, I'm not guessing.

If you're still not comfortable, I suggest you call them and ask, they will ask Tim who will no doubt tell them to tell you exactly what he told me at the start of the battery discussion we had 10 hours or so back. Their testing confirmed what Haywood and I both found in the publicly available information, of the available Li-ion batteries the best one for our use is not protected. Protected versions of this very same battery, like all the others, perform in an inferior manner at the levels we use.

You probably don't want a any protected battery over the one they're using, I sure don't. Not if you want maximum performance.

Insist on their saying the same thing if you must, it will just waste their time confirming what's been said, like I guess I'm doing with mine right now?

Can the panasonic 2250mah battery be a flat top? Or must it be the button top?

Howdy, welcome to the fun! I hope you get yours soon.

Yes, TV is shipping the flat to version (I'm not sure I've seen a button top listed anywhere???). The button top only issue was related to the now abandoned (IMO for good reasons, like it doesn't work well.....) slide switch. Not to worry.

OF

YeeeBuddy

I got it now, I wasn't really concerned just thought it would be good to clear this up so we don't get more people freaking out over not getting EXACTLY what is stated.

YeeeBuddy,

OF

I got it now, I wasn't really concerned just thought it would be good to clear this up so we don't get more people freaking out over not getting EXACTLY what is stated.

Great. Confusion is understood, and quite natural, more so given it's a very confusing topic.

The bottom line is that battery type, NCR18650PD only comes unprotected. The protected versions all have a different part number on the end. Edit: That's the end of the part number, not the number on the end of the battery.....of which there seems to be none....although there is an interesting crimp on the minus end.... OF

You (and everyone else I hope) will be getting the right one from TV. If you order elsewhere, be sure to get that exact number, this is another case of 'close counts in horseshoes and grenades'. Similar numbers (from the same maker) won't do as well for us.

OF

jivebuggered

Yes, while I've never done it, it should not be a problem. The switch gets the spring epoxied to the back of the switch after being connected inside a fiber tube. This assembly then threads in the back end as you can see in the photo above in post 1259.

Any standard 19mm switch should thread directly in provided it's short enough. You'll need to connect ones side of the switch to the cap body and the other to the spring.

As I explained (or tried to) the 2900 mAh battery provided by TV, the NCR18650PD, which TV gave me earlier to test is NOT protected. Please take my word for it, I really do know what I'm talking about. I have it right here in front of me, I'm not guessing.

If you're still not comfortable, I suggest you call them and ask, they will ask Tim who will no doubt tell them to tell you exactly what he told me at the start of the battery discussion we had 10 hours or so back. Their testing confirmed what Haywood and I both found in the publicly available information, of the available Li-ion batteries the best one for our use is not protected. Protected versions of this very same battery, like all the others, perform in an inferior manner at the levels we use.

You probably don't want a any protected battery over the one they're using, I sure don't. Not if you want maximum performance.

Insist on their saying the same thing if you must, it will just waste their time confirming what's been said, like I guess I'm doing with mine right now?

Howdy, welcome to the fun! I hope you get yours soon.

Yes, TV is shipping the flat to version (I'm not sure I've seen a button top listed anywhere???). The button top only issue was related to the now abandoned (IMO for good reasons, like it doesn't work well.....) slide switch. Not to worry.

OF
Thanks for the reply. I had no luck with my contact for a switch unfortunately, hopefully someone will have more luck finding one. How does one break up epoxy and better still keep the copper "pigs tail"? Ta

jivebuggered,
Reactions: OF

Belgianvapor

So I recieved my unit today (after being almost 4 weeks in customs here in my country argh)
first of all, like everybody before me already said " this thing is heavy !"
But no, it really is ! I can see people with muscle disease who have limited force could find it on the heavy side but I very much like it thank you.
Whoever ordered this but had in the back of his/her head this little voice telling you it was too expensive they will change their minds when they are holding a cera. It is massive !
On the other hand, it was smaller then I first imagined.
too bad Tet forgot my extra O rings but oh well.
When I started my first session I must say it gets hot pretty fast.
I kept the button pressed for a couple of minutes while taking long slow inhales and after a while the
mouth piece really got hot, close to being unconfortable.
Meanwhile I was getting great clouds from the third inhale on.
At the same time i began to feel that the push button started to get hot as well.
I don't know if this is normal but it felt like it wouldn't be confortable anymore soon if I kept going.
(ps, I'm a patrychef/breadbaker so my hands are used to some heat)
I unscrewed the bottom cap and took out the battery but that was slightly above luke warm so thats
not the problem.
Whats pretty awesome is that no matter how hot the tip gets, the air you inhale stays very cool.
also, the button pushes very easily and I found that when my finger gets tired it's because I'm over pushing, using much more force then needed.
I did notice that after my first few minutes, my bud was still green on the outside and getting a bit darker in the middle but I think I saw a post from OF awhile go concerning exactly that problem and how to avoid it so I'm going to try a few more times by myself and if it's still the same I'm going to look it up.
ok, sorry if i rambled but i wrote this right after the first session, the cera is cooling down at this moment.
More tests later.

johnnyvapor

Ok after a few days of use I'm starting to get the hang of this thing. I figured it would be helpful for some if I did a compare/contrast with the Pax.

Pros of the Cera LL over Pax: The taste is a lot better, it's easier too clean, more sturdy/built better, everything is customizable, a lot less smelly than pax.

Pros of Pax over Cera LL: Vapor production is produced A LOT more easily and quickly. The bowl holds a lot more herbs so it is possible to medicate multiple times on one load. The Pax battery only takes an hour and 15 minutes to charge and you get 50+ minutes of runtime per charge. It seems the cera is more of a technique vape than the pax (this might not be a + to some), with the pax it's just turn it on and pretty much anybody can hit it without instruction other than to just hit it like a J or Bowl. You can use the pax pretty easily on the go, with the cera it is really hard to get hits without actually being able to concentrate on technique, for example if you are walking somewhere and breaking more heavily you might not be able to get the same vapor production that you normally would sitting at home using the cera. Temp control is another feature of the Pax (there are 3 diff settings).

Some other notes: A lot of the Cera's vapor production comes during consecutive bowls while the device is hot. It's really hard to try and take a couple of hits if you are on the go since the device relies so heavily on a buildup of heat. With the Pax I can turn it on and put it in my pocket, and then once it's heated take a hit or two and then put it away.

Anyways that's all for now.... back to the lab for some more testing :spliff:

Jdubman420

Long time lurker 1st time post. I'm a little annoyed finding out from this forum that we need unprotected cells now. I ordered a couple Panasonic 2900mah Orbtronic protected cells based upon the specs still up on Thermovapes site-

"
What batteries can be used in the Cera?

We use custom made 18650 2900 mAh 3.7V Rechargeable battery for our Cera Vaporizers. They are made with japanese cell, and the protective circuitry is over wrapped in the US. We recommend using these batteries explicitly as we have done testing and research. Do not use an ICR Li-Co un-protected lithium ion, lithium cobalt batteries. Any battery has to be protected with a minimum 2C. Some of the technical specifications and specific mechanical or physical details of the parts of the Cera in which are fully manufactured by outside suppliers such as our rechargeable batteries and mechanical safety switch are subject to change, in specifications but not overall performance value. These changes are subject to change without prior notification."

Not to mention the battery that is offered with purchase is protected. Why isn't this up on Thermopvapes site? I can't return my batteries as I've had them sometime now. Well I'm expecting a couple free cells from Thermovape if this is the case. This is coming from someone who could care less about the latching switch as I'm a oil whore only

Cheers!
Dub

Skored

Here's my very simple mod to bypass the switch for LL

DdGy7Yi.jpg

6srk7KL.jpg

Hands down the best mod so far. Was wondering about this ever since viewing your video. Doesn't detract the appearance of the Cera and looks super simple to use. Very well done and thanks for sharing.

Skored,

OF

Thanks for the reply. I had no luck with my contact for a switch unfortunately, hopefully someone will have more luck finding one. How does one break up epoxy and better still keep the copper "pigs tail"? Ta

For sure the switch selection issue is not trivial. That's why I went the other way, starting with an appropriate (from an electrical not mechanical POV) off the shelf switch.

There's no need to break up the epoxy (heat it the key there) since the switch threads into the body of the cap with the spring and epoxy already set, just unscrew it again? However, recovering the spring (if that's what you mean). It's not copper, but a controlled alloy to provide protection by collapsing when overheated which means you can't use heat to get it out if you want to reuse it.

You can get appropriate 'flashlight springs' from some hardware stores (don't have the protection, of course) and can also use normal cylindrical compression springs (the tapered shape helps with stacking but with careful fitting this isn't needed (and is not used on many vapes in fact). I asked for (and got) two of them from TV for my experiments, I can't speak for them of course but I bet if you asked real nice they'd send you a couple? I bet if you offered to send them a SASE to mail them in Tim or someone would mail it back for you without causing them a lot of fuss and expense with paperwork and shipping? Feel free to tell Tim I suggested it, he can't think all that much less of me anyway......

Good luck in your Holy Quest. IMO this is great stuff in the long run, when TV gets ahead of the curve enough to start custom core builds and stuff out ability to exploit the modular basis of Cera will really open up I bet.

Long time lurker 1st time post. I'm a little annoyed finding out from this forum that we need unprotected cells now. I ordered a couple Panasonic 2900mah Orbtronic protected cells based upon the specs still up on Thermovapes site-

Not to mention the battery that is offered with purchase is protected. Why isn't this up on Thermopvapes site? I can't return my batteries as I've had them sometime now. Well I'm expecting a couple free cells from Thermovape if this is the case. This is coming from someone who could care less about the latching switch as I'm a oil whore only

First off, howdy, welcome to the excitement.

