Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Thanks man I was trying to explain the user preference with this thing and you had much better words. And priming with this thing is so huge.. Like I combusted so fucking fast last night and it was because I got a bit greedy and primed for like not even an extra second. That shit really surprised me and proved that my unit is not cold lol.

Yes, there is definitely some technique involved, as I think all seasoned vapers assumed long before getting one because it is "unregulated". More accurately, regulated by button control and draw. Is going to take a little practice to get that down - and even more practice to get it to how any individual likes it. I really enjoy this, though! I like being able to tailor my hits this way or that so quickly, easily and nearly effortlessly. Kind of makes me wonder how this will compare to my hopefully soon to arrive Zion. Have a feeling I'll like the Zi a bit better with temp control, but I can see myself unconsciously reaching for the button to quickly kick it up a notch from time to time.

As with any vape, time of heat/amount of heat on the load is going to have a noticeable affect. So is what you're putting in it and how you load. And, as with most convection vapes (maybe all?) hitting it will heat up the load and the glass around it while drying out the load a little more. All things which will have some effect on the next hit if taken before things cool down. Drying of the load having an effect even if you don't hit it again for a day or two.

Add to that the fact that I'm sure many did the same as I did for the first couple days. I knew I had to let it pre-heat, and even counted down seconds on that first load of the day. But, you need less button pre-heating for subsequent hits on the same load. Then, you re-load and everything is cooled off again. But, damned if it didn't take me at least a few sessions to remember to prime the heat more on the first hit of the load on second and later loads! I've got it now, but the first thing that pops into your mind is "hey, what's going on with this heater. It's not hot enough!"

AJS

Calm Consistency
I bet a lower temp cam be maintained with strategic trigger modulation... Gets at my saying Milaana is like a pipe while GH is indeed like a vape pen:razz:
Do you mean like, holding for and letting off for a predetermined set period of time through previous experiences and calculations? Similar to the vapman and counting?

I can just feel the colder vapor coming in and let off the throttle. If it's early in the sesh, the throttle only needs to be dropped for half a second or so. Once the heater is hot I can let off for multiple seconds and it'll keep producing.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes, there is definitely some technique involved, as I think all seasoned vapers assumed long before getting one because it is "unregulated". More accurately, regulated by button control and draw. Is going to take a little practice to get that down - and even more practice to get it to how any individual likes it. I really enjoy this, though! I like being able to tailor my hits this way or that so quickly, easily and nearly effortlessly. Kind of makes me wonder how this will compare to my hopefully soon to arrive Zion. Have a feeling I'll like the Zi a bit better with temp control, but I can see myself unconsciously reaching for the button to quickly kick it up a notch from time to time.

As with any vape, time of heat/amount of heat on the load is going to have a noticeable affect. So is what you're putting in it and how you load. And, as with most convection vapes (maybe all?) hitting it will heat up the load and the glass around it while drying out the load a little more. All things which will have some effect on the next hit if taken before things cool down. Drying of the load having an effect even if you don't hit it again for a day or two.

Add to that the fact that I'm sure many did the same as I did for the first couple days. I knew I had to let it pre-heat, and even counted down seconds on that first load of the day. But, you need less button pre-heating for subsequent hits on the same load. Then, you re-load and everything is cooled off again. But, damned if it didn't take me at least a few sessions to remember to prime the heat more on the first hit of the load on second and later loads! I've got it now, but the first thing that pops into your mind is "hey, what's going on with this heater. It's not hot enough!"

Do you mean like, holding for and letting off for a predetermined set period of time through previous experiences and calculations? Similar to the vapman and counting?

I can just feel the colder vapor coming in and let off the throttle. If it's early in the sesh, the throttle only needs to be dropped for half a second or so. Once the heater is hot I can let off for multiple seconds and it'll keep producing.

