Would anyone happen to know if duracell 2450mah NIMH batteries cause the box to combust or heat up more than the powerpax 2400mahs?

FormerVapor24,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
OF said:
Vapinghole said:
Vitolo - is there a specific reason you use low-proof rum versus another alcohol?

Thanks!

Sure is. It's cuz when he finishes scrubbing it out he rinses the stem by sucking three fingers of that rum through it in one pass. Wouldn't wanna do that with ISO......

When, oh when, will the new guys learn that Vitolo isn't just another pretty face?

OF

Hahahaha! Very nice. I have a lot to learn, for sure :lol:

Vapinghole,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Vapinghole said:
Vitolo - is there a specific reason you use low-proof rum versus another alcohol?

Thanks!
There sure is.
high proof liquor absorbs past the "goo' (resins from vapor) in the stem.. way too fast.
I do not want to completely dissolve all resin and then have the alcohol get heavily into the inside of the wooden stem.
Low proof rum, and only SLIGHTLY damp.. will not dissolve all resin completely.. so you do a few passes as I described....
then suck (vacuum if possible) dry.. and that low proof rum.. with its remaining hints of resin within the tube, will evaporate during the suction. This leaves the inner walls of your stem with a very fine.. very thin protective coating.
Higher proof will strip the inside oils, and actually scrub the bare wood within. No catastrophe... but over time with hard use I can avoid premature cracking, and even preserve that stem!

OF said:
Sure is. It's cuz when he finishes scrubbing it out he rinses the stem by sucking three fingers of that rum through it in one pass.
I wonder if OF is watching me from across the street!! :wave:

Vitolo,

OF

Vitolo said:
OF said:
Sure is. It's cuz when he finishes scrubbing it out he rinses the stem by sucking three fingers of that rum through it in one pass.

Guilty. I can't really afford one of the good seats, so I'm out here in the cheap seats.....with the real people. Besides which, the new guys really should get close enough to hear what's going on, shouldn't they?

OF

OF,

tonytokes

Vitolo said:
Vapinghole said:

Thanks!
There sure is.
high proof liquor absorbs past the "goo' (resins from vapor) in the stem.. way too fast.
I do not want to completely dissolve all resin and then have the alcohol get heavily into the inside of the wooden stem.
Low proof rum, and only SLIGHTLY damp.. will not dissolve all resin completely.. so you do a few passes as I described....
then suck (vacuum if possible) dry.. and that low proof rum.. with its remaining hints of resin within the tube, will evaporate during the suction. This leaves the inner walls of your stem with a very fine.. very thin protective coating.
Higher proof will strip the inside oils, and actually scrub the bare wood within. No catastrophe... but over time with hard use I can avoid premature cracking, and even preserve that stem!

OF said:
Awesome post! Just ordered my zebrawood stem can't wait for it to come in!

Pardon my ignorance but what classifies rum as "low proof"? Lower alcohol content?

tonytokes,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
tonytokes said:
Thanks for all the great answers guys. I'll look into getting some Imedions and Ed's stems (since they seem to be the only option).

Do Ed's stem fit in all MFLBs? Not entirely sure if the draw hole size changed in any models, I have the clicktop MFLB.

Are there any differences in Ed's stems or just appearances? Any recommendations on wood type and size?

Ahh, the Powerex maha MHC-9000 is tempting but at $60 it's a bit too pricey for me.

Good morning, as stated above all my stems are hand turned and hand fitted to the LB before it ever leaves the shop. As far as species, its hard to say, its all in the eye of the beholder. No one has mentioned that every order from eds tnt ships free worldwide, so what you see in price is all you pay in the end, nothing extra. Being in Canada, you will not get any tracking but will not cost you anything either. Hope this helps! Thanks for the info on the posts all.

Ed's TnT,

Vitolo

Vaporist
80 proof is 40% alcohol by volume.
I specified this so folks don't use that 151 that was hiding in closet... (because they may think higher proof is better cleaner)
151 proof is 75% alc
191 (everclear) is 91%

anything higher than 80 proof can strip
anything lower than 70 proof will leave residues, flavorings or sugar behind

regular 80 proof Rum is what I describe

Vitolo,
Would anyone know if duracell 2450mah batteries cause the box to run hot or msybe even cause the box to combust?

FormerVapor24,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
All good batteries can make the box combust (mostly at first seconds of their discharge). Some bad batteries can combust too if they release they charge too much.

Anyway duracells 2450 are great for LB (electrically). Perform great. In my experience they don't fit snug.

Seek,

tonytokes

Vitolo said:
I specified this so folks don't use that 151 that was hiding in closet... (because they may think higher proof is better cleaner)
151 proof is 75% alc
191 (everclear) is 91%

I mainly drink Sailor Jerry's (46%) spiced rum. Would I be able to dilute the rum and use it then? Does it matter if the rum is spiced, dark or white?

tonytokes,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
Seek is right about the Duracells. I have 4 Duracell batteries, i think they're 2450, and although they work great the fit with the MFLB is slightly looser than i'd like. sometimes i have to twist the battery while it's inserted to make sure all the necessary connections are made but besides that they are a solid battery for the LB that you can find at a local store.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

Vitolo

Vaporist
tonytokes said:
Vitolo said:
151 proof is 75% alc
191 (everclear) is 91%

I mainly drink Sailor Jerry's (46%) spiced rum. Would I be able to dilute the rum and use it then? Does it matter if the rum is spiced, dark or white?
Sailor jerrys is already well diluted.
No do not dilute it further.. you do not want to use water...
also... sailor jerry's has added sugars.. it would be best to just get a tiny bottle of Bacardi (Not 151)

Vitolo,
Hello, for a whole now i have been trying to understand why the mflb turned on me. My first box was 6 months ago, and i owned that box for 4 months. For the first 3 months i had the box the thing was 100% all around no smell. I gave it a good cleaning at least twice a month, but cleaned it out with the brush after every trench. I also only used the magic flight batteries for those 3 months, i rotated 4 of them for my daily usage. Then one day the box turned on me and starting to smell. I mean the thing reaked like a bowl. I had it in a camera case with a rubber band around the hole in my car and it smelt my whole car. I do not know how this happened, maybe a skunky herb, maybe duracell 2450 mah batteries. I would use the box in my apartment and it would reak almost as bad as smoking the herb. I mean for the first 3 months my box was 100% smell proof no matter where i used it. Well it got so bad that i just ended up getting rid of the box. Well after about a month without my box i realised i had to purchase another. Well i am currently using duracell 2450mah batteries with this box and when i first got it, and the thing is already giving me the same problems. I dont know if this could be the batteries or if it could be a smelly herb. I just dont know i wish i just had a smell proof box once again.

FormerVapor24,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Try to clean your screen as recommended. I had a strong smell, and even saw lots of stuff UNDER the screen. However after a good cleaning of the screen (as recommended), I doesn't smell at all to me - in fact smells a bit like tea tree oil, or a soft flower/tree smell - smells pleasant now!

sessnet,
Thanks, but are some buds just impossible to mask, and is it best to stick with magic flight batteries. Also if anyone knows how come when i vape now it smells close to smoking. First 3 months i had the box never had a problem, i used to be able to vape in my office.

FormerVapor24,

Nycdeisel

You mean you may be combusting? Its possible but like said on this page^ all good mflb batteries would be able to combust if you let it.

Clean it after EVERY use if you are concerned about smell and keeping it clean. But if you dont even use it everyday, maybe a couple times a week :)

(but,keep in mind i am obsessive about keeping my vapes and glass clean) ;)

Nycdeisel,

OF

Vitolo said:
tonytokes said:
Sailor jerrys is already well diluted.
No do not dilute it further.. you do not want to use water...
also... sailor jerry's has added sugars.. it would be best to just get a tiny bottle of Bacardi (Not 151)

I'd steer clear of spiced rum (technically a cordial due to the sugar). Any 'distilled spirit' (Gin, Vodka, Bourbon (or any whiskey for that matter including my personal favorite, Single Malt) or most anything else in the well at the local will do fine. It's all distilled until the sugar gets added.

OF

OF,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hello, for a whole now i have been trying to understand why the mflb turned on me. My first box was 6 months ago, and i owned that box for 4 months. For the first 3 months i had the box the thing was 100% all around no smell. I gave it a good cleaning at least twice a month, but cleaned it out with the brush after every trench. I also only used the magic flight batteries for those 3 months, i rotated 4 of them for my daily usage. Then one day the box turned on me and starting to smell. I mean the thing reaked like a bowl. I had it in a camera case with a rubber band around the hole in my car and it smelt my whole car. I do not know how this happened, maybe a skunky herb, maybe duracell 2450 mah batteries. I would use the box in my apartment and it would reak almost as bad as smoking the herb. I mean for the first 3 months my box was 100% smell proof no matter where i used it. Well it got so bad that i just ended up getting rid of the box. Well after about a month without my box i realised i had to purchase another. Well i am currently using duracell 2450mah batteries with this box and when i first got it, and the thing is already giving me the same problems. I dont know if this could be the batteries or if it could be a smelly herb. I just dont know i wish i just had a smell proof box once again.

Another member discovered that the smell wasn't from the LB, it was the stem. Could this be your issue too?

pakalolo,

natural farmer

Hey guys! I would like to express some thoughts that could help a few. I've got the LB for a year and a half now and it was always a mixed situation for me. Sometimes I would get where I wanted with one hit, other times I would need a whole trench or even two. I ordered the Solo a few days ago because of this inconsistency (still waiting), but during these last days I gave it a lot of thought and some small experiments with my LB later I figured out that:
  • the box always worked fine (especially with the PA that makes it a lot more consistent)
  • my high was variable mainly because of greater tolerance at certain periods of time (if I didn't vape for a day or two I would get high with 1 or two box hits, if I vaped all day my tolerance skyrocketed)
  • on the other hand quality of herbs played a big role as to how many hits I would need
  • micro hitting or drawing very very slow (or pyromon's technic) will give a big cloud but won't get me there faster. It will take more hits and more herb, will make my throat dry and my mother will open the windows if she comes by... :) Slow and long pulls (sometimes more than 40 secs) will take me there in a couple of hits and with much less smell too, due to reduced exhaled vapor (PA set to the middle).
  • the times that I needed to use the box in public didn't make me feel very comfortable with the stealthiness. This was due to the constant shaking it would take to vape uniformly and the long draw times. You just magnetise the looks. I'm talking about airports, bars, you name it. I believe Solo inside a plastic coffee cup with the stealth adapter and a straw will be the stealthiest vaping experience ever...
  • most of the smell comes from the stem or tube as most of the weed honey (which IS smelly) stays in there
  • as I have to sell my LB to get the Solo, I will purchase the LB again as soon as I can cause it's in a class of it's own as a human concept and as a device that vapes weed!!!
Cheers from Greece and keep vaping!

natural farmer,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Someone asked (emailed) if I can post the picture of my "EXPLO-DEAD" MFLB battery. Here tis:

mflbbattery.jpg

Basically, I left it in a pocket without the endcaps, it touched something metal (coin/key?), and started smoking and hissing. It spit that nasty black stuff all over my floor, and I almost has a heart attack because it was smoking, hot, hissing loud, and scared the life out me.

I thought it would blow up! But, it didn't. :ko:

sessnet,

tonytokes

I'd steer clear of spiced rum (technically a cordial due to the sugar). Any 'distilled spirit' (Gin, Vodka, Bourbon (or any whiskey for that matter including my personal favorite, Single Malt) or most anything else in the well at the local will do fine. It's all distilled until the sugar gets added.

OF
Awesome, thanks for the great response OF and Vitolo! I just ordered my Zebrawood two days ago, anyone from Canada have experience of how long Ed's stems take to get shipped here? I'm super excited :)

So I do not want to rinse my wood stem with water at all right?

tonytokes,

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
i dont know about eds shipments, but i sell hockey cards on ebay and canada is my most frequent shipped to country, is typically 5-7 days. eds the man so likely got it out yesterday.

i havent needed to clean my eds stems yet but been reviewing the advice here snd i wouldnt use water. i like the idea of the bicardi rum. i love multi use products. a cleaning then a swig :tup: then a vaping!

YoGranMazPimp,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Awesome, thanks for the great response OF and Vitolo! I just ordered my Zebrawood two days ago, anyone from Canada have experience of how long Ed's stems take to get shipped here? I'm super excited :)

So I do not want to rinse my wood stem with water at all right?

Shipped you yesterday Tony, just guessing though, maybe 1-2 weeks through customs and all. Should be there soon, sent it out in a small bubble mailer, nothing fancy. Hope you dig it!

Edited to add cleaning method: yes never submerge these stems, just simply dip a pipe cleaner in ISO or what have you and push it through, blow it out and let it dry, and off you go!

Ed's TnT,
Top Bottom