• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The CVault - Climate Controlled Storage

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
A couple months back I was contacted by a company called Freshstor about a soon to be released herb storage system called the CVault. I'm a little late with this as they launched their website last week but let's talk about the CVault.

bt89x.png

Perfectly cured cannabis is a beautiful thing. The aroma, the texture, the flavor. Looking at some of the thread titles in this section it's clear that many people are conscientious about preserving that optimum state. There are many opinions on the subject but an inert, airtight container such as a mason jar is widely agreed as being the best starting point.

When I first heard about the CVault system I was skeptical - there are so many gimmicky new products that are inferior and more expensive than readily available counterparts. However, after some consideration I kept an open mind. On paper there are a few advantages to the Cvault when compared to the tried and true mason jar:

Light proof - Over time light can degrade THC. It's not that hard to keep clear jars in the dark but it's easier to just not worry about it.

Durability - I love glass but mason jars can break if dropped. For the application, stainless steel is just as inert and although I haven't tested it myself I'd imagine these CVaults could be thrown off a building with only cosmetic damage. Apparently whipping one against a cement wall results in dentswhipped against wall and floor

Humidity Control via Humidipaks - Humidipaks are small, condiment sized packets that maintain a predetermined relative humidity by adding or removing moisture. You can read more on the Humidipak website here. Through testing, Freshstor determined that 62% Humidipaks were best for this application. The underside of the CVault lid holds the Humidipak.

I received the small and medium size CVaults. The first thing I did was take a big whiff inside the containers. I have a pretty sensitive sense of smell and for something like this any detectable odor is an instant turn off. I was happy to find absolutely zero smell. No rubber smell, no chemical smell. Nothing.

Fit and finish is good all around. I don't know what type of stainless steel is used other than food grade but the finish is nice and shiny. Thick enough to be tough but not overly heavy. The triple latch system works very well - when you close it up it sort of feels like locking up a vault. The latches themselves are welded on and look like solid, quality parts. Same goes for the silicone rings which are beefy and have no smell. Overall it's a smart and simple design. Nice.

The Test
After removing the Humidipaks I gave the containers a wash in warm soapy water, and being a bit obsessive I used a pointy knife to carefully remove the silicone rings for the initial cleaning. The rings are friction fit into a groove, no adhesives are used. There was a little bit of dark residue in the grooves and on the back of the rings, presumably a remnant of the stainless steel fabrication process. Not a huge deal as it would likely not have been in contact with anything on the inside, and if you're paranoid like me you'd probably wash them first anyway. After a thorough towel and air drying, the rings were fairly easy to push back into the grooves.

I had a very nicely cured, dense 7g nug which fit into the small container with plenty of room to spare. A similar nug was placed in a mason jar. I opened them briefly every few days or so to check them out but did my best to leave them alone, only picking off tiny log-vape-sized bowls.

After the first two weeks I could tell the flower in in the mason jar was noticeably drier than the nug in the CVault which was like the day it went in. It's been about 50 days now and the CVault bud is still damn near perfect. Probably not exactly the same, with oxidation slowly occurring but to my eyes, nose, and palate it's at least 95%, while the mason jar nug is crumbly dry and has undergone a significant change in flavor and aroma.

Initial Conclusion
It's nice when a product surprises you. I was skeptical in the beginning, but after living with these for a couple months I'm sold and won't be going back to mason jars if I have the choice. The Humidipak system works incredibly well - it's sort of uncanny to open up the vault and find your flowers in the same condition they were when you put them in 2 months ago. Freshstor's website says the CVault is to storage, what the grinder is to preparation. A bold statement, but with performance and convenience level so high I wouldn't necessarily disagree. And considering the excellent build quality, additional functionality and very reasonable prices I won't hesitate to buy more CVaults before tracking down 62% Humidipaks and throwing them in a mason jar.

I'm sure I managed to type a novel and miss the important questions so ask away. I'm really excited for people to try these for themselves and I managed to get 3 small and 3 medium to give away but more on that later.

First day.

50 days later. Lighting is close but it was overcast in this pic.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Interesting, Vtac.

Quick question: How long do the humipaks last? Do you have to change them often, or do they last awhile?

:peace:

Stu,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
According to Freshstor they last 60-90 days in the CVault. You can tell it's time to replace when the gel-like feel of the pack turns hard. I've got a bunch of the standard 75% cigar Humidipaks and in my experience those numbers are accurate. I've only had the CVault system for 50 days but the paks are still gel.

At $1.25 per 62% pak it's pretty cheap to maintain the system. :)

vtac,
Reactions: ataxian

hereatlast

IME, when storing in a mason jar its important to leave as little 'air space' as possible for long-term storage. Sometimes my jars are too big (even the small ones) and I'm left with a bud stored in a jar with more air-space then I'd like. The result is often a dryer, relatively duller tasting bud (potency hasn't been affected much IME).
vtac, do you think that the Cvault is up to the task of eliminating this air-space issue? Could you put a small bud in the larger CVault and a similar sized bud in the smaller and the end product would be the same?

Regarding size: just how much could you stuff in one of these? Looks very comparable to those small mason jars?

vtac said:
I don't know what type of stainless steel is used other than food grade but the finish is nice and shiny.

Their website says this:
The CVault is constructed of 18/10 food grade stainless steel

Also, just for reference: the small Cvault is $20.95; the medium is $24.95; the large is $28.95.

Thanks for bringing this up vtac, my interest is piqued.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
vtac, do you think that the Cvault is up to the task of eliminating this air-space issue?
It doesn't have any vacuum capability but after 50 days it seems that maintaining the RH has been the deciding factor.

Could you put a small bud in the larger CVault and a similar sized bud in the smaller and the end product would be the same?
I haven't tried this but I agree it makes sense to put an appropriate amount in the container. For those that prefer a bone-dry product to vape, you can just break off a little nug and let it sit out for a couple hours - nice and dry while maintaining a full flavor.

Regarding size: just how much could you stuff in one of these? Looks very comparable to those small mason jars?
It would depend on factors like the density and shape of your flowers, but if you wanted to really pack it in there's a lot of space. For reference, that's a (dense) 7g flower in the small container shown in the picture above.

vtac,

SD_haze

Now all someone needs to do is make the Cvault vacuum sealed closed and it'd be perfect!

I've never seen that in anything but the tight-vacs but being plastic always thought those could strip trichromes off in a way that glass/steel wouldn't.

SD_haze,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
This looks like it would be a great travel container for when you have to drive "dirty". I would still put it in a thermos in the trunk like the lawyers recommend though.

t-dub

t-dub,

max

Out to lunch
Sounds like a good product, especially with Winter coming. You've got my interest up. :nod:

max,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
t-dub said:
This looks like it would be a great travel container for when you have to drive "dirty". I would still put it in a thermos in the trunk like the lawyers recommend though.

t-dub

I was thinking the same thing - this is usually my biggest complaint when I have to drive dirty.

Even in the grinder, my herb starts to stink out the whole car (making me PARRRRRRRRRRANOID!!!)

AGBeer,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
I think I am going to snag up one of the medium sized ones. I am looking for a good storage solution for my important herbs. This can be open/closed with ease correct? I would leave all my ROCKSTAR nugs ready to go for a vape run when needed :)

Elluzion,

SD_haze

@ vtac

You didn't mention how smell-proof it was.
It's pretty tricky to get a jar absolutely 100% air tight / smell-proof

Does the tripple lock do this?

For example, with strong smelling herb within, can you smell the *seams* of the lid with no odor after a number of hours have passed?

SD_haze,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I'd say it's at least as air-tight as a mason jar. The silicone seal is thick and the triple latch system provides a very solid seal. Could be way off but I'd guess that stainless steel is comparable to glass as far as permeability goes.

That being said, as I understand it, no container is smell proof. Given enough time, smell will permeate any container to some degree. This is why dogs find drugs that are hidden in packages within gas tanks.

vtac,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Yeah, if the dogs get involved you're cooked, but my main concern is not giving probable cause to the human cop on a routine traffic stop. I think this container, in my drink cooler in the trunk, would be enough to avoid the situation. The "not glass" part of the equation is important as well. I don't drive "dirty" unless I absolutely have to. I have not had a traffic citation in many years, but you never know. Sometimes things just go wrong. I know I have a card and all but I would rather not see how that part of the system operates.

t-dub

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
AGBeer said:
t-dub said:

t-dub

I was thinking the same thing - this is usually my biggest complaint when I have to drive dirty.

Even in the grinder, my herb starts to stink out the whole car (making me PARRRRRRRRRRANOID!!!)

AG, a little paranoia can be a healthy thing! If I could detect any smell what-so-ever in the cabin of my vehicle I wouldn't drive it. But that is just me. Just because you're paraniod doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. :suspicious:

t-dub

t-dub,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
i have heard good things about the freshnstore packs, so i can accept that 60% humidity (or so) is about right for long term storage. is it the best humidity level for vaping? do you notice more/less dense clouds? or just explain the differences in whatever way makes sense to you if you would vtac, thanks.

whats your opinion on the 3 fastners - will they last after months of use? screw tops on mason jars are foolproof.

also, it is possible to get a vacuum attachment for mason jars - so it wouldn't matter how much 'airspace' is in the jar hereatlast. and i think you may have better luck with long term results by vaccing your jars.

notmyrealUSERname,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
For home storage, vacuum packing with an oxygen absorber is what I use right now. I have a FoodSaver with the wide mouth jar attachment that we have been using to put up long term storage foods. I might consider adding a humidity pack to my 1/2 gallon Mason Jars I use at home. I realize that a FoodSaver is expensive and not an option for many, I am lucky we had one already.

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=9066

t-dub

t-dub,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
is it the best humidity level for vaping? do you notice more/less dense clouds? or just explain the differences in whatever way makes sense to you if you would vtac, thanks.
I don't believe there is a "best". As with most things it comes down to personal preference. From my experience, flowers from the CVault vape the same as when you get a new, perfectly cured bud. Some prefer this as it tends to provide a more flavorful hit. Those that prefer a drier product can take a small bud from the container and let it sit out for a couple hours. I go back and forth but tend to go for the flavor most of the time.

whats your opinion on the 3 fastners
Check my posts above. ;)

also, it is possible to get a vacuum attachment for mason jars - so it wouldn't matter how much 'airspace' is in the jar hereatlast. and i think you may have better luck with long term results by vaccing your jars.
Vacuum sealing might be the way to go for very long term storage, but from my experience here it appears that maintaining a perfect humidity level is far more beneficial for "normal" storage use. Vacuum sealing also involves considerably more effort and means you can't open the container as you please. As I mentioned earlier, even though there was plenty of airspace (check the picture to see how much) it hasn't appeared to matter with the CVault system.

Anyway, let's keep this thread on topic, there's already a vacuum sealing thread.

I do understand the skepticism, and my opinion is just that, so I'm really interested to hear what other people think. I hope we'll hear from the the first 6 people who posted in this thread after they've had a chance to use theirs. Contact me with your shipping information and whether you'd like a small or medium. :D

vtac,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Wow, thanks for the schwag, vtac!

I was thinking about picking one up anyway, so you just made my weekend! :brow:

Stu,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
vtac I am absolutely blown away. Thank you so much. This is going to be my "go to" storage container for when I pull meds out of long term vacuum storage and my sole travel container as well. Many, many thanks.

t-dub

Edit: I think my brother would love one of these as a holiday gift so I'll definitely be ordering one with extra Humidipaks. If you buy 6 the price drops to $1/each.

Edit: Just ordered. Couldn't even wait to see mine first. Now my bro will be happy as well.

t-dub,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
:lol: dammit, I missed the boat - I couldn't complete checkout and so had been busy emailing the manufacturer about the international shipping! I wish I'd posted it here! "Not until December" was the answer, because they're still new....

@T-dub- does that wide mouth jar attachment actually stay on the jar lid in place of the original (so you need one for each jar, or can you use it to seal several jars and somehow fix the original lid in place under vacuum? And any reason why it wouldn't work with a hand pump (brake bleeding style)?

WatTyler,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Heck yeah! This will be an interesting contrast as I use several jars - a main one for normal storage and one for ready usage.

Thanks again! If it works as advertised then I might end up using as little glass as possible!

AGBeer,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Very good review, will most likely be getting one of these is the future.

ThusSpakeLinda also posted a review if any one of you guys wanted more visuals of the CVault.

paytonpenn,
Top Bottom