The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

liam1243

I think that one might be to long, I have that one and when I use it with the the ss wand it doesn't have the same results ddave has been talking about

liam1243,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
After no response, I ordered that one last night. Will give it a try and report back.
So which one, is THE correct ONE? Link would be appreciated.
Just going with OrigDD for now but will add the SSVwand in the future.

Last edited:
RD,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Hi I'm using the f2f adapter with the ss wand but seem to be getting wispy hits no where near as good as when I use the f2f adapter and the standard elbow pack or even using the f2f adapter and standard elbow use. Why might this be thanks

Hi liam1243, can you describe your setup and product used? Please include all glass pieces, screens, products, and temperatures used. A picture would be great too...

@DDave . . .

Finally I got a chance to check out the F/F ledge-screen mod at work. I gave the adapter to a friend who uses the Q as his daily driver. I had a $.25 size screen from a old box vape bowl, worked perfectly. He's using the Arizer elbow short-whipped to a nice Dirty Rico stemless bubbler with a circ. Holy shit, he is getting serious clouds now at 200C, backs off to 185C for relaxed sipping. With his draw he can essentially elbow-pack it, or he can cyclone it. The stock Cyclone bowl is history. Working so well he feels no need to go to the SSV wand.

Gotta say man, you hit a grand slam with this mod.
Hey oldiebutgoodie, Thanks! Am glad you've seen a performance improvement as well. The elbow pack was really great with the F/F, but for me the SSV Wand made it so much easier for me to deal with a session. Having a screen seal the product on both ends and being able to remove the wand and shake instead of stiring met my quick session needs. Thanks for providing this feedback!

So is this just using the F/F from Amazon on previous pg with a screen in it? Primary diff being shorter adapter = herb closer to heat source. Waiting for reply to hit order button.
Hi RD, Mostly, yes. F/F minimizes distance between product and heater... but also has an unblocked airpath, unlike the cyclone with it's screen-holding ledge that reduces the size of the airpath.
Vape On!

cawshook

Solod out.
Should I go for the Extreme Q or V-Tower if I mainly wanna use a whip and use it for one or two people max? Does the fan make a difference in terms of how harsh the hit is?
Should I just get the Solo with a hydrotube? Does the Solo offer the same vapor quality? I know its a portable, but I would use it mainly at home and at friends' houses. I dont think its an on the go vaporizer.

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Should I go for the Extreme Q or V-Tower if I mainly wanna use a whip and use it for one or two people max? Does the fan make a difference in terms of how harsh the hit is?
Should I just get the Solo with a hydrotube? Does the Solo offer the same vapor quality? I know its a portable, but I would use it mainly at home and at friends' houses. I dont think its an on the go vaporizer.

I don't think there has been a survey, but from the comments in this long thread I recall very few who use the fan with the whip. I did for a while when I was having bronchial problems, as an alternate to blowing a smaller bag (for a quick session). IME the fan didn't make a hit harsh, but it does increase the air ratio. And Fan 3 pushed the vapor too quickly, forcing me to sort of gulp, It's also a bit of a nuisance; you either have to clear the whip of vapor each hit and then prime it next time, or leave vapor in the whip for the next hit. Bottom line, for direct draw with either of these machines IME the fan doesn't work well. (Btw, for direct draw on these machines I highly recommend DDave's bowl adapter mod for increasing vapor density; you need that or elbow-packing to get as dense a hit as an SSV.)

I don't have enough experience with the Solo to make a comparison.

oldiebutgoodie,

phazedout

quick question, my glass mouthpiece for my stock bag/baloon setup and cyclone bowl and elbow were broken by a friend of mine
im just wondering to replace them and use bag method could i use this F/F glass part
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18mm-Fema...704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a30f37ba8)

and the ssv wand instead of the elbow? or is the stock elbow better?
was looking at this one (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHIP-FOR-...?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3a859c57b4)

im in the UK aswell am i safer ordering the stock parts or is it really worth getting the f/f adapter and ssv wand? more into bags but if the whip is better for getting the most out of it ill go with it

phazedout,

icemeltman

I was hoping to find out what is connected to the SSV wand to keep the herb in the tube. I attached the wand to the female adaptor.

samirfuzzywuzzy, And It did!!! What an amazing combination and change in performance with F/F adapter and SSV Wand (regular, not fatty wand, as the regular wand would hold alot of material if desired).

On Tweak's advice and TNK's idea, used the SSV Wand in conjunction with an elbow screen. Whip tubing in the SSV Wand at approx the same length as the EQ whip. First thing I noticed = Where did the drag go? :o Seriously, there was barely any drag in relation to the stock EQ whip! What a nice change that made! :nod: Second thing I noticed was getting blazed and unable to continue a normal length session. Seems to be able to more effeciently extract vapor from the product with about 1/2 the draws normally required when using an EQ elbow.

Amazingly, I thought I was happy with just the improvements from the use of the F/F adapter. This is yet another variation on the glass used with the EQ that has yielded another VERY nice set of results. From my experience, the F/F and SSV Wand combo would make a great hit and run session for one, or packing the wand a bit more, a nice quick shared session.

So, with the pieces I have to mix & match, I have the following configurations and experience:
- Stock Elbow and Cyclone: standard EQ performance
- Stock Elbow and "DDave F/F adapter" used in Cyclone bowl mode :cool: = less product used, more flavor, greater number of flavored draws.
- Stock Elbow and "DDave F/F adapter" used in Elbow Pack mode = increased elbow pack performance significantly, more vapor.
- SSV Wand and "DDave F/F adapter" = Much greater vapor, greater extraction from each draw. LESS DRAG! I believe this will be method of choice now! :tup:
- SSV Wand and stock Cyclone Bowl = TBD (to be determined, not tested yet).

I remain amazed at the versatility of the unit and the variations in performance dependent on the glass pieces used. I feel like I have 4 different units that can be brought out dependent on the type of session desired (ex. quick and powerful, slow and flavorfull, highly sedating or boosting energy).

Have an awesome weekend everyone! :party:

What is used with the ssv wand and DDave F/F adapter? Do I need another type of whip? I have only used elbow packs. I had been using the F/F adapter with good results, so I just got the ssv wand.

Mod note: When possible, please avoid making back-to-back posts in a thread. Use the Edit feature located at the bottom of your posts. Posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
icemeltman,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Does standard size 5/15 x 7/16 silicone hose work with the SSV wand? Found 5' High Temp NSF-51 silicone tube available at McMasterCarr, my online hardware store. P/N 3038K19 for $8.45

Last edited:
RD,

oldiebutgoodie

Does standard size 5/15 x 7/16 silicone hose work with the SSV wand? Found 5' High Temp NSF-51 silicone tube available at McMasterCarr, my online hardware store. P/N 3038K19 for $8.45

Please don't hold me to this, but from earlier posts IIRC the SSV tubing is 3/8". The elasticity is important (e.g., that tubing works on Arizer's 5/16" fittings), which (again testing my memory here) I think is termed the "durometer".

oldiebutgoodie,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Please don't hold me to this, but from earlier posts IIRC the SSV tubing is 3/8". The elasticity is important (e.g., that tubing works on Arizer's 5/16" fittings), which (again testing my memory here) I think is termed the "durometer".

So is 3/8" the ID or OD of the tubing for the SSVwand

Pulled the trigger for the 5' of std EQ size last night. I'll make it work. If not, need to buy correct hose but still can't find it.

Last edited:
RD,

tonytokes

Got my DDave adapter, SSV wand and Honeycomb bubbler all at once on Saturday and all I have to say is I am extremely, extremely impressed. I fell in love right away:love:.

I have read this thread quick a bit, and I am wondering if anyone has used the DDave adapter or even the DDave adapter plus the SSV to fill bags? Is there also a big improvement in filling bags with the adapter? Is bag filling performance best better with the DDave adapter + regular elbow set up or DDave adapter + SSV wand?

