The 2016 Presidential Candidates Thread

BD9

We should not become so desensitized to the amount of discourse to allow for this to become acceptable or palatable. I was moved by the Khans when they openly addressed (and re-addressed) this issue in their own way. Sadly, Trump couldn't even bring himself to turn the moment around for himself and then immediately tried to turn the suspicion onto the family and try to pick apart at anything to shift the question off from him and onto the family. Exactly when he should have focused on the message they were trying to convey. :disgust:

I draw the line where a candidate can be threatened to be tarred and feathered and rode out on a rail. Or 'holding their 'feet to the fire' if they don't keep the campaign promises that I voted for. (Even Hillary uses that phrase. I found out.)

Also found it disturbing that Christie was leading an incoherent "burn the witch" chant on the RNC floor. Why hasn't he faced the same rebuke?

Does anybody think that with enough outside pressure that Trump could become exasperated enough to quit the race? :D

I agree. It seems that these people, and there have been far too many, that are calling for her to be shot and hanged are doing so with such anger that I feel it could actually happen. Calls for tarring and feathering seem tame and juvenile in comparison.

trump won't quit. No matter what. His arrogance won't allow it. The only plus to his staying in the race is he makes Hillary look good. If he, trump, quits and say Romney enters I think the Democrats would be in trouble.

BD9

I think the nomination would automatically go to the VP, eh? Wonder what the rules are.....

Hmm. Good point. I think as riled up as the evangelicals are they would have a huge turn out with Pence being the candidate.
Pence is the embodiment of a false profit. I have marched against many of his disastrous 'laws' in my state. This guy is a real piece of work. A bigot and a liar all under the guise of being a Christian.

I will be more than happy to give him up, but I love my country and wouldn't wish that on anyone..... :rant:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Trump chickening out, taking his ball and going home would be a mixed blessing. The closer to the election the better I think, but I think Pence might have a better chance of winning. He is certainly a better human being than Trump, but the prospect of him being President isn't very appealing.

All in, I would rather Hillary run against Trump. Pence would be better at not running against himself...

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Trump Prepares to Lose
by Martin Longman
August 2, 2016 12:00 PM

The Clinton campaign had a response to the news that Donald Trump is trying to mainstream Alex Jones-ism by worrying publicly that the November election may be stolen from him.

Brian Fallon @brianefallon
Even for a reflexive conspiracy theorist like Trump, this is pathetic. It's dangerous, too. https://twitter.com/politico/status/760369803345403904?s=03 …

Personally, I prefer Greg Sargent’s take on it:

Is it possible that Donald Trump has begun to contemplate his own political mortality? Is it possible that Trump, who had previously boasted to GOP primary audiences that he would beat Hillary Clinton “easily” — has begun to contemplate the possibility that he might lose the presidential election?

It is perhaps not a coincidence that Trump has suddenly stopped tweeting about polls (which are now showing Clinton taking a meaningful lead) at precisely the moment that he is escalating his efforts to cast doubt, in advance, on the legitimacy of the general election’s outcome.​

Earlier today there was some confusion about a poll showing Clinton up by one point in Utah (the poll doesn’t exist), but as far back as mid-July Clinton’s chief strategist, Joel Benenson was listing Utah as a target state:

BENENSON: Ohio is going to be close. I wouldn’t call it a redrawing. Here’s what I think about the map. It’s going to be a close race. But there isn’t any state in the battleground universe where Donald Trump will force us to play defense.

But there are other states where it becomes very problematic for Republicans. A state like North Carolina — in 2004, Republicans probably felt pretty comfortable there. They don’t now. States like Arizona and Utah, if we can make them play defense there, which is very plausible because of the kind of divisive candidate Donald Trump is, it puts more pressure on them.​

Those comments were made prior to the two parties’ conventions, but they still look solid. The last three polls out of North Carolina show Clinton in the lead, including the latest by NBC/WSJ/Marist that shows her up by six. Arizona has been lightly polled, but Huffington Post has Clinton up by one tenth of a percent in their aggregator. And, while there’s no new poll out of Utah, there have been two this year showing Clinton tied there and all but one poll has shown Trump polling below forty percent.

I’d like to add to this that the most recent poll out of Missouri (by Mason-Dixon) has Clinton up by a point there, and that a Republican pollster released a survey yesterday showing the race tied in Georgia.

That’s a lot of defense that Trump is already having to play, which is one reason why I questioned his decision to campaign in Colorado. Mike Pence is scheduled to be in Denver and Colorado Springs tomorrow. Hopefully, he won’t get stuck in any elevators and need the assistance of any fire marshals.

BD9

But his ego will. He would much rather quit under HIS own terms rather than lose under someone else's.

I think he will do ANYTHING in his power to not lose. Quitting would certainly qualify.

I do not see him quitting.

I have to agree with @Silat on this. I'm no trump historian but it seems this guy doesn't quit anything from what I've read. He's able to spin things to make it seem he won.

As @cybrguy's post implies, trump seems to be finding a way to place blame on why he lost. That leads me to believe he has no intention of dropping out.
I can't say I hope I'm wrong, because as I stated earlier, Pence could beat Hillary. This is why as I've also said before votes matter.

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
I can't say I hope I'm wrong, because as I stated earlier, Pence could beat Hillary. This is why as I've also said before votes matter.

Pence is a loser. He has not had to face the music so to speak. If he were the candidate his failures would be apparent to all.
Christian Extremist
Failed governor
K0CH puppet

That is the shortlist.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Just for the record, I am NOT expecting Trump to quit. But it is clear to me that he is clearing the runway just to be sure there is a way to NOT LOSE should his loss become certain (in his mind).

As much as Donald would LOVE to play the martyr, I think he would much rather hang himself than have someone nail him to the cross...

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Trump may not have won the presidency but make no mistake about it....he has already made all this worth while for himself whether he wins or not.
While it is true that he has made a lot of money (millions) for his family by making them the vendors who get paid for all his political activities (speeches, rallies, fundraisers, etc), I think that all the bad publicity he is getting is hurting his brand. All the trades know that going forward he has a rep for not paying them. All the investors know that he tends to close projects and walk away with deposits. Anyone who might consider trump products or seminars know that his claims are all bogus and the products are made overseas.

There is a certain segment of the population who may not care about those things. But I think many, and maybe most will.

I don't think this campaign is going to be the $$ generator that he thought it would be...

neverforget711

While it is true that he has made a lot of money (millions) for his family by making them the vendors who get paid for all his political activities (speeches, rallies, fundraisers, etc), I think that all the bad publicity he is getting is hurting his brand. All the trades know that going forward he has a rep for not paying them. All the investors know that he tends to close projects and walk away with deposits. Anyone who might consider trump products or seminars know that his claims are all bogus and the products are made overseas.

There is a certain segment of the population who may not care about those things. But I think many, and maybe most will.

I don't think this campaign is going to be the $$ generator that he thought it would be...
He mustered a tidy profit off the campaign which can be spun as aptitude. The publicity you note I also think keeps support in the closet. Linking your brand to Trump is chancy at this time.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Hillary is getting the majority of the Bernie People's vote. Only 3% is going to Trump. The rest is going to Gary Johnson then Jill Stein.

How about Trumps response when the veteran gave him his Purple Heart? Trump had a stupid response, "I've always wanted one. This was way easier." Then he out it in his pocket. Trump assumed it was the original.

I had read in an article it was a copy of the original that was given to the man. I'm glad it wasn't the original.

Edit
Tump saying if he doesn't win the election it won't be his fault. The system is rigged. He's setting his followers up to challenge the results if he's not elected. He's a very dangerous person. Some don't see this. It's mind blowing to me.

Last edited:

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
There is something far too off about his reaction to the Khan family. It is more than even he seems capable of. It's one thing to say he sacrificed to succeed, I'd honestly expect no less from him, but the veracity of his relentless assault just makes me think this may be some sort of exit strategy.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, intentionally or not he has hit a really raw nerve and can't stop poking it. There is no defense for it. It is either very stupid or very canny. I am having difficulty believing that even he wants to go out this way...

I have to go with stupid.

Bdubbdiblets

Eric Trump just said his sister Ivanka would "never allow herself to be sexually harassed"

How offensive is this to women? Especially those that have been harassed? Or really any human that has endured harassment? As if one can simply choose to not be harrassed anymore!! This is getting more and more absurd by the moment!! I've never refreshed my fox and cnn screens so many times in one day!! Like watching a scary movie that's real!:popcorn::(:uhoh:

Last edited:

Bdubbdiblets

kicked out a crying baby right after saying he loved babies..

Received a Purple Heart from a vet and said, I've always wanted one and this is much easier and then put it in his pocket..

Ducked the draft several times in Vietnam..

Son said he apologized to khan family..he didn't...

This is crazy I can't keep up!!!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The Trump kids don't live in the real word. They have no concept of what real life is all about. Same with their dad. Their dad is instilling in them his values. I've read stories about all the kids acting spoiled and self absorbed including Ivanka.

Trump doesn't have empathy for people. We are seeing that's hard to hide.

Edit
Trump just said he hoped Ivanka would quit if she was sexually harassed. Most woman don't have that luxury. Again that family doesn't live in the real world. Ivanka could quit because she has a lot of money.

I had read the Purple Heart was a replica. I'm not sure if that's true?

Last edited:

lwien

Received a Purple Heart from a vet and said, I've always wanted one and this is much easier and then put it in his pocket..

Just the fact that he accepted it says everything one needs to know.

It just boggles my mind that he can't wrap his around the fact that if he would just have said, "No thank you. I'm not worthy of this and neither is anyone else who has not served on the battlefield in the protection of this great country of ours.".

A statement like that would have a positive impact on his poll numbers. Of that, I have no doubt. It just goes to prove that his ego takes precedence over EVERYTHING, including winning the election.

Last edited:
Top Bottom