The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
. . . You are again correct in stating that the material is placed between the stock SSV Wand screen and Q-elbow screen. . . .

And consequently the adapter screen, and its prerequisite ledge, are no longer factors?

EDIT: By the way, that often seen adapter with the "handles" comes from aqualabtechnologies.com, AFAIK the largest glass etailer in the U.S. Most if not all others I've seen have been made by individuals and sold on eBay, iOffer, etc.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
And consequently the adapter screen, and its prerequisite ledge, are no longer factors?

If the intent is to solely use the Wand to house the product, absolutely correct, so long as it's an adapter that fits in the unit and seats on the heater properly.

(Note: For my unit, I noticed more hot air from one side of the heater, so I left the F/F adapter screen in place to act as a diffuser. Between that and the elbow screen in the Wand acting as yet another diffuser, my product is much more evenly extracted from....

Da_Man

:rockon:

Hi oldiebutgoodie,
Correct. Originally, was just the F/F adapter and the stock Q elbow. Performance increased from both Elbow Packs and standard bowl loads (for me, elbow packs resulted in more vapor, standard load more flavor).

The along came Tweak :clap:, improving on perfection, he suggested the SSV Wand. And improve things it did! You are again correct in stating that the material is placed between the stock SSV Wand screen and Q-elbow screen. And as odd as it sounds, performance improved dramatically. Not sure on the technicals behind it, but a medium-strength draw results in the herb packing itself up against the SSV Wand Screen and performing like an Elbow Pack, but with less drag. A slower drag and you will be able to watch ALL your material dancing on top of the Q-elbow screen within the Wand.

On many occasions, I prefer a quick-strong session, whereby I can extract the most goodies with the least amount of draws. The F/F & SSV Wand combo allow just that. What used to take 20 draws to reach desired levels, now takes 4-5. And, on the chance that I'd prefer a slower, more-draw but more flavorful session, I simply load the F/F adapter and place the SSV Wand on top (using the SSV Wand in the same manner as the Q-Elbow), drop temp a bit. Then sit back & enjoy. :science:
Hope this helps!
DDave

Hi Liberty, depends on what you're looking for.
* Quick session: Starts and stops at max temperature you normally vape to. This gives quickest extraction.
* Flavorful Session: Starts low and stops at max temperature you normally vape to. This gives just about the same medicating experience, but you get to enjoy the flavors much more during the beginnings of the session.
* Some now, Some Later session: Starts and ends at low temperature, more of an uplifting-energetic effect. Then product is saved for later vaporizing at higher temperatures (more sedative, pain killing effect).
Hope this helps!
Vape On!

Hey Da_Man, I dont think that is the adapter that will fit nicely within the Arizer. Here's a picture of mine. Look at the middle ring section and at how they differ. The one I found fits very nicely. From feedback we see on this site on the other adapter, the center glass ring is too wide to allow the adapter to sit on the heater.
fnjj.jpg

Hope that helps! If you find other adapters, send the links my way and we'll eventually locate the proper adapter.

Vape On!
Okay DDave thanks a lot you and the other people on this forum are very friendly and helpful

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
So I'm sitting here having a session with my SSV when it occurred to me that the Standard SSV wand could possible be used to go directly onto the EQ's heater, skipping the F/F adapter and having the heat coming within millimeters of the material. :science:

You would have to tilt the EQ on it's side, but it would work as I just tried my wand on a 18mm male adapter. It wouldn't be hands free anymore but the clouds should be as thick as smoke, as the air would penetrate pretty deep before losing heat. The SSV GG wand should also work in theory, but the seal wouldn't be reliable as you would have to be completely flat with both male GGs ends. The standard wand would give you some wiggle room.

Man, I wish I had my EQ still, it was a blast to mod.

Da_Man

:rockon:

Hi oldiebutgoodie,
Correct. Originally, was just the F/F adapter and the stock Q elbow. Performance increased from both Elbow Packs and standard bowl loads (for me, elbow packs resulted in more vapor, standard load more flavor).

The along came Tweak :clap:, improving on perfection, he suggested the SSV Wand. And improve things it did! You are again correct in stating that the material is placed between the stock SSV Wand screen and Q-elbow screen. And as odd as it sounds, performance improved dramatically. Not sure on the technicals behind it, but a medium-strength draw results in the herb packing itself up against the SSV Wand Screen and performing like an Elbow Pack, but with less drag. A slower drag and you will be able to watch ALL your material dancing on top of the Q-elbow screen within the Wand.

On many occasions, I prefer a quick-strong session, whereby I can extract the most goodies with the least amount of draws. The F/F & SSV Wand combo allow just that. What used to take 20 draws to reach desired levels, now takes 4-5. And, on the chance that I'd prefer a slower, more-draw but more flavorful session, I simply load the F/F adapter and place the SSV Wand on top (using the SSV Wand in the same manner as the Q-Elbow), drop temp a bit. Then sit back & enjoy. :science:
Hope this helps!
DDave

Hi Liberty, depends on what you're looking for.
* Quick session: Starts and stops at max temperature you normally vape to. This gives quickest extraction.
* Flavorful Session: Starts low and stops at max temperature you normally vape to. This gives just about the same medicating experience, but you get to enjoy the flavors much more during the beginnings of the session.
* Some now, Some Later session: Starts and ends at low temperature, more of an uplifting-energetic effect. Then product is saved for later vaporizing at higher temperatures (more sedative, pain killing effect).
Hope this helps!
Vape On!

Hey Da_Man, I dont think that is the adapter that will fit nicely within the Arizer. Here's a picture of mine. Look at the middle ring section and at how they differ. The one I found fits very nicely. From feedback we see on this site on the other adapter, the center glass ring is too wide to allow the adapter to sit on the heater.
fnjj.jpg

Hope that helps! If you find other adapters, send the links my way and we'll eventually locate the proper adapter.

Vape On!
Hey DDave what about this one?

Link: http://www.amazon.com/18mm-Female-G...words=18+mm+female+18+mm+female+glass+adapter

Da_Man,

oldiebutgoodie

That piece appears to be narrow enough, so the adapter should fit OK. What is impossible to determine for sure is whether there is a "ledge" for placing a screen at the center. That said, it appears that those who have added the 7th Floor wand to the mod, have effectively replaced the adapter screen, moving the material from the adapter into the wand itself. So bottom line the ledge is only needed if the Q elbow is being used (the original DDave mod), it is not needed if the wand is added instead.

oldiebutgoodie,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
So bottom line the ledge is only needed if the Q elbow is being used (the original DDave mod), it is not needed if the wand is added instead.

I think Ddave's concern is the depth of the adapter, to make sure the EQ's GG male joint and the SSV wand's GG male joint don't collide on the inside. :shrug:

With just the right adapter the gap between the two joints could be narrowed significantly, putting the SSV wand right on top of the EQ's heater.

oldiebutgoodie

I think Ddave's concern is the depth of the adapter, to make sure the EQ's GG male joint and the SSV wand's GG male joint don't collide on the inside. :shrug:

With just the right adapter the gap between the two joints could be narrowed significantly, putting the SSV wand right on top of the EQ's heater.

Thanks. That's a nuance that apparently I missed.

Also adds clarification to my earlier question re added distance with the wand. If the wand fits inside the adapter that closely, it seems that it is nearly the same distance as having the material in the adapter.

oldiebutgoodie,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I think even with the screen in the middle of the adapter, there isn't much room above the screen like there is with the Cyclone, so the material just gets sucked up into the EQ elbow/SSV wand anyway. Kinda like when a normal Cyclone bowl is nearly spent and the material is much lighter, it gets sucked into the elbow screen.

The benefit to a screen though would be less chance of dust falling into the EQ's heater. Or if you forget to put the EQ elbow cap back on the SSV wand, :doh:.

tonytokes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251320479476?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

that would be the link for DDave f/f adapter.

Best way to go vertical with the balloon is to use the ssv wand like we are doing and cut a piece of omicron silicone tip to fit over the balloon end and go straight into the wands business end!!!
Ordered from this link and ended up being shipped this adapter (looks like a 18mm Female / 14mm Male) :huh:

gci9.jpg

Just contacted the seller and hopefully he can ship me the right adapter free of charge as I don't want have to deal with shipping it back or paying for shipping again. (The shipping of the adapter to Canada costed more than the adapter itself). :shrug:

tonytokes,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker

Hi Tweak and oldiebutgoodie, exactly right!

The mod combo of the F/F adapter and SSV Wand:
* Brings product closer to heating element.
* Gives much less resistance during a draw.
* Results in quicker, more complete extraction (dependent on one's vaping temp, draw style, etc...).
* And IMHO, provides a much better air path than the original glass configuration provided.
**** no screen ledge restricting airflow in adapter (vs. cyclone bowl use).
**** no 90 degree angle in air path, such as when stock elbow is used.
**** no significant reduction in air path size, such as when stock elbow is used.

And this, completely my humble opinion :worms:on performance gains seen.... believe the heated air flow goes from heater... to wide path through adapter, then funneled down (vortex) when traveling from adapter to wand opening.... and it doesn't appear the air path really reduces itself again until reaching the glass mouthpiece. I believe the performance gain can be at least partially attributed to the initial funneling-down of the airpath from adapter to wand and the subsequent slamming of that hot air into the now-pinned to the upper screen product; giving a kind of super-charged elbow pack type performance. :rockon:

Hey Da_Man, Now that looks like the adapter I purchased!
http://www.amazon.com/18mm-Female-G...words=18 mm female 18 mm female glass adapter

Vape On!

waitwhat

I've had an EQ for the past few years and would occasionally lurk these forums so first off I just want to thank all the regular posters for the awesome info over the years.

Two things in regards to outgassing. I know you guys said it is extremely unlikely, but how would you know if it was occurring? Also, is there anything you can do to avoid the possibility of it happening all together however unlikely that is?

I just unscrewed my unit for the first time and some excess material came out that must have fallen into the middle of the unit over the years. Is that at all related to the potential for outgassing or is it just a built-in possibility based on the materials used to make the EQ?

waitwhat,

TommydCat

The out-gassing I'm most concerned about is the discrete circuit semiconductors and capacitors which contain magical materials definitely never meant to enter one's lungs. Inhaling the atmosphere directly around a blown cap as it discharges would be very very bad, though ultimately unlikely to actually occur.

TommydCat,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Inhaling the atmosphere directly around a blown cap as it discharges would be very very bad, though ultimately unlikely to actually occur.

This is my concern. Capacitors do not last forever, they degrade over time. And they need to power to leak, so the unit would be running when it happens.

"Even if an electrolytic capacitor is simply unused for an extended period of time, the dielectric will degrade; the longer it is not used, the worse the dielectric becomes. The capacitance is reduced, and the leakage rate increases. If the leakage rate becomes excessive, there will be enough power dissipation in the package to cause the electrolyte to boil, rupturing the package forcefully."

I know nothing about the caps used in the EQ, but from the video on replacing the glass stem, they look like high grade caps.

Tweak,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
This is my concern. Capacitors do not last forever, they degrade over time. And they need to power to leak, so the unit would be running when it happens.

"Even if an electrolytic capacitor is simply unused for an extended period of time, the dielectric will degrade; the longer it is not used, the worse the dielectric becomes. The capacitance is reduced, and the leakage rate increases. If the leakage rate becomes excessive, there will be enough power dissipation in the package to cause the electrolyte to boil, rupturing the package forcefully."

I know nothing about the caps used in the EQ, but from the video on replacing the glass stem, they look like high grade caps.
Hey Guys,

Older caps used a liquid elecrolyte or oil, these are probably what you are seeing refered to as "leaking". :puke:

Modern start/ run caps are smaller and use metallised polypropylene material, there is no need for liquids to assist. Typical modern run capacitors shouldn't leak anything. :clap:

However, if anyone wants to disect their Aizer and reply with identifying information from the capacitors, I'm happy to verify this.

Thanks,
DDave

Vape on! :rockon:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Ever seen a green LED EQ?

That guy bought these and swapped 'em out. Looks pretty cool to me. :cool:

:peace:

Nice pic!

Here's some humerous pics so you can start your weekends with a smile!

Here's one of an EQ with it's "hair braided".. :ko:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn...k/v/vspfiles/photos/Arizer-Q-2.jpg?1316558484

Or this example of a sadly retired cyclone bowl? :cry:
http://vaporblog.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/MG_6235.jpg

Or this one, for which when I showed the picture to my Arizer tower, it rolled on the floor with laughter..
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416qvH6ydOL.jpg

Vape On! :rockon:

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
NOOB w older EQ, black not silver, 2007 on plastic bottom. What is difference?

RD,

oldiebutgoodie

NOOB w older EQ, black not silver, 2007 on plastic bottom. What is difference?

Take a look at the first page of this thread, dated 2010. Then these, started in 2008:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/first-gen-vs-second-gen-extreme.367/

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-extreme-vaporizer-thread-part-ii.28/

IIRC there have been 2 major and 1 or 2 minor updates in this period. All of these have a chrome housing. The current "minor" update included a change from the chrome to a black housing. Before '08, I don't know. But I wonder if you have a Tower rather than a Q???

If you do have a Q from that long ago, I think you're gonna need to read the first pages of the above threads and this one to find the changes with each update (so not too much reading, but some). The exception IIRC is the most current update, where Arizer claims about 30 improvements but AFAIK they aren't listed anywhere. All I can recall is the color of course, the temp settings are in 1 degree increments, few others small changes. The fan was changed, but not sure if that was the recent update or the one prior.

oldiebutgoodie,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
IIRC there have been 2 major and 1 or 2 minor updates in this period. All of these have a chrome housing. The current "minor" update included a change from the chrome to a black housing. Before '08, I don't know. But I wonder if you have a Tower rather than a Q???

If you do have a Q from that long ago, I think you're gonna need to read the first pages of the above threads and this one to find the changes with each update (so not too much reading, but some). The exception IIRC is the most current update, where Arizer claims about 30 improvements but AFAIK they aren't listed anywhere. All I can recall is the color of course, the temp settings are in 1 degree increments, few others small changes. The fan was changed, but not sure if that was the recent update or the one prior.

Quite sure it is newest. Got last year, Black housing, 1* inc. in C. Was aware of older versions and tried to be careful. Most pics have been sst or black crome, and just noticed the 2007, so thought I'd make sure.
Embosses in Bottom: "UQC group of Companies, Copyright 2007, all rights reserved, International Patents Pending", with white embedded tag below reading "N22D-07336". Also "QC passed" hologram in center of fan.
Anyhow, just tried elbo pac through bong for 1st time and am toast. Was starting to have my doubts after occasional use over the past year. Sure glad I found this site. I have so much to learn and so much experimenting to do. At 67 and living in Hawaii, I have been Old School for most of my life. Once I get my Ascent, I may never combust again.
Much Mahalo to FC and you sir

oldiebutgoodie

. . . At 67 and living in Hawaii, I have been Old School for most of my life. Once I get my Ascent, I may never combust again.
Much Mahalo to FC and you sir

Thank you.

Right, the 2007 only refers to the original copyright date. You do indeed have the newest version.

By the way, there are a number of us here in the Fall of our years (I'm 65) and there are many who after combusting for decades found vaporizing and haven't looked back.

Just the other day, a friend came over and took some hits off is pipe. I was shocked at how much I disliked it. And how much difference the flame caused. There is no way I could enjoy that again.

Lots of good fellow travelers here in this community. :)

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: Maine420

Maine420

GROOVY GRANNY
Granny here is 57. Just started vaping in August! Won't go back to smoking either! Yuk. I can't stand being around it! It tastes TERRIBLE when smoked!

Maine420

GROOVY GRANNY
I have the Solo and the EQ. Love the EQ, but really love the Solo. Does it's job well! I must say, I'm following the Ascent thread, that may come later down the road.
With the EQ, I elbow pack, and use the short whip, but it doesn't pull like the Solo.

Maine420,

samirfuzzywuzzy

Im just back to report that DDAVE and his findings are still in strong standings with me. I have found that the heat up time may be a little longer but 365f and below have become much more noticeable in terms of cloud density. Ive used a thermometer gun and verified that the glass around the "load" is much hotter then stock setup and further kept at such elevated temperatures with my shield (beer coozie). I noticed that this set up is also more efficient when sitting front of a fan or air vent.

20130906_180928.jpg

Note: In the pic the temp is not yet set and I usually dont vape at 383 unless the material deems necessary.

Top Bottom