Discontinued Supreme Vaporizer

SD_haze

Nycdeisel said:
I think I was lost in translation somewhere... what adapter are you speaking of?
i posted a video of it in the earlier post but removed it so no one tries it and breaks their glass.

i was fitting a 14mm female to the supremes mouthpiece metal tube and it worked for a while but then chipped

SD_haze,

Nycdeisel

ah. I looked at the bare tube once and it looked to be a size that might work in that application but its not practical or safe over time for your glass or adapter.

Nycdeisel,
So I jammed the silicone mouthpiece piece real semi-permanent like into the Magickwand bowl top, and am using that as an adapter. I'm actually liking it! I'm sorry to hear you chipped your adapter SD but it gave me inspiration to try this, and I really like the change. It's nicer just sliding a GonG piece in and out rather than messing with the silicone, jamming it in and then rocking it carefully out.

charliedontsurf,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Tried your convection method last night cds, however, I got surprisingly little vapor. I think I need to try it again because I wasn't very successful. Are you sandwiching your herbals between two screens inside the wooden body where the metal straw/mouthpiece would normally fit? In other word, the screen (with handle) that is supposed to stop your herbals from getting sucked out of the heating chamber, becomes the first screen and you put your herbals on the "wrong" side of it. Then another screen on top to keep the herbals from coming out of the sv during use. I did this and I had just enough room to seat the mouthpiece in - it was not very stable.

On to the results: i was not happy with the vapor produced this way! Does it take a lot of drawing/inhaling to start the vapor production? I have heard on whip based Vapes you need to suck for a while to get the vapor through the long whip, I felt like this was what I was doing with your method cds. Not satisfying! I went to 330f. I didn't think it would be safe for my sv to go higher. I am worried that the difference in expansion rates between the metal and wood would be too great. I think this is why your sv has cracked. Your sv is the first one I have heard of having an issue like that. I think it's because of your convection style usage.

I may try this method once or twice more just so I can understand it better but I think if a person wants a convection style vape they should buy one instead of trying to adapt the sv fir that style.

notmyrealUSERname,

SD_haze

notmyrealUSERname said:
Tried your convection method last night cds, however, I got surprisingly little vapor. I think I need to try it again because I wasn't very successful. Are you sandwiching your herbals between two screens inside the wooden body where the metal straw/mouthpiece would normally fit? In other word, the screen (with handle) that is supposed to stop your herbals from getting sucked out of the heating chamber, becomes the first screen and you put your herbals on the "wrong" side of it. Then another screen on top to keep the herbals from coming out of the sv during use. I did this and I had just enough room to seat the mouthpiece in - it was not very stable.

On to the results: i was not happy with the vapor produced this way! Does it take a lot of drawing/inhaling to start the vapor production? I have heard on whip based Vapes you need to suck for a while to get the vapor through the long whip, I felt like this was what I was doing with your method cds. Not satisfying! I went to 330f. I didn't think it would be safe for my sv to go higher. I am worried that the difference in expansion rates between the metal and wood would be too great. I think this is why your sv has cracked. Your sv is the first one I have heard of having an issue like that. I think it's because of your convection style usage.

I may try this method once or twice more just so I can understand it better but I think if a person wants a convection style vape they should buy one instead of trying to adapt the sv fir that style.

Yes the convection method takes place in the wooden body with the herb sandwiched between two screens. If i have time ill make a video altho my screens have no handles so it may look a lil clumsy

Secondly, it takes time for vapor production because all the air has to be pushed through the 80+ heating element slits. Before youd get vapor right away from conduction but it takes a few secs and then the convection hits the herb.

I do agree about it might not be as safe to go higher than 330 consistently but ive been having great results with 240-330. Also, it WOULD be easier to get just a convection vape, i didnt quite realize how much conduction was involved with the supreme when i got it and the flavor difference alone is enough for me to stick with the convection for now.

BTW you said everything didnt seem very stable, you have to adjust the mouthpiece tube so it presses against the screen and holds it. Takes a lil effort yes but worth it imo

edit: forgot to mention, i like convection a lot mainly because i do a lot of solo vaping. In that situation minimizing passive vaporization matters big time, but if you used it in a group of only 2-3+ the supreme would get hit enough for the conduction method to similar efficiency probably (just big flavor losses).

one last thing id like to mention for making convection work better, a fine fine grind is perfect, i fill up my herb grinder so it makes a very fine consistency instead of the coarser i get from just throwing 1 bud in. And if you can, try to situate most of the bud in the middle above the heat tube.

SD_haze,
notmyrealUSERname said:

On to the results: i was not happy with the vapor produced this way! ...

So first goes in the NON-handle screen, then the material-to-be-vaped, then the stock handled screen. So that's the stock screen that goes in is the only one that you'll be removing and reinstalling on any regular basis. The material is flattened in place, like say in a Cano, or how I personally use my HA. I think you had such a bad experience because the screen confusion, check out my crappy diagram again.

I suspect the cracking was done while in the care of the previous owner and I just took a while to notice. He said he used to take it all the way up to high while using the normal partial-conduction method, so yeah, way up there. I've been going to 350ish, maybe skirting 360 with the convection method.

Edited to note that I don't begrudge the owner in any way, shape or form and love my Supreme. I'm delighted to have this truly excellent and out of production vaporizer model!

charliedontsurf,

blackbur

Interesting method Charliedontsurf,

I just use my supreme the normal way by dropping the vaporizing material inside the small chamber, i like it because it cooks the herb while heating up ensuring that i will get a huge hit of vapor.I also do enjoy smelling the little wisps of vapor as i'm heating up its all part of my routine.Probably the reason why i like letting my herb cook is because with my the other vaporizers I've earned that's basically how i got the best hits, letting it cook a little.

Anyways to each their own, its cool to see people thinking outside of the box.

blackbur,
blackbur said:
Interesting method Charliedontsurf,

I just use my supreme the normal way by dropping the vaporizing material inside the small chamber, i like it because it cooks the herb while heating up ensuring that i will get a huge hit of vapor.I also do enjoy smelling the little wisps of vapor as i'm heating up its all part of my routine.Probably the reason why i like letting my herb cook is because with my the other vaporizers I've earned that's basically how i got the best hits, letting it cook a little.

Anyways to each their own, its cool to see people thinking outside of the box.

Fair enough, but I also urge a don't know it till you've tried it attitude. I've started to use the traditional Supreme method on occasion but still prefer the more convection-centric one we've been discussing. The normal one is very advantageous in that it doesn't involve voiding the warranty by really racking up the temperature, and for those who want their Supreme for years would perhaps be best served using it only in that way. But the flavor advantages in my mind are marked, and are worth the trouble if you don't mind the risk, or are already one toe in the grave like my Supreme might be with its small crack. For me, I'll buy the ticket, take the ride! :D

charliedontsurf,
Great vid, and having Fc open in the background was a nice touch!

I've been using the Supreme alot, both with the traditional screen setup and the convection-centric one. I can pretty much say that it's my favorite vaporizer at this point. I really would love to have the incredible power of the Supreme's heating element in a design which is electrically powered and had a purely convection bowl which was modular and replaceable - kind of like how the awesome, inexpensive mesh bowls of the Cloud are going to be. I guess the first part is what Ed is working on right now.

charliedontsurf,

Nycdeisel

Thanks charlie :) , its like the dark layout of the site was made to highlight the vapor! :lol:

I can almost agree with you, about it being my personal favorite vaporizer I own. nothing can replace it at this point, so im hitting it hard but taking good care of it! I just am in dire need of some extra parts, which I just emailed Ed about, I hope its fairly quick for a reply.

Nycdeisel,

SD_haze

I've switched back to the original method in anticipation of getting a new log vape (rockzap :D) that will fulfill my efficient convection needs hopefully.

I just felt like I was using it counter-intuitively for its design (tho having your handle screen would've helped.)
That being said, the flavor disappears very quickly now, but like was said earlier, the baking of the herb + thorough convection heating really makes for amazing vapor production.

So far im happy to say ive never had anyone burn themselves on it, worse that has happened is they stick it in the bong too hard (i dont use the orange cone) and pull out too quick, dislodging the the two parts
Luckily by then the herb is baked in so well it doesnt even fall out.
(He was a super buff marine so i dont blame him for using too much force :lmao: )

When I think about an electric supreme, i feel like id rather have the cloud

SD_haze,

SD_haze

Was looking at labworx skillets and read "Labworkx suggest using only butane (much cleaner), not propane or map gas. These welding torches might heat the Ti quicker but they pollute the metal surface and the surrounding environment; kind of defeating the purpose."

I've been using a propane torch to heat up the supreme, so much more cost effective than butane, do you think this would actually affect the supreme, considering you're not hitting it off that direct part of the metal?

:/

SD_haze,

Nycdeisel

it could affect the metal, which is the heating element, so its important to care for it as much as you can. I never used anything other then my butane torch.

Nycdeisel,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
I use the same torch that NYCD does... I have read reports somewhere of a propane torch melting straight through the heating element....
This would be completely heart breaking so the shorter heatup time doesn't seem worth it to me

psyshaman,
I made a short video showing how dual screen setup works for those who were confused, and also how I use the silicone piece with the magickwand bowl to make a semi-permanent glass on glass connection for the Supreme. I got tired of rocking the silicone out of the joint all the time and I find this works better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on6HaYppDts

charliedontsurf,

SD_haze

just had an interesting mishap with the supreme
long story short: its waterproof!

I had the supreme stuck in my bong on the floor, and the bong got knocked over, and when it fell, water apparently went down the tube into the supreme's chamber.
of course, i didnt realize it.

so i go to heat it up for another bowl...10 mins later...and just when its ready to hit, boiling hot drip of water falls on my leg :o

needless to say that surprised the hell outta me

the wood above the metal heat tube was soft and indented when i poked at it a little while the herb wouldnt come out with a simple tap, the water had gotten down there to.
used a poker to get all the herb out, and it seems to be doing fine airflow wise now.

im about to use it for the 1st time since, but there doesnt appear to be anything beyond superficial damage.
the supreme's simplicity definitely lends it some mighty nice durability

SD_haze,

Nycdeisel

damn, good to know! though im super careful with my supreme. its so small and compact theres no reason not to move it aside near large bodies of liquid.

im using my supreme now, and just remembered i took a few pictures that i never got around to putting in this thread, the one place it needs to be!

here was the first hit of a new bowl, and i accidentally used flash for this one, but not on the next two

DSC04535.jpg

DSC04536.jpg

DSC04537.jpg

Nycdeisel,

mephisto

Blazer makes good torches. I have several. The model I use with the supreme
is usp# 4597732. Don't know if that is the actual model number, its the only number
on the torch. Good Luck and use quality butane, like Vector or similar:2c:

mephisto,
that does look modeately honest; what is the shipping time on this unit fro EUR?. I have a vector unit right now that works alright, but that blazer looks flagship status!

biojuggernaut,
I have the expensive Blazer GB2001 I think the number is, and I have the Honest torch listed above. While the Blazer is undoubtedly nicer, the Honest is absolutely up to the task of Supreme vaping, with a large flame and what seems to be okay build quality. Its fuel capacity is about 1/3 of the Blazer is seems though, so you need to reload every 2-4 Supreme sessions IME. Don't feel like you're cheating yourself for getting the cheap Honest, it works fine.

charliedontsurf,

SD_haze

Its fuel capacity is about 1/3 of the Blazer is seems though

yeah my honest torch eats through fuel bad.
one reason I have two, so i can heat up ultra-fast but also cuts individual refill times in half

you said you already have a vector torch tho? dunno if id reccomend going from a nice vector to the honest.
imo it gets the job done but far from the polished build of a nice namebrand torch lighter.

but for $12 free shipping you cant wrong as a backup at the very least.

as far as shipping time, in america ive had dealextreme stuff take 2-4 weeks.
not sure how different EU time would be.

SD_haze,

VaporEyeSore

biojuggernaut said:
that does look modeately honest; what is the shipping time on this unit fro EUR?. I have a vector unit right now that works alright, but that blazer looks flagship status!

That Blazer looks nice but I just use the cheapest Creme Brulee Torch or Chefs Torch i can find in EU.
At the moment I use this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Cra...WYIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318438356&sr=8-1

It has a fast heatup time and gives a better vape than the small flame lighters. I use it at festivals ad parties and can get about 4 or 5 loads on one fill!

VaporEyeSore,
Top Bottom