Also, because I have only been packing in the SSV wand I haven't been required to put a screen in my DDave adapter. @DDave would you be able to show me what screen you used and how you placed it in the DDave adapter? Sorry, I swear I have seen a post of you explaining it before and I tried looking for it but right now at this moment this new set-up has gotten me so vaked, it's hard to navigate through these forums. :hmm:

Also, does anyone having trouble with the EQ screen fitting on the SSV wand too loosely and falling out some time? If so how did you fix it?

Last edited:
tonytokes,
Reactions: DDave

oldiebutgoodie

So is 3/8" the ID or OD of the tubing for the SSVwand

Pulled the trigger for the 5' of std EQ size last night. I'll make it work. If not, need to buy correct hose but still can't find it.

Sorry about that; it's the ID. If the EQ tubing you bought is the stock pvc, I think you'll have a problem with it on the SSV; it has very poor elasticity. If you bought silicone in the Arizer stock size of 5/16", it will probably work again as long as it has decent elasticity, which silicone used for this purpose usually does. This is what many of us here use with the EQ:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMWTSY[/URL]

Click at top of page to see all the sizes avail. There is 3/8" x 9/16" x 1/16"; I suspect that is the SSV size (you can check that thread). The durometer is 50, highly elastic.

oldiebutgoodie,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Sorry about that; it's the ID. If the EQ tubing you bought is the stock pvc, I think you'll have a problem with it on the SSV; it has very poor elasticity. If you bought silicone in the Arizer stock size of 5/16", it will probably work again as long as it has decent elasticity, which silicone used for this purpose usually does. This is what many of us here use with the EQ:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMWTSY[/URL]

Click at top of page to see all the sizes avail. There is 3/8" x 9/16" x 1/16"; I suspect that is the SSV size (you can check that thread). The durometer is 50, highly elastic.

Thanks oldie. I think the actual SSV spec is 3/8" x 1/2" x 1/16".
What I bought IS the 50 duro silicone in std EQ size. I should be fine. McMasterCarr has all sizes and 5' and 10' lengths. Very reasonable.

RD,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Got my DDave adapter, SSV wand and Honeycomb bubbler all at once on Saturday and all I have to say is I am extremely, extremely impressed. I fell in love right away:love:.

I have read this thread quick a bit, and I am wondering if anyone has used the DDave adapter or even the DDave adapter plus the SSV to fill bags? Is there also a big improvement in filling bags with the adapter? Is bag filling performance best better with the DDave adapter + regular elbow set up or DDave adapter + SSV wand?

Also, because I have only been packing in the SSV wand I haven't been required to put a screen in my DDave adapter. @DDave would you be able to show me what screen you used and how you placed it in the DDave adapter? Sorry, I swear I have seen a post of you explaining it before and I tried looking for it but right now at this moment this new set-up has gotten me so vaked, it's hard to navigate through these forums. :hmm:

Also, does anyone having trouble with the EQ screen fitting on the SSV wand too loosely and falling out some time? If so how did you fix it?
Hi tonytokes, sorry for the delay. Sometimes a bit difficult to get online.

Glad to hear you've seen an improvement!!!!

Anyhow, have not used bags to date. Have to defer this question to others.

Regarding the screen in the DDave Adapter, I'm not using the SSV Wand screen in there. I believe it's too small. I am using a screen that is the same size, exactly, as a US quarter. To insert it, I slightly rolled it, so it looked like a taco shell with a round fold (not pinched flat). I inserted it into the adapter sideways (think pointy end of the taco shell) and pushed it to the middle of the adapter. From there, a pair of chop sticks, one on each end, and was able to get it set in place and bent back straight.

I must say the screen in the adapter has been very long lived... I dont see needing to replace it for a long time.

Hope this helps!

DDave - Vape On!

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
First off, my thanks to Oldie, D Dave, and the others on this site for all the information and experimentation.

So I got my f/f yesterday, good fit and I like the look better. No ledge. Found .75 sst screens at hardware store.The screen floats in the center. Wand and tubing maybe today. Hope so.
Elbow hit now consumed quicker and a good hit., but think my ABV was more consistent with the slow burn of the original CB. I seem to be getting a more pronounced burn in the center of the puck with lighter ABV towards the edges, topping out at 392. I will have to play with this a bit to get it right. There are so many variables to vaping, that one small change usually requires reacquainting oneself with the unit.

I'm pulling off the elbow, down a 6" whip, thru an old bong that looks like Genie lives in it. Sometimes I think she does.

RD,
Reactions: Nesta

icemeltman

Hi Nesta, Here's the pic. Red line shows where the standard SSV Wand screen is housed. The green circle shows the Arizer Elbow Screen inserted (upside down).

I don't pack as heavy as in this pic. About 1/2 the quantity. At a slightly higher draw rate, the herb packs at the top screen and performs like an "elbow pack" would. At a slightly slower draw rate, I can watch the herbs dance around on top of the elbow screen. So vapor density can be controled by your draw rate and can be light or dense depending on your preference.

nzvv.png

@tonytokes, wasn't ignoring you. I thought you had the link already to the SSV Wand on ebay, as you captured it when you quoted me above. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/271242678548?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_600wt_885)

Vape on everyone! :wave:
I am still confused about using the ssv wand. I started with the 18mm female adapter which worked well, and hearing the comments about the ssv wand I ordered. Now not sure. Should I load from the bottom and close with the elbow screen, and draw from top, or do I need a whip and mouthpiece. I only ordered the wand. Would greatly appreciate any help.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I am still confused about using the ssv wand. I started with the 18mm female adapter which worked well, and hearing the comments about the ssv wand I ordered. Now not sure. Should I load from the bottom and close with the elbow screen, and draw from top, or do I need a whip and mouthpiece. I only ordered the wand. Would greatly appreciate any help.
Hi icemeltman, Yep, you've got it. The elbow screen is by far the easiest to remove and replace, so loading is done at the bottom.

So goes a little like this... with small pile of ground up herbs, I remove the elbow screen from the bottom of the wand, then drawing on the whip I suck up all the ground herb into the wand. After, place the elbow screen into the bottom... Loading (and subsequent unloading) is really simple now.

I tried just the SSV Wand, with no whip, and while it worked the vapor was was too hot.

Hope that helps!

DDave - Vape On!

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Hi icemeltman, Yep, you've got it. The elbow screen is by far the easiest to remove and replace, so loading is done at the bottom.

So goes a little like this... with small pile of ground up herbs, I remove the elbow screen from the bottom of the wand, then drawing on the whip I suck up all the ground herb into the wand. After, place the elbow screen into the bottom... Loading (and subsequent unloading) is really simple now.

I tried just the SSV Wand, with no whip, and while it worked the vapor was was too hot.

Hope that helps!

DDave - Vape On!

Got the wand and using as described above but don't seem to be getting the results. ABV is very light in color at 410, and I'm sure it has more. Elbow hits in the orig CB/EL had a much more even and complete burn at same temp and bong set up.

DDave - you going off whip to glass or just hitting whip? What is your normal temp/time cycle? I should have taken notes as I read through this. So much information.

Love the ease and the new look, but not the results. I am sure it is a matter of new technique. I will just have to continue testing but would appreciate suggestions.

Mahalo!

RD,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Sorry, "Won't let me edit" Logged off and back on still no luck. Won't let me "like" a lot of times either.

So I tried an elbow hit in above rig and OMG. Thank you all so much. Using the bong and seeing it chug chug into the wand was the proof I needed that this was everything I hoped it would be. Still a bit lighter AVB at 392 then orig rig elbow at 410 and twice the goodies IMO.

Still confused why I'm not getting results in DDave's sandwich method as noted in above post .

I am blown away by performance and literally.

pedrodepacas

Hey phazedout, just one thing. You will need a "ground joint" ssv wand, not a "standard glass" like that ebay link you posted. I am still trying to find a ground joint wand here in the uk too. Actually even a 18mm F/F adapter is being hard.

Take care

pedrodepacas,

Nesta

I'm pulling off the elbow, down a 6" whip, thru an old bong that looks like Genie lives in it. Sometimes I think she does.
Hey RD - That made me laugh. And it sounds like you're having fun too!

Nesta,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Sorry, "Won't let me edit" Logged off and back on still no luck. Won't let me "like" a lot of times either.

So I tried an elbow hit in above rig and OMG. Thank you all so much. Using the bong and seeing it chug chug into the wand was the proof I needed that this was everything I hoped it would be. Still a bit lighter AVB at 392 then orig rig elbow at 410 and twice the goodies IMO.

Still confused why I'm not getting results in DDave's sandwich method as noted in above post .

I am blown away by performance and literally.
Hi RD, glad to hear you've seen a nice performance increase as well!

I believe there are a few factors involved here that result in us seeing differences in performance of this setup. First off is our local ambient air temperature. In my location, we've just gone from 90 degree days to the 60's. And with this change in the weather, I've noticed I needed to bump up my vaping temperatures a bit to compensate. The other issue is I believe our different units will have slight temperature variances and my machine set to 392F degrees will probably be running a different temperature at the herbs than yours, even if you've set to the same 392F.

Vape On!

I've owned my Extreme Q 4.0 for almost a year now, and I feel I'm still struggling with it sometimes. I strictly elbow pack, and after a good warm up, I have no issues with using the whip. It works so well that I cough my ass off sometimes. My problem is when I try to blow a bag.. They barely have any vapour in them. I haven't tried using the cyclone bowl in a long time to blow a bag but I don't see why the elbow pack shouldn't work. My ganja is ground up very fine and is nice and dry, I also don't pack the elbow too tight. My temps are 200-220C. 200C in an elbow pack is a nice 'energetic' stone, where as 220C is a good right before bed stone. It really bums me out because the bag fills up with air but no vapour and then the ganja is brown!

ridethespiral,

pedrodepacas

IME you will have better results filling a bag if you use the cyclone bowl with a bigger amount of herb (comparing to a elbow pack). I dont think you can fit enough herb in the elbow for a full on bag or two. I pre-heat the EQ (max temp) with the cyclone on for a few minutes, lower temp to 190c, put the herb and the elbow with bag in, wait another few minutes e fill the bag. All 3 fan speeds seems to work good but i normally use speed 3 and get great bags full of vapor.

Hey phazedout, just one thing. You will need a "ground joint" ssv wand, not a "standard glass" like that ebay link you posted. I am still trying to find a ground joint wand here in the uk too. Actually even a 18mm F/F adapter is being hard.

Take care

found it: http://www.marketplace-brighton.co....fer-spares/silver-surfer-handblown-whip-green

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
pedrodepacas,
Reactions: Maine420

oldiebutgoodie

I've owned my Extreme Q 4.0 for almost a year now, and I feel I'm still struggling with it sometimes. I strictly elbow pack, and after a good warm up, I have no issues with using the whip. It works so well that I cough my ass off sometimes. My problem is when I try to blow a bag.. They barely have any vapour in them. I haven't tried using the cyclone bowl in a long time to blow a bag but I don't see why the elbow pack shouldn't work. My ganja is ground up very fine and is nice and dry, I also don't pack the elbow too tight. My temps are 200-220C. 200C in an elbow pack is a nice 'energetic' stone, where as 220C is a good right before bed stone. It really bums me out because the bag fills up with air but no vapour and then the ganja is brown!

Try using the cyclone bowl loosely filled about 1/3 to the black. You may be getting enough heat to bake the herb, but the fan can't push vapor all the way through. Stir once or twice. Also, don't attach the bag, just use the short whip without it and see if vapor flows on Fan 3. Worth a try.

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: MayaMayhem
Top Bottom