• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The CVault - Climate Controlled Storage

SD_haze

Good Thursday!

Simultaneously received the Cvault, the Kindle Fire, and a new laser printer in the mail today haha

I remembered V-tac washing his out first *after* I transferred my herb from the mason jar, so I ended up calling their phone number on the website & connected to Gary (president of Freshstor)
Very passionate guy and his verdict on washing was it certainly couldn't hurt but there's no specific kind of residue from manufacturing.
Its not made in China, but it is made in korea, so its not the *worst* idea for sure

First impressions:
It's awesome!

I got some super super stinky herb and with the silicone seal + tripple latch, I cant detect any smell from the sides of the lid after a while (you'd be surprised how many glass jars fail this test)

I love how lightweight it is, big improvement over glass for sure.

Here's the little shpiel it comes with
cvault.jpg

SD_haze,

hereatlast

Got my Cvault in the mail as well today, a big thanks to vtac and Freshstor.

I cleaned my Cvault with warm water and soap before use. After that I (carefully) stuffed the Cvault full. I opted for the smallest version and am very happy with the size. While this size Cvault doesn't fit my whole stash I tend to like a smaller jar in general so that I can consistently stuff it full (and keep even smaller jars around for the 'leftovers' or to really 'archive' something).

Build quality of the Cvault is very clean: everything fits together flush and I see no blemishes. I have to admit, there's nothing absolutely astonishing about the aesthetic. It's not a product I found myself gawking at after opening; I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing (it serves a simple function as well obviously). Once you understand the placement of the Humidipak (easy as pie) all questions are answered it seems.

Ultimately I think the Cvault is a great container. A long-term observation will shed light on the efficacy of the Humidipak but the way that this feature is implemented is smart and simple. Its nice that the Humidipak is separated physically from your herbs. The triple-lock is a nice assurance (along with the ring inside) that everything is air-tight.

I've never had an issue with glass jars in the past when used optimally but its plain to see what the Cvault brings to the table (IMO). I likely won't open my (full) Cvault for a couple weeks so I'll be sure to report back then. At this point I don't see a reason I wouldn't reach for the Cvault over a mason jar (though I won't be phasing those out anytime soon either) of comparable size given the advantage of maintaing a set humidity. Really, a well executed product that I look forward to using often and consistently.

hereatlast,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Okay, chalk me up to yet another that received their Cvault today as well!

I opted for the medium and to be honest I was kind of surprised at its size! (Its larger than I had anticipated - no such thing as 'too big' though) ;)

First impression reminded me of those stainless mixing bowls we have in our turnstyle (along with the glass bowls and funky bundt/angelfood pans) Upon further inspection, Vtac had it pretty much point on.
Solid clasps, airtight seal, no 'cross threaded' jar lids that make you struggle like a madman to get them open, and an all around sturdy feeling - (plus the comfort of knowing that it wont break if I accidentally drop it) THIS is one of the reasons I plan to pick up a couple more smalls for my normal 'rotation' stash, and skip jars as much as possible.

Like I said, I was kind of taken back as to how much space the medium CV can actually hold. I would say that it should have no issue easily holding an ounce without having to cram it in. Im rather interested in seeing how big the small CV's are, but in this case Im already sold on the product - size doesnt matter. ;)

Ill be back in a month or so to report on the freshness of my stored buds. Those little 68% packs are a trip. They kind of remind me of a (tiny) thawed ice pack (you know the ones with the jelly stuff in them)

AGBeer,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Since it would be pointless to rehash the excellent reviews here, except to confirm them, my main focus on the CVault is going to be the "smelly-proof" test, which will help determine fitness for travel, and as a daily use storage container for medicine retrieved from long term storage. I did not remove the friction fit seal like vtac did when I cleaned my CVault so we are going with the factory fit. There was no odor from the product what so ever before I cleaned it and that was nice. I got the medium size CVault so I went and got enough meds to fill it over 1/2 way, a lot of very stinky stuff, and then sealed it up. So far no smell at all but the real test will be my spouse later tonight. She doesn't like the smell so if it is at all detectable she will let me know. I am just going to leave the container near her desk without saying anything and see what happens.

t-dub

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I got mine today as well. It gave me a reason to pick up some fresh sticky stuff to test out. Not that I really needed a reason. :brow:

I plan on letting it sit for a month or so. I look forward to opening my little time capsule and will report back with results.

BTW I got the medium, too. I looks like a good size for an oz. Mine is 3/8 full right now (guess how many 8ths I bought today?).

Thanks again vtac!

