Discontinued The Grasshopper

McQuack

The v2 charger I use for the charging dock needs 90 minutes to fully charge my hopper. Was it possible to charge the hopper in 45 minutes with the v1 charger? So HL switched from 1A to 500mA to increase battery lifetime?

Indeed, international shipping is a bitch! Sadly this is the cheapest method I can use for shipping.
Okay, thanks. I need to convince some friends to also get a hopper, so they also need some nice stuff from you, and I can split shipping costs with them.

I'm hoping to find a European partner to act as a distribution partner, hopefully I'll find one next year so I can lower shipping and vat taxes for my international customers.
That would be great. Some partner suggestions: Vapefiend, Verdampftnochmal, Vaposhop.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
The v2 charger I use for the charging dock needs 90 minutes to fully charge my hopper. Was it possible to charge the hopper in 45 minutes with the v1 charger? So HL switched from 1A to 500mA to increase battery lifetime?
This does seem new. Has anyone checked the charge rates? Is there published info on this from HL?
It would seem significant, even if only from a marketing perspective, that the charge time would be doubled. I believe HL generally discourages use of external chargers and for an owner without one, 90 min. charge time could significantly affect use habits.

McQuack

This does seem new. Has anyone checked the charge rates? Is there published info on this from HL?
It would seem significant, even if only from a marketing perspective, that the charge time would be doubled. I believe HL generally discourages use of external chargers and for an owner without one, 90 min. charge time could significantly affect use habits.
I asked Caroline and got this reply:
"We typically estimate that it will take about 90 minutes to charge the Grasshopper."

I charge my hopper after each chamber, it takes about 20-30 minutes depending on the herb amount, temperature and draw technique. It's okay for single use, but 1A charging would be so much better for group use. Anyone with both chargers can confirm the difference?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Has anyone ever dropped their GH? Just wondering how fragilie the internals are...
I've dropped my two several times each like from table or lap to floor, and I don't think it's been direct cause of failure, though there have been a bunch of other failures I can't explain at all.
Maybe the question could be, has anyone's Hopper been rendered useless as direct result of a fall?

Or, for that matter, has anyone's Hopper been rendered useless as result of any conclusive, specific action or cause? Maybe a single long, hot session was its' last? Drop in toilet? Yer goat ate it and passed it?

I have been intending to ask HL if they have or could please publish a more complete Best Practices summary. I'm hoping they can help us all improve our Hoppers' longevity. What can I do better while still enjoying my Hopper, to keep it alive? Am I letting it get too hot for too long? Stuff like that, eh? There's a suggestion in the manual to take short strong draws and turn it off between hits, but the context is of comfort and heat buildup. Is this also an indirect caution about using the device when too hot?

I have a package coming from HL, may arrive in today's mail, after falling off USPS radar for 4 tense days. HL did their part remarkably quickly, then USPS slept on it. I'll report on contents after it has landed.

MoltenTiger

Guess also many here preference the pen factor

I would have bought a hopper if it was praying mantis sized with an 18650, but I do know that I prefer the size of the GH to a whiteboard marker or similar fat pen.
Overall, I'm happy to make the sacrifice for battery life. Beyond aesthetics, it is more functional the size it is.
And when I was hiking with mine the other day, toking directly in the forest, the battery lasts for quite a while. I guess most complaints from battery life are from people taking huge rips through glass. Definitely a really awesome way to use it, but it's actually not how it was intended to be used.
Considering the mAh rating, and the tested average, it is pretty insane how efficient it is.
But that said, the batteries are absolutely the worst aspect of the hopper but it's a bearable downside IME. I refrained from getting a Mighty due to the non-user-replaceable batteries, and now I've had to replace batteries with the hopper, I'm really glad I opted to continue waiting for one.
It will take me approx. 4 years to spend the difference in cost between the Mighty/GH in HL batteries, guaranteeing me a vape for longer than the Mighty has warranty two fold.

So I'm planning on using a cotton q tip to wipe up some reclaim and then tossing the cotton into the GH to vape again. Sound good?
I mixed some reclaim with some flower and loaded it straight in. Awesome effects! Better than the dabs I tried with the same oil before.
So yes, that does sound good. I haven't tried cotton, it definitely works well, but so has using herb for me, several times. Definitely gunks up the MP but I guess that'd be the same either way.

Has anyone ever dropped their GH? Just wondering how fragilie the internals are...
I dropped mine onto asphalt soon after I got my original hopper. It landed button first from some height, turned on and was blue by the time I picked it up. Put a few tiny nicks in the Ti button, but internally everything seemed normal for a while.

has anyone's Hopper been rendered useless as result of any conclusive, specific action or cause? Maybe a single long, hot session was its' last?
I have cleaned every hopper that's broken on me (except one) shortly before failure. A few times I have heard IPA boil off the heater. Now I avoid using IPA inside the chamber, it's not really necessary (occasionally a tiny, tiny amount will be necessary depending on usage) but I would stress being ultra mega insane careful doing so. It could be coincidence, but the stats don't trend that way.

The other time I got sensor issues was during use with a 1ft whip attached. This creates back-flow unnoticeably and I would also stress being ultra mega insane careful with back-flow. It says in the user manual not to blow into the device, so if using the device not as designed, with a bong, whip, etc. be aware that back-flow is exactly the same thing, although hard to detect and has to be actively avoided.
Switching the unit off mid-drag is a good way to minimise back-flow being catastrophic.

Last edited:

btka

I would have bought a hopper if it was praying mantis sized with an 18650, but I do know that I prefer the size of the GH to a whiteboard marker or similar fat pen.
Overall, I'm happy to make the sacrifice for battery life. Beyond aesthetics, it is more functional the size it is.
And when I was hiking with mine the other day, toking directly in the forest, the battery lasts for quite a while. I guess most complaints from battery life are from people taking huge rips through glass. Definitely a really awesome way to use it, but it's actually not how it was intended to be used.
Considering the mAh rating, and the tested average, it is pretty insane how efficient it is.
But that said, the batteries are absolutely the worst aspect of the hopper but it's a bearable downside IME. I refrained from getting a Mighty due to the non-user-replaceable batteries, and now I've had to replace batteries with the hopper, I'm really glad I opted to continue waiting for one.
It will take me approx. 4 years to spend the difference in cost between the Mighty/GH in HL batteries, guaranteeing me a vape for longer than the Mighty has warranty two fold.

I mixed some reclaim with some flower and loaded it straight in. Awesome effects! Better than the dabs I tried with the same oil before.
So yes, that does sound good. I haven't tried cotton, it definitely works well, but so has using herb for me, several times. Definitely gunks up the MP but I guess that'd be the same either way.

I dropped mine onto asphalt soon after I got my original hopper. It landed button first from some height, turned on and was blue by the time I picked it up. Put a few tiny nicks in the Ti button, but internally everything seemed normal for a while.

I have cleaned every hopper that's broken on me (except one) shortly before failure. A few times I have heard IPA boil off the heater. Now I avoid using IPA inside the chamber, it's not really necessary (occasionally a tiny, tiny amount will be necessary depending on usage) but I would stress being ultra mega insane careful doing so. It could be coincidence, but the stats don't trend that way.

The other time I got sensor issues was during use with a 1ft whip attached. This creates back-flow unnoticeably and I would also stress being ultra mega insane careful with back-flow. It says in the user manual not to blow into the device, so if using the device not as designed, with a bong, whip, etc. be aware that back-flow is exactly the same thing, hard to detect and has to be actively avoided.
Switching the unit off mid-drag is a good way to minimise back-flow being catastrophic.

regarding cleaning the gh... I have soaked my mouthpiece in iso and cleaned with water... the mp is nowndrying since three days... I noticed yesterday when blowing in it that water ritnsed from the tip of mp... In my opinion water is trapped in mouthpuece between all the screen and so on... had problems with my hopper (cop lights) after cleaning and did only dry the mp for some hours... so I observed this time the mp and as I stated after two days drying it was still wet inside...

also the back draw could be a problem... but I want to mention that my gh user manuel does not say not to blow in the gh... but I know it was in earlier user manuels mentioned... and I never did it or would recommend it ...also after I realized that there is some back draw when using a bubbler or so I changed my ritual... As long as y7u breath in there should no back draw but if you stop breathing there is... so I am taking my gh from the bubbler before I stop or slowing my inhaling... so ther eshould no back draw...

MoltenTiger

I never looked at the user manual from my pre-order, but now have both it and my OG's open in-front of me.

That is interesting, I wonder why they removed it.
3. VAPORIZE
C. Inhale firmly through the mouthpiece. Your Grasshopper can keep up. DO NOT (sic) exhale into the vaporizer. This can damage the device.

The newer version says
3. VAPORIZE
C. Inhale firmly through the mouth piece. Your Grasshopper can keep up.
D. An auto-off feature will put your device in standby if more than 15 seconds elapses between draws.

There are other differences too; the text is +1pt, or it could just be a more bold font type.
There is CE and FCC certification now.
However, most interesting is the differences in the warranty column.

First paragraph, "original purchaser" is now simply "purchaser".
Third paragraph, "submerging the device in liquid while on," is now just "submerging the device in liquid,"

The last paragraphs are quite different;

"This warranty covers only the original purchaser of the device. The purchasing invoice must be kept to receive service.

The owner of the device is responsible for shipping it back to us for warranty service. Any shipping charges incurred by this are the responsibility of the owner.

To receive service you must contact service@grasshoppervape.com. In order to improve the device and future service, we ask that you explain the failure of your device in detail when submitting a request. Any request for service not processed through this contact will not be fulfilled."

Nowadays,

"In order to receive service you must create an account and register your grasshopper through ghvape.com. To complete registration you will need both the ID Code found on the outside of the box and the Serial number found on the back of the device.

Once you've registered your Grasshopper, a warranty request can then be submitted through Account>Your Grasshopper. Any requests for service not processed through this system will not be fulfilled. Once the device is registered, the warranty cannot be transferred.

The owner of the device is responsible for shipping in both directions during warranty service. Any shipping charges incurred are the responsibility of the owner."

That last bit I found most interesting... both ways?!

Last edited:

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
What's up Hopper Heads?

Been noticing if i leave my hopper(s) and batteries in the car in the cold weather, the battery acts like it is almost dead until warmed up. I know this will be a problem for me this winter. I work a midnight shift, and like to get outside for a Hopper puff or two during my shift. But if the batteries are too cold, i am left without being able to vape. Considering this device in made and designed in Colorodo i was hoping someone may have some tips, thoughts, or suggestions. Thus far i have been taking some batteries inside with me, and just bring them with me when i go outside. It works, but not ideal. Thoughts?

IAmKrazy2,
Reactions: vapen00b

JoeMama

I've dropped my 2 Ti's at least a few times, but mostly from lap-height to the floor, and mostly never a flat "whack" but a tumble-whackity-slide-bump (this is a highly technical term). So far, no issues.

A few times I have heard IPA boil off the heater.

Yep, that's a scary sound; it lasts about half-second, like a sizzle. As you said, definitely use a minimal amount of ISO and hold the hopper upside down. And don't "press" the cotton swab up into the screen, just wipe laterally. Concentrate most of the pressure on the sides.

I have soaked my mouthpiece in iso and cleaned with water... the mp is now drying since three days... I noticed yesterday when blowing in it that water rinsed from the tip of mp... In my opinion water is trapped in mouthpiece between all the screen and so on... had problems with my hopper (cop lights) after cleaning and did only dry the mp for some hours... so I observed this time the mp and as I stated after two days drying it was still wet inside...

3 days to dry?!

https://www.amazon.com/Dust-Off-Com...e=UTF8&qid=1479741269&sr=8-3&keywords=air+can

Make it 2 minutes. :cool:

MoltenTiger

What's up Hopper Heads?

Been noticing if i leave my hopper(s) and batteries in the car in the cold weather, the battery acts like it is almost dead until warmed up. I know this will be a problem for me this winter. I work a midnight shift, and like to get outside for a Hopper puff or two during my shift. But if the batteries are too cold, i am left without being able to vape. Considering this device in made and designed in Colorodo i was hoping someone may have some tips, thoughts, or suggestions. Thus far i have been taking some batteries inside with me, and just bring them with me when i go outside. It works, but not ideal. Thoughts?
The photography community use these chemical packet hand warmers to keep there lens from fogging up when out waiting for the Aurora in my parts.
You might be able to do similar with the batteries, though depending on the temperature, if you have a pocket close to the body this might be enough to keep the batts alive

Make it 2 minutes.
I was expecting a hair dryer :p

hold the hopper upside down
Beyond just this, which I always have done, I now avoid pressing a Q-tip to the chamber screen at all.
Last clean I did, I used a q-tip sprayed with IPA, so that it wasn't wet to the touch (I also tried not to press it into the screen), and I got the sickly sizzle on one hopper. The other hopper I used a paper napkin with a tiny bit of IPA and just wiped the walls avoiding the screen and it was all good.

Last edited:

btka

I have two ghs so not really a problem... but I thougt it would dry the lomgest in one day... normally using the gh should also dry it when the hot air is passing... but I was astonished that after one day, when I blew strongly in the mouthpiece and water rinsed out on the tip of the mp... but in my opinion water is hiding between all the screen copper and glass/plastic thing which are located in the front of the mp... also do not know if air can would help... I did blow several times in the mp also one and two days after cleaning mp an every time a little bit of water rinsed out the front of mp...
yeah a hair dryer could help... but as I stated before I have two ghs so no problem...

guyonthecouch

Are these things more reliable as of late? And is there a specific one that ships quicker? SS vs Ti?
Reliability seems to be better, and they're pre testing the units hardcore now prior to shipping. Not sure which would come faster. THC has both available in stock right meow. FYI prices are in Canadian dollars, after exchange SS is about $220 and Ti $275.

Stainless
http://torontohemp.com/products/gra...r-pen-size-vaporizer-first-retail-opportunity

Ti
http://torontohemp.com/products/gra...er-titanium-options-first-retail-availability

Bass Vaper

I sent the video as they requested, which showed me attaching the Hopper they "repaired" to a "brand new charger". The video clearly displays the charger not working on two of my Hoppers. I sent that email on 11/16. First reply back from the Labs came today "the video shows the USB port already plugged in when attaching the Hopper & charger. You need to attach the Hopper first, then plug in the USB port".

Yep. Some bang up cx svc right there, yo.

@SiDankies: "Are these things more reliable as of late". No, they're still pumping out dogshit. Recommend passing on it.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I sent the video as they requested, which showed me attaching the Hopper they "repaired" to a "brand new charger". The video clearly displays the charger not working on two of my Hoppers. I sent that email on 11/16. First reply back from the Labs came today "the video shows the USB port already plugged in when attaching the Hopper & charger. You need to attach the Hopper first, then plug in the USB port".

@SiDankies: "Are these things more reliable as of late". No, they're still pumping out dogshit. Recommend passing on it.
I have experienced this, though only occasionally, when attaching Hopper to charger and seeing it is not lighting up: I unplug the wall wart or the usb that's plugged in to the wall wart, re-plug, and the light goes to blinking red, for charging. I thought this was anomaly and so I continue to just attach to plugged in charger since most times that works.
I'm using an external charger 90% of the time....though I know you are trying to shoot vids of certain behaviors.

Bass Vaper

Cool, thx man. I've tried jut about every variance of plugging and unplugging. It's just a bunk charger. It'll blink once or twice as soon as it's plugged in then stops. Sometimes I can't even get it to blink at all.

ANY other business would have said "send it back, new one is on its way to you". But nope, not the cricket Labs. It's days of no response only to be told "now go try this". It's like I told them, I have nothing to gain by lying. I mean, why would I want to send back parts that work flawlessly. The fucking thing didn't work out of the box, like many other units. 22 warranty requests for this happy cx!

Mickey Mouse 101.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

OTOH, my two hoppers are still working flawlessly. Nothing dogshit about 'em.

Obviously, mileages vary and generalizing one's own individual experience (positive or negative) to the entirety of the company's output is rarely logically sound.

Bass Vaper

Ha! Fair enough, Dog. Maybe a little hasty in my frustrated response. Like I told the Lab, I was nice until the 9th warranty request. My composure is toast by now.

All I can do is share my experiences, which appear to share the same overall theme of "dogshit" as the posts from new Hopper users continues to grow.

In all sincerity, I'm glad your experience has been great. I'm envious.

ZC

I've been lucky as well. Very light use since I got it in July, but I've never had any real issues with my Hopper, aside from one of my batteries only lasting one bowl.

MoltenTiger

I have trouble switching my hoppers between the one charger ring, often I need to unplug and replug it to get it to work.

I've had my fun with a shitty charger and it cost me 30 bucks buying an in-store generic POS charger that ended up breaking too. The Xtar MC2 has held up so far after that.

I can't believe they didn't replace it on the spot for you after video evidence, if I were you I would do as they say and film it - prove to them it's not working still, and accompany it with a short and angry email.

22 warranty cases is intense.....
I've had a total of 6, 2x cop lights, 1x red then dead, 1x bunk charger (ended up working again though, but I can't use the GH with it, though it chargers), 1x stripped threads, 1x dodgy back-end
Which is plenty. It has never been a hassle to deal with any of the issues except the cop lights (sesh enders) for me, but I've never had to send a video. And especially, if I did and they just dismissed it, I'd be pretty pissed off. I hope you have some better luck with your hoppers from now on.

JoeMama

I have two ghs so not really a problem... but I thougt it would dry the lomgest in one day... normally using the gh should also dry it when the hot air is passing... but I was astonished that after one day, when I blew strongly in the mouthpiece and water rinsed out on the tip of the mp... but in my opinion water is hiding between all the screen copper and glass/plastic thing which are located in the front of the mp... also do not know if air can would help... I did blow several times in the mp also one and two days after cleaning mp an every time a little bit of water rinsed out the front of mp...
yeah a hair dryer could help... but as I stated before I have two ghs so no problem...

Insert the tube of the air-can into the MP hole. This will blast air through the screen via the little plastic tunnel, thereby rendering water molecules defenseless and they will have to vacate the assembly entirely. Then, place the MP upside-down (large side down) on a paper towel.

First reply back from the Labs came today "the video shows the USB port already plugged in when attaching the Hopper & charger. You need to attach the Hopper first, then plug in the USB port".
I have experienced this, though only occasionally, when attaching Hopper to charger and seeing it is not lighting up: I unplug the wall wart or the usb that's plugged in to the wall wart, re-plug, and the light goes to blinking red, for charging. I thought this was anomaly and so I continue to just attach to plugged in charger since most times that works.

Wha huh? Is this some universally touted secret of USB connectivity? I do believe you, of course... and I may even think I remember having the same experience with using a USB cable... but I never chalked it up to anything other than an anomaly as well.

Anomaly aside, I gotta call bullshit on the very idea, though:

I have a charger "permanently" plugged into my car's USB port in the console. It stays covered by the armrest and is enclosed, so it's a great spot for quicky-charging when I'm tooling around. I've plugged it in a hundred times at least. And each time I wait for the red light to do its flashing thing before I'm satisfied to move on.

Cool, thx man. I've tried jut about every variance of plugging and unplugging. It's just a bunk charger. It'll blink once or twice as soon as it's plugged in then stops. Sometimes I can't even get it to blink at all.

ANY other business would have said "send it back, new one is on its way to you". But nope, not the cricket Labs. It's days of no response only to be told "now go try this". It's like I told them, I have nothing to gain by lying. I mean, why would I want to send back parts that work flawlessly. The fucking thing didn't work out of the box, like many other units. 22 warranty requests for this happy cx!

Mickey Mouse 101.

Bass, like all of us here, I'm really sorry you've had this experience... While some of us (myself included) have had relatively few instances of needing Warranty help, I know that I'm pensive about the day I need it. Having had immediate issues with my 2 Ti's, being 4 months now, I'm sort of expecting it.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Wha huh? Is this some universally touted secret of USB connectivity? I do believe you, of course... and I may even think I remember having the same experience with using a USB cable... but I never chalked it up to anything other than an anomaly as well.

Anomaly aside, I gotta call bullshit on the very idea, though:

I have a charger "permanently" plugged into my car's USB port in the console. It stays covered by the armrest and is enclosed, so it's a great spot for quicky-charging when I'm tooling around. I've plugged it in a hundred times at least. And each time I wait for the red light to do its flashing thing before I'm satisfied to move on.
Most people are going to go for convenience, myself included so I leave the wall wart plugged in "permanently" and the thingy in the 'ol cigarette lighter ('scuse me, power outlet) stays in for the phones or just whatever.
I used to have a Crafty that charged thru usb and went back to look;
Crafty Manual:
"Connect the USB cable to the charging socket of the Vaporizer and to the power adapter. Then plug the power adapter into a suitable power socket.
Once the charging operation is complete, first disconnect the power adapter from the mains socket and then unplug from the Vaporizer."
I always (and still do) took this to be a cover their-butt safety precaution, and I wouldn't be surprised if in general a lot of usb charging instruction followed this order. Do I follow this order? not usually!

Gotta be frustrating for @Bass Vaper though. Catch 22! There's always a catch.

I just received a new replacement Back End, that was 3rd warranty "on that purchase." I can't really say "on that original Hopper", cause all's left original is the mouthpiece!
I waited for it to be back so I could use it to verify a bad Body on my Ti that failed last week. Tested and yes, Ti Body is bad so I've just initiated request number 4 on this one.
My feelings for HL don't come anywhere near the sentiments of @Bass Vaper (I love those folks!) but I can sure relate.

Top Bottom