Yeah Zion is more like GH with that dial to set a limit so you can really milk a bowl on a low temp for a while... With Milaana it must be how long you hold the button along with battery level, the way it heat soaks though there is a natural temp step when sessioned too. Here and in Zion the way you draw is another big factor too, GH tries to make that more automatic with a fast draw needed for the sensor making things a bit more consistent overall perhaps. Milaana is a lot more dependent on the user, which could be a pro and a con depending on that user I suppose

Oogendoogan

I personally love the user preference! I can see how some people would prefer and easy mode vape and I guess that with this tech that's where the Zion comes in. For me this thing is great and I end up getting the effects and extraction I want no matter what the hits end up being like. But I am perfecting a method for milking a water piece and it really shines in this area. If I was in to lower temp vaping I would really be mad about not even having a Zion on order but because even with my nano or SSV I always go for the higher end, lvl 7 on nano at least, 3 o'clock on my surfer, this thing really produces higher temp vapor without much messing with the button. Prime to needed level depending on load size, grind, etc. and pull slow to start. You should be getting milky hits with this method and the only problem I would see would be if you wanted a lower temperature hit, which would include less priming and some feathering of the button. I guess different folks different stokes, especially when it comes to amazing high end vapes. I personally think I've found a great tool for me because of the milaanas ability to give me on demand in control, milky high temp hits that I truely enjoy. On my phone so can't do the two cents symbol lol. I think that this is about all I'm ever gonna have to say about evaluating this thing lol. I am in love and I hope my reviews and and opinions have helped others a bit if any. I will continue to enjoy my Mi and happily contribute and try to help others dial theirs in. No more reviewing this thing for me ;) just apprceation now :)

image.jpg

I just use the silicone o-rings from my old, busted DT donut to make an adapter out of my MP du jour. I may have had bad luck trying to buy m2m adapters online, but this works fine.

@Vape Dr. , @nondarb and anyone else that mentioned guitar pick mod, hats off! I was going to get a washer to accommodate my larger batteries, but I'll try the guitar pick as well and see what works best for me.

Last edited:

Oogendoogan

image.jpg

I just use the silicone o-rings from my old, busted DT donut to make an adapter out of my MP du jour. I may have had bad luck trying to buy m2m adapters online, but this works fine.
I use the silicone from an E Nano gong. Works great. Thought id tell you in case you ever wanna do more like this in the future. Also thank you for a new solution. Credit to @Vape Dr. for the silicone mod! :)

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
The more I use this vape, I become more fond of it. I love the ease of going 0-60 or anywhere in between very quickly, even within the same hit. I actually find the Milaana forces me to temp step as it heats up.

I have a couple of questions about the battery and compartment.

1) How safe is the guitar pick mod to allow the Milaana to be just tossed in one's pocket with the battery in. I have put the guitar pick on but I haven't really taken my Milaana out much since doing it. If the pick is in and sturdy, can I just put the Milaana in my pocket or bag and put two stems in my case? I am still learning about 18650s so I am trying to err on the side of safety.

2) I don't know much about these things, so this might seem like a silly question. How safe is it to put something on the side of the lid of the battery compartment? My female joint is thoroughly not recessed and the lid sometimes knocks against it. I was thinking if I was able to put a little tape on the side of the lid, it would reduce the impact when this does happen. Would it cause a problem to do so? Any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

Thanks!

Oogendoogan

Anyone get male to males from OGB yet? I asked for us joint and for a very fat adapters, like I asked him to make them fit a joint as snug as possible. Hopefully this will get me some that the screens will fit in because I can't get them to fit in any of the us jointed male to males I previously owned.. I am waiting on the male to female adapters that were suggested, sorry i forget who did that..? But I hope those work too. I will report when i recieve :) they are from a site called shopxhale.com
Cheers!

Oogendoogan,

Mulehead

Hopefully this will get me some that the screens will fit

Unfortunately this is going to be an ongoing problem, as the glass joints vary so much.
The screens are the consistent part.
We're just gonna have to get better at our basket manipulation! :nod:
I'm looking forward to Ratchetts basket press to help put an end to this problem.
IMO a slightly lighter gauge screen/basket will be easier to fine tune for each stem.
Should make for some fun testing anyway!
Trying different gauges, different diameter screens for small or large baskets.

I love the ease of going 0-60 or anywhere in between very quickly

Zion's even quicker!:brow:

The guitar pick mod works great in my pocket.

Last edited:

little maggie

Anyone get male to males from OGB yet? I asked for us joint and for a very fat adapters, like I asked him to make them fit a joint as snug as possible. Hopefully this will get me some that the screens will fit in because I can't get them to fit in any of the us jointed male to males I previously owned.. I am waiting on the male to female adapters that were suggested, sorry i forget who did that..? But I hope those work too. I will report when i recieve :) they are from a site called shopxhale.com
Cheers!
Or you could try the adaptors from shopexhale. They come with a screen and I just use one end in the Milaana and the female with the bubbler. No stems needed and less than $2 each.

Oogendoogan

Or you could try the adaptors from shopexhale. They come with a screen and I just use one end in the Milaana and the female with the bubbler. No stems needed and less than $2 each.
Ordered 3 :) they're actually here I forgot to go get them from the office today.. I'll report tomorrow on how they work. The screen in them is nice.. But I still would want a smaller bowl size..? We will see how it work.. I was kinda planning on putting some hemp fiber under a normal RBT screen resting on the one in the adapter.. Soak up that oil. But if it's easy to just pack on there that would be cool too.

TheRobbo

Ok ok ok
I know you were all wondering were I had dissappeared to.

29daOya.jpg

Getting creative
uEtUbbB.jpg

Milaana helping with the chores

And for all you video lovers here a nice demonstration of high temp cloudage.

Got to say I fucking love this thing guys its so fun to use and even look at. I cant be the only one who keeps catching themselves just turning thier Mi over and over carresing its curves :love:
I have been experrimenting with screen orientation and depth and can say I cant really tell much of a difference between dome vs basket. I think I prefer a shallow bowl so Its over in only a few hits, any more and I'm way more stoned than I planned for though if I was handing around a few mates I might think about making it deeper just so as to not have to refill all the time, but not sure about this as could end up more likely to combust due to being dryer for longer.
Any one thinking they have a cool unit try grinding quite fine and tamp meduim firm with minimum gap between the end of stem and load. 5 sec heat from cold and really slow draw until you feel warmth then speed up draw a little till you feel the resistance of the load pack, keep at that speed for as long as you can maybe start to feather the button then off button to finish. If that doesn't get results then your maybe right about running cool.
I really feel the pack tighness has alot to do with the hit. Almost like you need the resistance to create a preasure difference between above and below the load to aid in transfer of heat? Although people have reported getting similar results with zero tamp... horses for courses alright.
One last thing I love the fact that everyones is slightly different/unique on the outside. I feel I could pick mine out of a line up already :tup:

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Hi guys,

Mi arrived today - charging batts now.
I found out that the Arizer Air/Solo dome screens fit perfectly in the stems. They're a little smaller - great for less material:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Arizer-S...898050?hash=item2ee81fdd82:g:9hgAAOxyyUtSbtzv
or for UK buyers:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-Ariz...inless-steel-screen-12mm-by-6mm-/282039072997

My unit has a pretty un-flush button.. asked RBT, if I can somehow fix that. It won't deny function but it doesn't look very sexy... The stock joints fit nicely, no wobbling -
but another little bummer: ordered a long US joint from @Oregonglassblower after @cybrguy 's recommendation - originally for the Zion back then- and now I unwrapped it for the first time and had to see that it does NOT fit in the Mi.. it's slightly too long and would rest on the heater screen, thus has to be ISO size. I ordered explicitly a US fit and Mike confirmed.. Well, wrote him an email. Hope we can work something out.

