1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. PhreedomPhries

PhreedomPhries High Plains Drifter

Hi I have heard that the original firefly has a much better air path, with much less restriction. I've also heard the contrary. Can somebody please confirm?

2. toked23

toked23 Well-Known Member

Had this ff2 for about a year, love it, never had any issues and does the job easily for me every time. What I have noticed is and I clean every single time I'm change a load I that I can't seem to get rid of the little bit of burnt popcorn residual smell. I've cleaned it a million times and it looks fantastic but can't seem to figure out where this slight popcorn smell is coming from. I may just replace the lid and see if that helps. Any other suggestions? @mitchgo61

CreamCityVapes likes this.
  3. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

Hmmm....not really sure where the problem would be. While I can't claim to get it completely odor-free, you should be able to eliminate any really noticeable weed odor via a good iso wipe of the bowl, including the restrictor plate, the main steel plate, and the lid. Make sure you get the seal on the lid wiped off really well with iso, though be careful not to soak it or get it too wet.

Also try removing the mouthpiece and giving it an iso rinse, making sure you also clean out the slot it snaps into (lots of stuff collects in there). Good luck!

4. toked23

toked23 Well-Known Member

I soaked the mouthpiece and that did help. The ISO may be part of the smell as well, which I'm not a fan of. Anyone know of anything that may also do a good job, maybe organic even? Just curious. It's not that it's terrible, but I just would love for it to me as minimal as humanly possible. I'm a taste/flavor freak I guess

Again, if I have it in my pocket, no one will smell it, but if I put it up to my face or close I can smell it easily.

5. mitchgo61

You can try Everclear 151 (or 190 if it's legal in your state). Works nearly as well as ISO as a solvent and has less of a hospital-ish smell. (And more of a "serious drinking problem" odor. :lol:)

6. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

My FF2 doesn't get as much love these days since I got a log vape. But dusted it off today, and it is still exquisite. I love this thing and will use it til it dies.

Saman65, ArthurJ, twigs and 3 others like this.
  7. Paka-cholo

Paka-cholo Flaccid Member

@Jen mine was collecting dust as well until I started to mess around with concentrates. Now it's constantly in use. A great tool for sure.

mucsusn, Jen, mitchgo61 and 2 others like this.
  8. fogbank

fogbank Well-Known Member

I am now getting better results with a slightly less-than-full bowl, not packed.

I had an unusual experience lately that changed my FF2 habits.

I have two units. I had been running both at High with temp boost between 5-7%. I was fairly satisfied with the results, but never amazed. A few months ago I broke out a strain that had been in storage for about 3 years. I always use a medium to fine grind, so I ground some up and filled a bowl. Within a few hits I experienced combustion. This was not the first time it's happened - I've experienced combustion occasionally with both units, but occurrences have been few and far between. So I cleaned the unit thoroughly and let it air out for a while, to get rid of that horrible combustion odor. A few days later I filled another bowl and experienced combustion again. I really thought there was something wrong with the unit, but I cleaned it up and let it air out again.

The next time I filled a bowl with this strain I decided to lower the temp to medium-high with no temp boost. I could tell I was getting a ton of vapor on the first hit, and could sense impending combustion before the end of my draw, so I cut the draw short. Luckily I avoided combustion. After that I decided to lower the temp to medium. Since then I've been running this particular strain through the same FF2 unit, now on medium, and have been getting great results. I also changed my other unit to medium-high, and have been running different strains through it, also with great results.

I find it odd that I had been using the FF2 for over a year, and most of the time I had both of my units set on High with temp boost, and now I'm running one on medium and one on medium-high and I feel like I'm getting better results than before. I know that the strain can make a difference in how much vapor is produced, but I've run at least a dozen strains through them before (many also a few years old), and I never even considered using lower temps. I'm more satisfied with my both FF2 units than I have ever been before. As I mentioned at the top of my post, I am finding a slightly less than full bowl to be working even better for me than a full or packed bowl.

And for the record, the 3 year old strain has proven to be very potent.

CreamCityVapes and Gregori like this.
  9. kcmochris

kcmochris Active Member

Had my FF2 since April of last year, along with the two bricks they provide. One of my batteries has come slightly apart at the seam -- only on one side. Taping it down makes it flush : works on the charger, as well as in the unit.

Totally aware that using any batteries with the housing compromised is not advised and dangerous. Will def be buying a new brick or two.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience. I feel like the tab they provide to lift the brick out of the charging unit might have had something to do with it, as I could see pulling on the tab could also cause separation (housing is molded with two pieces, and the tab is obviously part of the top piece).

10. Modicum

Modicum Well-Known Member

Hey @mitchgo61, starting to get the WoW factor in my FF2. A fully charged batt. in the unit, if not used for 36 hrs will lose about 20% power . None of my other
    vapes lose that much when not in use. Do you have any tales to tell of what I may be doing wrong or it is what it is ?

11. mitchgo61

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I have the same issue but even a little worse....any battery left to idle in my FF for more than say 12 hours basically goes dead on me. (I'd be happy with only 20% loss!)

I'm not sure what causes this, and the FF folks have known about it for a while (I first noticed it on mine over a year ago). I work around it by keeping one battery charged, and basically starting each new day/session with a freshly-charged battery. Otherwise this seems to happen to me 9 out of 10 times I leave a battery idle for too long. (I don't think everyone with an FF2 has this issue, but plenty of folks have reported it.)

Paka-cholo likes this.
  12. Modicum

You've been great on letting people pick your brain . One last pick from me, how far do you let the batt. run down before you switch ? Is it a batt.charge level or is it
    just intuition ?

CreamCityVapes and mitchgo61 like this.
  13. mitchgo61

Picking my brain is a lot like panning for gold in a puddle. :lol:

Basically I just switch batteries each time I start a new session after a few hours. So if say I take ten hits off a bowl at 4pm, and then I wanna take a few more hits at like 11pm, or the next day, I just pop in a new battery. Battery 1 shouldn't be more than 10-20% depleted, but I don't care....I just swap in battery 2 anyway. Because whatever bug seems to lurk here will undoubtedly make the red light flash on me if I set the FF down for five or six hours. I know it's gonna make me swap batts anyway, so I don't bother waiting.

It's an infuriating little bug, though thankfully easy to work around, for the minority of us who experience it. Hope that helps!

steama and Modicum like this.
  14. Modicum

Don't know how to "like", but I appreciate what you said.

CreamCityVapes, steama and mitchgo61 like this.
  15. brainiac

brainiac Well-Known Member

My FF1 is almost exactly 2 years old now. It still works and looks like new. Original battery.
    For the first six months it was my daily driver until I got a UD. Now it comes along on any walks
    or trips out and provides me with flavour and solid hits on demand - wherever I am.
    I packed it with a trippy, uplifting Lemon Haze for today's little outing :)
    [​IMG]
    Happy F'ing the C everyone.

Roland Blaze, Gregori, jupazo and 4 others like this.
  16. malsanti

malsanti Active Member

What is the best grinder to use with a FireFly 2? I've been hand tearing it, but I think that might not be best. Think that method is a bit too coarse.

CreamCityVapes and steama like this.
  17. kcmochris

kcmochris Active Member

@malsanti Spacecase has been working well.

CreamCityVapes and steama like this.
  18. mucsusn

mucsusn 60 going on 20

Love my large 4pg Santa Cruz Shredder. My favorite of all my grinders

steama likes this.
  19. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

Confused ...

I have continued to have very stiff resistance with my FF2. Has anyone noticed *** I'm not recommending this *** that if you blow in the mouthpiece hard that the air flow becomes more restricted? If I blow about 3 times it becomes virtually closed off. No suck.

I'm just struggling with the VERY stiff resistance, which can spoil the whole experience. It can fluctuate and I can't seem to find the 'lever' to open it up.

EDIT: starting to think about sending it in.

The large SLX ceramic coated works awesome! Fairly small holes, removable keif tray (I don't use it) and virtually no stick. The small one seems like a toy, though.

20. mitchgo61

You did all the obvious things, yes? Remove the mouthpiece, clean it out, remove the mouthpiece screen, clean the lid, make sure the lid is seated correctly, tried it without the mouthpiece screen, make sure nothing is blocking the side vents, clear out the air slot on the main plate...yes?

If blowing in makes it worse, you must be lodging something...somewhere. Somehow. :p Thing is, there's like not much to the airpath. If the main vents aren't blocked, the air just flows over the main plate through the little slot into the mouthpiece and into your mouth. Anything impeding the draw should be either in the slot or some portion of the mouthpiece, provided the lid is clean and seated correctly.

Really should be easy to isolate....I think.....:hmm:

Mad_Max likes this.
  21. Tiny88

Tiny88 Deluxe420

Hey All,

I am new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered. But can someone tell me when it is time to change the concentrate pads?

Thanx

22. jay87

jay87 Well-Known Member

I usually swap them out when I begin to notice the flavor or performance begin to decline.

The best way to clean them is to soak them in ISO for a long time, say overnight. Then use a toothpick to swish them around in the ISO a bit, and then repeat soaking and swishing until the ISO comes out clear. Once that's done you can dry them upright overnight and they should be as good as new. :leaf:

Tiny88 and Jill NYC like this.
  23. fogbank

fogbank Well-Known Member

I do not have this issue. I regularly keep batteries in both of my FF2 units, even when idle for days at a time, and they do not seem to lose any charge. I rotate 4 batteries through 2 FF2 units. One battery does seem to die much more rapidly than the other 3, but I chalk this up to a dying battery, not loss of charge when stored in the FF2.

I also have an external charger that I purchased for my OG Fireflies. I plug it into a timer and let the battery charge for 1.5 hours before it automatically shuts off. I often keep a battery in the external charger for as long as a week after it is charged and I don't seem to experience any loss of charge.

24. Tiny88

Tiny88 Deluxe420

@fogbank

- what type of external charger are you using?

Thanx

Tiny88

25. mitchgo61

There was an external charger sold for the FF1 (you still need the original AC adapter to use it). The FF2 batteries work in the old external charger. (I use it myself....not a fan of the USB cradle thingy.)

Tiny88 likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors