The Toasty Top

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Damn thats a fine piece Alan, I really dig the way it turned out! Nice Job!

Ed's TnT,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I'm glad you like the Dark Cherry.

I also did one in White Oak. The grain is just stunning. Amazing chatoyance. It has a comparable temp to the Dark Cherry and Sugar Maple. Pure beeswax has been melted into the surface of the entire top by heating it up with a heat gun while slowly turning on the lathe. It draws the beeswax deep into the wood grain. The wood has been heated far hotter than it will see during operation. This is also a good check on the stability of the wood. If it is going to crack, the higher temperature will reveal any faults. This is how I treat the wood of all Toasty Tops. I don't want anyone to have a cracked Toasty Top.

whiteoaktoastytop.jpg

Alan,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Because I thought that, since my TT is the one on the website and initial post here, that no one would be interested in pics, I never posted any. But I've come to realize that this is a disservice to Alan and his work. I've taken a couple of pics at different angles than originally shown. So, in all it's glory, my Toasty Top :D

another angle:

and so that you can get a relationship of size "in hand":

Toastily yours,
mom

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks for posting the pictures mom. You got some very nice shots.
You are getting quite a collection of nice vaporizers.
Cool that the roasting tubes are interchangeable with the new Zap.

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I'm still drying the Blue Mahoe. It was quite wet. I think they intend for you to wait a few years to use the wood. I split the wood into two pieces for two tops. One half is getting the microwave treatment. The other half is getting the tupperware treatment. Hopefully, I can reduce the drying time without too much cracking and will be able to make a Blue Mahoe TT. I will definitely post some pictures if I'm successful.

I have discovered many different drying methods in my quest to dry this wood. One of the quicker methods is a vacuum kiln. Alcohol curing is another way to speed drying. Amazing what you can find online.

Alan,

gvape

Interesting.... So this is going to take some time. Damn. Well then maybe I should find some wood and get that over to you.

gvape,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
It is getting tougher and tougher to keep up with Rick and BoBo. I have to think harder and harder for new ideas. It is also getting better and better for our customers.

In keeping with my open source attitude, I have made another discovery that will benefit all log vape owners and manufacturers. I do have to give Underdog credit for giving me the inspiration. The air sealing aspects of the silicone tubing is very good, but I wasn't excited about having the herb in contact with the silicone. I'm not saying it is bad, just not my preference. I also remember hearing some people talking about how hot the stainless / brass roasting tips gets after removing from the heat sink.

So... I stretched some medical grade high temperature silicone tubing over the outside of my 5/16" roasting tip and left just a bit hanging over the end of the tip. It makes a perfect seal when you touch the end of the heat port / heat sink / heat exchanger. The silicone is not in the air stream. The first hit knocked my socks off. I thought "Wow! That Underdog is on to something". I also covered the 1/4" portion of my roasting tube. Now there are no exposed metal parts to get burned on. No more need to marshmallow roast. The tip still unscrews for screen maintenance.

It can be retrofit onto any new or existing TT, MZ, RZ, WZ, PD stem and used on all of the manufacturers units including Underdog. It basically makes everyone's stems compatible with each others units. The Underdog stem should already be universally compatible with all of the other manufacturers units.

I love being a part of this log vape revolution.

siliconetipglasstoastytube.jpg

Alan,

gvape

That picture is a bit hard to tell, but from what we were talking about earlier I think I get it.

Do you have the silicone on that tip right now?

gvape,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
gvape said:
That picture is a bit hard to tell, but from what we were talking about earlier I think I get it.

Do you have the silicone on that tip right now?

The stainless steel is completely encased in silicone. There are actually two pieces of silicone tubing. One on the 5/16" part and one on the 1/4" part. They seal together when you screw the tip on.

Alan,

gvape

You mean the brass is enclosed in the silicone...? That doesnt look like ss to me. I cant even see the silicone tubing in your picture.

gvape,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I am also confused. I can't figure out which part your mouth goes on....
One of the reasons I am not inclined towards an underdog vape is the silicone tubing being the mouthpiece. Doesn't float my boat. So, does the silicone, in this case, act as the bushing to adapt the stem tip of whichever vapor tube you are using to the vape's heat port?

momofthegoons,

gvape

I know from when I was talking to Alan earlier we were saying he took his SS tip and inserted it in to some tubing. Then we were talking more and I thought if we could still use the native mouthpieces we have, the plastic, wood, or glass, and could use the same silicone idea around the tip then the stems would fit in an vape. It wold just need the silicone to wrap around the heat port.

Im guessing that picture just doesnt show the silicone well and its over the tip of the stem.

gvape,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Sounds awesome and thanks for the props! Unburned is my favorite way to be too... :)

Maybe we can collaborate on a piece one of these days? I could make a special Underdog style wood blank and you could make into a TT or something. A project like that might be cool for some charity or something.. anyways just rambling, didn't mean to intrude or offend if that's the case! :peace:

underdog,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Here is the tip taken apart.

siliconetipglasstoastytubeapart.jpg

You can see how just a bit of silicone extends beyond the stainless steel tip. The tip is now too large to fit into the heat sink tube, but the silicone butts up to and seals against the heat sink tube.

You are always welcome to post here underdog. This is a great community and cool ideas just make it better. Let's continue to improve and give our customers the best we can.

Alan,
Alan could this Silicon ever come into contact with the heating element and not offgas? Just how high of a temp can this disposed to?

biojuggernaut,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
Alan could this Silicon ever come into contact with the heating element and not offgas? Just how high of a temp can this disposed to?

There is no chance of it contacting the heater since it won't fit in the tube. The silicone is good to about 500F. The nice thing is that it only sees the high temp when you are taking a hit. It is only being exposed to a maximum of around 400F for a brief time. The herb / vapor only contacts stainless steel / glass as it is roasted.

momofthegoons said:
So, does the silicone, in this case, act as the bushing to adapt the stem tip of whichever vapor tube you are using to the vape's heat port?

It is more of an outer seal mom. The silicone should seal to any log vape heat port tube.

Alan,

gvape

Much better picture. Thats pretty much what I had in mind too. Cant wait to do some testing!

gvape,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Alan, you bring so much to this forum. Thank you for finding a solution to a potential problem for many of us log vape owners. I, for one, have several stems that will no longer fit properly in my RZ. This is a perfect, inexpensive solution.

The question now becomes, where does one find this type of silicone tubing?

momofthegoons,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
You are welcome mom. I enjoy finding simple solutions. Especially when so many people can benefit.

There are a few sources for silicone tubing. The real trick is cutting it cleanly and getting the length correct.
Looks like I need to order some more silicone tubing now.

Alan,
Top Bottom