Have to be patient anyway-- too much to do with my head plus moving...

Cheers! :)
:peace:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
For me draw technique is the biggest regulator, as much as, if not more than, button depression. Heat soaking the chamber on the first hit, allowing all that 45 watts to liberate the load of it glorious contents. Subsequent hits need much less preheat, and a s l o w draw, controlling vaporization with level of pull.
My experience anyway...

little maggie

I love how you guys are experimenting with different variables to find your perfect technique. Fortunately, it also works for those of us who are less precise. I think I'd read some of this thread before ordering I would think it was too complicated for me and skip the Milaana.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
The Milaana is like an instrument, you have to learn to play it. It's not really difficult. I think most users should be able to find something that works without too much practice and experimentation. The variables are:
button time (which is influenced by heater state and battery state), load state, screen position, and draw rate. It would be best not to change more than one of these at a time, but that's not possible because both the battery and load are constantly changing. That means every hit is different and you have to learn to sense the vapour. If you pay attention to that, you'll soon learn when to let off the button and how hard to draw.

I think the variations possible with the Milaana far exceed the possible heater differences. I don't think anyone can judge without having side by side units, with the same materials and battery states. The load size and position alone will make units seem much hotter or cooler. A tight pack and a hard draw will reach combustion if you keep your finger on the button, and the more restricted draw will reduce your ability to detect when it is about to happen. A loose small load can be overwhelmed with a hard draw and produce little to no vapour. Just because the airflow is so open does not mean you should hoover on it, although there are load and screen position setups that will let you do that too.

The most similar device in this regard is the MFLB. If you read the early posts, that thread is full of comments arguing whether there were hot and cold devices. Ultimately, what it came down to was that technique and materials had much more to do with success than whether the Box ran hot or cold. That's not to say that variation in the MFLB or the Milaana doesn't exist. I have no doubt there is some variation, but my point is that it is not an important variable.

Oogendoogan

Ok ok ok
I know you were all wondering were I had dissappeared to.

29daOya.jpg

Getting creative
uEtUbbB.jpg

Milaana helping with the chores

And for all you video lovers here a nice demonstration of high temp cloudage.

Got to say I fucking love this thing guys its so fun to use and even look at. I cant be the only one who keeps catching themselves just turning thier Mi over and over carresing its curves :love:
I have been experrimenting with screen orientation and depth and can say I cant really tell much of a difference between dome vs basket. I think I prefer a shallow bowl so Its over in only a few hits, any more and I'm way more stoned than I planned for though if I was handing around a few mates I might think about making it deeper just so as to not have to refill all the time, but not sure about this as could end up more likely to combust due to being dryer for longer.
Any one thinking they have a cool unit try grinding quite fine and tamp meduim firm with minimum gap between the end of stem and load. 5 sec heat from cold and really slow draw until you feel warmth then speed up draw a little till you feel the resistance of the load pack, keep at that speed for as long as you can maybe start to feather the button then off button to finish. If that doesn't get results then your maybe right about running cool.
I really feel the pack tighness has alot to do with the hit. Almost like you need the resistance to create a preasure difference between above and below the load to aid in transfer of heat? Although people have reported getting similar results with zero tamp... horses for courses alright.
One last thing I love the fact that everyones is slightly different/unique on the outside. I feel I could pick mine out of a line up already :tup:
Great video! I do basically the same thing when I use it dry. Bit bigger bowl and no feathering really when I use a water pipe, but you essentially just showed exactly how I use my unit, I love high temps :) maybe a bit of a longer button hold down in the beginning for you, would be afraid to combust haha, but i probably pull slower when things get going so that's most likely the reason for the same results. I feel like pull speed is the biggest thing for me with this thing which I love, reminds me of how with a SSV and a whip you can get the same hit at 12 or at 3 just depends on the pull;)

buckhakeesah

I tend hit mine upside down now or somewhat what at an upside angle so that the material doesn't fall into the heater screen on non-tamped loads. Similar to how I use my enano when dry. A bit awkward positioning, but it helps me get a better extraction (less stirring needed), since as you see in the video above you do get hot spots on this vape in one area more than others. It may be due to a tight pack as pakolo mentioned above. I prefer this method when I don't tamp down and go for temp stepping hits so I get the full low flavors before ripping it. thanks for sharing your experiences guys. That's what's great about this vape, you can really dial in to how you really want this one to work for you. Just gotta take some time to learn it.

Oh yea dropped it today on the bathroom floor, thought i had broke the glass portion of it. No damage at all. Got lucky this time!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic

Yeah I tried to express that several times already. I'm getting little to no vapor when the load is too loose and/or when the bowl screen is not fully covered. There needs to be a local vaccuum to extract well otherwise hot air just flows around the plant bits and has no time to exchange heat (unless you pre-heat more to compensate)

It might sound weird but I even prefer when the screen is a bit gunked as it creates the right amount of restriction for me. When I switch to a clean screen I always have to remember to draw slightly slower than what the device offers.

I always tamp much harder than expected for a convection vape and to even the possible hot spots I rotate the stem often. YMMV of course...

anasrzi

Still on the lookout for a good quality case to pack away my Milaana when not in use, stumbled across these vapecases on eBay does has anyone tried fitting there Milaana in one of those. Seems to have a few variations for them depending on your chosen vaporizer.

Thinking a mighty case or arizer solo case might surface to store the mi tightly and safely from bumps and scraps. There's lots of cases but which one to pick? I'm In the uk so buying one in from the states it must fit as I can't be doing with sending it back if it's not quite right.

OyVape

I'm using a zip up case from an old power bank. I line up the non-button side of it with the edge of the case, leaving just enough space on the button side to wedge in an extra battery above the button. This prevents the button from touching the inside of the case so it doesn't accidentally engage.

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
Still on the lookout for a good quality case to pack away my Milaana when not in use, stumbled across these vapecases on eBay does has anyone tried fitting there Milaana in one of those. Seems to have a few variations for them depending on your chosen vaporizer.
I might suggest a Pelican 1040 (solid lid, not transparent, with transparent you'll need additional padding). You would need to add some padding to stop accidental button press but I'm sure you could find something stable. It easily fits a plastic 2x battery case too.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Hello Milaana people!:peace:

I knew, I would say so, but finally I can actually do that: I'm in love with Milaana!:love:
Just had my first tiny micro session.. Wonderful!
It's really so easy to get to know and play with the variables. Manual for the win! (I know, I know, Zions yet to come ;) )

Don't wanna talk stuff you peeps already know ... I'm joining this party late, but now I'm here pulling my pants off and showing you pics:cool::brow: ... Of Milaana of course! :D

Here's the result.. It was almost nothing. Arizer solo/air sized dome screen basket style
XjH459N.jpg

Thanks @Vape Dr. ! This is my revision. 0.81mm thick pic roughly cut to assure stem lock and park position in a discrete way (nope, color is not that unobtrusive:p)
JeQWTNE.jpg

Here you can see how it locks. It presses against the battery with the round shaped cutout, bends a little and locks the stem. You could make it prettier and better of course.
BTW Took a crafty CU screen - those are easy to bend, kinda coarse mesh - and did my intake mod... More leaning towards the final design, at least here I could make up ;)
H3JSDOc.jpg

My sexy beast has jug ears... Wait.. It's only one! ;)
Kind of a rough cut at the bottom. You can see her crack..:o. Can anyone tell, if this could be part of the vapor path if not sealed correctly with glue? I think I could suck air thru that crack...but if this compartment is not connected to the regular intake, I would not bother.
TZXygJW.jpg

Another perspective :ninja:
JIxslrd.jpg

This is what I see when I look down... Or am I shifting perspectives due to Milaanas work? :ko:
5v6lWw2.jpg

That's it for the moment. Fucking glad I'm finally here!! Backup is on the list.

Enjoy!

EDIT: do mean to critize the imperfections.. I always wanted a unit built from the evil genius himself. I got one of those early ones. That's what I wanted. Getting her beautiful final twin sister later :)

Edit edit: 2nd micro bowl in, 2nd hit - next stop: flavor town!!! Choo choo..

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I love how you guys are experimenting with different variables to find your perfect technique. Fortunately, it also works for those of us who are less precise. I think I'd read some of this thread before ordering I would think it was too complicated for me and skip the Milaana.

Yes exactly, the key is it works so many different ways, such versatility for almost any user to find something that works well for them. I too have a lot variation in how I draw, yet never really have getting great hits even so.

I tend hit mine upside down now or somewhat what at an upside angle so that the material doesn't fall into the heater screen on non-tamped loads. Similar to how I use my enano when dry. A bit awkward positioning, but it helps me get a better extraction (less stirring needed), since as you see in the video above you do get hot spots on this vape in one area more than others. It may be due to a tight pack as pakolo mentioned above. I prefer this method when I don't tamp down and go for temp stepping hits so I get the full low flavors before ripping it. thanks for sharing your experiences guys. That's what's great about this vape, you can really dial in to how you really want this one to work for you. Just gotta take some time to learn it.

Oh yea dropped it today on the bathroom floor, thought i had broke the glass portion of it. No damage at all. Got lucky this time!

Yeah I do that upside down hit for the start of my first, but once heat passes through it it naturally tamps so then I am free to hold it any which way, I can even carry the stem loose without a cap and the load never moves. Natural heat tamp

Hello Milaana people!:peace:

I knew, I would say so, but finally I can actually do that: I'm in love with Milaana!:love:
Just had my first tiny micro session.. Wonderful!
It's really so easy to get to know and play with the variables. Manual for the win! (I know, I know, Zions yet to come ;) )

Don't wanna talk stuff you peeps already know ... I'm joining this party late, but now I'm here pulling my pants off and showing you pics:cool::brow: ... Of Milaana of course! :D

Here's the result.. It was almost nothing. Arizer solo/air sized dome screen basket style
XjH459N.jpg

Thanks @Vape Dr. ! This is my revision. 0.81mm thick pic roughly cut to assure stem lock and park position in a discrete way (nope, color is not that unobtrusive:p)
JeQWTNE.jpg

Here you can see how it locks. It presses against the battery with the round shaped cutout, bends a little and locks the stem. You could make it prettier and better of course.
BTW Took a crafty CU screen - those are easy to bend, kinda coarse mesh - and did my intake mod... More leaning towards the final design, at least here I could make up ;)
H3JSDOc.jpg

My sexy beast has jug ears... Wait.. It's only one! ;)
Kind of a rough cut at the bottom. You can see her crack..:o. Can anyone tell, if this could be part of the vapor path if not sealed correctly with glue? I think I could suck air thru that crack...but if this compartment is not connected to the regular intake, I would not bother.
TZXygJW.jpg

Another perspective :ninja:
JIxslrd.jpg

This is what I see when I look down... Or am I shifting perspectives due to Milaanas work? :ko:
5v6lWw2.jpg

That's it for the moment. Fucking glad I'm finally here!! Backup is on the list.

Enjoy!

EDIT: do mean to critize the imperfections.. I always wanted a unit built from the evil genius himself. I got one of those early ones. That's what I wanted. Getting her beautiful final twin sister later :)

Edit edit: 2nd micro bowl in, 2nd hit - next stop: flavor town!!! Choo choo..

Finally man! It sucks that you got a fit and finish issue but it is isolated from the airpath so function seems all good at least. Nice use of the mods btw, I'd say you could fill warranty form to see about fixing button, but I am sure you won't want to wait without again like that... maybe once you have Zion or a second Milaana...?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom