The Toasty Top

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Dang that Mahoe is a beaut! I can't believe I lived right around the corner from where that wood is harvested for years and never knew.. I could have stockpiled a nice collection of it if I had. Maybe next visit I'll load up a suitcase or five.. haha :brow:

underdog,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks mom and underdog. It is some amazing wood. I may have to get some more of it.

Got my new silicone tubing. It works great. Time to start cutting.

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
and distributing? :brow:

Absolutely. How many do you need? The apartment address? I will be sure to include a ring for your aroma cup.

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I have been wanting to make one of these for a while. It is a Toasty Tube made from an Ebony wood piano key. I bought a bunch a while back on ebay. They also work great for pen / pencils. A great way to recycle wood.

The wood is 3.25" long and 0.4" in diameter. It has a 15/64" hole down the center. It has the new silicone sleeve covering part of the roasting tube for a perfect air seal. The silicone o-rings are just for decoration and to hide the stainless steel connecting tube. The tip still threads off for easy screen maintenance. It has a better grip and won't burn you if you grab it immediately after use. The wood was heated and pure beeswax melted into it. The feel is so nice in your hand / fingers.

pianokeytoastytube.jpg

I sent out a few of the silicone roasting tube sleeves to some of you to try. Hope you like them as well as I do. Will be making more when I return from my trip next week. It would be nice to get some feedback before making too many more. I can make changes based on the feedback.

Alan,
Reactions: mvapes

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
What I love about this new roasting tube is, not only is it very attractive and functional, it is made from salvaged material. So cool. If you are making more, count me in for one Alan! ;)

momofthegoons,

PurpleDazed

How would you go about cleaning it? I usually soak my stems Glass and poly in iso alcohol 91% to extract the golden honey from them that builds up. How would the wood react to the alcohol?

PurpleDazed,

gvape

PurpleDazed said:
How would you go about cleaning it? I usually soak my stems Glass and poly in iso alcohol 91% to extract the golden honey from them that builds up. How would the wood react to the alcohol?

Nooooo alcohol for a wood stem. Just take a pipe cleaner and pull it through. Cleans really easy.
*EDIT*
Even though you cant extract the honey from the wood stems, they hit so smooth and are totally worth it.

Damn Alan! Gonna have to make that order a bit bigger now that you made that sleek looking wood stem. I wish I had a shop to work in... its got to be so much fun turning the wood and coming up with new ideas.

gvape,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Really nice tube Alan, you are doing some great stuff with your work, the recycled keys are the shit! I dig the accents of the Orings and the silicone for better connection is a great idea. I think you should do well with these also!

Ed's TnT,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks all. It is difficult for me to throw away even the smallest pieces of wood. You never know what you might be able to make. I love it when I can give them new life / purpose. A piano key that once made beautiful music can now provide beautiful medication. The wood tubes will season over time with whatever vapor has passed through them. Vapor will condense as oil and collect on the inside. I provide a special bamboo skewer tool for harvesting the honey from the wood tube. It has a chisel cut on one end for scraping the oil and a flat blade on the other end for removing the oil from the tube. The wood should not be immersed in alcohol for cleaning. Some alcohol on a pure cotton swab will be alright for cleaning the inside. A bit of the honey oil soaked cotton can be placed in the Toasty Tube roasting tip. The roasting temperature is not high enough to harm the cotton, but the oil vaporizes. The air flow is always very good if you don't pack the cotton in too tight. The efficiency of this style of vaporizer is just amazing. It is really tough to beat them on flavor too.

Alan,
Alan,

I was wondering if you could elaborate on which woods you have that are less dense? You said something about that orange _______ (drawing a blank). Where does that sit on the density scale?

biojuggernaut,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
bio, I believe osage orange is a real dense wood. I believe the density is around 50 as opposed to 37 for myrtle.

momofthegoons,
Mom can you please elaborate on what those numbers mean? I saw the wiki too has the numbers listed but I still can't make much sense of it all.

biojuggernaut,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
bio, I don't claim to be an expert on this. :lol: Hopefully, one of our wood guys will chime in here.

The only context I've ever really known about it is in a log vape. My understanding is that a higher density wood will be harder and run cooler in the standard, non insulated, log vape. A lower density wood will be a softer wood and run warmer and char more easily.

In stems, I would imagine that a harder wood would yield a sleeker wood, whereas, a softer wood would have a rougher and grainier feel. Heat would not be an issue (since there is no heatport encased by it).

momofthegoons,

gvape

Wow... a a nice unexpected present in the mail today. Thank You VERY MUCH for the contents. It will all be put to great use!

Ill post a picture of it all attached.. Gotta figure out what goes where... haha

gvape,
The copper aromatherapy cup. I wanted this bag of goodies today but mine didn't arrive =( =(

How does the stem perform with the new silicone.

biojuggernaut,

PurpleDazed

biojuggernaut said:
The copper aromatherapy cup. I wanted this bag of goodies today but mine didn't arrive =( =(

How does the stem perform with the new silicone.

OOO I wonder If I have one coming as well soon?

PurpleDazed,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
bio - The Osage Orange can be quite dense. I have yet to make one from it, but expect it would run a little cooler as the wood is more dense and better at conducting heat. I am going to try a Black Walnut TT next. I expect it to run a little hotter as the wood is not as dense and not as good at conducting heat.

mom - Thanks for the observations on the wood densities and temperatures. That is pretty much what I am seeing too. I will continue to test for temperature and density relationships.

gvape - You are very welcome. Hope they work well for you. The 1/4" silicone tubing goes on the 1/4" stainless tube for your glass tube. It replaces the shorter one if you would like to have all of the 1/4" stainless tubing covered. The 5/16" silicone tubing goes on the 5/16" stainless roasting tube.

PurpleDazed - Your package should be arriving soon. Would like to hear how you like them.

Alan,

gvape

Ohhhh yeah. 5/16' tubing on a tip works wonders. Perfectly vaped abv. Works much better than the red/orange rings because it doesnt slide. Ill post pictures soon :)

gvape,

havock69

biojuggernaut said:
i dont get why it doesn't fit in my top? :lol:

If you're ever in central pa let me know. I'd love to try your tt and for that matter the rest of your vapes.

havock69,
Top Bottom