Tek Spiderman's Oil Extravaganza!

Bouldorado

Got my extractor today; glass tube with 7mm walls, about 12g capacity. I use a coffee filter over a stainless steel screen, all held in place with a zip-tie. Did a few test runs with some trim then did a final run with dank bud. used 3g of sensi star + 2.5g Razzleberry + 2G Durban Poison which yielded .9g oil. Definitely pleased with the results :D

P1000630.JPG

P1000628.JPG

Bouldorado,

weedemon

enthusiast
Sour Deez said:
For you guys who ran butane with your AVB. How much butane per oz of AVB?

general rule of thumb is to stop when you dont see any colour going thought it anymore. but in this case we are talking about abv so if you want you can run more tane to be sure you got it all.

@Bouldorado, beauty looking chunk of oil there :)

weedemon,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Every time I run 12g's I get 1g on the dot first run, then .4 on the second run. Almost IDENTICAL results from 3 straight runs!

JDSupreme,

Sour Deez

weedemon said:
Sour Deez said:
For you guys who ran butane with your AVB. How much butane per oz of AVB?

general rule of thumb is to stop when you dont see any colour going thought it anymore. but in this case we are talking about abv so if you want you can run more tane to be sure you got it all.

Interesting, I would of thought to use less butane since alot of the cannabinoids are already extracted when i vaped it. No?

When you use to much butane that can mess with your yeilds correct?

Sour Deez,

stroh

errl enthusiast
more butane = a longer purge time, and sometimes a more difficult one.

i always find less to be more when it comes to tane usage, as long as you get most of the goodies on the first run

stroh,

Sour Deez

Bouldorado said:
Got my extractor today; glass tube with 7mm walls, about 12g capacity. I use a coffee filter over a stainless steel screen, all held in place with a zip-tie. Did a few test runs with some trim then did a final run with dank bud. used 3g of sensi star + 2.5g Razzleberry + 2G Durban Poison which yielded .9g oil. Definitely pleased with the results :D

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-U663obTUD0k/TsiclX30ciI/AAAAAAAAA2Y/WnLtTUCDSHk/s512/P1000630.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-E1tDJT6kxSU/TsiciykK_FI/AAAAAAAAA2Q/Z_RIsmqkeRU/s576/P1000628.JPG
Whats the length on that tube?

Sour Deez,

weedemon

enthusiast
i haven't heard of using too much butane messing with your yield. if anything i would expect a more thorough extraction.

if we were talking about making regular bho oil then yes absolutely use a little butane as you feel you need to. (i go by looking at the liquid running out. if it's clear i stop.)

but with abv you are talking about end of the line and a can of butane is 5.50. imo i want to extract as much as possible so i am going to probably run excess butane on that run.

just like when i do a 2nd wash on my buds, i bust em up like the abv is and will run extra butane to make sure i get as much because after that, im tossing it out!

weedemon,

Bouldorado

don't have it with me now, but it's about 12 inches long and ~1 inch in dia. I'll post exact measurements later. here's my last run in the meantime: 2g Hong Kong + 1g Purple Cotton + 4g Keif = 1g oil

Hong%252520Kong%252520%25252B%252520Keef%252520BHO.jpg

Bouldorado,

Sour Deez

Bouldorado said:

don't have it with me now, but it's about 12 inches long and ~1 inch in dia. I'll post exact measurements later. here's my last run in the meantime: 2g Hong Kong + 1g Purple Cotton + 4g Keif = 1g oil

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-.../Hong%2520Kong%2520%252B%2520Keef%2520BHO.jpg

its all good, that picture made the tube look a lot longer then 12in to me, i was just makin sure cause i ordered a tube that same size(12in length, 1in diameter) thinking it would hold about 12g, so yea, just checking. Thanks.

Sour Deez,

StickyShisha2

Bouldorado said:
. here's my last run in the meantime: 2g Hong Kong + 1g Purple Cotton + 4g Keif = 1g oil

that doesn't sound like enough oil. 4g of keif alone should yield almost 2g of oil and 3g of good herb about half a gram more. perhaps the keif didn't get good saturation?

that oil looks just like what we have, made from "scissor hash" (sticky stuff you scrape from scissors after trimming) 7 grams made 3 grams of bho

StickyShisha2,

Bouldorado

I had similar thoughts. since kief is so fine it compacted down quite a bit, even w/ 3g of bud mixed in. how much butane should this take? I've been using about a 1/2 can of vector per 7g run, but this run I used a can that was prob about a third full. mistake on my part, but I did have clear butane come out by the end of the can, so I figured it was done extracting.

next time I'm going to add some glass beads to prevent compaction and use more butane, which hopefully should increase yield, as it sounds like StickyShisha is getting close to 50% off of kief. one thing I should note though, is that this was really low grade kief. $5/gram at the dispensary; dark green/brown color, and looked and smelled bad enough I wouldn't want to smoke/vape it alone.