I'm sorry you rushed out and bought 'better' batteries despite the cautions to the contrary. If these are the same ones I think they are, they will work OK but not as well in this use as the 'Factory Batteries' for the reasons we've been discussing. The protection circuits used will limit performance.

IMO you don't want protected batteries, you really want one or the other of the two units TV has approved. I don't think you're entitled to free stuff but if you insist of a protected battery I bet TV can send you one of the Beta test types they gave me that are protected but don't perform as well.....is that what you really want? They have at least 3 types (Blue, Red and Black) to pick from IIRC. All are protected, if that's the deal breaker.

OF

Jdubman420

First off, howdy, welcome to the excitement.

I'm sorry you rushed out and bought 'better' batteries despite the cautions to the contrary. If these are the same ones I think they are, they will work OK but not as well in this use as the 'Factory Batteries' for the reasons we've been discussing. The protection circuits used will limit performance.

IMO you don't want protected batteries, you really want one or the other of the two units TV has approved. I don't think you're entitled to free stuff but if you insist of a protected battery I bet TV can send you one of the Beta test types they gave me that are protected but don't perform as well.....is that what you really want? They have at least 3 types (Blue, Red and Black) to pick from IIRC. All are protected, if that's the deal breaker.

OF

First off, I have years and years of Lithium battery experience. I used to wire up my own 10cell RC helicopter batteries. Figuring out what one cell to order based on manufacturer recomended specs and offered batteries for sale isn't hard... I ordered the batteries based on specs that were giving to us on their site!There is no cautions anywhere on their site in regards to what I bought. I bought High quality japanese made cells with protection circuits wired in.... Just like what Thermovape recommends and sells for their Cera! I want to hear what you are saying from the horses mouth. Not some dude that shoves foil in their Cera. If we are suppose to use unprotected Lipo batteries why have they always said otherwise? Durka dur

battery_zps78ad347a.jpg

battery2_zpsa381f42e.jpg

Now please tell me how I rushed out and ordered the wrong ones again...:shrug:
Looks to me that Thermovape rushed out a product without thorough
battery testing if what you say is true OF. :clap:

Mod note: When possible, please avoid making back-to-back posts in a thread. Use the Edit feature located at the bottom of your posts. You've made 4 posts in a row. Also, your tone is starting to cross over the "be nice" line.

Jdubman420

You kidding me mod? Your site glitched out. I just saw the double post seconds after and you already corrected it. I went to correct it and it was already fixed. I made 3 posts in a row. One to address OF and 2 posted images. Deal with it.... Next time you want someone to fix their own accidental double post you might want to give them more than a couple minutes. As for anyone coming off not being nice it's OF with his response to myself and others. I can't imagine Thermovape appreciates his tone with their customers.
This dude shouldn't be speaking on behalf of their company. He is contradicting everything their site states

Mod note: Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision please take it up in private with a staff member.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
:) Jdubman420, I think you need to go back and read the rules you agreed to when signing up before posting any more. You can access them by clicking here.

And if you continue with this vein of posting and this attitude, you will find yourself with a warning point or two.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

Jdubman420

:) Jdubman420, I think you need to go back and read the rules you agreed to when signing up before posting any more. You can access them by clicking here.

And if you continue with this vein of posting and this attitude, you will find yourself with a warning point or two.

Sounds like certain people are allowed to say certain things here. If you are a newb you can't respond back to someone the way they themselves have been responding to others. Please quote what I said and the rule cause I'm not seeing it

Jdubman420,

Jdubman420

If you don’t like the rules or the moderation, feel free not to visit.
You kidding me mod? Your site glitched out. I just saw the double post seconds after and you already corrected it. I went to correct it and it was already fixed. I made 3 posts in a row. One to address OF and 2 posted images. Deal with it.... Next time you want someone to fix their own accidental double post you might want to give them more than a couple minutes. As for anyone coming off not being nice it's OF with his response to myself and others. I can't imagine Thermovape appreciates his tone with their customers.
This dude shouldn't be speaking on behalf of their company. He is contradicting everything their site states

Mod note: Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision please take it up in private with a staff member.

LOL! This site makes me laugh :lol:

Jdubman420,

Jdubman420

Not nice. If you don’t like the rules or the moderation, feel free not to visit.

ohhh noooo... fuck you guys
I'll deal with Thermovape direct. You fools can choke on my dick

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Did you see the mod note above that said to take this to a private conversation with a mod? Or is it that you just don't feel you have to abide by the rules here and can question a mod in public as much as you want? Since you are having trouble comprehending the mod notes, it does not surprise me at all that you cannot see what you are doing wrong with your posts.

And what exactly did OF say to offend you? Welcome to the forum? The advice he gave you about batteries?

You've made your point and illustrated it. And I've made mine.

Edit to add: I knew I recognized your style dear..... bye bye.....

Top Bottom