1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Magic-Flight Box

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by magicflight, May 16, 2009.

1. Lokbok

Lokbok Active Member

True.. but the way I intended to use it was put the stuff I've already pre-ground with my Space Case into it because I heard the Finishing Grinder doesn't do a good job with things like stems and really does work better in general with pre-grounded materials. Maybe a coffee grinder would avoid all those steps together can do everything in 1 go. I just have to find a proper one that'll be easy to take out all the material without leaving crystals and powder everywhere. I have a hand mill for coffee at home and those definitely don't work well with vaping herbs - think you need something with blades instead.

2. KidFated.

KidFated. Watch your pawking metaws.

Doesn't it have a lifetime warranty?

meek420 likes this.
  3. axakal

axakal Well-Known Member

i don't pre-grind, when the bud is dry enough and it works just fine. i leave out the stems though.

4. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

The finishing Grinder really does bring out the best in my Box, I have other grinders but when I'm taking a magic flight there is nothing better. I don't pregrind for the FG, it works great dropping in .02gm or less and in seconds the trench is loaded with bud perfectly ground for the Launch Box.

If you want to pregrind a bit for later the finishing grinder works, it Just takes a little longer to grind a gram or two.

Now my finishing grinder is so much a part of the box I don't wanna do without it. Kind of like for years I hit my LB native now I gotta have one of Ed's stems. For the price on massdrop you can't go wrong.
    imho .

5. Lokbok

Lokbok Active Member

The only thing I'm concerned with is that I know I don't always have the driest herbs.. and I know the Finishing Grinder can have issues in those circumstances, especially in having residue on the grinder itself.

6. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

I just ordered a SCS, does that get fine enough for the LB?

7. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

With the SCS , if it's a 4pc you may have to grind with it upside down to get it really fine but it works. Also if you have a course grind all you really have to do is load the trench then take a hit, dump the bud in your palm and crush it with a finger. The bud is then perfect for vapin' in the box.

8. Lokbok

Lokbok Active Member

I have a SC 2 piece which grinds overall finer than the ones with more pieces and I feel the standard grind isn't fine enough for the MFLB. Its great for every other vaporizer or for just smoking.. but in order to get it finer I've popped all the ground stuff into a pill bottle and shake it up with 2 nickels inside. It does the job, but I want something that'll get it finer more consistently in one go. I'm sure if I filled my SC with less material and took an extra 5 min grinding it'll get much finer, but these days I've been slacking a little on the grinding since I'm usually prepping for the daily usage for 2 people. Only thing I'm concerned with getting an electronic coffee grinder is that it'll no doubt have small crevices or whatever for where the blade comes out. I'm worried it'll collect all the fine dust in there.

9. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Spot on, this is the one I use to do a gram or so at a crack:
    http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex...qid=1395692700&sr=8-3&keywords=coffee grinder

The price is certainly attractive, and it performs like nobody's business. This little guy is kinda fun, but the big one is the one to have if you're only getting one:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P15LX0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A368LE113Q5PAL

I weigh out 1/8 gram lots (.120 to .130 grams) in small glass vials and cap 'em up. Very handy:
    http://www.sunburstbottle.com/amber-glass-vial/p/A18/

You can get clear of course, but I like the amber...... Anyway, I carry a pair of batteries and a pair of vials in one of those four AA battery cases with the loaded box. 3 guaranteed trenches (at 1.5 per battery), plenty for most field emergencies.

OF

10. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Previously, I had an Aerospaced 4-piece and was unsatisfied with the grind.
    With not much effort, my solution has been to dump contents into a cup and muddle it until it is the consistency of sand.

Edit* just got my SCS! not as fine as I would have imagined, but nice and fluffy- probably a good first step before a finishing grind.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  11. Lokbok

Lokbok Active Member

Maybe I'll just have to get both to satiate my curiosity. With the Massdrop price.. I'll already be saving $10 from the normal price anyways. Perfect money saved to try out the coffee grinder OF linked.

meek420 likes this.
  12. Ano

Ano FC Lover

[​IMG]

I guess they know it won't only be used for coffee :leaf:

Thanks for the link OF, nice find.

Lokbok, KidFated., OF and 1 other person like this.
  13. meek420

meek420 Well-Known Member

I have lost enough green in between moving it from my pollen box to the launch box I think the ability to grind directly into the lunch box should help alleviate spilling it during loading.

(Also, I've lost quite a bit of pollen to the electric coffee grinder I used to use)

I've been on the fence as well but I know I can use the grinder with or without the LB, it gives me an idea of the premium wood I might like in the futue, and helps complete my magic flight collection (orbiter, power adapter, concentrate trays, LB...)

