The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Ok, so I been experimenting :brow:

I was a little generous in my times, but not too much.

I have the cyclone bowl on and the elbow. The elbow cup gauze I have out, packed and ready to go. From 34c (read out start at switch on) to 230c took 1 min 18 seconds.

Then fan was on for 1 min 30 seconds once it had reached 230c.

Then I took the elbow off, stopped the fan, dropped temp to 200c, put the cup in the elbow and put elbow back on cyclone. I waited 20 seconds and hit.

Then I waited 10 minutes and loaded a fresh elbow now the unit and glass was all warmed up fully at 200c. Elbow pack the herb and rest for 1 minute in the cyclone before hitting.

By comparison the first hit with the cold method was very tasty and a bit lighter but the second was rich and thick. The first hit when the unit was hot was much thicker and probably a little bit thicker then the cold methods second and third hits. However, the cold method lasted for a few more hits.

So, IME it works fine to do the quick warm up if you don't mind your hits being a little lighter but going a bit further. Wait a bit longer and you can get thicker hits. So the quick warm up is good if your a little bit bit impatient but you know what they say "Good things come to those who wait"

J.R.R.Tokin',

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I is confused. Do you mean 130 seconds/1,5 minute or 1,3 seconds when you write 1.30 seconds J.R.(R.)?

edit: I'm so confused I can't even count/calculate anymore apparently :lol:

OhTheAgony,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Hey, you're doing that continental craziness OTA where you use commas for decimal places rather than thousands!! And then they use the full stop (period :rolleyes: ) to separate thousands instead of commas.

I don't get it and never have because a comma, as used in language, indicates some continuity and fits appropriate use as a thousands separator, whereas the full stop indicates a definite change and more properly indicates the end of whole numbers and a movement into the new world of fractions and decimals.

This is one reason why Britain can not integrate properly into the EU. :rolleyes: :/ ;)

WatTyler,

Jiltut

So I finally ordered a vaporizer the other day, I decided on the Extreme Q after getting some advice off FCC & a little of my own research. Looking forward to getting it even more after reading some of the stuff on this thread, I'm a total utter newbie when it comes to vaporizing, any cannabis utensils & to cannabis culture in general, I'm quite new really even though I'm in my twenties.

I guess you could class me as a medical experimenter/future user of cannabis in hope of improving my life, though I see everyone who uses it as medical/recreational the same to me in some way. It's like comparing someone who's got a big problems with their fitness who's decided to start an exercise regime to try get healthier or suffer with the ongoing consequences vs the recreational user that lets just say is running because it gives them great pleasure, they're already keeping fit because that's just something that's always been part of their life that they find enjoyable. Something like that anyway hope you get my general picture haha :lol: at least it makes sense in my head.

Oh yeah! can anyone recommend me a glass pipe/bong(plus whatever else those glassy things might go under) that I could use with my vaporizer? I'm looking for something cheapish, I don't care too much what it looks like, although nice looking would be a bonus. Looking at something under 40 really unless there is something just over that would benefit me a lot more. Preferably from the UK but I guess it doesn't matter too much, it would be nice to have it when my vape arrives. Also I don't have a clue really if I'd need some sort of attachment maybe I should get a silicone whip too?

:peace:

Jiltut,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Jiltut said:
Oh yeah! can anyone recommend me a glass pipe/bong(plus whatever else those glassy things might go under) that I could use with my vaporizer? I'm looking for something cheapish, I don't care too much what it looks like, although nice looking would be a bonus.
I don't have any experience with glass else than the EQ itself, so I will not recommend glass pieces and keep that for someone else. I use a simple homade PET bong and it works great. Almost zero price and easy to make, vapor is also arriving cold so plastics don't worry me in there. Glass is for sure much tastier (but still better plastic bong than dry vapor imo), prettier, stable and expensive.
This is my piece: http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=180326#p180326
Jiltut said:
Also I don't have a clue really if I'd need some sort of attachment maybe I should get a silicone whip too?
If you get a glass, you can attach baloon using only baloon elbow adapter with tube. If you youse whip, you need to join long and short tubed elbows with a mouthpiece. Yes, silicone tube is not that rigid and tastes better (I don't have one, but the original pvc tubing is not tasty).

Seek,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
@jiltut. For water and as your first piece to go with your new vaporizer I would personally recommend a small volume tube. Something like a 100ml EHLE or RooR with a diffused down stem is a perfect starting piece imo and will set you back about 40. You might want to go a bit bigger and get a 250ml but that means more volume to suck up. How big a rip do you want to take?

The reason why I say a small volume tube with diff is they are solid, quality pieces that give good diffusion for a good price and are relatively portable. I use small beaker personally for a bit more volume while still having a small stature.

What I have suggested is just a starting point. Learning about glass is as complicated as learning about vaporizers I'm finding atm. There are a lot of innovations going on with glass that can make it quite confusing. I think the general consensus when it come to water filtration and vapor is 'less-is-more' ie. the less water the better. The small tube is a piece that even if you get something more complicated and expensive later on, I think the tube will still get use as a portable piece :2c:

Best thing to do is get onto the Glass forum, have a read up, look at vids people have posted and see what you think.

Good Luck

J.R.R.Tokin',

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Jiltut said:
Oh yeah! can anyone recommend me a glass pipe/bong(plus whatever else those glassy things might go under) that I could use with my vaporizer? I'm looking for something cheapish, I don't care too much what it looks like, although nice looking would be a bonus. Looking at something under 40 really unless there is something just over that would benefit me a lot more. Preferably from the UK but I guess it doesn't matter too much, it would be nice to have it when my vape arrives. Also I don't have a clue really if I'd need some sort of attachment maybe I should get a silicone whip too?

Here is where I'd probably be looking if I were in the UK:

http://www.grasscity.com/uk_en/smoking-pipes/bongs-waterpipes
http://www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/water-bongs.cfm

Selecting glass is every bit a matter of personal preference as is selecting a vape. But you can learn a heckuva lot on some of the threads here. Just a few thoughts to add the prev posts . . .

One distinguishing feature in bongs & bubblers that you'll see is the bowl and/or joint. All are designed with combustion in mind so there is a bowl to hold the herb. With some, the bowl is a separate piece fit into a joint; the joint allows for attachment to a vaporizer's glass fitting at the end of a whip (or to attach other glass accessories such as an ash catcher, if using combustion). With many inexpensive ones however, the bowl is a single piece that does not work as a joint, although sometimes you can just run the vape's tubing down through the bowl. When J.R.R.Tokin' refers to the down stem, he's talking about a glass rod that fits into the bong's base that at top will have a joint, into which a separate bowl piece can be fitted or with the Q, into which an elbow or glass adapter at the end of the whip can be attached.

Here's a bong and a bubbler that illustrate the bowl combined a joint. Note also that joints come in 14mm and 18/19mm. The Q's fittings are 19mm. You can get a 14/19mm adapter if the piece you want only comes in 14mm.

http://www.grasscity.com/uk_en/smok...bongs/ehle-straight-cylinder-250ml-green.html
http://www.grasscity.com/uk_en/black-leaf-8-arm-perc-glass-bubbler-hurricane-mouthpiece.html

As J.R.R.Tokin has already said, you want to pay attention to the size overall and the size of the water chamber. That will have a huge effect on the pull, e.g., a big tube with a beaker full of water takes a lot of lung. Diffusion is also a factor; greater diffusion not only reduces drag but also can improve the moisturing and cooling. A lot of users prefer bubblers for these reasons, because they are typically smaller overall and many have great diffusion designs - but they tend to be expensive (and I suspect there is more of a selection here in the U.S.).

Oh, one other detail: You'll also notice that the thickness varies, and with it, price. Generally speaking, the thicker the heavier and stronger. This becomes more important the larger the piece, e.g., a very tall bong that is thin might be fragile.

That's just my :2c: . Once you find a piece (or several) that you like, if you wish you can post the links here and get some comments before you pull the trigger.

oldiebutgoodie,

SlideOrDie

New to the forums but I've had my extreme q for about 1.5 years now and it's just as good as the day that I bought it.

I have always been using my SYN full sized double showercap with the extreme q for huge hits. Here's a shot of my bedside table :)

AgqzQhzCIAA3da9.jpg

SlideOrDie,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Nice pic. You must have a mighty set of lungs my friend. That SYN is beyond my lung capacity for sure, but a very nice piece :)

What's that big safety-pin looking thing bottom centre of the pic?

J.R.R.Tokin',

oldiebutgoodie

J.R.R.Tokin' said:
Nice pic. You must have a mighty set of lungs my friend. That SYN is beyond my lung capacity for sure, but a very nice piece :)

I agree, nice pic, good lungs. ;)

@SlideOrDie, that short tubing probably helps some with the drag, yes? (I found though that the second eblow adds some drag compared to a straight adapter; requires the stiffer stock tubing which it looks like you're using.)

oldiebutgoodie,

ShoryuUuken

ALtered State Connoisseur
Elbow pack method is wtfawesome. I am saving so much bud doing it this way. Easier to handle, better hits. You kooky kids with your hula hoops and modified wacky tobaccy smokers :ko:

ShoryuUuken,

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
Guys, I'm asking again since no one answered
Regarding elbow method
I've read that you put the elbow attached to the cyclobowl for 5-10 minutes...

My method is putting the cyclobowl upside down for 5-10 and then flip it and insert the elbow...makes great vapor...do u think the other method would be more affective?

m0sh,

oldiebutgoodie

m0sh said:
Guys, I'm asking again since no one answered
Regarding elbow method
I've read that you put the elbow attached to the cyclobowl for 5-10 minutes...

My method is putting the cyclobowl upside down for 5-10 and then flip it and insert the elbow...makes great vapor...do u think the other method would be more affective?

I suspect that no one replied because no one has done it that way. :) OK, I'll give it a shot . . .

I gather then that the teflon coating at the top of the cyclone doesn't wear away putting in directly on the element that way?

When you put it back in right side up, if the bottom section is not as hot as the top teflon section, then air passing from the element up the the cyclone will go through a cooler space and potentially that could cool the air a bit?

Then there is the matter of heating the elbow, screen, and pack itself. Your method puts an ambient temp elbow/screen/pack into a heated top section; that will draw off heat from the cyclone top and may require more heat to reach the desired effect. The standard method raises the temp of elbow/screen/pack as the cyclone is heated; I would think preferable.

Having said all that - admittedly speculation - look at J.R.R.Tokin's post up above, the reply to that, and his further experiments. There are yet other methods mentioned elsewhere on this thread. There is more than one way to skin a cat. If you're happy with what works for you, then do what works for you. ;)

oldiebutgoodie,

m0sh

Of course the Teflon is not affected, I just felt that the top should be as hot as possible since it touches the herbs...usually I do this so I'd have time to arrange everything and grind my weed...then when I'm done its all warm...I can safely say that its really hot then it vapes quickly...and sometimes if you put it a while (lets say 10-15 mins , maybe just 10) both sides are hot

m0sh,

oldiebutgoodie

m0sh said:
Of course the Teflon is not affected, I just felt that the top should be as hot as possible since it touches the herbs...usually I do this so I'd have time to arrange everything and grind my weed...then when I'm done its all warm...I can safely say that its really hot then it vapes quickly...and sometimes if you put it a while (lets say 10-15 mins , maybe just 10) both sides are hot

You asked, I speculated.

If both ends are near equally hot, not sure I see the difference then. IME, still good to pre-heat the elbow/screen/pack. I suppose you could put the packed elbow into the bottom-up to get it warming up and then switch it when you flip the bowl.

Like I said before, different strokes . . . works for you, do it!

oldiebutgoodie,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
hey m0sh. No, I've never tried your method because I want to maintain the teflon top coating. I know a few people have made the mistake of putting the cyclone on upside down and left it for prolonged periods. That caused the teflon coating to shrivel off, making it hard to handle the cyclone when hot. I don't want to risk that.

But hey, as OBG says, if it works for you - great.

J.R.R.Tokin',

Jiltut

Thank you all! I'm amazed at all the help, there's so much information :o

Seek said:
I don't have any experience with glass else than the EQ itself, so I will not recommend glass pieces and keep that for someone else. I use a simple homade PET bong and it works great. Almost zero price and easy to make, vapor is also arriving cold so plastics don't worry me in there. Glass is for sure much tastier (but still better plastic bong than dry vapor imo), prettier, stable and expensive.
This is my piece: http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=180326#p180326

That's a pretty dinky perc Seeks, I'm just anal about plastics, even if it's cooled when it touches, just wouldn't want to be inhaling or drinking out of one with the degradation over time, some of the glass looks real cool too :). I'm just after small rips atm not after much of an effect (I say not much of an effect but it has a major effect on me so I'm not sure how to term this) plus I'd imagine my lungs can't take much of a hit. I'm after the effects of cannabis to the point where it puts me more in tune, gives me more energy, motivation & brain flow, large amounts hasn't been helpful for me in the VERY little selection of strans I've tried in the past.

There's the talk about these higher CBD strains at the moment (equal amounts CBD & THC) that seem to be getting a lot of attention, if they prove to be anywhere near as effective as what some are saying atm then I'll probably be after larger hits, or if I just happen to find a strain that boosts the positives more so without adding the spaced in feeling for me.

J.R.R.Tokin' said:
@jiltut. For water and as your first piece to go with your new vaporizer I would personally recommend a small volume tube. Something like a 100ml EHLE or RooR with a diffused down stem is a perfect starting piece imo and will set you back about 40. You might want to go a bit bigger and get a 250ml but that means more volume to suck up. How big a rip do you want to take?

Been looking at both the ones you suggested, the one site that actually offered the 100ml versions was totally out of stock, I'd prefer the EHLE 100ml with the ice catcher & cheaper price but I've since noticed the joint isn't the right size, may as well get one that just fits without added adapter, also maybe it'd be better to be able to see the vapor while I try inhale.

oldiebutgoodie said:
Here is where I'd probably be looking if I were in the UK:

http://www.grasscity.com/uk_en/smoking-pipes/bongs-waterpipes
http://www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/water-bongs.cfm

Selecting glass is every bit a matter of personal preference as is selecting a vape. But you can learn a heckuva lot on some of the threads here. Just a few thoughts to add the prev posts . . .

Thanks for the link & all the added detail, I'll admit I was pretty lost on a few things after the first few posts. I'm just going to buy one with a 19mm joint to save any added hassle. I'll maybe post an image to the one I might go for, it seems like all the ones I'm finding that I like so far, which are at the smaller end stem wise are sold out. Wonder why that is, has there been more people buying glass bongs due to more people owning vaporizers deciding to buy one or do sites always end up selling out?

And I'm guessing by diffuser you mean the little glass stem that runs into the bottom part of the bong where the water is? If that's right I'm guessing I'd get better diffusion if this had holes in the end or is larger at the end - therefore easier to draw?

Jiltut,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Jiltut said:
And I'm guessing by diffuser you mean the little glass stem that runs into the bottom part of the bong where the water is? If that's right I'm guessing I'd get better diffusion if this had holes in the end or is larger at the end - therefore easier to draw?

Correct. the diffused down stem breaks up the incoming vapor into smaller bubbles adding to the smoothness - or so they say.

J.R.R.Tokin',

oldiebutgoodie

Jiltut said:
. . . I'm after the effects of cannabis to the point where it puts me more in tune, gives me more energy, motivation & brain flow, large amounts hasn't been helpful for me in the VERY little selection of strans I've tried in the past.

There's the talk about these higher CBD strains at the moment (equal amounts CBD & THC) that seem to be getting a lot of attention, if they prove to be anywhere near as effective as what some are saying atm then I'll probably be after larger hits, or if I just happen to find a strain that boosts the positives more so without adding the spaced in feeling for me.

Suggest you take a look at these threads:

http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=4369
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=58958
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=4135

If you are looking for more energy and being less stoney, then you want the CBD-to-THC ratio to be less, not more. While strain is a factor, temperature is extremely important. THC vaporizes beginning at ~160C, CBD kicks in at ~205C. And you may want to stay away from CBN which vaporizes at ~215C. Vape extraction efficiency along with user technique are also factors. You will learn a lot about all this as you get into the vaping scene.

. . . Wonder why that is, has there been more people buying glass bongs due to more people owning vaporizers deciding to buy one or do sites always end up selling out?

Keep in mind that bongs are used more with combustion, vapers are in the minority. Also, quality glass pieces are hand-blown; there can be a capacity constraint. Be aware that there is some really cheap Chinese slave-labor glass out there, too. Best to stick with a solid name if you can. Feel free to ask about a piece here before buying.

The stem is called a . . . down stem. Diffusion refers to how the smoke/vapor gas is broken up into bubbles to pass through the water. Diffusion doesn't necessarily translate into easier draw; a big tree perc will deliver a lot of diffusion but you have to pull through all those trees. The trade-off is that the better the diffusion, the better the moisturizing/cooling. Note "better", not necessarily "more". The most basic diffusion method is slits or holes at the end of a bong down stem. But there are also trees, domes, inlines, combinations, etc.; each has its advantages. As already suggested, you'll probably want to start off with something basic and less expensive, learn more as you go. You may be happy with your first selection, you may want to move up before long. Personally, I started with a 12"x1.5" diameter tube having a 6-slit down stem. It was OK but it's really more for combustion and for me was more work than I wanted. Now I use an 11-slit inline bubbler with a small water chamber; excellent diffusion with very little drag. This is another one of those things that is very much a matter of personal preference - and budget.

oldiebutgoodie,

m0sh

J.R.R.Tokin' said:
hey m0sh. No, I've never tried your method because I want to maintain the teflon top coating. I know a few people have made the mistake of putting the cyclone on upside down and left it for prolonged periods. That caused the teflon coating to shrivel off, making it hard to handle the cyclone when hot. I don't want to risk that.

But hey, as OBG says, if it works for you - great.

I don't understand what you mean when you say top coating is affected...well the bottom and top is the same , or you're pulling the coating so the bottom will be only glass???

I'm using this for over 6 month...

I tried your method yesterday night and it worked well,actually its the method I used for balloons until I stopped bags

I think that with my method its a bit hotter and yes I believe the vapor arrives faster...but the "proper" method works great as well, so I'm gonna see for an entire week if there's any real difference...

m0sh,

oldiebutgoodie

m0sh said:
I don't understand what you mean when you say top coating is affected...well the bottom and top is the same , or you're pulling the coating so the bottom will be only glass???

The top coating is the piece of black teflon that is shrink wrapped around and inside the top section of the cyclone; the bottom section is bare. So when the cyclone is inverted the teflon comes into direct contact with the glass casing around the element.

oldiebutgoodie,

m0sh

oldiebutgoodie said:
m0sh said:

The top coating is the piece of black teflon that is shrink wrapped around and inside the top section of the cyclone; the bottom section is bare. So when the cyclone is inverted the teflon comes into direct contact with the glass casing around the element.

ohhhh...I get it now, I use the Glass Tuff Bowl -
glass%20tuff%20bowl%20extreme%20q%20v%20tower%20vaporizer.jpg

As you can see the tuff is longer than the glass, so I figured its ok to keep it like that - and if you pull it upwards its going to get awkward...
Well I've been using this more than half a year and nothing happens to the cover.

Anyway, DO NOT try my method since you don't have the glss tuff, I highly recommend it tho- the cyclo bowl will never break once you have the tuff, I broke a lot cyclo bowls, now I only break a lot elbows ;/

Anyone with glass tuff can try the method and tell me what he thinks :p

m0sh,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
m0sh said:
Anyway, DO NOT try my method since you don't have the glss tuff, I highly recommend it tho- the cyclo bowl will never break once you have the tuff, I broke a lot cyclo bowls, now I only break a lot elbows ;/

I dropped a tuff bowl and it broke despite the silicone sleeve. I still have one but I hardly ever use it. They're ugly, and after a while the silicone sleeve dries out and starts falling apart. I'd never buy another one.

pakalolo,
Top Bottom