Discontinued The Grasshopper

btka

Any reason why the blue lights flicker even with new batteries? I thought it was supposed to signify battery getting low.

Also, I've discovered that if I screw the mouthpiece on lightly, the GH doesn't make that clicking/arcing noise. If I screw it on tight, the noise is quite loud. I wonder why?

when I have blue flickering lights with a newq battery I turn the temp dial forth and back fast then it stops...

btka,

sag

Hello guys new member here! Been a long time reader but never bothered to join. Well I got my SS grasshopper and I have to admit it works great but I don't like vaporizing I guess. The flavor is so strong I really don't like it. Only tried it twice so its still virtually new.

I don't like my hopper as much as I thought I would. I used a poke a toke for 30 years and was hoping to replace that with the hopper. It comes close but not the same. Don't give up on vaping. There are many good devices to choose from especially if you don't mind being plugged into the power grid.

sag,

f2j

Chaque jour est une chance
Any reason why the blue lights flicker even with new batteries? I thought it was supposed to signify battery getting low.

Also, I've discovered that if I screw the mouthpiece on lightly, the GH doesn't make that clicking/arcing noise. If I screw it on tight, the noise is quite loud. I wonder why?
I think it may be the temp ring that is tilting very slightly in the body.
Just like Lahey explains :The Grasshopper
Sadly we can't see the video now

Last edited:
f2j,

JoeMama

Yes, it does mean that the battery is getting low, but it does also mean what @guyonthecouch said very succinctly (I LOVE that username!):

Blue lights flickering seem to go away after cleaning backend threading(on the body as well), the battery terminals and the batteries themselves. You'll notice a blackish residue. Keeping an eye on these areas can help with battery performance and should eliminate the flickering. I've also noticed that cleaning the bowl threads helps as well. Not sure if it's part of the design or not but it seems as if the flickering blue lights means it's time for a good cleaning.

And it also means this:

when I have blue flickering lights with a new battery I turn the temp dial forth and back fast then it stops...

The Temp dial thing is a known recurrent issue that everyone experiences and seems to be able to mitigate hot backends and flickering blues. The blue flickering is meant to signify the status of the battery, but in fact it signifies the apparent status of the battery. Because of these factors of oxidation on the battery compartment threads, and temp dial "temperament", there is a direct effect on the "battery status" as it's presented by the flickering blues.

This, however, makes no sense to me at all. Not sayin' I don't believe ya, 'course.. Maybe it's a "cavity resonance" thing. Like listening to "dead air" through an empty paper towel roll (or a seashell). I dunno. I'm high AF and diggin' on having a few days' of downtime ahead of me.

Last edited:

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
This, however, makes no sense to me at all. Not sayin' I don't believe ya, 'course.. Maybe it's a "cavity resonance" thing. Like listening to "dead air" through an empty paper towel roll (or a seashell). I dunno. I'm high AF and diggin' on having a few days' of downtime ahead of me.

Nice summary, Joe. As for the resonance thing, you may be HAF, but I'm not and I had the same thought.

:shrug:

I will say this, though. I have yet to hear any clicking on either of my hoppers. I doubt I got the only two hoppers that never chirp, so I can only assume that - and get depressed by - my hearing is even more compromised by abuse and age than I thought.

Or maybe I'm having too much fun to notice my hoppers talking to me.

JoeMama

Nice summary, Joe. As for the resonance thing, you may be HAF, but I'm not and I had the same thought.

:shrug:

I will say this, though. I have yet to hear any clicking on either of my hoppers. I doubt I got the only two hoppers that never chirp, so I can only assume that - and get depressed by - my hearing is even more compromised by abuse and age than I thought.

Or maybe I'm having too much fun to notice my hoppers talking to me.

Haha! Yeah, that's kinda weird. ya WEIRDO! :lol:

So I have noticed that - as I'm still on my first round of 6 batteries since Mid-July - the ticking sound is much less prominent.... when I can hear it at all. I can't be 100% sure, but I'd say that the ticking is present all the time it's getting up to temp, but sometimes it's quite pronounced. It's also a bit elusive because I think the way it's cupped in a hand, or in some other way in a position more set up to resonate (egad, there's that thought again!) in its surrounding space.

Anyway, point is, I'm more of the opinion now that the "volume" of the ticking is related to battery stooch. Yes, stooch.

I'm siitting here grinding some flavors, using a freshly cleaned Ti, and watching the South Park Thanksgiving marathon. Talk about guilty pleasures. :D

Purple Lava Lamp

while we consider items for the hopper... I started using one of these for carrying emergency stash. Watertight, It holds a good amount, enough to last me at least 2 days, and it's so innocuous that I bet it would even fly through "tricky spots" while traveling.
I used to use one of those the same way, and it was good for all the reasons you mentioned, except the last one... in my experience, that thing raised suspicion among security / doormen more often than not. They'd look inside and either tell me to go put it in my car or confiscate/trash it. This would happen at concert venues and clubby-type bars usually. And Laker games. But that was a few years ago... maybe it will be OK now that recreational use is legal here?

Purple Lava Lamp,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hello guys new member here! Been a long time reader but never bothered to join. Well I got my SS grasshopper and I have to admit it works great but I don't like vaporizing I guess. The flavor is so strong I really don't like it. Only tried it twice so its still virtually new.
Welcome.
Hopper is simple to operate, yet after several months I find I'm still toying with different ways to use it. (It can be really efficient with small amounts, for one)
What other cannabis experience are you comparing to?
I agree with the sentiment that vaporizing can be an aquired taste. Who loved tobacco on their first draw of a cigarette? At the same time, I believe vaporizing can deliver a far better taste than combusting, truer to the smell of flower in hand. Lower temps., as controlled by a vape, can really enhance and bring out subtleties of flavor that combustion just annihilates.

I wonder if the strength of taste you feel could be from heat, which Hopper is famous for and some folks have found unpleasant. There are ways of mitigating that.

My first day with a vaporizer was a profound experience after 4 decades of joints and pipes. I had stopped tobacco a couple of years prior. In 3-1/2 now years I've combusted about 3 times and it tastes like firepit ash.

****The other area I think worth taking stock of is the effect itself. Is that part happening for you? Again, there are nuances to the effect that make it qualitatively different from the combusting 'high'. Someone new to vaping might want or tend to consume a lot more material in pursuit of something more like effect from combustion. The downsides to combusted high (what's actually happening!) might be a topic to explore.****

It may be that you are aware of these considerations, so I apologize if I'm lecturing.

There has been a recurring theme in this thread, the "Wow, I've been doing it wrong!" post.
Lots of people have this revelation, some have it repeatedly! There seem to be a lot of newly found 'right' ways.

Obviously my suggestion is to keep trying, unless of course frustration overcomes need/desire and it's not fun.

-----------------------------------------------------
So, today we in US are gonna try to look across the table into the eyes of our friends and relatives and all be thankful for, well, even that is debatable. I'm not sure we'll even all agree that being alive is worthy of feeling gratitude about, atm.

As WE are ruthlessly injuring Native peoples at Standing Rock with attack dogs, water cannons, rubber bullets and teargas, we'll ironically try to remember our fading fictitious First Thanksgiving narrative...

There's also a positive spin for Turkey Day, but you won't hear it from me. Though I will be spreading as much love as I can to my friends and relatives, as a National Holiday it totally sucks this time around.

Two years ago at the market I was awarded a free turkey, based on my shopping volume. I gave the free turkey/slip to the cashier and asked that, next year, they please pardon one on my behalf.

splitz

Here's a close up of my hopper/batts in said case.

2cibseo.jpg

The elastics are a little tight (at first) but a days use loosens them up. YMMV but I love this thing!

Ah, it's no big deal, but thanks, Hogni...

I already put the thing away for a time when it'll be gifted to someone...

The thing with the elastic loops inside is that they are all uneven (different diameters). Those loops cannot be "merged" with each other. They are each sewn in place. Now, not using those loops, the Hopper just sits under that leather band, and the hopper clip goes over it, as shown in the original pic. But in reality, the hopper clip doesn't "grab" anything, so it slides away from its place. Granted that when it's zipped shut, Hopper isn't going anywhere. But the thing is for pencils and pens.

If I get a chance later, I'll try snapping a couple more pics for you.

Onward!

JoeMama

Well, Shut my mouth! :clap:

Even so, I will say that the loops in the case aren't all "even", some are smaller than others; in my case, they are impossibly tight. No worries, it's a GREAT pencil case.:peace:

JoeMama,
Reactions: moondog

snorcan

Stay charged, my friends
Hey folks! Just awaiting my ti shipment, yay! Considering an anodized version, how prone to marks or scratches is the dark grey or purple? Just curious about your collective experience and observations. Thanks!

snorcan,

Purple Lava Lamp

from what I've gathered, it seems that GH Labs ran out of batteries over a month ago, and that's why they haven't actually shipped any Grasshoppers or spare battery orders in that time.

So on this Thanksgiving, I hope that all of you who were able to get your hands on some GHB2s before they were all gone are feeling thankful.... the rest of us will likely be waiting until 2017

Purple Lava Lamp,

LavitaGio

from what I've gathered, it seems that GH Labs ran out of batteries over a month ago, and that's why they haven't actually shipped any Grasshoppers or spare battery orders in that time.

So on this Thanksgiving, I hope that all of you who were able to get your hands on some GHB2s before they were all gone are feeling thankful.... the rest of us will likely be waiting until 2017
Somebody posted that HL informed them that theyre getting a new shipment of batteries next week

JoeMama

I used to use one of those the same way, and it was good for all the reasons you mentioned, except the last one... in my experience, that thing raised suspicion among security / doormen more often than not. They'd look inside and either tell me to go put it in my car or confiscate/trash it. This would happen at concert venues and clubby-type bars usually. And Laker games. But that was a few years ago... maybe it will be OK now that recreational use is legal here?
Sorry, Purple, just saw your post...

I should have clarified that there is always a risk, of course. In the case of carrying a gram or two in those fobs, the typical "risk" is that they'll confiscate it or refuse you entry, etc.

In the case, however, of having the bad luck of being a generally suspicious-looking character who has all eyes on him, it may need a better hiding place! :shrug:

JoeMama,
Reactions: moondog

Purple Lava Lamp

Somebody posted that HL informed them that theyre getting a new shipment of batteries next week
Yes, but remember that whenever GHLabs gives a timeframe estimate, you have to multiply it by 8.72 to get the real timeframe... so when they say they'll have them next week, they really mean they'll have them in about two and a half months

Sorry, Purple, just saw your post...

I should have clarified that there is always a risk, of course. In the case of carrying a gram or two in those fobs, the typical "risk" is that they'll confiscate it or refuse you entry, etc.

In the case, however, of having the bad luck of being a generally suspicious-looking character who has all eyes on him, it may need a better hiding place! :shrug:

Yeah, I should clarify that was just with the thing hanging off my keychain, not being hidden or stashed away in any way. I would forget that it was even on there most of the time

Purple Lava Lamp,
Reactions: JoeMama

sk8man121

Frozen_Vaporent
Hey guys, I've been wanting to grab a Grasshopper for a while and haven't bit the bullet to get on the loooooong waiting list. Now seeing that it's being listed for retail sale here — http://torontohemp.com/products/gra...r-pen-size-vaporizer-first-retail-opportunity

Total cost including shipping comes to $227 US for the stainless, which is really only $50 more than what it's being sold for from Hopper Labs. Is anyone familiar with this company? They're saying that warranties will be honored.

Going to pull the trigger if people can claim legitimacy here.

sk8man121,
Reactions: slcbdco

Office_Printer

Hey guys, I've been wanting to grab a Grasshopper for a while and haven't bit the bullet to get on the loooooong waiting list. Now seeing that it's being listed for retail sale here — http://torontohemp.com/products/gra...r-pen-size-vaporizer-first-retail-opportunity

Total cost including shipping comes to $227 US for the stainless, which is really only $50 more than what it's being sold for from Hopper Labs. Is anyone familiar with this company? They're saying that warranties will be honored.

About $15-20 cheaper from vapefiend. Fast/free shipping. Although mine has been stuck in US customs for a few days. Was supposed to be delivered 11/23.

guyonthecouch

I got a Stainless from THC a few weeks ago. Liked it so much picked up a purp ti. Yes, they're legit. Warranty is covered through Hopper.

About $15-20 cheaper from vapefiend. Fast/free shipping. Although mine has been stuck in US customs for a few days. Was supposed to be delivered 11/23.
Think you miss calculated your exchange rates, it's actually $25 (US) cheaper at Torontohemp.com

Office_Printer

I got a Stainless from THC a few weeks ago. Liked it so much picked up a purp ti. Yes, they're legit. Warranty is covered through Hopper.

Think you miss calculated your exchange rates, it's actually $25 (US) cheaper at Torontohemp.com
According to google:

$299.95 CAD= $221.77 USD
£165.83 = $206.81 USD

You do not have to pay the 20% VAT when shipping from UK to US.

guyonthecouch

Aaaaaand purchased. Stoked on this! I've been loving my new Firewood 4 but couldn't pass up the opportunity to add this to my arsenal.

Any tips right out of the box?
I'd recommend an ISO wipe down opposed to a traditional burn off. I did a bunch of dry runs with my Stainless Steel but realized that it wasn't really necessary. A quick qtip scrub of the chamber and the screen covering the heater to clean off any debris/dust. I wiped off all of the threads as well, you'll see some black oil type residue. This blackish stuff will build up and needs a wipe every now and then. Keep the battery ends clean as well as the battery terminals.
Fully charge your battery and you're ready to rock :rockon:

What model did you go with?

Let me know what you think of the Hopper vs. the FW4 in terms of flavour when you get yours. I've been eyein up an FW for some time now.. heard they're top notch for flav. Hopper out of glass is scrumptious!!

Last edited:

sk8man121

Frozen_Vaporent
What model did you go with?

I ended up going with the standard stainless steel model to save a few bucks. Curious as to whether it operates the same as titanium?

Will definitely report vs. FW4. The FW4 is a great little vape, but one of the things I'm noticing is that it's better suited for sessions vs. 1 or 2 really fast, big hits within 30 seconds while on the go. I picked it up looking for the latter, which is slightly disappointing (and led to my Grasshopper purchase), but doesn't take away from the vape's excellent flavor at low temps, ability to cash load fully over a 10 minute session on low temps, insanely cool design and natural feel.

I haven't used a Hopper yet or even encountered one in the wild, but my assumption is that there's room for both. I'll let ya know.

mulciber

The FW4 is a great little vape, but one of the things I'm noticing is that it's better suited for sessions vs. 1 or 2 really fast, big hits within 30 seconds while on the go. I picked it up looking for the latter, which is slightly disappointing

For what you're after, my finding is that you simply can't do better than the Grasshopper. It reads your mind in that department. Good luck with it.

Top Bottom