Just need me a wood dart stem -- has anyone used these yet? Thoughts on them? Something tells me the dart stems are worth it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Lokbok likes this.
  14. OF

OF Well-Known Member

You're welcome, but this one's not my fault I think. Someone else (Pipes?) posted about it first. I'm just passing it on. The flat window caught my eye and so when my prior one packed in (Krupp) I got on board. The window's fun to watch the action through.

OF

Lokbok, Ano and meek420 like this.
  15. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Re the finishing grinder. As long as your buds are dry I really don't see the need to pre grind. Maybe a little tear with your fingers as you put it in but two grinders seems superfluous.

And if your bud isn't dry enough then just stick it on the top of your Mflb tin's lid on a heat source (radiator, telly, whatever) for 10 mins.

The FG is great if you want my opinion. I was skeptical but was pleasantly surprised with the results.

axakal and meek420 like this.
  16. meek420

This morning I found Orbiter's bonus feature!

Hold the LB up to your ear when drawing through the orbiter to hear the music of magic flight!

;)

17. Lokbok

Lokbok Active Member

Yea, that was my main concern with the coffee grinder.. losing some of the dust during transfer. I guess its not so bad if you're the type to grind a decent amount at once, but if you're doing a few trenches worth at a time.. probably won't be the best mileage.

18. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if you blow through it backwards it says "Paul's dead, Paul's dead"........

Don't tell anyone, OK?

OF

19. Herbert

Herbert New Member

Hi guys, i´m new here, been vaping since -07 when i bought my first vaporizer, the Volcano (Still have the same one). First i must say this is a really great forum, I am glad i found it.

I hope someone can help me, i got my self a mflb but all i can get it to do is burn my herb really bad no matter how hard i draw. In the manual i think it said something like "press the battery and wait 3-5sec for vapor, but if i do that it combusts my weed before i draw :\

If i start drawing at the same time i press the battery i get vapor for 3-4 seconds, then it burns and i have to dump the load, no matter how i draw (I am pretty sure its not my technique).

Have made 5 attempts by now, all with the same result. My box now smells really bad :ugh:

It seems my box is getting too hot? Is this heard of before? Is it possible that the box is faulty?
    Tried to search but the thread is to massive. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Peace

20. lwien

lwien Well-Known Member

Very well could be the grind. The MFLB really likes to see a pretty fine grind.

For me, I got the MFLB about 4 years ago but didn't like it at all. Thought that it was just a learning curve that I was never able to get over. Then I won the Finishing Grinder here in a contest and THAT made all the difference in the world.

Also, if the box is getting too hot, try drawing faster.

Draw speed and how that affects temp is just one of the things that you never had to learn with the 'Cano.

OF and meek420 like this.
  21. Lokbok

Lokbok Active Member

Without seeing your box and draw technique.. its hard to really find out whats wrong. One thing I'll point out though.. the Glyph batteries that come supplied with the recent MFLBs are definitely higher powered (my first MFLB had far weaker batteries). Personally.. I've gotten to the point where I don't need to count how long I hold the battery in and do it by heat (some people go native, without a stem to better gauge the heat) and taste. Especially if your batteries are brand new and Glyphs, you might want to hold it down even less while drawing. What I generally do is let the heat go on at least a second before I start drawing, then let go of the battery/PA button while still drawing a few seconds after. I don't ever combust unless I want to.

As far as finding whether or not your Box is faulty, you gotta either try a power adapter or let someone else who is experienced in the MFLB take a look at it.

As lwien mentioned.. the MFLB really likes dry, finely ground material.

22. Cool Chicky

Cool Chicky Wookie

I ordered a vape pen (Dr. Dabber) over the weekend. Should I expect it to be more efficient than the concentrate tray? I've been using super melt lately.

23. Lokbok

Lokbok Active Member

I don't have personal experience on the concentrate tray.. but when I was thinking of getting one I did look up info. I think general consensus is that it works.. but isn't the most efficient. A lot of that has to do with it also gunking up the MFLB. The fact that MF came out with a dedicated concentrate vape probably is evidence that the tray isn't the best way.. more of a compromise to give you the ability to double dip on one device. With that said.. I imagine any quality dedicated device probably does a better job and with less energy used.

24. meek420

Those new glyphs (mf batteries with logo) rock and if it's a clean box it'll likely run hot. It might cool down as it's used more.

Finely ground dry product is a must!

Fill out a claim form on magic-flight.com and they'll be able to guide you through diagnosis, if you get the process started now and there is a problem you'll have it resolved that much faster.

25. Herbert

Herbert New Member

Thanks for the reply, I tried it drawing as fast as i could. So fast in fact that the herb was swirling around in the bowl, but it still combusted.

I´m guessing it must be my unit. Has anyone else had this problem?

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors