1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

My hopper and I just got back from a 3D matinee of Dr. Strange. Nothin' goes better with some kickass vaping than some mastery of the mystic arts. I'm hoping the theater staff finds my eyeballs and mails them to me soon. Lots of fun!! Especially since I was the only one in the theater - my idea of heaven.

As the previews start I pull out my hopper with a MFLB stem in the silicon condom. Click it on and 5 seconds later I'm "putting on my 3D glasses" before I even open the plastic wrap on the ones they gave me on the way in; clicking merrily on and off as I take my hits. As I'm pulling my third (or was it fourth?) hit, an usher comes in to do that "security walk" up and down each aisle. Didn't expect him quite that early. Don't know what he saw as he walked in behind me, but when I noticed him at the end of my aisle I just slipped my hand loosely around the lights, clicked it off and dropped my hand to my lap. If he saw anything, it obviously didn't bother him. Once he left I resumed. Finished off another couple of hits, tucked the hopper back into my pocket, and enjoyed the show.

So yeah, those little lights are pretty bright in a dark theater. For propriety's sake I'll be working a bit more on my stealth mode for those kinds of situations. I had brought my Smoke Buddy filter with me but wasn't using it since I was alone. Again, if he smelled anything, he didn't react.

Thcgos, BD9, VegNVape and 10 others like this.
  2. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

For @Bass Vaper , I'd like to add to this sage piece of info on MP removal...
    Do not press down any more than is necessary to keep the tweezers in play. I learned on my first MP removal that this will "dent" the screen somewhat. Sure, it's sturdy enough, but I was pressing to keep the tweezers locked in the holes. In fact, almost "neutral" pressure is best. Likewise when screwing it back in.

Finally, to offer a further tip, I find it easiest to place the MP on a tabletop, holding the MP with one hand and, with the other, hold the tweezers STILL, and rotate the MP itself. I find more control that way and don't have to rotate the tweezers, which is less stable.

I did Dr. Strange last week on opening night (mistake!); so I had to Hop before I walked in.
    But when I saw The Machine on Saturday, we were sitting right behind one of the smoke machines. :brow:

VegNVape, Bass Vaper, Mr. Me2 and 4 others like this.
  3. duff

duff Well worn

I do hate the lights. I hope they think them out in a future iteration.

MoltenTiger, Vapor_Eyes and moondog like this.
  4. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

I should get my FW4 tomorrow. I love my SS and Ti GH's but if you chase flavor, the FW3 kicks ass. Nothing I have can touch it. But, it's a totally different experience from the GH and they complement each other.

5. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

15,000 Hoppers in the wild is an exciting number.
    And they've managed to turn around warranty requests for me consistently within a couple days, sometimes same day. This is an indication that they are either doing much better with QC or have hired a crazy number of repair techs. I believe the first is more accurate.
    Of course, my experience of "consistently" handled requests has come from 6 different failures of two hoppers in 3-1/2 months. But if they had a couple hundred there in the Hopper Hospital that would be more apparent in the turnaround.

I want to give a shout out to some members over at the Fuck You!!! thread. (Were I there I'd have phrased that differently) Brilliant concept and though I've known of it for a long time I hadn't posted there. Chimed in once the other day and felt immediately GREAT. http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/fuck-you.10554/

MoltenTiger likes this.
  6. Hammahead

Hammahead Well-Known Member

- Day-umm... there we go. Hoppy kicked the bucket on this weekend. PoPo lights got constantly on, that was it. Made it clear what the issue was: temp sensor. Registered my warranty request sunday and was told yesterday they'd send me a new body and I should send in the broken one when I get the new. Makes me think maybe I should have made the request when it was till (mostly) working.

7. Bass Vaper

Bass Vaper Well-Known Member

Thx man. They don't do refunds. They have not offered to cover any shipping. They did replace two mouthpieces for me and gave me free leather case a year ago. I did thank them for that.

They asked me to send a video showing the new charger not working, so I did. Once I get these working well enough where I don't feel like I'm selling someone a lemon of a used car, I'll get rid of them. Hopefully they will honor the warranty if sold, but I don't think they do. So I'm prob stuck with them.

Thx for the advice and tips though, fellas. Nice to get some love somewhere

My buddy got his FW4, way too many parts for my taste. It seemed fine though. Didn't care for the actual wood mouthpiece and little straw thingy sticking out. Seemed like it was a slobber fest.

Thcgos, vapen00b, mephisto and 5 others like this.
  8. Hoey420

Hoey420 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

On my way home from work, can't help myself when I saw this 420 bemmer :)

tx93budsmane, OMEiAM, Thcgos and 12 others like this.
  9. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Does anybody know something about the state of release of the SS-case?

vapen00b and Hjalmark like this.
  10. vapen00b

vapen00b ZION,Tubo,MVT,Helios,SBJ,GH,VC,Mi,FW4...

I think it's like the leather sleeves... It's done when it's done. It's a never ending joke - humor is a pretty subjective thing :rolleyes:

11. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Cant understand what should be so difficult with this item. So many customers want to have one and are waiting for it such a long time. Of course they have a lot of work and troubles alone with the Hoppers. But to develope and produce this case cant be rocket science. Just want to understand it!?

MoltenTiger, vapen00b and Hjalmark like this.
  12. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

I've tried (no, really, I have) to come up with some reasons for the delay on the leather case... the best reason I could come up with is that Caroline is Vegan and she's putting up a fight about genuine versus imitation leather.

13. mephisto

mephisto Well-Known Member

Well maybe Caroline is anti-onboard charging as well. I ordered the new generation charger 3 weeks ago. It must be shipping in the same package as my stainless steel case, with oils front end, and leather sleeve.
    Give the people what they want, or at least honor a refund if you are not producing these other items.

Getting the cop lights on my Ti hopper. Fiddling with the switch, ramping temp up and down, and swapping batteries has kept me going, but for how long?

14. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Well-Known Member

I had a dream last night I got the hopper but it was 9 feet long and around 60 kilos, weirdly enough the guy in the post office handed me it without packing and one handed, I asked if there were any batteries and he just told me "are you really ready for that? "

Yeah fever dreams go well with my week long fever, couple of nights before I dreamt my daughter bought a hoddie that the hud was a unicorn head that kept calling me a bitch . . .

15. vapviking

Cops lights can be one of two things, one needs repair, the other is overheat warning. See trouble shooting guide on website under Information.
    When I had it there was no coming back, no intermittent working/not. I had to get a new body.

16. Purple Lava Lamp

Purple Lava Lamp Active Member

I call bullshit on the "closing in on all of the preorders" :cuss:

17. mephisto

mephisto Well-Known Member

Thanks @vapviking I will check the site, still have my SS in case this(Ti) goes for real.
    @Hjalmark wait until you get years past these dreams and they come back to you without the fever.
    Imprinting indeed.

vapen00b and Hjalmark like this.
  18. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

It's a fairly large window to be on the latter half of.

These guys and their wording, always painting a pretty picture out of pipe dreams. A bit of slack materialised lesser quality. Raw design is appreciable, business is best dirty.

Vapor_Eyes likes this.
  19. Hammahead

Hammahead Well-Known Member

After my experience (^^ a little up this thread) I'd recommend to watch their video on blue/red lights in their troubleshoot section. If it looks like the second part, open a warranty request describing the problem and referring to the video. In my case they sent a new body right away and request me to return my part when the replacement arrives. I had waited for the hopper to die down, but I guess when it's starting to coplight now and then, even though you can revive it for a couple days with the usual voodoo, it's going to die anyway. So I'd have had a good chance not to run without Hoppy. *sigh*

Welcome to the wonderful world of brand marketing ;)

20. Purple Lava Lamp

Purple Lava Lamp Active Member

All you guys who are too scared to use your hopper feeders now, feel free to send them to me. I'm loving mine and would love to have a couple extra to have for different strains!

21. SourT

SourT New Member

Have those feeders gone back on sale yet? It's been sold out for quite sometime, but I see another like it but the seller has 0 feedback, so yeah.

Hjalmark likes this.
  22. Jealousy

Jealousy Active Member

Just got a new Grasshopper from warranty. Only downside is that the new one has few cosmetic problems and the heat- dial makes an awful sound when turning. Might get better in time though :)

The new Hopper seems to be made from 3 different batches of steel, as the finish is different on each piece. This itself isn't too bad, but the mouthpiece doesn't fit the middlepart properly. Other side is a bit thicker than the other, so it leaves a sharp edge between the two. The hole Hopper now looks much more unfinished product and cheaply made as you can clearly see the parts not matching on looks or the edges.

My first hopper felt and looked like a premium product, but with this unit I must say that the quality doesn't impress :D Have to wait and see if this holds up in use. Got the new style charger also.

PS. Warranty was handled really fast and really well by @VapoShop ! Thank you!

23. vapviking

Was this handled by Hopper Labs in US, or pretty much completely overseas?
    With six repairs thru HL, I haven't had a whole new hopper yet, always a new part; almost always a body. One Ti body had a teeny scratch but others have all seemed new and nicely matched. Something different is on it's way to me now, newly replaced back end with new serial and apparently my original body & mp(?). I'm curious to see if they replaced the working charger I sent with the new version.

24. travis

travis Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a good method of cleaning under the heating dial? I squirted some IPA with an eye dropper and I could see some dark material flow out. After the cleaning, my battery life greatly improved. Prior to the cleaning I was only getting about 5 hits per battery. Now it's 10+. One downside was that the IPA probably got in the clicker mechanism and made it a little rough (less lubricated???). However it is back to normal the next day (IPA all dried up???).
    So for mine it seems like the heating ring is a trouble spot for oxidation. I clean my threads regularly with IPA and blutac.
    I was thinking of wetting some yarn or string with IPA and flossing the gap under the ring but I don't want any string to break off and get stuck in there.

Side note... does anybody's heat dial rock from side to side? Mine has a 0.1mm gap that can be "rocked when I ouch on one side then the opposite side. It feels like a magnet is pulling down on it when I rock it. I also notice that I get less flickering (better battery life) when it is rocked (no gap) on one particular side vs the other.

JoeMama and Hjalmark like this.
  25. Jealousy

Jealousy Active Member

It was handled by Vaposhop.com . They have really nice customer service, but the product clearly still needs some fine tuning on quality/build- control.

Vapor_Eyes likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors