1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Riverpeth

Riverpeth New Member

Tiny88 likes this.
  2. Tiny88

Tiny88 Deluxe420

@Riverpeth
    - Haven't had any major issues with it; only thing was sometimes I would get tiny molecules of weed in my mouth. It was an easy fix, I just put a screen on top of the bowl.

3. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

A little while ago someone asked if FF were going to be updating the app, and/or adding any new features. Looks like testing on a new version of the app will begin next week, with what appears to be several new features and enhancements. I'll know more once I get my hands on the beta version but hopefully this'll go smoothly and be rolled out to everyone sooner rather than later.

Anyway the good news is a new version of the app is coming. :)

turk, kcmochris, KidFated. and 2 others like this.
  4. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

What SDK was used for the present version?

5. mitchgo61

I have no idea. I can try to find out.....

6. mitchgo61

Things have been pretty quiet in FF land for months now so I was happy to get the beta of the new app to test. It contains a few big changes, eg:

1. A slider with increments of 10 degrees F or 5 degrees C. You can now dial in nearly the exact temp you want.
    2. The temps themselves are apparently more accurate.
    3. The green "ready" light pulses every time you touch the buttons now. You get like two pulses and then it's ready to hit. That first hit is much faster.
    4. You can draw for a shorter period of time, 7-8 seconds instead of 10, and get the same amount of vapor.
    5. The app experience is a bit streamlined....you get an immediate "connect' screen when you open the app.

Overall, after playing with it for a day, I found this update to be quite helpful. It doesn't change the essential way the FF2 operates, but it gives you more control. I did a session starting at 380, and got at least 8 great hits before stirring and temp-stepping. I eventually cranked it up to 460, two notches into the "concentrate" zone, without combustion. I achieved something like full extraction this way and only got the overheating RED LED once in the session, towards the end.

I didn't notice much in the way of bugs in this version, so hopefully it'll be in general release soon. The temp slider is an excellent and very useful new feature...I'm not really sure how it interacts with the other ways you can set the temp (like the "calibration" slider), but I suspect given the way it works that it just supersedes the other settings. IE the only temp control you need to play with is the slider, if you like it. (The one downside is that once again you need the app to get to this great feature, and without it, you're just sitting at whatever temp you last set.)

Great update that should make folks pretty happy who've wanted more exact, and more correctly labelled temp control. Here's a shot of the slider screen:

[​IMG]

lluiscat, turk, Mad_Max and 8 others like this.
  7. Tiny88

Tiny88 Deluxe420

Do you happen to know when the update will be released?

Thanx

8. mitchgo61

I don't. Beta testing just started yesterday, so a couple weeks at least I would think. I can see if I can get more info....

turk and Tiny88 like this.
  9. kcmochris

kcmochris Active Member

This is AWESOME. The temp slider raised it up a notch (no more guessing game, yay).

Thanks @mitchgo61 !!!!

Any better readings for the batteries? Kind of a loaded question but any "better" readings of the battery level? To be honest, I attribute the inconsistency on a brick to brick basis. Additionally, if the brick holds up to a 1 - 1.5 load reading...folks have to be realistic: 0 - 100% --with those parameters--is hard to get pinpoint percentages (as much as we won't single, numerical digit increments!)

turk and mitchgo61 like this.
  10. mitchgo61

Honestly, I didn't notice any change in the battery functions. I still have the same weird bug...left my battery in overnight when it was reading 3/4 and I get a dead reading the next day, even though the battery still reads 3/4 in the app. I'm not sure FF has even reproduced this bug given I've experienced it for 18 months but they don't seem any closer to isolating it. (I don't think many units have this issue from what I've read.)

Had I just kept using the FF on this charge it would've lasted a very long time. I got at least 25 hits before the bowl was dead and theoretically only 1/4 of the charge had been used.

Not sure if that answered your question! :hmm:

kcmochris likes this.
  11. Mhodgey

Mhodgey New Member

Busted out the firefly for a dab tonight, at about the second heat cycle, right when I start to pull for a whole cycle, my led turned white/light blue for 5 or so seconds, and then solid blue for over a minute, where pressing the buttons would do nothing, I've tried finding LED signal meaning but no luck with what I've got going on. Battery is half charged if that matters

12. mitchgo61

Hmmm. Try taking out the battery and inserting the other battery and see if that helps.

13. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

Yeah, I've had numerous and frequent bugs show up that are fixed usually by just disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. Mine is pretty flaky: sometimes coming off the charger and the light going white and not changing; Buttons just can't initiate power or I have to push as hard as I can - I have large and strong hands; can't connect to the app .... Plus there's a very distinct technique to do just about anything, and sometimes a ridiculous amount of awkward pressure to do a couple of things, though it gets easier after things get worn in a bit.

On the other hand, there's an endless variability of how to cook the goose! A lot of room for creativity on the most important function. :tup: Vapor is easiest on my lungs compared to the others I have. You could say form (and 'cool') getting out ahead of function a tad. Quirky, but definitely worth it in the end.

Review Complete. ;)

14. im not a robot

im not a robot New Member

hi everyone. i am in the market for my first vape, not much experience, i only tried the mighty over a weekend and was pretty amazed by it. so getting one of those was my first impulse, but since i know i will never go through its entire chamber in one sitting (i will mostly be using it by myself, and i do like taking breaks), i am wondering if a session style vape is for me.. naturally i came across the firefly 2 in my research too, and while the whole concept of on-demand-vapor seems much more suitable for the way i would use it, the price is somewhat off-putting, and i am also a bit concerned b/c of the rather mixed responses it seems to be getting from its users (vs the mostly very positive reviews). i came across an offer for refurbished fireflies from what seems a legit source (firefly lists the retailer as official for europe), about 100 euros cheaper than new (220 euros total), and warranty for 1 year. seems like a good deal to me, but besides general thoughts you may have regarding firefly on demand vs. a mighty session - are there any concerns you would have regarding a refurbished unit?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

I'd recommend emailing ff (the company) about that. I'd be concerned of it being a knockoff.

16. Tiny88

Tiny88 Deluxe420

Yes, email FF with the serial # inside the vape (behind where the battery sits) , they will be able to authenticate the unit for you. I got my FF2 second hand brand new, and it works great.

As for mighty vs. firefly and other vapes, it comes down to what features you are looking for in a vape.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

I'm exactly like you.

I started using the MFLB for exactly that reason, (in fact I got a trench 1/2 vaped right now waiting for me for whenever I get back to it. I'm also using the UFO on that, but just using a 1 ft. whip is cheap and awesome!)

The FF2 definitely falls into that category and I use it that way, plus the awesomeness of pure confection. However, despite all the hype about it being so easy to use, I've found the opposite to be true. Mine is very quirky so there's a learning curve but once I worked out how to address each one then I get great results. To change the temp, you'll HAVE to rely on a phone app, at least for now, though again there are some trial 'n error techniques you have to figure out and you can work without the app when needed, like I did for a week recently.

But the MFLB is also quirky, as is the UFO. I use this and the FF2 at home + a Vapir Prima for easy privacy out 'n about.

However, any session vape can probably be used that way, it's just more trouble and requires technique, but I do that with the Prima when I'm out.

:tup:

18. hafalump

hafalump Well-Known Member

get a vapcap

mucsusn likes this.
  19. mucsusn

mucsusn 60 going on 20

I second that

20. im not a robot

im not a robot New Member

thanks for your replies everyone. i am not very worried about the device being a knockoff. the retailer is listed as official for ff distribution in europe - my concern with a refurbished unit is more of a general nature: are some of these more quirky than others? maybe this is why they were returned.. though they could be *refurbished* for any number of reasons i guess..
    i was looking at the prima too. seems a very decent unit, and is going quite cheaply here in europe (150 euro).. in fact, the prima might be better value than the mighty for half the price?
    yes, very much considering this too. also good value it seems.. however, isnt this entirely conduction heat? i like the idea of not having to finish a load (hence my ff attraction). from what i can gather, this would not be ideal to do with the mighty f.ex. (though i understand there are workarounds), as the herb would continue to roast during non-use. this would not be an issue with a vapcap? because it cools down quicker?
    again, thx everyone for the advice. very new to all this..

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  21. mitchgo61

I had the pleasure of having a lengthy chat with Mark from Firefly today so I was able to get a few questions answered regarding the new app:

1. Sounds like they are nearing the end of testing and the app should go live and be released within the next few weeks. (Definitely within the next 30 days if not sooner.) So that's good news.
    2. Even better news: the new app will enable temp control directly on the FF itself. There will be seven different heat settings (not the 31 on the new temp controls) you can access via the FF buttons. It will require you to set the controls to "both buttons" and works by holding down the right button (I think...) and tapping the other button to change the heat settings. All without accessing the app. I know people have been clamoring for this since before the 2 was even released so I'm guessing this will make a lot of folks happy. This will be in the new release...though alas I haven't seen it yet because it wasn't part of the beta version I'm using.
    3. I asked him about the weird battery behavior I observe regularly (the thing where a half full battery throws a red light and acts depleted if left in the FF idle for some period of hours). He thinks it may have something to do with inaccuracies in the battery indicator and the extra power the battery needs to push when you are firing up a "cold" FF...but obviously they will need to do some testing to repro the bug. (I think if you get a device that does this, it's easy to reproduce...mine does it consistently.)

I think those were the major points. Hopefully this update is rolled out soon and everyone can enjoy a couple of big new feature additions. I'm personally very curious to see how the onboard temp control feature works. :\

lluiscat, kcmochris, turk and 2 others like this.
  22. jay87

jay87 Well-Known Member

If you can afford it and don't mind using a torch lighter you owe it to yourself to try a Vapcap.

It's primarily a 1-hitter (or 3-hitter) type device that you really won't have to worry about the session aspect of not being able to just put it down. In fact if you're looking for just a hit at a time the Vapcap is perfect for that type of usage.

The Vapcap is just so fast and convenient and it's a great companion to the FF2.

From my own experience the FF2 is good with dry herb, but it's really spectacular with concentrates.

Generally my Vapcap is my go to dry herb vape, and my FF2 is my go to concentrate vape by far.

@mitchgo61 Sounds great, it's cool to know firefly is still updating the app and vape functionality. :tup:

Dynavaper and WarpaintFree like this.
  23. turk

turk turk

...great news on the updates!...after a small hiatus...I'm back enjoying my ff2.

24. kuzko

kuzko Well-Known Member

Is the Firefly 2 supposed to make a faint buzzing sound when the heater is engaged?

25. mitchgo61

Some people say they hear a hum. Usually it occurs when they hold it close to their ear....which is a use-case I find frankly baffling, given that in three years of FF use I've never had the occasion to stick the thing near my ear canal. :lol:

In any case if you search this thread you'll see others mention it. I've never heard it myself, but I always have music playing when I'm getting medicated so maybe I'm just oblivious. If your FF is operating normally otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

turk and MonsterWithoutBorders like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors