Discontinued The Grasshopper

grokit

well-worn member
@paytonpenn maybe running yours at level 5 all the time has broken something down, in the circuitry or the battery for example. I started at 3.5, went to 4 right after that, and haven't changed my level since.

grokit,

nonbeliever

this latest replacement unit has been running like a champ for over a week now. Woohoo!

Something different I've noticed between this unit and the previous ones... I'm getting a better roast at around position 3.8 than on 5 on the temp dial. The earlier ones I was always using at setting 5. With this one, I started at 5, but actually noticed what @paytonpenn was inferring... I found the first hit or two flavorful, but pretty quickly stopped being tasty and more charred or, at least a lot less flavorful. I also found that the vaped flower was no where near as toasted looking with this unit at 5. I decided to try lower temperatures, and have found that around 3.8, it's flavorful much longer. More interestingly however, the flower is much more coffee colored (or cooked toast), similar to what I was used to from the previous units. Don't know if it is because I'm milking it longer at 3.8, or maybe there is something different in the new design units versus the older ones?

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
@paytonpenn maybe running yours at level 5 all the time has broken something down, in the circuitry or the battery for example. I started at 3.5, went to 4 right after that, and haven't changed my level since.
For all 3 units, maybe. But that sounds like a huge issue especially if it's consistent with three Hoppers.

Flavor isn't awful but it's not pure. I can definitely taste that it was a Hopper I was using. Its just the taste of heated metal becomes present when taking long extended hits on the highest setting.

Agreed. Very subjective. And effected greatly by how clean the device is too IMO, so most vapes surprise me after that deep clean.
I'm pretty OCD I keep my pieces clean, my Hoppers can't be cleaner.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
@paytonpenn - how dry was the herb you were camping. I did a comparison of some stickier herb and some fairly dry herb this evening. The drier herb was far less flavorful, in fact, almost harsh. They were the same strain.
Flavor of herb doesn't matter if that negative flavor is present without herbs and unrelated to the herbs. I also use concentrates.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I am surprised to hear that the battery area is not completely sealed...especially since GHL at one point said they were really proud of their air path...
I don't think it's much concern since the backend is blocked when you insert a battery, then "sealed" when you put the dial back on. I could understand not wanting users to blow into it.

Since the battery and dial block airflow you'll face an awfully tight draw with the air inlets covered.

Mr. Niceguy

I just tested this with battery inserted and back end put on. I covered the air holes with tape.
The draw is tight, but not awfully tight. I would say a little bit more restricted airflow than drawing a cigarette.
So yes, a little bit of the air you inhale goes through the battery chamber before entering the heater.

Kaptan

I just tested this with battery inserted and back end put on. I covered the air holes with tape.
The draw is tight, but not awfully tight. I would say a little bit more restricted airflow than drawing a cigarette.
So yes, a little bit of the air you inhale goes through the battery chamber before entering the heater.
If there is any air at all coming from the back, it is negligible. Air will always follow the path of least resistance, therefore, most of the air will come from the intake holes as long as they are not blocked.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker

I don't think that's a very fair assumption. Yes you closed off the air path and yes you are able to leak some air into the chamber via some unknown air leak in the bottom of the vapor path.

But it's important to remember that air follows the path of least resistance. When the air holes are not blocked, it's safe to assume air will flow through those holes into the heater. The only time when additional airflow through whatever air leaks you discovered may happen is when you inhale faster than air can flow through the existing intake holes (typically past the point of the holes whistling when the drag resistance noticeably increases).

Under normal circumstances, I personally don't believe any air is flowing anywhere around the batteries/electronics.

But then again, I also suspect this vaporizer was designed to be used for 1-2 dry puffs. I don't feel it was originally made to be used through water (which typically requires substantially more energy than a quick short dry hit).

herbalist33

Jeez I can't believe I'm still checking this thread- I cancelled my preorder so I could get back to my normal life, but still find myself coming back to see if they've ironed out the kinks yet.

One thing to think about regarding the air path through the battery chamber: if some air is indeed being drawn from the back end, it's concerning regarding the 'glue' that holds the back end together, and the fact that it's been failing prematurely (most likely with units that suffer the hot back end issue). So basically I'd be concerned that if your backend is getting hot that you also might be heating (and breathing) glue.

Also it would be interesting to know if Payton's back end is getting hot, because perhaps there are components in the backend which are not designed to withstand high heat, and perhaps that would explain the 'metallic' background taste... Just a thought

Bass Vaper

After getting back to the Pro these last few days, I almost think I'm starting to favor it over Hop, Skip, & Jump. Easier to hit, bigger (or as big) clouds with the Pro on 1, flavor is not as good all the way thru but its as good for most of the session, and no turning it on and off every hit.

Understandable as the Hopper is more a one hit vape vs session, but still. I always have a hard time finding something that beats the Pro all out.

I am still jazzed to get my Hoppity Hop Hop tho.

Bass Vaper,
I loved my pro as well until a couple months ago when the top piece broke off while removing my mouthpiece. I had it for over two years so my warranty has expired and I just can't bring myself to by another one with so many newer vapes out. I still use the pinnacle shower tool with my crafty and that works out well, but with my grasshopper order date being in June I probably will not be seeing that until February even though when I inquired with GHL they told me December :disgust:

MoneyVapeTheWorldGoRound,
Reactions: Bass Vaper
Top Bottom