1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by RobDaBomb, Jan 2, 2016.

1. kuzko

kuzko Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I just got mine yesterday so I assume everything else works correctly so far. I definitely don't have to hold it up to my ear to hear. I can hear it clearly even if i hold it in my outstretched arm while the TV is going. I don't like electronic noises like buzzing or ringing so I might have to return the Firefly 2. Cool device otherwise tho.

mitchgo61 likes this.
  2. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

Yeah that sounds a little unusual. I don't think it's a bad idea to give FF a call and see what they say....they are usually pretty helpful. They may know more about this issue than I personally do...again I've only heard this from a few users who describe a fairly intimate approach to "listening" to their device. :p

Anyway if you're worried, my rec is to call FF (don't email them, you'll get faster satisfaction on the phone). Please let us know what happens!

turk likes this.
  3. kcmochris

kcmochris Active Member

Mine does. And same here: I can hear the buzzing from engaging and pulling from the FF2. After all, ears are pretty close to the mouth. But it's a super faint buzzing, only audible when the room is silent/rather quiet...At any rate, my unit works GREAT (1+ year ) -- never had much issues outside of a dead battery.

Like @mitchgo61 said, let us know what they say!

4. mitchgo61

I took my FF2 to a silent room and fired it up, holding it right up to my ear....and I couldn't hear anything. Could be my ears. Too much loud guitar! :lol:

OK on to the new app: I got a build with the firmware changes that add the onboard temp control to the FF. And I haven't played with it extensively but it worked great...you press the right button, tap the left three times, and you enter the temp mode. Then just tap the left button anywhere from 1 to 7 times to select any of the 7 preset temps. The LED flashes the number you selected. (I thought it would be wonky tapping as many as 7 times, which just seems weird to me, but it worked every time.)

A nice feature here is the app temp slider is correlated to the onboard changes so you can watch it move up or down as you change the temp on the FF. The 7 temps are, according to the slider (in F): 250, 310, 340, 370, 400, 430, 480. So it goes from quite low to concentrate level.

I personally really like the slider on the app but I know plenty of folks here will be pretty happy with this feature.

MonsterWithoutBorders and turk like this.
  5. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

Speaking of the role of those buttons, does anyone have problems getting them to function sometimes? Or more than sometimes? I can rarely get the buttons to respond to displaying the battery level and temp setting. And sometimes have trouble activating the thing. As the battery goes down, I have less and less capability to start it. Don't know what it is about these buttons, except it might be time to give FF a call ....

6. kuzko

kuzko Well-Known Member

I called Firefly and they said the buzzing is normal, the girl on the phone said hers personally buzzes and she's had it for almost a year but that if it is really loud and bothering me that I should call back and they would see what they can do. They didn't really have to do anything and who knows if they would if I put up a stink about it but customer service seems to be good. I'll try it out more and see, I fired it up again and it didn't seem as bad as the first time but it's definitely still audible. Maybe it's different units, maybe something gets jarred during shipping but it doesn't affect performance apparently. Or maybe some people's ears are different, I know I listen to the TV volume at about half the volume of the rest of my family.

7. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge Retailer

I can hear buzzing when right up to my ear, but not otherwise.

I love having the temp selection on-board now. @mitchgo61 is there a technique or way to touch the buttons so it registers consistently? Mine reads it sometimes and then sometimes not, but I may be tapping it too quickly, slowly, hard etc. Any suggestions?

mitchgo61 likes this.
  8. buckhakeesah

buckhakeesah Well-Known Member

Isn't it just the coil heating up that causes this sound? I notice it too on mine but its only when it's dead silent with no ambient noise around.

mitchgo61 and Mad_Max like this.
  9. kuzko

kuzko Well-Known Member

Yes, the customer service girl said it's the coils heating up, I guess I just have sensitive hearing...

mitchgo61 likes this.
  10. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

I just put mine on high and pushed the buttons and if I put the edge of the FF2 into my ear I can hear it buzzing. It might be that like many things on this vape, after awhile stuff works better.

11. mitchgo61

I tapped pretty fast. One tip is don't let go of the right button. When you hold the right and tap the left three times to enter temp mode, you can't take your thumb off the right button or you'll exit temp mode. So keep your thumb on the right and tap the left pretty quickly. The LED confirmation seems to flash about a full second after you finish tapping the left.

Not sure if that's helpful or not....:\

Mad_Max likes this.
  12. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge Retailer

Thanks. I might be letting go of the right button, then. I got better results with slow, deliberate tapping of the left button. The full second delay gets me every time. I guess I'm used to instant feedback!

mitchgo61 likes this.
  13. turk

turk turk

...app out on iOS platform...I assume update coming shortly...

kcmochris, mitchgo61 and Tiny88 like this.
  14. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

Yes, very helpful! I've been struggling with the buttons frequently on this current/old firmware.

The cool thing of being able to update the firmware like your phone is gonna be coming fast and furious all throughout the tech evolution. It's still a little hard to fathom that a product from this niche retail market space (but seems to be growing exponentially), a portable cannabis vaporizer, is on the cutting edge in such a way. What has seemed over-engineered could prove to be a high reward gamble in the end.

Some bugs can be fixed through this process - the software catching up to the hardware - and even continue to have a built in process to keep ahead of the competition. What's next, a computerized tooth brush? Oh, I forgot - mine IS computerized! ;)

mitchgo61 likes this.
  15. mitchgo61

It is weird. It's just the tiniest pause, and yet it's long enough to make you think it's not registering.

16. turk

turk turk

...no firefly app in u.s. Apple Store.

lluiscat likes this.
  17. kcmochris

kcmochris Active Member

@turk just noticed this as well...went to change the temp, app was connecting then back to the iPhone's home screen. Tried to delete and re-download via App Store. Same message....I wish I didn't leave the unit on medium-low! haha (evening time)

[​IMG]

turk likes this.
  18. turk

turk turk

...that's what I was talking about...strange that they would disable app. without replacement...strange

19. lluiscat

lluiscat Member

The same in Spain Apple Store. I hope that's because they are about to upload the new version

20. Majordude2626

Majordude2626 Well-Known Member

The old app crashed every time I launched it yesterday. I turned off my wifi/internet access on the device and the old app worked just fine. I think the app may call to firefly servers and it's not getting what it wants and crashes.

lluiscat likes this.
  21. Modicum

Modicum Well-Known Member

The app still doesn't turn on and no FF2 app at the store.It must be in transition. Cha,cha,cha cha changes.....

22. Smokinjoe

Smokinjoe Member

Hey guys

I got a used ff2, I only have a bat charger, batteries and 4 filters.

Which do I use for flower n which for wax/shatter??

23. WarpaintFree

WarpaintFree Well-Known Member

The little steel mesh pads are for concentrates. To vape flower you just fill the bowl directly.

24. lluiscat

lluiscat Member

They posted the same on their website:

"You may have recently noticed an issue with using the Firefly app on the iPhone. This is a temporary issue due to updates we are working on with the Apple app store, and should be resolved soon. Once available, the new app will be a free and useful upgrade that enables you to get even more from your Firefly experience.

If you have not previously downloaded the Firefly app, and are using an iPhone, the app will not be available for a short period of time. This temporary issue will be resolved soon. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Workaround for those who have previously downloaded and used the Firefly app on iPhone.
    1) On your iPhone, go to the App Store
    2) Go to Updates, found in the lower right corner
    3) Select Purchased
    4) Scroll down until you locate Firefly Vapor
    5) Select it and download it
    6) On your iPhone, go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode on
    7) Turn Bluetooth on
    8) Now go back and open the app and it will work.

We sincerely appreciate your patience. We will announce the availability of the new app as soon as possible."

Drug and mitchgo61 like this.
  25. Meacullpa

Meacullpa New Member

Like everyone else, I thought I did my research and ended up listening to the hype. Here is my rant. I purchased it directly from FF in May and it worked like a charm. Then, four months later poof... blinking blue lights like it was connecting to my app then solid red. It would only stop if the battery was removed. Put another fully charged battery back in, same thing. Called FF, spoke to a cs rep and was issued an RMA. Sent it back second day air, the same way it was shipped to me when purchased. They sent me an email stating they tested the unit and repaired the problem. FF sent it back slow boat right before the hurricane. It arrived just recently from it's trek across the US, still broken. LED Lights now work correctly, bowl now heats, but gets concentrate hot at medium temp setting. Worse even is that there seems to be a clog under the bowl. You have to pull twice as hard for 10 sec. to get a tiny little cloud and get your fingers scorched for multi sessions as a bonus. Something is caught under there and I can not open it up without voiding my warranty. So once again I have an anchovy can sized paperweight. Be still, it gets better. I sent an email back to FF explaining the new problems they created. They respond by telling me it is a firmware issue. Lol. Seriously. Anyway, I had enough. I contacted AMEX to dispute the charge. If they are un wanting or unwilling to fulfill their obligation and stand behind their product... well this disabled veteran will not go without a fight. Buyer beware!

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors