The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. SpudBob

SpudBob Member

Im new to the site, be gentle, but kinda bummed out! After what I thought was due diligence, and a bit of research, I JUST bought a SS Hopper on their 4/20 sale. I, reluctantly, didn't check here on FC for feedback. I, currently, sport a MFLB with PA 2.1 and 2.4 units that works pretty dang good. I just wanted something more stealthy. Did I screw the pooch???

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

This thread is definitely Groundhog Day!!! :rofl:

Hogni, Vapor_Eyes, MonkeyTime and 2 others like this.
  3. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

If you really don't want the hassle of going through the process, then this is not the vape for you at this time, even though they work effin' great. There will be process, for sure.
    Hoppers aren't distinguished by 'generations', since they are 'improved' on an ongoing basis. When you send one in for repair, theoretically it comes back either the same as it went in (repaired), or as part of the repair it might get an updated part. They don't usually specify anything about iterations.
    Welcome.
    You may very well be pleasantly surprised and pleased with yourself over this purchase! Yes, there have been problems (not in every case are these catastrophic) but if you can handle being occasionally without the Hopper while it's being serviced (and you have backups, we see) this might work out fine for you. I have two and do not regret for one second the purchase I made!

If you are an international customer the biggest hassle is postage and wait time. These are the factors that make it much harder, in my opinion.
    When you get your Hopper, don't be in a hurry to register it; you only need to register if it needs service. As unregistered, you have option to sell and new owner would then be able to register.

Best of luck. Enjoy it!

4. biohacker

:rofl:Sorry couldn't resist and help myself! Yes, ideally your broken GH comes back fixed.... but not always!

Newbies.... welcome, but please put the time in to read this thread, as well as Reddit. Don't forget to address the credibility of posts... it's a good idea to look at post history, you'll quickly know who has bias and who does not.

@frank grimes Welcome man, i'll get to your PM as soon as I can, you asked alot of questions! :lol:

5. fogbank

fogbank Well-Known Member

I have both a Ti and an SS and I actually just ordered another SS (10% off :)). I prefer the feel of the SS - the weight, the smoother threading of the back end... Threading the back end onto the Ti feels "gritty" compared to the SS.

So far I have had no real issues with either of my Hoppers. In the past few weeks I have noticed a hot back end on the SS, but it works fine otherwise.

It's a strange sensation though - it seems like a "flash" of heat that I detect shortly after turning it on (feels like it could burn me even). But as hard as I try I can't seem to find the exact location of the heat. It seems to go away quickly! After it happens I "feel" around the whole back end and it only seems slightly warm. I've used BlueTac on the back end threads a few times, and it seems to prevent the hot back end for a few sessions, but it still comes back. Do others with a "hot" back end have the same experience?

I am still constantly amazed at how quickly the Hopper can create heat and produce tons of vapor. For me it is the ultimate stealth vaporizer.

6. biohacker

Exactly the same experience precisely.

7. frank grimes

frank grimes Member

Ok, let me rephrase my question...

For those who have bought a recent grasshopper say, since last fall 2016 and use it regularly but not heavily say, on average once a day and you took care of it (gentle handling, regular maintenance and no pushing the machine to its limit), has anyone NOT suffered from any problems?

I know there were problems when the GH first came out with a lot of faulty units and lengthy delays. But after all these so called "revisions", is the current version more durable? What are the chances of me getting a good GH that won't require me to send it back?

Over the last few years, I've used the solo, mighty and Alfa extensively and regularly and none of them have any problems except for regular wear and tear like battery degradation. Other than that, they all still work fine. Knock on wood, but I've never had to send out any of my units for repair. Is it possible for the GH to be as durable as that?

So what you're saying is that they work effin' great for a while and then it'll break down sooner rather than later leaving you in a hot mess?

What are the chances of it working effin' great and all the time?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

My SS Hopper was bought brand new in Feb 2017. It had a hot back-end and mediocre performance from the get-go. I purchased a 2nd hand Ti one which confirmed that my SS wasn't working up to par. My Ti one worked well for about a week before having erratic behavior and performance and finally completely failing (maybe a month).

My SS I sent back after about 1 week of use. It's a 3 week turn-around from here in Canada. It came back 3 weeks later much worse than I sent it in. Pretty much unusable. I sent it back again as fast as I could get an RMA. I will hopefully have it back next week. I'm not sure that's the average case. But mine has gotten light use (as I've never had it actually working properly for even a day ... I have had it in a usable state for about a week but far from 100%).

So I have a >80% downtime with a brand new Feb 2017 SS Hopper.

9. biohacker

Hey @JCat you know that I sold ALL my 4 GH's (2 ti 2 SS) after they ALL came back from RMA. Your Ti has been the only one that has needed an RMA. The other 3 I still have in my account, and have not been requested to transfer warranty. 2 are active FC members here. Thought I share something positive for a change! :lmao:

Hogni, MoltenTiger, ashinybox and 4 others like this.
  10. jackla

jackla New Member

Question to you GH experts: I've had a GH for almost four months now and it has been fantastic! I use it through water daily and I take it with me when I go hiking.

Recently i switched to using the PFE and I have two issues:
    1. I think after using the PFE for about two weeks, the draw resistance had increased a lot. It's there even when I remove the mouthpiece and try drawing directly from the back-end. Don't get me wrong, I can still draw, but it takes considerable effort, and this is without any material loaded.
    2. The LED ring is losing LEDs. At first the whole thing would light up, but now only one LED remains.

I don't mind (2) that much, but (1) is a bummer.

Thanks for all your wisdom !

11. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes The map is not the territory

I'm going to say the Grasshopper is probably not for you. I would consider a log vape for that usage, plus they are very reliable.

Prolusio, Hogni, MoltenTiger and 4 others like this.
  12. biohacker

Slim to none IMO. But it depends what your expectations are for longevity? I had a SS and Ti that worked incredibly awesome for over 6 months, maybe longer, but then they both bit the dust. I'm pretty sure they build up alot of resin in the heater or sensor, because airflow was nothing like a new GH. I posted alot about this airflow thing, but assumed it was a design change.

Welcome to FC! :tup: I wonder if it's just resin built up...perhaps the PFE since it allows so much more vapour output, is causing this issue so quickly? Maybe give it the ISO soak up the the proper limit if you are daring?

I have a feeling many RMA's (especially the straight to blue led sensor issue) are due to this resin issue in which there is presently no self maintenance for, unless you're bold enough to soak in ISO like some have. The other issues are due to the sensitive back end PCB and clicker IMO.

I personally wish they went with a button on the side or something instead of that clicker. They could have still kept the clicker, just static, but I found when hitting it dry, it was kinda of annoying to turn off, especially mid draw (to keep vaping while it was off to clear). I'd have to remove it, spin it and use my thumb, especially the older models with clickers that were hard to press. The new ones are smoother, but still just not ergonomic using it native IMO. For bong use no problem. Something just isn't very durable in that back end/clicker.

If you've missed out on 4/20, HL still hasn't updated their pricing, so get them while they last!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Hogni, MoltenTiger, Hjalmark and 3 others like this.
  13. guyonthecouch

guyonthecouch Well-Known Member

14. C4PO

C4PO Well-Known Member

I got my Ti last Oct. It has been a daily driver for me ever since, all but retiring my FF2. While I do use it daily it's usually just a few hits late night to help me sleep. 1 load will last me 2 or 3 nights. I have had 0 problems with it; for me it IS the best thing since sliced bread. The Grasshopper Feeder is an amazing accessory for it making loading a breeze. I rotate through 3 batteries with an external charger and have not seen any significant degradation yet. I have had to clean a little resin from the mouthpiece screen which made more of a difference in draw resistance than I thought it would. I say pull the trigger, even if there is a problem GHL has proven they'll stand behind the product.

Prolusio, MoltenTiger, ooo and 8 others like this.
  15. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Awesome! Maybe PV will become their Canadian repair depot as well! That would be awesome because PV are absolutely the best to deal with!

Edit: And prices are on part with HL as well. Price is ~$10 more for either SS or Ti after exchange. That being said, shipping is free though! So for me that would mean ~$20 cheaper and 2 days to my door (1 day for most people in Ontario)

So the PV option is cheaper and faster for us Canadians :)

16. biohacker

If that happens, i'm so in again....and for more than just one! Even without an FC discount! :rofl:

Nice to see that they are priced accurately and fairly unlike Toronto Hemp Company.

17. howzcat

howzcat Hard on Glass

Quick question guys:

Anyone has Randy’s Pack N Stash?
    Does it fit the opening of the GH? Or is it too wide?

Can't decide between this or the feeder, but this one is more versatile for my other vapes...just needs to fit the hopper ;)

18. vapviking

That's not exactly what I'm saying.
    I said there will be process. No one really knows the return rate of the newest Hoppers, even as the old Hoppers become new ones via the updating during warranty repair. Some have blamed HL for making owners all beta testers and there's a small element of accuracy there. I haven't minded.

I did not say anything about a hot mess; this does not happen to me when my Hopper stops working. I calmly fill out a warranty request form and describe the problem. Next day I mail it in (cost < $3.00 US and I'm 5 minutes from a US Post Office) and in less than 2 weeks its back, working better than before. While I wait I use the other Hopper or another vape (Mighty or -rarely- a Pax2).

If this sounds onerous to you, then I say again this may not be the right vape for you at this time.

On this forum there have been a few more naysayers then HopperHeads(tm) lately, which is fine and fair, but members being repetitive about their problem or their love can tend to skew the general perception of the product.

Prolusio, GreenHopper, JCat and 4 others like this.
  19. SpudBob

SpudBob Member

Im a hopping you are right. Like I said before, I ordered my first as part of the 420 sale. They promised same day shipping. That was 2 days ago and no shipping notice yet. Maybe they took 4/20 off. Do you think??? Anyway Im hopping for a positive experience. From what Ive seen they work great when they work. I JUST didn't know they were so problematic. Fortunately I'm only a couple states over so shipping would be minimal. Im, also, okay with being part of a growing experience. I am part of the now defunked MFLB PA beta test. That, by the way, had mixed results. The PA works good but because of the 4 part setup, designed to make servicing less costly for MF, the leads tend to slip off a lot. Kind of a PITA. Anyway hope the GH experience works for me. I like to sponsor home grown, pun intended, projects!

Prolusio, GreenHopper, JCat and 2 others like this.
  20. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes The map is not the territory

The trouble is you're asking a question that nobody has an answer to. I believe that @Baron23 has not needed a repair yet after over 8 months. There might be a couple others on the forum that have not had issues.

If I had to put a number on it I'd say a realistic chance of a perfect unit is maybe 5%, and a 20% chance would be wildly optimistic. But those numbers really mean nothing at all, they are just my guess.

My question is why are you interested in the Grasshopper? It seems as if you already have three portables and don't vape outside of the house much. I really think a plug-in unit or something like a Supreme or Sticky Brick would be better for you. They will offer better reliability and free you from the hassle of batteries.

I enjoy my two Grasshoppers a lot, but I have had three repairs so far, with roughly 16 months of total combined ownership across two devices. It has been a minor expense and hassle since I'm in the US.

Prolusio, Hogni, voodoo_vape and 6 others like this.
  21. biohacker

Does this include insurance and tracking? Only asking because of an incident where someone choose a cheap shipping option w/o tracking and insurance and the GH went MIA. HL apparently offered a small discount on a new GH. This is something that scares me being in Canada, where HL continues to choose the cheapest options to ship, without tracking cross border. @JCat posts explain all of this.

If you're shipping your GH back to the lab, make sure to insure it and get it tracked. If you can do that for less than $3 in the USA, we certainly get fucking hosed up here in Canada.

Which is another reason to use more resources than just this forum. I suggest Reddit.... but most people usually want to hear the horror stories anyway, and the GH certainly has no shortage of those.

@SpudBob Think of the GH like batteries.... only good for so many cycles before the performance drops, or stops working altogether.

22. SpudBob

SpudBob Member

I don't really use batteries , anymore , with MFLB. I use the power adapters and the cigarette lighter
    cord on the go. Not the best portability but improves the process greatly! If you STILL have a MF you owe it to yourself to try the PA. Whole different animal than batts!

23. vapviking

If ordered yesterday, that's not two days yet!
    I think they say same day ship IF ordered before 2 pm.
    In any case today is not over yet in Boulder; they sometimes send a ship conf. late in the evening. And unlike some shippers, HL doesn't seem to send the conf. until after the the package is picked up by the carrier.
    Patience building is one of the exercises, btw!

24. SpudBob

SpudBob Member

I, actually, ordered it on 4/19 but it was after 2PM MT and I'm SURE they took yesterday off. Im just saying on the website they changed it TODAY to 1-2 days to ship. No biggie. I know many waited YEARS for their first GH

JCat likes this.
  25. vapviking

Oh, they've been known to push the envelope on the truthiness thing, but even that has been improving steadily as they're getting their footing.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors