Discontinued The Grasshopper

disGRUNTled

Couple of bowls of Blue Dream thru the Grasshopper , watching Wu-Tang Clan videos on Youtube .
3Ec95nv.jpg

yXCnccg.jpg

QiYPsIe.jpg

XdpVXDR.jpg

KEK8dxH.jpg

JCat

Accessory Maker
Well ... very not impressed.

My SS Hopper is still not great, better than last time, but probably about as good as it was when I sent it in the very first time, but no better for sure.

Performance wise ... it doesn't perform like my Ti one did. It can milk up a tube but you have to "massage" it a little, using it at 5 for it to work. If you pull too hard it over works the heater (and by too hard I'm not meaning that hard at all but what an average pull would be); so you have to pull slowly at first working up a little but not anywhere near where I would with my Ti (at 4.5 instead of 5). I almost couldn't pull hard/long enough to overwork my Ti ... this one I barely have to try.

The other issue I am sending it in for is the hot back end. Pulling at 5 (or 4.5), any speed, the back-end gets extremely hot. I'm tempted to video tape myself turning it on, taking a 10 second hit. Turning it on again, taking the 2nd 10 second hit. Then I hold my finger to the back end for 5-10 seconds (this will be hard and I'm not sure I can do it) so that I actually get burnt, and show them the burn. I don't know how else my point is going to get across that it's too hot! I'm sure this is in "acceptable range"! ... I call BULLSHIT!

Apart from that, I do like having my mediocre soldering iron Hopper back in my hands; even at this level of performance it performs pretty well ... just no where near where it can. Once you've had a cool running great performing (even erratically) Hopper it's hard to settle for mediocre and scalding.

Edit: I wonder how my Ti will come back? It won't be here for a while, since they "don't do Priority Shipping unless I pay full price". I pointed out how that's interesting since they did it last time but whatever. Coming back USPS lost in space mail.

JoeMama

First I've read about it...thats a significant change.

Thanks for posting.

Would this not work well for that purpose?

Changwei Straw Cleaning Brush for Baby Bottles, Baby Sippy Cup, Teapot Spout
Well thanks for that suggestion... it could work... I know there are measurements on those brushes, as I have a similar set but even the largest diameter on the set I have is barely an eighth of the Hopper's diameter. The second set I bought was a bit bigger, but, I would like something like a mini-toothbrush which I may put some leverage on to "dig in" to the threads with the bristles.

almost there

My SS Hopper is still not great, better than last time, but probably about as good as it was when I sent it in the very first time, but no better for sure.

Performance wise ... it doesn't perform like my Ti one did. It can milk up a tube but you have to "massage" it a little, using it at 5 for it to work. If you pull too hard it over works the heater (and by too hard I'm not meaning that hard at all but what an average pull would be); so you have to pull slowly at first working up a little but not anywhere near where I would with my Ti (at 4.5 instead of 5). I almost couldn't pull hard/long enough to overwork my Ti ... this one I barely have to try.

The other issue I am sending it in for is the hot back end. Pulling at 5 (or 4.5), any speed, the back-end gets extremely hot. I'm tempted to video tape myself turning it on, taking a 10 second hit. Turning it on again, taking the 2nd 10 second hit. Then I hold my finger to the back end for 5-10 seconds (this will be hard and I'm not sure I can do it) so that I actually get burnt, and show them the burn. I don't know how else my point is going to get across that it's too hot! I'm sure this is in "acceptable range"! ... I call BULLSHIT!

Apart from that, I do like having my mediocre soldering iron Hopper back in my hands; even at this level of performance it performs pretty well ... just no where near where it can. Once you've had a cool running great performing (even erratically) Hopper it's hard to settle for mediocre and scalding.

Edit: I wonder how my Ti will come back? It won't be here for a while, since they "don't do Priority Shipping unless I pay full price". I pointed out how that's interesting since they did it last time but whatever. Coming back USPS lost in space mail.
I'm sorry to hear that, I honestly was hoping your's would come back in decent order so I would have some hope in the horizon. Thank god for my vapcap and my sticky bricks, they keep me level headed so I can just appreciate the hopper as my novelty sci-fi toy.

@disGRUNTled finally! All that suspense was killing me:D. Thanks for sharing as always, life must be grand as a lounge Lizard:lol:

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

I hope this isn't a repost..., I just received my repaired Hopper today in the mail and noticed a few differences. First off, the button feels much more smooth when you click it. Also I notice after it times out it's no longer required to turn the unit off then back on again. You can simply let it timeout then click it once to bring it back on. Again sorry if its already been noted.
Did you get a new serial number with the refreshed back end? Or have they just replaced components inside it?
Either way that's a good change (digital switch over physical contact).
I saw someone mention it on Reddit, I'm wondering if my units will come back like it
https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHoppe..._grasshopper_firmware_just_got_serial_number/

This is the other thing I wonder about getting the hoppers back...
Really hope they can work their tolerances into something reasonable, but sending out 'repaired' units that act in that fashion.... their warranty department has to be in overtime for sure :/

I had a back-end that got scolding hot (inconsistently), eventually it caused flickering blue lights and lacklustre performance. I would say it's obviously a device fault if the back-end is generating heat, and it's really shitty they sent it to you like that.

Edit: speaking of inconsistent, I've had times where a hopper will perform like you mention (improperly but adequately) where after leaving it sometime (eg. overnight until the next session) it seems to have 'reset' and works properly (especially noticeable with AVB colour which ranges from tan brown when it's working improperly to near black when it's normal at the same temp level).
What kind of ambient temp are you toking in @JCat?

During the AMA @paytonpenn asked HL about differing temperatures, and Trevor mentioned the possibility of future custom temp settings as well as temperature tuning for devices
https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/65ks2l/ama_hopper_labs_founders_matt_and_trevor/dgb1vpg/

So they're at least aware of these potentials, I'm hopeful they can figure it out

Last edited:

freshly baked

Did you get a new serial number with the refreshed back end? Or have they just replaced components inside it?
Either way that's a good change (digital switch over physical contact).
I saw someone mention it on Reddit, I'm wondering if my units will come back like it
https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHoppe..._grasshopper_firmware_just_got_serial_number/

Really hope they can work their tolerances into something reasonable, but sending out 'repaired' units that act in that fashion.... their warranty department has to be in overtime for sure :/

I had a back-end that got scolding hot (inconsistently), eventually it caused flickering blue lights and lacklustre performance. I would say it's obviously a device fault if the back-end is generating heat, and it's really shitty they sent it to you like that.

Edit: speaking of inconsistent, I've had times where a hopper will perform like you mention (improperly but adequately) where after leaving it sometime (eg. overnight until the next session) it seems to have 'reset' and works properly (especially noticeable with AVB colour which ranges from tan brown when it's working improperly to near black when it's normal at the same temp level).

During the AMA @paytonpenn asked HL about differing temperatures, and Trevor mentioned the possibility of future custom temp settings as well as temperature tuning for devices
https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/65ks2l/ama_hopper_labs_founders_matt_and_trevor/dgb1vpg/

So they're at least aware of these potentials, I'm hopeful they can figure it out
I received a new backend with a new serial number. Also my body looks the same on the outside, all scratched up, but looking into the chamber I can tell its all new inside. The heat up time is also much faster on my unit.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Warm back end? You mean the "thermal scorching low battery indicator"? It's just an unintentional feature off the hopper dark magic :lol:
basically I am a glass half full hopper owner and think its required for ownership :2c:

Agreed, I think it's genius how HL's have build a portable branding iron. KIDDING!!!! don't hate on me.

Still love my hopper although one of the reasons I don't post about it much these days is it's only getting about 1/3 usage as I'm preferring my OmniVap for the majority of my usage.

Also I haven't really got anything to report back on, it still works great but I no longer classify it as being under heavy use.

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
howdy howdy... long time, no post :p
I must say that my mind is blown away from VC, that really cheap and simple vape..which it follows the KISS rule...:freak:
Anyway, the hopper gets some time of course but nowhere near as before..
This is not the reason I'm posting here at this moment though. The reason is to express my opinion of HL CS, which some times tends to be an unacceptable one.
So here how the story goes. My friend had ordered two hoppers, a Ti and a SS, almost two months after I had ordered mine. I received mine, almost a year after and I must say that I was a pain in the ass with our communication. Hundreds of emails asking what's going on and begging for an honest reply up until the last few months that I persuaded myself to see it from the humorist's side of view and started enjoying my communication with Caroline or whoever that be.. When I finally received my unit, I had it with the cop lights in less than 15 days which I dealt with very normally, as if I was expecting it. Proof was sent about it and I kindly requested that they sent me either another unit or whatever they thought that needed to be changed since my hopper at that time was partially working so I could get medicated from time to time.
And so they did!! Which really impressed me and I must admit I was hoping but not really expecting to happen. Main body was sent and I had the original posted within a week after receiving it. HL were also surprised that I managed to ship them mine so soon. I don't know if this was due to the fact that I was bombarding them with emails and they felt sorry for me, but they did made the exception and due to international destination they agreed.
So, here comes my friend in the story. He finally received his units after having the 1st shipment lost in the outer space and 2nd one was finally received almost a year and 2 months!! To his unpleasant surprise, the MP of his Ti hopper does not fit properly and while it turns on the main body's threads it kinda scratches the threads and you can see that the MP is a little bit smaller than it should. He wrote to them to ask them whether they could send an extra MP and send them back the faulty one and they told him to return his whole unit for inspection.....:bang::doh::bang:
Now how f** up is that.. They don't even trust their customers that they've already been mocked like that for all this time that the deadlines were changing month after month..

All this GH-love/mania, has gone beyond me for some reason. I'm seriously thinking of sending my unit for an
inspection, now that I have a proper backup and hopefully I will have my old GH back that used to milk my bongs and rip their souls!! :ninja: For the time being, it just delivers a handful amount of vapor but not milkying the walls of any of my glasses... something that it used to in the past... then maybe the hopper can attract my attention and interest again..!!

Hope that all you guys are doing well and that your hoppers are still kicking some aasss.... Cheers!!

JCat

Accessory Maker
Are you going to RMA the SS that you just received back from RMA? :brow:
Correction ... am I going to RMA the SS that I just received back from the re-RMA as it did not work after receiving it back from the prior RMA! (I'm going to be sending it back a 3rd time! ... at $75 in RMA shipping so far I'm getting close to 50% of the original. Extrapolating forwards, I should expect this unit to cost me in excess of 100% of the cost of the Hopper by year end. Isn't that just fucking awesome! ... I'm inclined to just keep spending the $25 and keep sending it back until they get it right out of curiosity's sake for how this will evolve ... at what point will they find this ridiculous? They are spending close to as much in shipping as I am although with much worse service)

I'm sorry to hear that, I honestly was hoping your's would come back in decent order so I would have some hope in the horizon. Thank god for my vapcap and my sticky bricks, they keep me level headed so I can just appreciate the hopper as my novelty sci-fi toy.
I am sorry to hear it too :( ... oh well ... maybe they will actually bother to fix it when I send it in for the 3rd time? (~1 week of total functional ownership since Feb ... getting pretty fucking ridiculous!)

I'm vaping at an ambient temperature of 66F to 74F since it's in my heated workshop out back. (I've vaped in colder, but this is a good baseline for what I am basing my feedback and everything on)

Anyways ... this SS unit works ... but not very well. It just can't seem to generate enough power to keep the heater going at even temp 4.5. You have to throttle your breath right down and even then it's not enough (so it milks for the first few seconds, then you have to give it a short break for it to recover). Regardless of what you do ... ie. slow breaths to get it to milk or faster for lighter vapour ... you still get the scorching back end. I tried to hold my finger to it after my first hit so I could take a picture of the burn to send to Caroline, but I guess I'm too weak as I can't hold it and pull away after a second or so, before I get an actual burn that shows a blister.

Could be coincidence, but I tried the last session at just over 4, and it actually worked better than at 5 as the heater seemed capable of keeping up more ... might not work next time though. Heck, anytime it could just barely work at all and leave my bowl green like it did last time when it came back from RMA within less than 24 hours.

Hopefully it will remain somewhat functional until my Ti Hopper gets back (coming back slow/untrackable mail of course since they said they can't do priority even though they did it last time). I will be sending back my SS Hopper for a 3rd time when my Ti Hopper gets back, assuming it works (which I would say odds based on my prior experience are less than 50% ... heck ... so far based on my experience those stats say it is 100% certain it will come back still broken). So I will be going on my 3rd RMA because they have failed to fix it in the first 2 RMAs. Talk about fucking awesome customer service and quality control!

almost there

Correction ... am I going to RMA the SS that I just received back from the re-RMA as it did not work after receiving it back from the prior RMA! (I'm going to be sending it back a 3rd time! ... at $75 in RMA shipping so far I'm getting close to 50% of the original. Extrapolating forwards, I should expect this unit to cost me in excess of 100% of the cost of the Hopper by year end. Isn't that just fucking awesome! ... I'm inclined to just keep spending the $25 and keep sending it back until they get it right out of curiosity's sake for how this will evolve ... at what point will they find this ridiculous? They are spending close to as much in shipping as I am although with much worse service)

I am sorry to hear it too :( ... oh well ... maybe they will actually bother to fix it when I send it in for the 3rd time? (~1 week of total functional ownership since Feb ... getting pretty fucking ridiculous!)

I'm vaping at an ambient temperature of 66F to 74F since it's in my heated workshop out back. (I've vaped in colder, but this is a good baseline for what I am basing my feedback and everything on)

Anyways ... this SS unit works ... but not very well. It just can't seem to generate enough power to keep the heater going at even temp 4.5. You have to throttle your breath right down and even then it's not enough (so it milks for the first few seconds, then you have to give it a short break for it to recover). Regardless of what you do ... ie. slow breaths to get it to milk or faster for lighter vapour ... you still get the scorching back end. I tried to hold my finger to it after my first hit so I could take a picture of the burn to send to Caroline, but I guess I'm too weak as I can't hold it and pull away after a second or so, before I get an actual burn that shows a blister.

Could be coincidence, but I tried the last session at just over 4, and it actually worked better than at 5 as the heater seemed capable of keeping up more ... might not work next time though. Heck, anytime it could just barely work at all and leave my bowl green like it did last time when it came back from RMA within less than 24 hours.

Hopefully it will remain somewhat functional until my Ti Hopper gets back (coming back slow/untrackable mail of course since they said they can't do priority even though they did it last time). I will be sending back my SS Hopper for a 3rd time when my Ti Hopper gets back, assuming it works (which I would say odds based on my prior experience are less than 50% ... heck ... so far based on my experience those stats say it is 100% certain it will come back still broken). So I will be going on my 3rd RMA because they have failed to fix it in the first 2 RMAs. Talk about fucking awesome customer service and quality control!
it's my exact same experience, functioning but not enough to satisfy. I even said the same thing about only having had 1 good week with this brand new unit

biohacker

at what point will they find this ridiculous?

getting pretty fucking ridiculous!

so far based on my experience those stats say it is 100% certain it will come back still broken

Talk about fucking awesome customer service and quality control!

You're starting to sound like @biohacker from not too far back! :lol: Remember the roller coaster? Are you having fun yet? Sorry, I don't mean to make fun of your situation, but I do know how you feel because i've been there, and worse, but gave up and I have a feeling you may too soon.

You know I love you @JCat !:tup:

JCat

Accessory Maker
You're starting to sound like @biohacker from not too far back! :lol: Remember the roller coaster? Are you having fun yet? Sorry, I don't mean to make fun of your situation, but I do know how you feel because i've been there, and worse, but gave up and I have a feeling you may too soon.

You know I love you @JCat !:tup:
Thanks bud! I take it the right way ... I understand your intentions and IMO you don't step over the line (makes me laugh actually). The irony of the situation is not lost on me. I'm very interested to see how my Ti one comes back. I'm hoping with the 3rd return meaning both HL and I are out $75 in shipping for warranty service in <3 months, they will take the servicing seriously this time; probably not, but you know ... I'd say I'm a pessimistic optimist :) (expect the worst but hope for the best?)

One of the worst parts is the anticipation of one coming in the mail, because I like these vapes so much when they are working properly, I look forward to getting a functional one. Then they finally, finally arrive ... after an eternity in transit, and they don't work right. Sigh.

I don't think I'm at my breaking point yet ... have a ways to go ... ultimately they take so long in transit, plus the communications take a bit, so generally it's a 1 month cycle if I use them for a few days each cycle. I think I can afford $25/month to satisfy my curiosity of when if ever HL will actually start working with me to fix my Hoppers; seems kinda' crazy that we'll keep playing this back and forth game. $25/month * 12 months = $300/year each for Hopper Labs and I. They'll be losing a lot of money on this vape too if they don't fix it; and I'll just keep going I think and tally up what HL and I have each spent. Pretty ridiculous ... think we'll get to >$500 each? More? (oh yeah ... and I'm not even accounting for the cost of them servicing my Hopper and communicating with me)

biohacker

@JCat thanks bro, you know i'm rooting for you, but whatever you do....don't reward them by buying two more like I did! :doh: I'm glad you appreciate my humour! You are definitely showing zenpen like GH patience, but think of all the money you could be spending on quality herb instead of wasting it on shipping costs! I know how you feel though, i'm looking at getting a Crafty and Mighty again, and when I had fully working proper GH's I never wanted to see those vapes ever again as you know.

Can't wait to hear your Ti RMA return report!!! :popcorn::cheers:

ChooChooCharlie

Was looking for cheap "goo" shields when transporting hopper, after it's detached from my fancy cooler. LHS staff were more than pleased to hold the hopper while trying a couple silicone hookah mouthpiece covers. I chose the largest size.

Really just wanted a goo-free transport device, but figured I'd do a session with it on for kicks. Nice surprise.

The mouthpiece end is same diameter as the hopper itself, so it's like a silicone PFE. Know I've seen posts about using vape pen lip shields, but the hookah shields have the wide opening. Better than stock condom -- flow sensation improved, cooler because space between silicone and metal. Bonus -- resin goo only near tip of metal mouthpiece, not a metal/condom glued goo mess. They were a buck each.

GXMIzKN.jpg

Know I'm lucky with my two hoppers, and hoping that others will be happy hoppers soon.
Found this old vid. They did it! Right, Bio??

Last edited:

SpudBob

Bad News-Good news!!! Was contacted by GH to let me know it would be another week for my S.S. model and a Ti PFE. So guess what. I canceled the order and ordered a DynaVap M instead. Ordered it at 9AM from Puffit and it was on its way by 11:30AM. NOW THATS SERVICE!!! To tell you the truth Im relieved ,after ALL the negative banter here, that I didn't get my order. Its because I also ordered the Ti PFE, which they said they had and was ready to ship, not-true, that I had precious time to reconsider. Thank ALL of you guys and gals who, I believe, steered my right maybe without, even, knowing it. I realize that some might say I should have stayed the course and taken my lumps with the GH but Im GLAD AS HELL I didn't. Simple is Betta! Peace Out!

Mr Mellish

Bad News-Good news!!! Was contacted by GH to let me know it would be another week for my S.S. model and a Ti PFE. So guess what. I canceled the order and ordered a DynaVap M instead. Ordered it at 9AM from Puffit and it was on its way by 11:30AM. NOW THATS SERVICE!!! To tell you the truth Im relieved ,after ALL the negative banter here, that I didn't get my order. Its because I also ordered the Ti PFE, which they said they had and was ready to ship, not-true, that I had precious time to reconsider. Thank ALL of you guys and gals who, I believe, steered my right maybe without, even, knowing it. I realize that some might say I should have stayed the course and taken my lumps with the GH but Im GLAD AS HELL I didn't. Simple is Betta! Peace Out!

I don't know, man. I'm getting close to sending my SS and Ti in (10 month old originals). Hanging in to see if the SS pukes out. My Vapcap M is waiting in a friend's mailbox. I doubt it will beat the GH but I'll know within the next week or so.

Good luck!

SpudBob

I don't know, man. I'm getting close to sending my SS and Ti in (10 month old originals). Hanging in to see if the SS pukes out. My Vapcap M is waiting in a friend's mailbox. I doubt it will beat the GH but I'll know within the next week or so.

Good luck!
I doubt that it will beat a fully functioning GH-But thats not really the point for me. I just don't want the drama

duff

Well worn
Fuck my life, i've never ever seen such a devout cult following for the VC!
Agreed!

I've owned my GH since August of 16.
Initially loved it until my first RMA.
Since then it's never performed as well and performance seemed to go downhill with each subsequent RMA.

I started searching for alternatives.
Got the SBJ and loved it but it's not portable enough for me.
I started reading the VC thread since it was growing pretty quickly but I was very skeptical.
For shits and giggles, and because I thought they were quite handsome, I got a TI Woody a few months ago.
Tried it a few times and fell head over heals. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but for me it's just about perfect.

Incredible customer service, customization, constant innovation, no batteries or BS claims, encouraging an entire ecosystem, flavor and effects on par with my Crafty and GH... What's not to like?!

I too may jump back on the GH bandwagon when all ducks are in a row.

It's funny how much CS drives my vape purchases these days!

Hop on!

Last edited:

biohacker

Since then it's never performed as well and performance seemed to go downhill with each RMA.

Okay so it's not just @JCat and myself then! They have gone backwards indeed. What about the awesome OG's that milked like a cow and actually lasted months? Fuck, if I could just have a working GH like the good 'ol days I would actually not even mind an RMA every few months, but not when it comes back the same or worse.

It's funny how much CS drives my vape purchases these days!

Exactly, CS is just as important as the vape, but fortunately there are companies out there where CS is just not even needed. I personally have never needed it for any of my 100+ of vape purchases save for the OG Solo when first released when the ceramic bowl was flaking and robot fart smell. Then again, i've probably never owned a vape long enough to need service! :lol:

Thanks for the heads up on the VC, still don't think it's for me but i'll keep my eye on it indeed and perhaps give it a spin next time I have a vape meetup with Lazylathe! He wasn't much of a fan either.

Top Bottom