1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

I took the black gunk from the backend with some white putty and threw it under the microscope. Check it out guys.
    [​IMG]

Also, check out these trichs I'm vaping on. If anyone has had hashplant, this is similar to that .. bubbly budds, sorta looks like popcorn, but huuuuge buds with intensely potent gassy smell. Almost nauseating.
    [​IMG]

Prolusio, ooo, MountainManGuy and 5 others like this.
  2. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime Well-Known Member

Metal shavings and trippy trichs, nice pictures and post @AJS!

Hjalmark, MoltenTiger and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  3. btka

btka Well-Known Member

when using my pfe with my mflb orbiter I observed when I take 3 to 5 big hits without clicking off gh... it seems like the steel pfe expands a little bit because it is a bit harder to take it off the bubbler... no biggie...

I am happy that I have bought the pfe (I mostly use my gh with my mflb orbiter dry, I also want to mention that I have changed the silicon tubing of the mflb with the more wider silicon tube which came with my stick brick maxx hydro -> better airflow)...
    because of the better airflow with the pfe you have more control when taking hits (e.g. draw faster or slower)...
    I think it is also less maintanace when cleaning (less gunked up front end)...
    also I like that there is no "plastc funel" and "copper looking thing" in the front end...
    pfe does also get hot but can not tell if faster or slower then the regular front end..
    But I will have to search for a new case (had a 3d printed case for the gh), the pfe is slightly longer then og front end...
    Also I observed that I get now 4 nice big clouds without the pfe 3... But maybe thats because of my new herb... but maybe it is because of less condensation because of wider openening of the pfe (pure speculation)...

Prolusio, Hjalmark, vapviking and 6 others like this.
  4. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

So my Ti Hopper has finally bit the dust 100%

Worked well for ~1 week

Worked poorly with lots of fiddling for ~1 week

Worked well, having to fiddle with it 10-15% of the time as long as Ghb1 batteries were used for ~4 weeks

Now it's finally dead (stays red than shuts off) regardless of fiddling.

Still waiting to get my SS Hopper back. So dual Hopper owner here that is currently Hopperless. I wonder what the magic # of Hoppers one has to own to come close to guaranteeing always having a working one? What do you think @biohacker ? Does this # increase (exponentially) with distance from Hopper Labs? :lol:

Looking forward to getting my SS Hopper back! Hopefully this time it will actually be fixed and I won't regret sending my Ti one back before finding out. (This shipping is getting expensive!)

Prolusio, Hjalmark, vapen00b and 6 others like this.
  5. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

In that case I feel for you, because as a former quadhopper (well more like octuplehopper+ altogether) I live about what, 500miles closer than you? So you better get your wallet out! :lol:

Good thing you have the Mighty and Crafty man! See you in the Solo2 thread...but you won't find any company reps there! ;)

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in... :lmao:

PS. HL Reddit AMA in t minus 2.5hours! :rockon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/64rrq6/hopper_labs_ama_on_saturday_april_15th_1pm_mdt/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. Puffers

Puffers Micro-Climate Mastermind

Still need to send mine back in for service.....Only got to use it a handful of times.

Love the concept of this unit, but the QC really leaves a lot to be desired. Although I have a suspicion several problems arise from the wireless design that's accomplished by making the body the positive conductor.

JCat, MoltenTiger and biohacker like this.
  7. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

After 10 months of use, my Ti is now getting the cop lights. Bummer. I should probably return the SS also for excessive heat but it still works...

Prolusio, Hjalmark, vapviking and 4 others like this.
  8. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

The AMA should be interesting. HopperLabs product reps presence on Reddit has been already.

Just saw this, thought I may as well share it here:
    "More PFEs and TI PFEs are scheduled for delivery by the end of the week"

Pretty keen for some TionG

Prolusio, Hjalmark, vapviking and 4 others like this.
  9. biohacker

@JCat from the Hopper's Mouth:

"Every unit is tested extensively before it leaves HL: charge, discharge, heater cycling, etc. We have seen units get damaged in transit and have been working on a shake/impact test to fully evaluate the problem."

Blame Canada!!! (Post) :lol:

Click to play YouTube Video

Hjalmark, vapen00b, JCat and 2 others like this.
  10. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes unfiltered

Some interesting stuff from the AMA on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/65ks2l/ama_hopper_labs_founders_matt_and_trevor/

"It may in the future become possible to have temp tuning done on your Hopper. Maybe even custom max temp?

A tethered option that provides full vaping power is something we are working on."

---

3) Would you design a grasshopper around a larger battery cell?

"3. The form factor will not get larger, but maybe we can get more out of it. :)"

I usually don't do this but, "I told you so". :myday:

I hypothesized recently that the GHB2s didn't necessarily offer the best performance possible at that size. Better than GHB1s, for most of us at least (;)), but maybe not the best possible performance/capacity. It only makes sense because it is a custom size and chemistry, which is almost unheard of in the battery world nowadays. Logic dictates that they will refine and improve performance through concurrent iterations. If Hopper Labs had an unlimited budget they could have went for peak performance off the bat, but that's not always possible in the real world.

It can be very expensive to get custom work done, even in a factory that mass produces many different sizes of batteries. Hell, even the most common 18650 lithium-ion batteries are continuing to improve in capacity and performance as time goes on. Just saying, :2c:, :peace:, hasta la vista, baby! :cool: :borg:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  11. Kermitt

Kermitt Well-Known Member

I would like it if there would be an adapter for home, where a battery is not necessary.

12. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

While highly probably, I don't see anything in that pic that definitely shows it to be metal shavings. I just see gunk, nature unknown at the moment.

Hjalmark, MonkeyTime and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  13. btka

btka Well-Known Member

in the ama HL stated that they will release a Power Adapter to use the GH without any battery.

"Question: Is there any discussion for the creation of a Power Adapter to use the GH without any battery (like the MFLB power adapter)?

Prolusio, GreenHopper, JCat and 3 others like this.
  14. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

A few perspectives on the Grasshopper harshness:

Who the fuck cares when you have this much power in a portable.

I vape for comfort ... if it doesn't meet my standards of enjoyment it's a pass for me.

Heat is irrelevant when you primarily vape through water ... the fact it's portable is just a bonus

For its small form factor, it's acceptable

Lower temps are bearable but higher ones are too harsh.

What harshness?

Hjalmark, MoltenTiger, JCat and 2 others like this.
  15. ShayWhiteGrow

ShayWhiteGrow vAPEhOPPER

Please Hopper labs...make your new case for the hopper fit with the pfe. I have no need for the standard end.:D

16. ashinybox

ashinybox Member

[​IMG]

I was out in the hills of Orange County, enjoying the beautiful weather with my girl and the hopper I got from @biohacker . Cool to think how far this one has travelled now.

As for cases, I've been using these faux leather sleeves I picked up on eBay. They fit the hopper really well and protect it from scratches. You get 2 shipped to your door for ~$6. I don't have any good pics atm.

17. jivebuggered

jivebuggered Well-Known Member

Yes I have been waiting quite a while for my returned one, the most frustrating part is they send it via UPS then it goes to USPS and the in my case Australia Post. As soon as it goes to USPS you lose all tracking which does piss me off, I like to see where it is because I am a impatient prick lol.

Vapor_Eyes, btka and biohacker like this.
  18. WakeAndVape

WakeAndVape VapeLife X

Got my hopper Friday and it made it to Sunday.

When I click it, the light turns red for a second then instantly turns off.

It did work well for a couple days...luckily I know how a good functioning GH performs

19. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

If you pay an extra ~$20 you can get "priority" shipping which will give you tracking the whole way I believe (I'll let you know because that's what I had done with this last shipment so we'll see if I get my $20 worth or not)

Anxiously awaiting the return of my SS Hopper since my Ti one is also dead now :(

20. kato1234

kato1234 Well-Known Member

I have stated before and will again. The hopper battery is a standard li-ion battery. There is no possible way a start-up company could have a custom battery made. They might be able to specify that they wanted a class "A" battery but for custom designs or to engineer a battery. NO WAY. The Grasshopper, which I think is great, is underpowered but works the way I use it. I think they need to UP-SIZE to make it a great vape but for what it is it is great.

21. huk_huk

huk_huk Well-Known Member

22. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

Not that it matters a part from yes it did cost them a huge amount, Grasshoppper's battery is in fact custom and only for the device. You can't buy any other kind of battery to use because it is in fact custom to the device. No other batteries work and these batteries don't work or fit for that matter in anything else.

Whether you define "custom" as only for the grasshopper or built specifically for the grasshopper, it is both.

23. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes unfiltered

24. biohacker

20% HT Grasshopper Sale! Save $70.00 through 4/20.

common, even my haters should like this post!!!! :tup:

25. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime Well-Known Member

Oh stop already, you sound like a shill!

:rofl: couldn't help myself

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors