Discontinued The Hammer Vaporizer

Tweek

Alright, time to give my full review on this little guy. Now when I first saw the Hammer on the forum, I thought to myself "WTF is that"? With so many new vapes hitting the market these days, you never know what is just gimmick vs a really dependable product. I am happy to report that The Hammer is one of the good guys :). What you have here, is a rugged and compact butane powered vaporizer, that is a joy to use and packs a good punch! Now I know there is alot of debate about butane powered units, blah, blah, blah…and everyone is entitled to their POV, but the way the Hammer is designed, you will NOT be inhaling any butane. Just flavorful warm vapor. Now this is not to say you won't smell any butane…it does have to vent, and if you are on the sensitive side like I am, you will notice it. The folks at Hammer informed me that angling the units top vent away from your nose helps alot, and it did. This is not a big deal, but a consideration for those who may not like the smell.

Now that I got that hot topic out of the way, I will say that from my POV, this is a great unit for those who want something affordable and rugged to take with them on camping trips, hikes, bike rides…those places you do not want to lose or break something more delicate/expensive...or where batteries are not viable. This is not to undermine the power of the Hammer though…this could easily be your main vape if you want it to be. You will notice Hammers slogan "No more wispy hits!"…and they mean it! Once you get a hang of the draw, this puppy can pack a punch of serious, thick vapor. You have to be sure to pack lightly, as the draw can be tight, but a tighter draw seems necessary to control the intense heat it can put out! Warm up time is about 30 seconds, and after your first hit, there is enough built up heat inside the unit to get a few more hits without holding down the button.

The unit does get hot on the outside after use, so you will have to wait a bit for it to cool down before pocketing; but this is an issue with a few portables these days…when you pack a lot of power into a small format, it is bound to happen. I have read the Hammer being compared to a one hitter, and I think this is a good description…take a stem, small container of herb and your hammer, and you can have a quick hit or two on the go. Simple and effective.

I was fortunate enough to win my unit during a contest they had here at the forum. I got a set of shallow and deep stems (I believe the deep stems are normally at an extra cost?) and as I mentioned earlier, I really like the deep bowls. They allow me more head room, and as a result, greater control of my vapor production.

All in all, for it's price, you can't go wrong if you want something effective and affordable, or just an extra unit to toss in the toolbox or backpack. Great job Hammer!

Edit: I will be working on some videos down the road to show vapor production, etc. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Head Tools

Manufacturer
Glad to hear that you are enjoying getting Hammered!!!

Excited to see your video... even just a few vapor shots would be great!

NO MORE wispy HITS
David

Head Tools,
Reactions: Tweek

OO

Technical Skeptical
Hey guys,

Just a quick question, I have these little cans of butane lying around from the Weller pyropen soldering iron. My dad always used to tell me not to use this butane for lighters etc.. anyone know why this could be?
Been searching for specifics on this butane but couldnt come up with anything decent as to why this butane would be different or more dangerous or whatever... :s
Edit: might be stupid question but im asking it anywayz :D
Either it's ability to clog the lighter or to introduce harmful impurities into the path to your lungs.

Neither should be relevant to the hammar!

Head Tools

Manufacturer
Either it's ability to clog the lighter or to introduce harmful impurities into the path to your lungs.

Neither should be relevant to the hammar!

^^^^ Its probably just not very high quality butane. But as I mentioned before, I purposely use low quality butane just to make sure that it does not clog the Hammer. And as OO pointed out... since the flame is completely separate from your airpath, you won't inhale any impurities anyway.

NO MORE wispy HITS
David

Head Tools,
Reactions: Dopevape

SeriouslyHIgh

Retailer
Thanks for your review Tweek...I think you've just sold one on the company's behalf!

The problem I have with this amazing forum is that there are too many great devices I'd like to try out, too little money in my pockets and not enough time to get medicated! At least I have the right product :brow:

Dopevape

^^^^ Its probably just not very high quality butane. But as I mentioned before, I purposely use low quality butane just to make sure that it does not clog the Hammer. And as OO pointed out... since the flame is completely separate from your airpath, you won't inhale any impurities anyway.

NO MORE wispy HITS
David

Hmm yeah i got it, also what OO said. Been trying it out allready and found out the pressure doesn't really work out for the hammer it does take alot longer to heat up properly with weller butane... so i don't know if this is the real deal butane we use for turbo lighters and such .. or not.
Or i might have managed to get it clogged :(.
I wasn't worrying about the health issue its just im sitting here with shitload of those weller butane cans :D hehe and im too lazy to go to the stores :/ and now seems they don't work properly.

Dopevape,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Hmm yeah i got it, also what OO said. Been trying it out allready and found out the pressure doesn't really work out for the hammer it does take alot longer to heat up properly with weller butane... so i don't know if this is the real deal butane we use for turbo lighters and such .. or not.
Or i might have managed to get it clogged :(.
I wasn't worrying about the health issue its just im sitting here with shitload of those weller butane cans :D hehe and im too lazy to go to the stores :/ and now seems they don't work properly.
Try letting some fuel out by pressing the fuel inlet down with a wooden dowel.
Some torches can't deal with extra high pressure. Let the fuel out for a few seconds and see if it fixes the issue.

Also, try adjusting the flame intensity with the -+ adjuster.

OO,

Dopevape

gah i sort of ruined my hammer... never use weller pyropen gas as it seems to not be the gas we need :D

Dopevape,

Head Tools

Manufacturer
gah i sort of ruined my hammer... never use weller pyropen gas as it seems to not be the gas we need :D

Those soldering irons do not use a flame, but rather create heat by reacting the butane with a catalyst. Perhaps the Weller fuel contains additives to facilitate the process...?

Give me a shout... we will get you Hammer-ing again.

david@thehammervaporizer.com
NO MORE wispy HITS

OF

but is it possible to burn it out? ill keep on trying :s

I'd be much more tempted to dump it. Carefully press the hollow pin in the center of the fill valve up a little bit. Expect the gas to gush out.

Then fill it with fresh (good) fuel, shake it up good and dump again. Maybe even a third time? Gas is cheap. Do it outside, of course. Don't push any further than you need to. Last time I did it I used a wooden match IIRC.

OF

Dopevape

i did dump it but i also used alot of the pyropen butane... allrdy used about 2 fresh fillings of normal lighter butane burning it up. with pauses in between.
I will try this shaking up and dumping haven't done that, so far ive just been burning it up hoping it will burn itself clean so it might burn a little harder again..
its not reaching max temp anymore whatever that is hehe and it doesn't work at the lower setting.. so bummer :(
Thx for the tips btw :) guys
btw at first it seemed to be acting just fine with this butane.. but after a while...

Dopevape,

Head Tools

Manufacturer
I'd be much more tempted to dump it. Carefully press the hollow pin in the center of the fill valve up a little bit. Expect the gas to gush out.

Then fill it with fresh (good) fuel, shake it up good and dump again. Maybe even a third time? Gas is cheap. Do it outside, of course. Don't push any further than you need to. Last time I did it I used a wooden match IIRC.

OF

Definitely try this.... Its kind of like rinsing the fuel tank with clean solvent. When I do this, I wear a glove, or cover my hand with my sleeve (the butane is very cold when it comes out)

Head Tools,
Reactions: OF

Dopevape

Definitely try this.... Its kind of like rinsing the fuel tank with clean solvent. When I do this, I wear a glove, or cover my hand with my sleeve (the butane is very cold when it comes out)

OF

Allright I did try this and tadaaaaaa!!!! it seems to work again at normal power lvls :p the low setting just works again like it used to and high setting is hurling like a big bad ass mama!!!
Yesterday i did this and afterwards i didnt have the butane to test it out.. but today i got hold of some near zero impurities butane from Newport!! just my luck!! it just works now after a minor hasstle...
yeah.. it seems to be harder over here to get hold of butane... somehow.
Anyway problem is solved and thanks for some good advices. Thanks David and OF and OO and others i might not have mentioned.
Edit: yes sry about the double posting it won't happen again... i was excited!!

Dopevape,
Reactions: OF

OF

Allright I did try this and tadaaaaaa!!!! it seems to work again at normal power lvls :p the low setting just works again like it used to and high setting is hurling like a big bad ass mama!!!
Yesterday i did this and afterwards i didnt have the butane to test it out.. but today i got hold of some near zero impurities butane from Newport!! just my luck!! it just works now after a minor hasstle...
yeah.. it seems to be harder over here to get hold of butane... somehow.
Anyway problem is solved and thanks for some good advices. Thanks David and OF and OO and others i might not have mentioned.
Edit: yes sry about the double posting it won't happen again... i was excited!!

You're welcome of course, thanks for passing the good word!

Now, just to be sure it's really taken care of go out and get a couple tasty grams to run through it......

OF

Hammer Vaporizer

Manufacturer
Wassup FC,

Just wanted to give you guys a little sneak peak at some new accessories we are launching in the next few weeks.

The first is a "kit" that allows you to use the Hammer one-handed. You basically add a small rubber gasket to the outside of the heat exchanger and then use a new stem with a larger bowl that was made "lock on" to the gasket around the heat exchanger.

I've been "testing" :) it for David for the last couple of weeks and I can tell you that it's AWESOME! It makes the Hammer even more user-friendly and versatile than ever. We are still working out all the details, but we will likely be offering it as a DIY add-on for current Hammer owners and optionally bundled (pre-installed) with new Hammers.

We will have additional details and a video that shows it in action soon, but for now here is a picture...

IMAG0197.jpg

The second accessory, or should I say accessories, are a series custom glass stems. These are also made to work with the new one-handed "kit" add-on, so they will include the rubber gasket you need to use them. I'm really excited about these because they give you the ability to choose a unique glass piece that was designed just for the Hammer. Here are a few pics of those...

20130314_211215.png

20130314_211604.png

We also have a redesigned GonG fitting to use with the one-handed kit and will hopefully have additional custom glass pieces (more custom stems, pipes, bubblers, etc.) coming before too long.

As I mentioned, additional details will be available soon about this stuff so stay tuned. Feel free to let David or I know if you guys have any thoughts or questions in the meantime. Peace!

Aaron

Dopevape

great can't wait to try that :D would be hell of alot easier behind the computer when gaming or something :p

Dopevape,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Yes! Evolution! I knew it was only a matter of time... :) You guys planning on a sort of concentrate stem/adapter? I know it might prove a bit tricky considering how you have to hold the Hammer, and I know you could theoretically smush some in between layers of bud, but how about a concentrate-only stem?

Liking the slyme stem by the way :tup:

Quetzalcoatl,

OO

Technical Skeptical
I'm very interested in these new products.

Any word from David on the design we discussed?

OO,
Love the looks of the new accessories! Very cool.

Can anyone please give me some advice on properly lodging screens in the stems? I bought a new set of screens from Hammer and got them today hoping they would be better than the worn-out ones I had been fighting. But no. The claim of the screen "clicking into place" is either completely false or I am doing something wrong. I can get the screen in there, a new screen mind you, but it has such a tenuous hold that any even careful stirring of the bowl is likely to dislodge it, and then I'm fucking with the damn thing half way through a session.

It's really starting to be a problem. I'm hoping these new accessories have a different screen design. Would love to see a built-in glass screen. I hate screwing with these damn brass screens, especially when they seemingly don't fit correctly.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Dopevape

Love the looks of the new accessories! Very cool.

Can anyone please give me some advice on properly lodging screens in the stems? I bought a new set of screens from Hammer and got them today hoping they would be better than the worn-out ones I had been fighting. But no. The claim of the screen "clicking into place" is either completely false or I am doing something wrong. I can get the screen in there, a new screen mind you, but it has such a tenuous hold that any even careful stirring of the bowl is likely to dislodge it, and then I'm fucking with the damn thing half way through a session.

It's really starting to be a problem. I'm hoping these new accessories have a different screen design. Would love to see a built-in glass screen. I hate screwing with these damn brass screens, especially when they seemingly don't fit correctly.

it depends on how you insert it. The nail should help with this: wrap it around the nails head then plug it in. It never clicks ofc but it does stay in its place.
STirring can be a problem yes just try to stir the materials rather then scratching the screen along doing that. Try to mix it up a little rather than stirring it even! push a toothpick down there and dig it up sort off and try to leave the screen in its place. I have never had any problems with it comming out or anything.

Dopevape,

OF

it depends on how you insert it.

Boy, isn't that the simple truth!

On a slightly more serious note I found a round chopstick that fits the tube fairly tightly with a squared off end. I taped this in the stem from the long end ending just where the screen will sit. This gives you something solid to poke the screen flat against. It's still a bit loose, but once really flat tends to stay put better.

Obviously, pull the chopstick out before you try to vape with it. Well maybe that's not so obvious when you're loaded so I figured I'd add it and be sure......

I tried trimming a larger screen down to be slightly larger than the factory one, then 'domed' it a bit before pushing it in. It was tighter but a lot of hassle.

OF

Thanks dope and OF. Great tips. I have not been wrapping the screen around the nail head before inserting. I will definitely try that. Love the tip about the chopstick. I did try something similar to that with a bamboo skewer, but it's not as thick as the glass stem, so it didn't work very well. I will go on the hunt for something that better fills the diameter of the glass.

This is probably an obvious observation and I'm sure has been discussed to some degree, but the screen seems to be the one real downside to this otherwise excellent little vape. I bought the Hammer specifically for times when I need to conserve (like right now), and it is perfect for that purpose. With the Hammer, I can get nicely toasted on a fraction of what it takes in my Buddha, and I can stretch through an entire evening what I would typically blow through in a couple hours with the Buddha. BUT the one problem is the damn screen. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a stem with a built-in glass screen that I could just ISO when it gets dirty.

TheDudeNextDoor,
Reactions: Dopevape
Top Bottom