The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipjoe

So i have one of the most expensive portable vapes but no app for now? Had to reset my phone and the app is gone. :( I had the firefly 1 too and love these vapes but this is disappointing. I hope they'll update it very soon.

flipjoe,

Tiny88

Deluxe420
So i have one of the most expensive portable vapes but no app for now? Had to reset my phone and the app is gone. :( I had the firefly 1 too and love these vapes but this is disappointing. I hope they'll update it very soon.

My app still works on my android phone, still the old app though.

Tiny88,

flipjoe

My app still works on my android phone, still the old app though.
Unfortunately my android phone is too old for the app and for the iphone a friend gave me (old one too) there's no app available since a couple weeks.

flipjoe,
Reactions: Tiny88

Robob

Veteran Vaporist
Yes I too have had the app break on iOS with the latest update. Hopefully FF update the app soon I would like to adjust this again someday.

Robob,
Reactions: flipjoe

Pipiemcpipe

You can change the temp by using button sequence . I don't remember them now but you can search for it . Not great but good in the meantime till new app comes out.

Saman65

I want a vertical FF3 with a more open draw, easier vapor production, better battery, and a similar vapor path. Oh and no more overheating too!!

My favorite parts of the FF2 are the vapor path, flavor, and how easy it is to clean, least favorite parts are overheating, short battery life, and horizontal usage with proprietary non-mateable mouthpiece.

My dream portable vape is FF2 flavor and vapor path, Mighty vapor production and ease of use, with the IQ body and batteries :drool:

I too have encountered overheating specially on concentrate mode.
However I gotta say I am absolutely loving this vape after 3 weeks and haven't missed my crafty even a bit! On demand vapes were invented for me, I am just a little late to the game.
I don't have an issue with the battery life, coming from two years of owning a crafty.
The only improvement I would love to see is a horizontal usage. I can use it almost vertically since I put my liquid pad on the top of my half filled chamber but it's not the most convenient way to holandridd the vape. That's why I don't really do that and hold it horizontally even in the public.
4Vw2Vit.jpg

The FF2 for anyone who complains I don't know why. I found it very easy to master and get tasty clouds quickly. I love this thing and am really glad I decided to give it a try. I received it the same day as my Zion. And they are both being out through the tests.

I got it second hand of Ebay as well. I can resell it later on and not lose 40% of my money.
I agree. This was literally my first on demand vape and took me two days to master in it.

Unfortunately my android phone is too old for the app and for the iphone a friend gave me (old one too) there's no app available since a couple weeks.

Yeah the android app not working on Android 4 sucks! My backup phone which I am using now is a Galaxy nexus which is on android 4.4. I wasn't able to install the app. Luckily I have a cheap galaxy tablet which has a newer android.

You can change the temp by using button sequence . I don't remember them now but you can search for it . Not great but good in the meantime till new app comes out.

I did not know this and searched for it but had no luck. I would appreciate any elaboration.

Saman65,

Pipiemcpipe

I too have encountered overheating specially on concentrate mode.
However I gotta say I am absolutely loving this vape after 3 weeks and haven't missed my crafty even a bit! On demand vapes were invented for me, I am just a little late to the game.
I don't have an issue with the battery life, coming from two years of owning a crafty.
The only improvement I would love to see is a horizontal usage. I can use it almost vertically since I put my liquid pad on the top of my half filled chamber but it's not the most convenient way to holandridd the vape. That's why I don't really do that and hold it horizontally even in the public.
4Vw2Vit.jpg

I got it second hand of Ebay as well. I can resell it later on and not lose 40% of my money.
I agree. This was literally my first on demand vape and took me two days to master in it.

Yeah the android app not working on Android 4 sucks! My backup phone which I am using now is a Galaxy nexus which is on android 4.4. I wasn't able to install the app. Luckily I have a cheap galaxy tablet which has a newer android.

I did not know this and searched for it but had no luck. I would appreciate any elaboration.
Sorry must have read that the new app was supposed to interface this feature , I read so much in this vape before buying and instill think I read it somewhere but I must be mistaken cause I can't find it

Pipiemcpipe,
Reactions: Saman65

Ricchini

I have been eying this vape up for some time. I only have two other vapes, the Vapexhale for my desktop, and a Mighty for my portable. I owned a Crafty, but it was stolen.

This is a connoisseurs vaporizer. It would be a terrible investment for someone who is new to vaping. The Storz and Bickel offerings might take 1/3 more of a bowl pack, but they are much easier to pack and start ripping and you will probably get 20 more hits per packing.

This whole system feels so designedly, it's not always necessarily implemented effectively. Sure, you can tap on the buttons and it will tell you the temperature, or the battery....

Can I get a couple hits? Sure, but not optimally if I don't have my cellphone at the ready. I think that's bad design to have one device really rely on the other to operate it's controls.

I have been eyeing this vape since it came out, bought it in 2017 and for a month there's no app support? That's bullshit in my opinion. "the owner used to work at Apple" GREAT! except it's taken a month to release a pretty simple app. Maybe they're fire-flying some California herb until they can no longer function and those of us elsewhere in the US have to wait for them to come down so they can get the app back to iOs users.

I listened to a 50 minute podcast with the owner and principal designer of the Firefly 2 vape and he is a proponent that vapor is invisible, you should micro-dose your hits and not have a lot of visible vapor. He's almost against the notion of visible vapor because that's "waste".

If you can convince yourself of what he's selling, and can pull good hits off this vaporizer, you definitely get pretty medicated, the tastes are lovely, but you feel a bit robbed because a mighty/crafty gives you 10-15 distinct huge draws that satisfy you psychologically. You can get really medicated off the firefly, but expect less visible draws, more tasteful draws and tougher to rip draws.

This unit gets clean really easy, but it also gets dirty really easy, the glass surfaces show any resin that's accumulated, luckily you can clean it quickly.

I'll post again but for now 7/10

Brewervapesalot

I've found the easy clean a real plus. All vapes get dirty. Firefly 2 just lets use see the "dirt" easily so you can wipe it clean. That, compared to a pax or other conduction models, is a key difference. The latter are impossible to get 100% clean or even to see all the dirt, and leaving any adds a flavor IMO.

Key is to have a small needle and check to if any of those laser drilled holes get clogged. This keeps draw resistance tolerable. Use the needle to poke clean. Cup your hand over the chamber and turn on--the darkness allows you to see the clog and unclogged holes.

Interestingly I have two units, and the later purchased definitely has larger laser drilled holes. A slight difference in draw resistance.

If you slightly over fill (course grind) by mounding (if that is a word) herb above the glass slightly and tamp ever so lightly, use on high for a couple bowls, stirring after ever two draws, and then drop down to low for a bowl or two, still stirring--it's a pleasant session.

I get plenty medicated, nice clouds, and experience some very nice flavor. Flavor on low is better than Cloud Evo, and clouds on high are comparable to low settings of a Cloud Evo. Just far more draw resistance.

Hope that helps anyone struggling with their unit...

Vaporcussion

Way back in this thread someone drilled their own larger holes. My experience was that after a few months performance went down (or I lost all my breath), so maybe my holes are clogged as well...

Ricchini

Way back in this thread someone drilled their own larger holes. My experience was that after a few months performance went down (or I lost all my breath), so maybe my holes are clogged as well...

Ok.

I like this line of thought. The Firefly 2 does have some slick designerly features, it's simple in a number of ways, it's attractive, minimal etc.

The draw resistance on this piece is a problem!

I'm convinced the heating coils have the balls to drive a fat hit, it's the air resistance coming from this meager gap between the bowl and the Gorilla glass.

Making the holes in the bottom larger is an interesting suggestion, it will definitely expose more material to the heater faster, I'm not totally sure it will make the vape easier to draww off of tho per-se

The people I enjoy vaping with don't have the vapor-pulling skills as some of us nightly vapers, who do this alone and contemplate vapor pulling mastery (it's ok I do it too)

With that being said, I have lately been having a lot more fun with my Firefly.

It took me 3-4 nights to hit it properly, I couldn't toast a bowl; only 3-4 meager draws. I finally got it ripping like the slick electronic pipe that it is.

It takes a very specific style of pulling on, and it takes a special grind. Don't even bother with the 3pc grinder for this vape. Break it up by hand, initially cover the bottom with some "one-tear" right off the stem.

Here's another pro-tip (no-pro here, just had to say it)
Take your 3pc grinder, put the nug in there and give the grinder one-half twist. Don't let it fall into the other part of your shredder. Keep the herb up top and dump the top grinder part onto a plate and you will have some nice coarse grind, at the ready.

COARSE GRIND. HAND broken pebbles if need be. And break the tip off a Bic Pen or something because another downside is the stirring.

You have to stir this vape. No question about it.

Here's why I have been enjoying it.......

It's powerful, it will give you a rip. I have never hit concentrates through it, but I would imagine it would send you through a fuckin wall.

It would also probably get filthy and clog up the tiny dainty holes, who are we kidding.

From a designer perspective, the draw should be the origin of a vape, not some slick electronic-pairing-bluetooth bullshit, not all the fucking frills, it's about the HIT. That's where Seibo Shen completely knocked a grand-slam out of the park for the win. You build your vape around the HIT.

This vape tries to be a little too Apple like, and Shen's Vapexhale is like a Vitamix blender. Not the most attractive device but will make smoothies into oblivion, or vape anything in existence into ridiculously easy to rip, big fat tokes. It's not about the appearance of the vape, the slick functionality, it's about the hit.

I'm not killing this vape. I'm really not, but it's definitely one that grows on you, but maybe not something you are immediately blown away by.

It's nice to be able to take a single rip, study, work on stuff around the house, take another nice rip, leave the house, come back and hit the same bowl.

That is this vapes primary advantage.

If you are a session smoker, this isn't for you.

You have to cherish the hits you get. Compared to my Mighty, which gives me 15 massive draws plus 10 on either end, I would say you have to cherish the hits, hold them in; they are definitely more complex tasting and delicate and you will definitely get medicated, you just don't seem to get as much.

I might as well post a Yelp review at this point.

Brewervapesalot

Also helps to hold it on for a good 5 seconds before drawing regardless of what lights say.

The later purchased unit has larger holes for sure but their only slightly bigger and it's only say a 10% to 15% difference in draw resistance.

Definitely keep this vape's screen clean. Take out battery and you can be more liberal with iso and use the needle to poke each clogged hole. Just let dry fully before battery goes back in.

Brewervapesalot,

cgod

Just received mine today (finaly)

Here at my first impressions :peace:

Just put some Zkittlez inside that i was lucky to get given to me today, i picked it by hand into tiny little buds and put it in, set it to medium and 105%

I took two small cigar puffs and then pulled for 10 slow seconds,for the last 5 seconds i inhaled much more quickly, let go and exhaled, i got a large cloud and the flavor was truely a taste i havent experienced before, not just because of the bud i had, but just how much it coated your mouth and i could taste every single note at a really high volume, i have some very great flavored vapes ( Crafty & Lotus, SBJ ) but this vape is by far the tastiest i have experienced

Second session i put it on medium high and instead of doing the cigar puffs i just pulled for around 15 seconds, very large clouds this time and the taste yet again was out of this world (grapes, forrest berries and orange peels)

I was very nervous about having this because of so much complaints ive read, but i am very happy and suprised how easy it is to use as of now, ive done two bowls so far :rockon::love::peace:

Brewervapesalot

So one of my firefly 2 units was pretty clogged up. I got a little frisky with it. Poked out each hole with a needle. Helped. But I wanted more free flowing as some holes were tough to get clean. Stuck the needle in each hole and gentle tapped the needle with a small hammer.

Result: Definitely made the holes slightly bigger. Way easier to pull. Doing more testing but seems to be a successful mod... I am still able to get good, and as big as usual, clouds. Not sure if the un-modded unit gets bigger clouds more consistently. Doing side by side comparisons now. But the modded unit def works and is easy to draw...

So after some testing. Definitely easy to pull. I would say there is probably a reduction in average cloud size however. Not sure which I like more the original or the mod. More testing is needed. :)

https://ibb.co/bJ4N86

bJ4N86

Last edited:
Brewervapesalot,

buckhakeesah

Looks like you only made the center holes bigger? Am I right? Your holes look way bigger than my unit, all of them actually. Mine are so small it's hard to find the right size needle to use that works well in clearing out the gunk. I have a feeling I have an early model with the smaller holes. Hmmm...should I send mine in for replacement? Mine works so well still even with the clogged holes.

buckhakeesah,

Brewervapesalot

Looks like you only made the center holes bigger? Am I right? Your holes look way bigger than my unit, all of them actually. Mine are so small it's hard to find the right size needle to use that works well in clearing out the gunk. I have a feeling I have an early model with the smaller holes. Hmmm...should I send mine in for replacement? Mine works so well still even with the clogged holes.

All of the holes got a little bigger. But the middle ones look bigger I agree. Originally it had slightly smaller holes than my other unit. I dont know if they are replacing units or not. I just happened to buy an early unit then a later one and noticed the difference.

The mod is very easy to pull from. One could increase the size of every say 3rd hole for less pronounced mod.

I'll compare them some more and post again...

FractaLSD

PsychMyc
you guys that are still having trouble with the app, have you tried airplane mode? Works for me 100%

I know many have said this just wanna clear it up for anyone who thinks they cant use the app.
Hope they update soon...

FF delays their products sometimes. Like the external battery charger. Turns it into a daily driver just with the one extra battery you get with it. Just wish they were cheaper so that i could buy a pack for camping etc

I also have/love the crafty but dislike the short batt (FF2 is kinda short too... but the quick charge and swappable batt makes up for it.) Id say if you just keep on vaping, itll last maybe 10 mins longer than Crafty. I felt a little ripped off at first when they didnt have the external charger available anywhere, cause the whole reason i got it was for a portable epic where i can swap batts and use as a daily driver. Still loved it with the 40 min recharge time. But now its pretty much the most epic vape. You vape alot more in a sesh with Crafty but the Firefly is so damn smooth and potent. I have a high tolerance and usually 3 hits and im already high.

Last edited:

midnight rider

try holding your thumb on the left side, index finger on the other side and gently rocking it back and forth til you feel it come loose. always install it with the notch side down by just snapping into place, it will become second nature to you once you do it a couple times. and keep the mouthpiece screen clean, it can clog fast. just blow through the mouthpiece when you have it off, again keeping notch side down or you could get stuff in your eye. enjoy

midnight rider,
Reactions: cgod

Brewervapesalot

So the firefly unit I modified is better than my unmodified one. Easy pull. Major, major, difference there. Use a very course grind, and you'll get consistent nice clouds. I'm just consistently reaching for the modified unit over the other...

I may mod the other one by doing a few holes at a time. Trying. Then maybe a few more holes til I get easy enough draw.

Last edited:
Brewervapesalot,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom