vapedude

Justin Lee
Hey everyone - totally new to this site but I was on the chat earlier and everyone was really nice so I wanted to throw my 2 cents in for anyone (like me) that just started using the forum and skips right to the last page.. :p

I used to be a bong smoker so I definitely vape at higher temps so I can see some clouds (I've been conditioned, I think). I had trouble at first but what really did it is the 4 second battery hold and taking these "sips" if you will out of the glass mouth piece. You'll see some clouds come out of the thing and I just keep taking these sips until my lungs are full. As always, keep it in for as long as you can, and you should get some nice vapors out of this guy on the exhale.

Would I recommend this guy? For the price, probably, yeah. But are there better vapes out there? No question. I have the ExtremeQ and it's a Godsend. Are there better portable vapes out there? I own this and the Vapor Blunt and I love the VB, but it's double the price. Totally up to you but IMO springing for an expensive vape will be one of the best investments you've ever made - it's in yourself and your health!

EDIT: I just read this dude's post about pyronym's technique above mine and I'm gonna definitely try that after work today :p

vapedude,

violentz313

Hi everyone my names Zak and I'm new to this forum and to the mflb. Ill try to explain my issues as non confusing as possible in the hopes i can figure this problem out.

First just so everyone knows my problem is not related to this being my first time vaporizing or not being able to get the box to hit like most i read my problem is about the hit itself. Now for some background info, i am by no means a noob smoker or vaporizer lol i have been smoking herb since i was 13 (now 27) and have been vaporizing out of a vapebrothers box since 2008. Well about 6 months ago i was able to on my first attempt quit smoking nasty ass cigarettes yay!! and now my attitude toward smoking herb has also changed after reading about butane exhaust and flint dust etc..(YUCK BTW) So knowing these new things i wanted to switch to vaporizing exclusively but knew that my vaporbrothers wouldn't cut it. The 10 min warmup makes it kinda inconvenient to use but had never noticed when i had bowls as backup while waiting for it to warm up. Point being i needed something much quicker as I'm a self admitted impatient person lol enter Magic Flight Launch Box.

So long story short about 2 weeks ago i emptied and cleaned by glass pieces out and put them in a closet leaving combustion behind me for good. I then immediately headed to my local head shop knowing they had mflb in stock and after tons of net research i knew mflb was the one for me. Now after being over charged Imo ($135 something) I was excited to get back home and try it. Unfortunately here is where my problems started.

This may sound weird and like i said i have smoked for a long time and out of many vaporizers before but for some reason my mflb is the harshest device I've ever smoked out of. I'm hoping its something wrong with the box and its not supposed to be that way but I'm not sure even my friends who vape say it doesn't seem right. Tiny hit or big hit you get a horrible tickle in your throat that feels like u just cant cough it up making it less then enjoyable at the moment. Thinking at first it was something wrong with me (maybe sick or something) I pulled the glass pieces back out and I'm having no issues smoking them. Also went back to vaporbrothers to be sure and that was fine as well. When i try the flight box though its just coughing and coughing. This leads me to believe that something is wrong with my mflb so in closing has anyone experienced similar and is there any way to stop this? I really wanna use my launch box but not if makes me feel like i might as well be smoking cigarettes again with all the coughing. Please help me i love vaporizing and want to continue like the site says FUCK COMBUSTION lol . I look forward to any help i can receive from you guys thanks in advance.

violentz313,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
@violentz313, the MFLB representative on FC had actually just provided an explanation to the issue you are having a few pages ago on this thread. i would give this a read and see if it helps. many new MFLB had experienced the same issue you are, including myself, and have found that this will go away after a month or two of use.

magicflight said:
lwien said:
With the LB ... I cough.

Hi Iwien,

In an effort to understand this better, I can provide some info based on our observations which may be helpful. The three variables that seem to be the most important in this respect are 1) the vapor path length, 2) flow organization, and 3) the vapor constitution. Any one of these or a combination could be accounting for the cough.

By design, the Launch Box has a very short vapor channel -- to my knowledge it is shortest for any vaporizer on the market. A large part of that is to ensure that there is minimum vapor condensation within the device itself. This has both the effect of requiring less device cleaning and also to ensure as much additional bio-availability as possible. Our own research has shown that most of the cooling and condensation happens within the first 3 inches of the vapor path (more than 85%, with nearly all channel materials). Therefore, when using the device native, it is possible that some of the condensation of the extracted vapors (which will occur regardless) is causing the irritation. This effect can be most easily corrected by using with a stem or whip -- which brings us to the 2nd variable: the organization of the vapor flow.

With both the Stem and the Whip, at the emission side, the vapor is constrained to follow a narrow smooth bore channel usually about 1/8 of an inch diameter and at least 1.5 inches long. Given these proportions and the slower draw rates associated with the Box, there is often a condition obtained called "laminar flow" within the stem channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminar_flow). The result is that a fairly well organized column of vapor emits from the stem and goes directly to the back of the throat. As this is an otherwise a rather uncommon situation biologically, the arrival of a fairly tight vapor stream in such a fairly sensitive area can also likely cause irritation and coughing. This effect can be corrected by either 1) raising the tongue to block the vapor stream in front of the stem when drawing, or 2) using a water-pipe adapter (with or without water, it has the effect of significantly widening the stream, reducing its organization).

My initial suggestion would be to try using the box with the whip attachment (or stem) and the tongue raised to dis-organize the vapor stream. If that corrects the issue (no more coughing) then we have learned something. However, if that does not correct the issue, then it could very well be the last variable which is important: the vapor constitution.

Unlike nearly all other vaporizers, the temperature of the working surfaces of the Launch Box can (and do) change *very* rapidly. The temperature inside the Box is particularly sensitive to the timing and draw rate. For example, the difference between waiting three seconds and waiting four seconds from the moment the battery is applied to the moment of first draw can easily be 80F. Similarly, the difference between drawing slowly and drawing more quickly can also make a 80F temp difference in the working parts of the Box. As such, in normal operation, the Box is going to pass over a much wider range of temperatures much more quickly than nearly any other vaporizer. Depending on your personal preferences and/or application, this is either advantageous or disadvantageous.

As you may already know, various distinct volatile components will be released in vapor form at various temperatures. Since most vaporizers have a much simpler heating cycle -- warming up gradually to some fixed temperature and then also cooling slowly, they also have a simpler and more predictable vapor constituency: the more volatile components will be released first (water, then the aromatics, and then the more energetic parts) and less volatile components later (the more sedative aspects may be released, if at all, depending on the unit set-point). However, with the Box, since it passes over a much wider range of temperatures much more quickly, the vapor constituency will be *much* more evenly mixed between less volatile components and more volatile components. The span of temperatures crossed within a single use event of the Box (one draw) is going to be very much wider and therefore the mix of what ingredients are present in the overall resulting vapor are going to be much more a function of the herb used and the specific draw technique than due to the vaporizer itself.

In some respects, having a wider temperature swing is advantageous in that it allows for a fuller sense of the actual constitution of the herb to be experienced -- it is more "truthful". There is less distortion of the taste due to some components being released at a different time than other components -- for sampling/evaluating multiple strains in one session, this would be preferred, for example. However, if only one vapor type is desired -- as for much more strict medical purposes -- then the ability to separate components may be needed. While lab gear is normally required for this, specific component separation is much more likely with a conventional desktop unit than with the Box.

If your cough is due to the presence of some of the vapor components you might not otherwise be experiencing with other vaporizers, then we would expect that it would persist even when using the draw stem with the raised tongue suggested above. In that case, the answer may be change the usage technique so as to narrow the temperature swing within the Box. In this respect, I would recommend not waiting as long from the time the battery is applied to the time the draw begins (two seconds max). I would also suggest a /slightly/ faster, lips fully coupled and continuous draw technique, rather than a slower, not quite lips sealed, or pulsed draw technique ("micro-hitting"). While the latter technique will provide "thicker" results, it is also much more likely to result in coughing -- regardless of whether there is a combustion event or not. The power supply (PA unit) set to one of the lower settings can be a great help in this respect.

Please report back and let me know if any of the above suggestions is helpful to diagnosing the cough.

-- Magic-Flight

HighlyEducatedScholar,

OF

violentz313 said:
I really wanna use my launch box but not if makes me feel like i might as well be smoking cigarettes again with all the coughing. Please help me i love vaporizing and want to continue like the site says FUCK COMBUSTION lol . I look forward to any help i can receive from you guys thanks in advance.

Hang in there, they really do work. I think the chance of a defective unit causing this is too remote to act on, surely not yet.

My money's on too hot. This is more possible when new, the unit tends to cool off some on it's own it seems. For your part, pull faster and harder. You should be able to do so so much that you can't get any vapor at all, especially with weaker batteries. Most folks fight the other way (try to pull too fast, won't get hot enough).

Could be herb related too, I've tried some strains that didn't vape at all well for whatever reason. Kind of scary, really when you consider combustion covers that up.

Be sure you grind real fine. Real fine. Chunks touch in only a few small points, therefore get very hot at that little point rather that properly heat more material.

Guys with a lot less going for them than you are using these guys right now......they work if you use 'em right.

Good luck.

OF

OF,

Cannanas

He have much smoke (because is the night in my house and i have just a lamp ?) but my vapo work very good now ! haha.

The methode for me: Press just when i look the vapor in the tube, and no after 3-4s. And put much weed inside and no just the cube (sorry for my english i'm french and high). And grind very very very much the weed (this time i have grind 3/4x ! very fine).

And i have smoke but its good.

Thanks !

Cannanas,

Vitolo

Vaporist
HOORAY!! :)
Another Happy Customer!!!

:mflb:
Cartoon_plane_moves_2.gif

Take Flight

Vitolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Cannanas said:
He have much smoke (because is the night in my house and i have just a lamp ?) but my vapo work very good now ! haha.

The methode for me: Press just when i look the vapor in the tube, and no after 3-4s. And put much weed inside and no just the cube (sorry for my english i'm french and high). And grind very very very much the weed (this time i have grind 3/4x ! very fine).

And i have smoke but its good.

Thanks !

This makes my day, so merci to you, Cannanas. I just get a warm feeling from knowing that we got you straightened out.

pakalolo,

lwien

Cannanas said:
(..... i'm french and high).

Uh oh..... :cool:

;)

Fact is, Cannaas, your English is as good if not better than some who were born and raised in the USA.

lwien,
hi all. this is my first post on your forum. i appreciate your knowledge and how
serious you are about vaping and not combusting.
i ordered a mflb and am currently waiting on it in the mail. but now i worry i just
blew $120. i bought this over the VG because of the steep learning curve on the
VG and it just seems easier to combust. but after reading the posts by cannanas,
i am really unsure of my purchase. and the dude on the youtube video seems to be
blowing smoke and not vapor.
someone please alleviate my fears or confirm them. in which case i will not open the
box and send back for refund and go another route.
i researched forever on this thing but i never went to the end of this thread till after
i ordered.

sorry my first post is a concern. hope that isn't rude.

thanks for reading..

nicholsb420,

OF

pakalolo said:
This makes my day, so merci to you, Cannanas. I just get a warm feeling from knowing that we got you straightened out.

Absolutely. Another brother saved. Shades of 'teaching a man to fish'!

Now, to steal yet another overworked saying, 'each one, teach one'. I say it's time for Cannanas to find a friend and teach him???

Anyway, well done gents.

OF
nicholsb420 said:
someone please alleviate my fears or confirm them.

sorry my first post is a concern. hope that isn't rude.

Hey, not to worry. If you glance back our new found French friend is not only happy, but very happy. Well on his way down the road of excess toward the palace of True Enlightenment.

Check out the advice we gave him and the compiled stuff in the Wiki site, Pakalolo has done us all proud with his efforts there.

Grind good herb very very fine. Fill the trench to the shoulders (about 1/8 gram), hold the battery in (check for the light) and watch the vapors build up either against the clear cover or through the output hole then suck them out before waiting a bit for more. Should get you started.

These units are great. Many of us have several. I have 3 (one walnut) and have provided them to two other guys. They have limitations, of course, but there's a HUGE following of demanding owners.

Look at the volume of this thread. Folks don't take very long discussing trash. You're in good company.

Not to worry.

OF

OF,

Beardharmonica

I tough my MFLB was broken at first. Then I saw a video on youtube of someone using it with a bong.

The MFLB is not for someone vaporizing everyday. It will not give you satisfying vapor if you are using the Extreme Q on a regular basis.

It is extremely stealthy and cool for a kid or soneone who vaporize really really low ammount.

I received my solo and it smelled really bad. I dont think theres a good portable vaporizer on the market yet unfortunatly.

@cannanas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIIKQuPuJc

This is the video that showed me that nothign was wrong with my MFLB. Just not the device for me.

It just take way way too much effort for a mini hit.

If you like me and take huge it, every few minutes, everyday. You will lose patience and think it's not working right.

mod note: please use the edit button instead of making back to back posts - posts merged

Beardharmonica,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Beardharmonica said:
@cannanas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfIIKQuPuJc

This is the video that showed me that nothign was wrong with my MFLB. Just not the device for me.

It just take way way too much effort for a mini hit.

If you like me and take huge it, every few minutes, everyday. You will lose patience and think it's not working right.
I take hits all day every day.
I take huge hits and small hits.. at minimum once an hour 24/7.
I have never lost patience with the box, and get great hits.
(and I own a couple dozen vapes, that I can choose from!)
@cannanas - You're doing great! I am glad you are enjoying the Launch Box!

Vitolo,

cluffy

Vaker
Hello and Happy New Year!! I had to post here because this morning I dusted off the old LB in anticipation of my first set of Imedion 2400's that are on their way. Hadn't been carrying it so much since my Powerex 2700's stopped working so well. They still work fine in other devices but they don't last long in the LB. So I cleaned it up, especially the lid which I hadn't cleaned before - there was a nice brown circle on it :-) . Toothpaste worked great. I put a little of the best stuff I have in the OEM grinder (LOVE that little thing!), dumped her in and popped in a freshly charged Powerex. BAM! Still works as well as ever! It's gonna be nice to carry around again when I get the new batteries.

I've been following the thread and hadn't had anything to add till this morning when I saw a video of the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey set to Pink Floyd's Echoes. It wasn't in widescreen or HD, so I decided I wanted the whole experience. First I had to watch the whole movie again and that's where I was reminded of how it feels when you get the LB, or any other vape for that matter, figured out for the first time. I dedicate this clip to you, Cannanas and everyone else who's ever taken a Magic Flight!!!

2 minutes of film excellence

CHEERS!!

cluffy,

Cannanas

Bad news guys ... The police have requisitionned my MFLB ... :(

And so i want buy a other vapo, but no have much money ... I can't buy an other MFLB for the moment.

The alivi 8 is good ? In vapo i want just a good high, its this i love. its the principal, no ?

Cannanas,

OF

Cannanas said:
Bad news guys ... The police have requisitionned my MFLB ... :(

And so i want buy a other vapo, but no have much money ... I can't buy an other MFLB for the moment.

Bummer. I guess it's not a good plan to just suggest they buy one of their own rather than steal yours? Doesn't often work here, either.

Have you considered Vapor Genie? IMO an excellent 'gateway vape', able to deliver light or heavy as desired. Cheap, easy to learn (well, easy enough), economical to use and some models look like a conventional pipe. Might not catch their attention??

Good luck. Too bad if you get forced into making your own......

OF

OF,

Cannanas

Thanks for your council, i suppose vaporgenie have risks of combustion ?

What is the best vaporgenie, the normal or the coil ? And the vapbong is same efficace of vaporgenie ?

And the vapir Oxygen is not good ?

You think i can take same high with the vaporgenie than the MFLB ?

Cannanas,

cluffy

Vaker
I guarantee you can get the same high with the VG Cannanas, but instead of just having to get your draw right you have to hold the lighter correctly. The world of vaping loves to throw learning curves at you! I don't know about the Vapir but that's right up there in LB price range isn't it? And you CAN still get just the LB by itself if you contact Magic Flight I believe.

So I'm sure we'd all love to hear the story of how your MFLB got confiscated if you're willing to share. It's understandable if you don't though... :ninja:

cluffy,

Bun.it

toxic_waste__84694_zoom.jpg

this makes the perfect case for the MFLB plus two batteries and mouthpiece. I would post pics but I cant work out how to attach them.

Bun.it,

hogleg

Cannanas said:

What is the best vaporgenie, the normal or the coil ? And the vapbong is same efficace of vaporgenie ?

And the vapir Oxygen is not good ?

You think i can take same high with the vaporgenie than the MFLB ?

oxygen is a piece of shit
the handcarved genies are way better in use, the coil is stealth and you can definitely get higher with the VG

hogleg,

OF

Cannanas said:

Yes, if you work at it you can combust, once. It's so nasty you'll try not to do it again. As my bud Cluffy says you do need to learn to control the lighter too, but you need to control heat (via the battery) with the LB anyway.

I like the coil, and it cheap. Fits water pipes too. Easy to clean, can be made 'trace free' for the cops and customs if necessary. Easy enough to use, but some guys are a bit shy pointing the lighter at their face. I think the more conventional 'pipe types' might be better if stealth is an issue. From even a few feet away, it looks like a tobacco pipe you're having some trouble getting going. I suspect either would slip past customs, the pipe version perhaps a bit easier? Too bad dealers aren't set up to include a pouch of tobacco and some pipe cleaners with it......

OF

OF,

violentz313

Well unfortunately none of your suggestions are helping even the tongue thing. Still coughing my brains out on every single hit tiny or big and trust me when i say its not me something about the harshness isn't right i would try a water pipe attachment but i dont have the kind of extra cash for that plus im doubting that it would even help me. Oh well guess this vape isn't for me ill give it a couple more days but then I'm selling it i know it sounds bad but this just hurts my throat and chest too much sorry mflb thanks for your attempt at help guys.

violentz313,

lwien

I had the exact same problem, violentz. So much so that I put it away for about 3 weeks and didn't use it because I felt that it may be doing me some physical harm being that it caused a tickle in my lungs that caused me to cough. In all the decades that I have been using MJ, I have never felt this before. It was different than the lung expansion you get when you take a huge hit from a bong.

Anyways, I took it out again and used a few different techniques and lo and behold, I was able to cut that sensation down about 90%. It's still there a little bit, but not bad. I still like my PD better for a lot of reasons, but as a portable now, I can see taking this on the road with me.

lwien,
Top Bottom