Stu,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Well I am happy to report that the smelly-proof test went perfectly last night, the wife could smell nothing. Even putting the canister directly under her nose, nothing. And that is saying something since she finds the odor of cannabis "offensive". That means the CVault is going to be the perfect travel solution for me. As far as the daily goto storage container so far all is well, will report as significant results become available.

t-dub

t-dub,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
My small showed up today, so I have a small and a medium in my arsenal now :brow:

I dig em, and I ended up disposing a couple of my bulky jars as well. The medium comfortably holds an oz, and I would say the small comfortably will hold up to a 1/2. (might be a wee bit tight)

I like them because they are stackable, and Gary said he had larger and larger sizes depending on customers needs/requests. As an addition to my stash box, I am more than pleased :D

I also had one sent to a buddy of mine. Ill get his opinion on them eventually - hopefully he enjoys it as much as I do!

AGBeer,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just wanted to chime in and report that my CVault is working fantasticly. I bought a couple of special strains today that I wanted to preserve for as long as possible. So I opened up my CVault for the first time in several weeks, and all the buds in there were still as fresh and juicy as the day I put them in there. I think some of them actually got a little more full than they were when I put them in. My original humidipak is still soft, so I guess it's stll doing it's thing.

One recommendation I would make is to have a standing order of humidipaks an available option on their website. I don't like the idea of buying several at the same time as I can only use one at a time and I'm afraid the extra ones would dry out while waiting to be employed. If there was a way that I could get a fresh one automatically sent to me every 90 days in the mail, it would make for super easy rotation of the humidipaks with zero thought. I'd gladly pay a few bucks every three months on my CC knowing that I'd get a fresh humidipak in the mail when it's time to "re-load".

:2c:

Stu,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I'd be confident that they come in a sealed packet, otherwise there's a very limited shelf life for retailers.

I've been looking everywhere to get hold of some of these 62% Humidipaks, but with no luck. Freshstor still aren't shipping internationally, and the distributor they put me on to over here isn't showing anything online yet. They don't even seem that widely available yet in the USA. I think I need to contact Humidipak directly- but the good news is that there seems to be 2 sizes- 4g and 8g. I'm assuming that the CVault takes the 4g (can an owner confirm?) , and that the 8g size will be good for long term use in larger jars.

I wonder is there any relationship between the quantity of humidipak used and it's longevity (ie, sticking two in would last longer than one, in an enclosed environment)?

WatTyler,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Wat, you are right. The Humidipaks come in a little plastic bag and as long as you keep them sealed up they wont out gas their moisture. I purchased 6 extras and just went and threw them on the scale for you. Each one weighed exactly 8.2 grams, no weight or size listed on the packet itself. As long as you can get close to the 62% humidity I think you will be fine. I think the ones they use for cigars are close.

t-dub

t-dub,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Thanks very much for that t-dub. I did manage to find some at PlanetVape that have just gone up on the website, and they do cheap international postage and an FC discount. I've got 10 on the way :brow: No more orange peel for me.

WatTyler,

hereatlast

For sure, get rid of that orange peel!

My CVault passed the couple week inspection mark as well recently (second 'round' of testing); biomass is very well preserved. I will say, while I have been enjoying the extra security of the CVault (the latches provide visual and physical evidence of 'air-tightness' while the implementation of the Humidipak is smart) I am not completely sure that I would recommend them to uninterested parties (not everyone has a 'thing' for storage toys ;)) since, IMO, optimal storage can also be achieved with mason jars.

I traveled recently with the CVault and felt additionally safe re: odor protection. Also, everyone that has seen the CVault has certainly inquired about it.

Re: Humidpaks: Saw some recently at a local cigar shop so I think I'll be restocking at that location. Not exactly sure if the one's they had in the shop were the precise specs. that shipped with the CVault but I'll make sure they're close enough before purchase.
Stu, I think you're onto something about the "standing order;" heck, that might be something for the Humidpak brand to think about as well :cool:

hereatlast,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I wasn't aware of how the humidipak are packaged (the one that came with my unit was already "active" and not sealed in anything protective), but I've just ordered a 6-pack online, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I also picked up a couple more medium CVaults to give as Xmas presents to a couple of friends. Ho, ho, ho!

:peace:

Stu,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I cant remember how they are packaged. I have a handful of them stashed in my stash spot.

I will say that these things have started to grow on me a little more (especially the small one) I have some GDP/TrainWreck that is a bit dry in the jar. After a week or so in the Cvault it appears to have gotten that 'sweet spot' of moisture content. Ill have to do a side by side of what I have left in the jar vs whats in the Cvault currently.

AGBeer,

chimpybits

Just wanted to add to the information regarding Humidipak shelf life.

I emailed PlanetVape about this and they responded as follows:
"Since it is a new product we dont have firsthand experience over a long time period with it. Unless you want to buy 60 at a time, they wont be in the original sealed bag. What we were told by the manufacture is to keep them tightly sealed in as small an airspace as possible and store them off the floor at room temp, in the dark.

