The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Im just back to report that DDAVE and his findings are still in strong standings with me. I have found that the heat up time may be a little longer but 365f and below have become much more noticeable in terms of cloud density. Ive used a thermometer gun and verified that the glass around the "load" is much hotter then stock setup and further kept at such elevated temperatures with my shield (beer coozie). I noticed that this set up is also more efficient when sitting front of a fan or air vent.

20130906_180928.jpg

Note: In the pic the temp is not yet set and I usually dont vape at 383 unless the material deems necessary.

Hey samirfuzzywuzzy,
Great to see you again and very happy to hear the setup is still performing for you! Really awesome to see you're keeping the glass clean! I've noticed quite the difference, in mostly flavor and some in performance too, when the glass becomes a bit too "seasoned".

I really like your setup! A very Clean-Mean-Vapor_Producing Machine!!!!

I've got something new in the works, but not going to announce till I hit paydirt!

Till then, Vape On my friend! :cheers:
DDave

L27

I joined this forum after purchasing my first vaporizer, the MFLB I'll spare everyone the details because I'm sure you've all heard it hundreds of times before, the battery's annoyed the hell out of me. So I swiftly went up market and bought a Pax, I really like this vap but it's never really liked Me.. Great on the move but mine builds up resin fast it was also out of action for several weeks not responding to charge or operating, Ploom diagnosed moisture in the unit (My Pax is now in full working order).

Being unlucky with the Pax experiencing problems so soon I now own a EQ and I love the thing overall an excellent vaporizer. I've read from roughly post 10 - 116 a lot of information is not fresh in the mind unfortunately, hopefully some of you would be nice enough to check I'm getting near enough the full potential out of this unit.

I vape both Sativa and Indica strains with the EQ's cylone bowl tending to preheat for at least 15 minutes at 230°C with fan 3 on for several of those minutes, I then drop the temperature down to 195°C. After 5 minutes during which I usually grind my herb as fine as my space case can collecting all the THC from the teeth. I place the ground herb onto a stock screen slightly raised by bending the edges that sits inside the cyclone bowl. I lightly distribute the herb so that it is level in the bowl never do I pack the herb in anyway. Using the stock whip I get on average 3 great tasty hits then I feel the need to increase to 200°C to produce a level of vapor density I like getting me once again on average 3 hits before doing the same progressing by ten degrees each time I stop at 220°C.

My primary use for MJ is to help me sleep, I suffer terribly from insomnia, so I want CBDs, I do medal with the fan but I would like to know when it's best use is with the whip. I also understand draw technique is important but should I see the herbs starting to be pulled up or should they always remain stationary.

Any's knowledge would be very helpful, Thanks.

L27,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
In what way is it more efficient?
Hi Vapologist, samirfuzzywuzzy is refering to heat retention of the glass pieces when he mentioned efficiency.

I also understand draw technique is important but should I see the herbs starting to be pulled up or should they always remain stationary.

Any's knowledge would be very helpful, Thanks.
Hi L27, the herbs starting to be pulled up is exactly what you're looking for when using the cyclone bowl. That motion helps extract the goodies from your product. A good progression from here is experimenting with the "elbow pack".
For more efficient extraction & a more powerful punch, see previous entries refering to the DDave F/F adapter and SSV Wand.

Vape on! :science:
DDave

Vapetologist

HamsterDAMAGED
Time to get a laser thermometer and check all my vapes. Fan on, fan off, insulated or not, etc, and make a chart and see exactly what we are dealing with for the whole range. Just curious.

Vapetologist,

L27

see previous entries refering to the DDave F/F adapter and SSV Wand.
Thank you for letting me know about the draw method any information on fan use with the whip?
I live outside of the U.S so pretty difficult to get my hands on both a suitable F/F or the SSV Wand separate. Cyclone bowl does me more than fine since raising the screen. I've failed to get satisfactory results with an elbow pack with the herb I tried. Thanks.

Last edited:
L27,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
DDave your method has cut my usage in half. Quite vaked right now. Thank you so much for finding this. I honestly feel like I will never need another desktop unit.
Hi goatgobaahh,

It's really great to hear the setup is working for you! :tup: Really awesome to hear of the conservation of product as well!!!! Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully, others will follow and be able to experience the true power possible from these units.

I too feel the same, that I may never need another desktop unit as well! (And I am one who LOVES new toys!!!!)

I will continue to look into other glass configurations that may yield even better performance, or allow easy processing of other types of materials such as oils or concentrates. And will again share any success stories as I'm able.

Have an awesome weekend! :rockon:

Vape On!
DDave

Detonator

Elbow packing really cut my consumption down, I feel like I get more out of less weed when I use the elbow pack method in the eq. Simple glasss options I really like are that you can use any old pull style bong with the stock hose. Lhs are practicly giving away old pull style bongs.

Nesta

Hey samirfuzzywuzzy,
Great to see you again and very happy to hear the setup is still performing for you! Really awesome to see you're keeping the glass clean! I've noticed quite the difference, in mostly flavor and some in performance too, when the glass becomes a bit too "seasoned".

I really like your setup! A very Clean-Mean-Vapor_Producing Machine!!!!
I've only used my SSV wand a few times so there's not much build-up yet. But I'm eyeing the screen in the wand & wondering how to clean or replace it when the time comes. Is that screen accessible, or do you just iso soak the entire wand? If so, does the screen come clean?

Has anyone replaced the screen in the SSV wand? How hard a job is it?

Nesta,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Elbow packing really cut my consumption down, I feel like I get more out of less weed when I use the elbow pack method in the eq. Simple glasss options I really like are that you can use any old pull style bong with the stock hose. Lhs are practicly giving away old pull style bongs.
This is my current setup as well. 0.15 packed with golf tee (had to sand to fit, but makes a great tool), pre heat CB 230C fan 3, for 5 min. Shut off fan, drop temp to 210C / 410F, add elbow, hook to bong, and wait 5 min. The hard pack in the elbow causes more drag than the bong. Allows for long even draw. I don't unhook tube and shotgun, but do finish each draw away from bong to wash it all down, leaving the bong full and ready for next hit. What amazes me is how long this will keep hitting, and how evenly and nicely browned the ABV is after timer shuts down after an hour..

RD,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I've only used my SSV wand a few times so there's not much build-up yet. But I'm eyeing the screen in the wand & wondering how to clean or replace it when the time comes. Is that screen accessible, or do you just iso soak the entire wand? If so, does the screen come clean?

Has anyone replaced the screen in the SSV wand? How hard a job is it?
Hi Nesta, while I've not yet had to replace the screen, I do ISO soak the whole SSV Wand. Wand and screen have come out spotless each time.

When I received my SSV Wand, it came with three replacement screens. I noted that these things were thick! I dont believe I will need to replace for a very long time. Also, since replacements were included, also deduced the screens were meant to be replaced at some point. I've seen descriptions of bending the screen to allow it to be slipped into the wand (from the ground glass end), then worked back into flat shape by means of toothpick and longer stick (shish kabob skewer). I'll try to find the details or link again.

DDave

Nesta

Hi Nesta, while I've not yet had to replace the screen, I do ISO soak the whole SSV Wand. Wand and screen have come out spotless each time.

When I received my SSV Wand, it came with three replacement screens. I noted that these things were thick! I dont believe I will need to replace for a very long time. Also, since replacements were included, also deduced the screens were meant to be replaced at some point. I've seen descriptions of bending the screen to allow it to be slipped into the wand (from the ground glass end), then worked back into flat shape by means of toothpick and longer stick (shish kabob skewer). I'll try to find the details or link again.

DDave
Thanks DDave.

While we're talking about screens, is there such a thing as a 'quality' screen? Or are they all pretty much the same? I'd like to control the purity of the vapor path as much as possible & was wondering if some screens might give off any chemicals that we'd inhale.

Nesta,
Reactions: DDave

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Thanks DDave.

While we're talking about screens, is there such a thing as a 'quality' screen? Or are they all pretty much the same? I'd like to control the purity of the vapor path as much as possible & was wondering if some screens might give off any chemicals that we'd inhale.
Hi Nesta, looked briefly online for some info on screen quality, but nothing definitive. I was more comfortable with stainless steel screens, than I was with brass... but that's just personal preference.

Anyone with further info?

DDave

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Thanks DDave.

Stainless steel strongly resists corrosion except under unusual industrial conditions. It is virtually impervious to water and air. Regardless of what unit it is used in or how, it will remain inert and not react with materials from the unit or externally.

Brass is an alloy that is made from composition of copper with a number of other metals or minerals. One of those is lead. Brass is subject to corrosion and can break down eventually. I would think that inexpensive brass screens are probably from China or similar, no telling what the composition would be (other than probably cheapest and unregulated).

I think there may be screens which look like stainless or brass but in fact are neither. Cheap alloys can be made to look as such with coatings.

Personally, I'll stick with stainless from a reputable source.

Nesta

Stainless steel strongly resists corrosion except under unusual industrial conditions. It is virtually impervious to water and air. Regardless of what unit it is used in or how, it will remain inert and not react with materials from the unit or externally.

Brass is an alloy that is made from composition of copper with a number of other metals or minerals. One of those is lead. Brass is subject to corrosion and can break down eventually. I would think that inexpensive brass screens are probably from China or similar, no telling what the composition would be (other than probably cheapest and unregulated).

I think there may be screens which look like stainless or brass but in fact are neither. Cheap alloys can be made to look as such with coatings.

Personally, I'll stick with stainless from a reputable source.
Thanks, that's good information- especially knowing there could be lead in brass screens.
Are all the screens that come from Arizer, original & replacement, made from stainless steel? Including the elbow screens?
Could you share a few of your reputable sources for stainless screens?

Nesta,

oldiebutgoodie

I think Arizer's are all stainless. I almost never use screens any more, haven't bought any in years. You should be alright buying directly from the manufacturer or from an authorized retailer like Puffitup. There is a list of recommended vendors on this site, probably all of which are Arizer authorized.

oldiebutgoodie,

Throwie

So while my LSV is out of commission, I've gone back to using my EQ - with a few modifications. ;) (sorry if this has been suggested before)

I bought a cheap 18 male to male and decided to experiment. http://i.imgur.com/PNjEIBd.jpg
Couldn't get a stainless steel screen inside the space, wouldn't bend properly. I did manage to fit a brass screen in their though. I felt it was a bit far away so I added another screen closer towards the top of the joint, http://i.imgur.com/H3ko3AH.jpg http://i.imgur.com/DW3xLWn.jpg

Kind of like the EQ screen but without the metal ring so I can squeeze it in there.
It fits perfectly and allows me to add a nice little amount of herb while still being able to stir between hits.

39O5R2a.jpg

Not as sleek/easy to use as the LSV but I've been getting similar hits, think I'll use this adapter in place of the WPA when I get my LSV back.

Last edited:
Throwie,

liam1243

Hi I'm using the f2f adapter with the ss wand but seem to be getting wispy hits no where near as good as when I use the f2f adapter and the standard elbow pack or even using the f2f adapter and standard elbow use. Why might this be thanks

liam1243,

oldiebutgoodie

@DDave . . .

Finally I got a chance to check out the F/F ledge-screen mod at work. I gave the adapter to a friend who uses the Q as his daily driver. I had a $.25 size screen from a old box vape bowl, worked perfectly. He's using the Arizer elbow short-whipped to a nice Dirty Rico stemless bubbler with a circ. Holy shit, he is getting serious clouds now at 200C, backs off to 185C for relaxed sipping. With his draw he can essentially elbow-pack it, or he can cyclone it. The stock Cyclone bowl is history. Working so well he feels no need to go to the SSV wand.

Gotta say man, you hit a grand slam with this mod. :clap:

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
@DDave . . .

Finally I got a chance to check out the F/F ledge-screen mod at work. I gave the adapter to a friend who uses the Q as his daily driver. I had a $.25 size screen from a old box vape bowl, worked perfectly. He's using the Arizer elbow short-whipped to a nice Dirty Rico stemless bubbler with a circ. Holy shit, he is getting serious clouds now at 200C, backs off to 185C for relaxed sipping. With his draw he can essentially elbow-pack it, or he can cyclone it. The stock Cyclone bowl is history. Working so well he feels no need to go to the SSV wand.

Gotta say man, you hit a grand slam with this mod. :clap:

So is this just using the F/F from Amazon on previous pg with a screen in it? Primary diff being shorter adapter = herb closer to heat source. Waiting for reply to hit order button.

RD,

oldiebutgoodie

So is this just using the F/F from Amazon on previous pg with a screen in it? Primary diff being shorter adapter = herb closer to heat source. Waiting for reply to hit order button.

I don't know. IIRC @DDave got his off eBay, and so did I. You need the adapter to have a ledge at the middle to hold a screen the size of a quarter. And it can't have handles that make the piece to large to clear the top opening of the shell.

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: liam1243
Top Bottom