When we sell them, we put two humidipaks in to a low odor re-sealable bag. The special low odor bags minimize air leakage to hopefully keep the humidipaks fresh longer. The manufacture claims 12-15 months of storage using this principle".

PlanetVape emphasized that these "...instructions are from Freshstor the CVault mfg. as they have not been available to any distributors long enough to conduct first hand testing."

So, I think we can tentatively take the 12-15 months figure as the shelf life (at least from PV or when stored in low odor bags).

chimpybits,

jackmormon

Have had a small and medium CVault for about a month now. I am totally in love with this product. I have some ~4 year old Lavender that is stored in a mason jar and is bone dry. It has very little flavor and produces noticeably less vapor than most of my other strains. Potency is still there (only a slight decline.) After 2 days in the CVault the Lavender looked and smelled like a recent, perfectly cured harvest. I have never felt comfortable "re hydrating" herb until the CVault due to mold concerns. After getting the CVault treatment, the Lavender was back in the game with flavor and vapor production. These things will keep a perfect cure perfect and have the added bonus of being able to "refresh" really dry/long-term stored herb.

BTW-I am storing my extra humidipaks in the bag, inside of the small CVault.

jackmormon,
Reactions: Enchantre

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Another benefit I have noticed is that the mirror finish on the bottom of the CVault, on the inside, seems to be great at collecting Keif. I can tap the container and get a nice bit of crystals to add to a bowl if I want.

t-dub

t-dub,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
LOL It appears that the bottom of my Cvauts tend to get a little 'oily' as well is kiefey.

The humidipaks seem to fare just fine in the (thicker gauge) ziploc bags that I have them stored in. My original ones in the Cvaults are starting to show crystallyness around the edges. But still good to go!

Oh and to reiterate Jacks point - Thats just insane isnt it?! I love it!

AGBeer,

Longbones

Hmm. I'd like to get a small one of these, but I rarely pick up more than an 8th at once while I'm at school. As cool as this system is, the extra room for oxygen makes it less than ideal for me.

If the guys from Freshstor ever get onto this threada travel, 3.5g sized version of the CVault would be ideal for an on-the-go container, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Edit: Put another wayshould I worry about the extra free space in the CVault? Would you say the quality of the system is worth it anyway? I rarely have more than an 8th on me, but may start buying 1/2's. It's a bit cheaper for me. Would 1/2 fit in the small size consistently? From reports it seems so, but a confirmation would be nice?

Haha, after browsing the net for other options, there are very few small metal or glass airtights that are up to snuff :(

Longbones,

chimpybits

Back from 420 fun with pressed kief and hash.

I've been storing my hash chunks in the CVault along with my buds. This looks to be fine for the pressed kief too. I have also at times used a loose pocket of parchment paper to hold my hash when it gets crumbly - in order to separate it from the green. What do you think of this method for my new pressed kief and hash?

Another question: what do think is better dark warm room or fridge?

I now have my CVaults (in cardboard box with silica packs which is) in the crisper drawer of my fridge. As summer comes on I don't have a cool room so think fridge is better choice. Not sure what the fridge does in terms of humidity levels versus room...

chimpybits,

max

Out to lunch
If the CVault can't control humidity, then the product is a failure, since that's what it's designed to do.

I've got one of these around the house somewhere. If I can find it I hope it's got some herb in it. If I can't I hope it's empty.

max,

chimpybits

So you think combining weed and pressed kief or hash in the same CVault is fine?

Do concentrates have the same humidity and temperature recommendations as flowers?

chimpybits,

jackmormon

chimpybits, this is just my experience. I *LOVE* the CVault for flowers but I would not keep kief in there. I put about a gram in the was in a wax paper fold and it definitely absorbed moisture and turned kind of clumpy. It also changed colors after drying out. Still vaped OK though.

EDIT-My kief was loose. I think pressed kief may absorb enough moisture that it might fall apart.

jackmormon,

chimpybits

chimpybits, this is just my experience. I *LOVE* the CVault for flowers but I would not keep kief in there. I put about a gram in the was in a wax paper fold and it definitely absorbed moisture and turned kind of clumpy. It also changed colors after drying out. Still vaped OK though.

EDIT-My kief was loose. I think pressed kief may absorb enough moisture that it might fall apart.
OK, what do you recommend for the kief then? My place is getting warmer every day so I'm tempted to store in the fridge more and more. Tin foil?

chimpybits,

jackmormon

I keep mine in tinfoil inside of a "lock tite" tupperware container in the freezer. A small glass jar would also work. The big thing is to minimize moisture/humidity getting to the kief.

A CVault without the humidipak would also work great I think.

jackmormon,
Top Bottom