Bouldorado,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
Bouldorado said:
I had similar thoughts. since kief is so fine it compacted down quite a bit, even w/ 3g of bud mixed in. how much butane should this take? I've been using about a 1/2 can of vector per 7g run, but this run I used a can that was prob about a third full. mistake on my part, but I did have clear butane come out by the end of the can, so I figured it was done extracting.

next time I'm going to add some glass beads to prevent compaction and use more butane, which hopefully should increase yield, as it sounds like StickyShisha is getting close to 50% off of kief. one thing I should note though, is that this was really low grade kief. $5/gram at the dispensary; dark green/brown color, and looked and smelled bad enough I wouldn't want to smoke/vape it alone.

Now that you said the part about it being low-grade I can understand it a bit better.

My guy had some pretty crappy buds the sometime last month and i bought a bit and just made some bho with them and it came out a lot like that actually. Pretty goopy, not very stable. worked pretty well though...much better than smoking it straight haha.

MarcellusWiley,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Did another run. Kept the dish real warm in water and scraping went very well. Beautiful color.

11g in 1.2g out. Grinding and running a half can tomorrow or Sunday.

2011-11-25150934.jpg

JDSupreme,

stroh

errl enthusiast
Bouldorado said:

yield has nothing to do with how much tane you spray, in fact it can be counter productive to your efforts, because sometimes trapped butane will make your oil weigh more. also you mentioned the kief was low grade, the yield is all in the product, if your kief doesn't yield 50%, it never will, no matter what you do to your tec. a 1/2 can of vector for 7 grams is kind of a lot, you should only need about a 1/4 can, maybe a few more spritzes but nothing major. a general rule of thumb is to use a can per 28-30 grams. i always like to use as little tane as possible, makes purging easier, and i just feel better about it. personal health > making sure every last cannabinoid is extracted, every time.

also, got some mk ultra and some no name from my guy that he claims runs at 18%, the mk will probably be closer to 20%, but i need to grab some butane. i attempted to do a micro run earlier, but i couldn't even get any butane into the tube, my cans were that empty. oh and i ordered a new dish!

315826_284699328237052_100000909610456_859396_205119931_n.jpg

stroh,

weedemon

enthusiast
awesome lookin new dish man! can we see the inside to before you fill it please? looks like a flower!

weedemon,

stroh

errl enthusiast
will definitely do weedemon, should be here around next week, and after i do i will fill it with some tasty mk ultra :D

heres the no name strain at 18%

373966_2683113994882_1167321735_3116913_1138163124_n.jpg

stroh,

weedemon

enthusiast
beautiful colour you have there! how do you clump it together so well? when i try it on parchment i have to freeze it to make it so that it will come off the paper. it's just a mess otherwise for me. is it my paper or is the freezer the key and i just don't know it?

weedemon,

stroh

errl enthusiast
yes i use the freezer as well to make my oil easier to handle when on parchment, what i do is fold is squish it between the paper, then press it up against the ice maker in my freezer, im sure the side would work just as well, anyays the heat from pressing your fingers against the paper packet will make the oil stick to that side, but pressing it against a cold surface makes the other side of the paper remove cleanly from the oil. you can continue to do this and alternate sides until the oil is not sticking to the parchment at all!

stroh,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
always store my errl in the freezer. pull it out, snip a chunk off with little scissors and get it into the eclipse vial before it warms up and gets sticky!

JDSupreme,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
No need for the freezer here- it shatters and is handleable at room temp in my house!

So my Vapor Curve arrived last thursday. Didn't have the extraction tube, but as luck would have it I had forgotten that I had also ordered a glass baster which arrived from the usa on the same day! So I had to try a run- got about 8 grams into the baster and then ran it outside, but about 15 seconds in I broke the top of the baster with the force applied by the gas can! Lucky it didn't stab into my hand! I reckon I did most of it though. Went inside and buddered up probably under half a gram- I took a picture, but now it's gone from my camera for some reason :( shame because it was beautiful whitish yellow fluffy budder, and I was proud with my first result. I hit it all in my new swing that evening and the next morning. I was in love with budder :ko: but gutted as I took my last dab that I had broken my tube.

But as luck would have it that very day the postman delivered my borosilicate extraction tube from America! woo-hoo!!!!. So last night I ran another load. Wasn't going to budder it up this time. The first run I think I let it purge a little too long, as it has gone kind of buddery. The second dish is the second wash of both that run and the previous nights half run, both ground up and crammed in the extractor a bit tighter. Actually I think it is better than the first run stuff, despite the fact that the marterial going in was ground up and already washed once. A lot of the difference though is also down to my purging, I'm sure.

dscf0441u.jpg
dscf0443o.jpg

It's unbelieveable what I've got here, considering what went in. Disregard the quantity- this was a failed experiment at outdoor guerilla growing in the wet scottish mountains- the buds were awful, unfinished and certainly weren't suitable for use 'au naturel'. But this is so tasty and potent!!!! I just can wait to try it with some high grade, which i should have access to soon.

Overall I'm delighted with this foray. I've just been sooooo stoned since that first extraction and haven't hit any flowers since. It has made me realise how fucked up my tolerance is though- I used to get this stoned all the time just from bud, and I had really truly forgotten what it was like. T break soon i think.

Also, I'm left handed and so I've turned around my Vapor Swing so that it's facing me, and that way the access hole is on the left. Now I can't imagine doing it facing the other way- like this I just have such a better view of the skillet and the vapor from the front and above. They should be designed like this. Although it probably look so wrong to experienced eyes :lol:
dscf0447j.jpg

WatTyler,

weedemon

enthusiast
ty for the tips on parchment guys! glad to hear that cold is the answer im gonna bring a cold pack downstairs so i can work on it down here! :)

WatTyler said:
Overall I'm delighted with this foray. I've just been sooooo stoned since that first extraction and haven't hit any flowers since. It has made me realise how fucked up my tolerance is though- I used to get this stoned all the time just from bud, and I had really truly forgotten what it was like. T break soon i think.

You are super lucky you didn't stab yourself! that would have really hurt! im glad it was ok!

I also like to pack my nuggs in fairly tightly also. once you do a run on some nice nuggs you are going to enjoy the yield bump too! but i am glad to see you got some good oil from those buds! :)

Hey man thanks for the report on your first run. I learned a lesson about budder and found out it isn't always a good thing. sometimes it trapped butane like stroh said. :)

you are also totally right about the potency. since i discoved oil my herbs have been used to make oil much more often than they have to be vaped :p I see a t break on the horizon too.

weedemon,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
weedemon said:
Hey man thanks for the report on your first run. I learned a lesson about budder and found out it isn't always a good thing. sometimes it trapped butane like stroh said. :)
This certainly seems to be the most difficult bit. I'm certain I purged enough- too much even.

The first run I intentionally budderd after purging for an hour. The one that's pictured purged for over half an hour, and then just went buddery like that when I collected it into the middle of the dish- I left it there thinking it would liquefy and clear up again over the heat, but it was just getting waxier whenever I poked it. So I'm guessing that was verging on over purging too? All the bigger bubbles had long dissapeared by this point, but there were still some very tiny bubbles being formed before I collected it together. I guess now that there were perhaps terpenes rather than butane? Do tell me if you think it was not.

]'ve got a hand pump on the way, so the next time I'm trying a low temp vac purge and I will see where that gets me. I want that clear golden honey like stroh's :drool:

WatTyler,

weedemon

enthusiast
when you vac purge make sure you put the oil in while it's hot still :) like fresh from the oven right into your vac container.

about budder sounds like your stuff is legit budder. it's funny certain strains want to budder up, others wont.

when i have budder that is of questionable butane concentrations i will put it back in my pyrex dish, and either hot water bath it, or use my torch and heat the underside of the dish where the budder is sitting. if you do this be very patient and do it gradually. you don't wanna release all the smell and flavour from your oil.

once it's starting to melt i like to stir it round and mix it. i find this helps release any bubbles that are forming.

i'm of the opinion i'd rather over purge and destroy flavour rather than inhale butane. and you will learn to know what bho with butane in it tastes like. it has a dry cough that you can't get rid of for a lil bit after doing the dab. not nice and hence why i would rather over purge than under.

weedemon,

stroh

errl enthusiast
^weedemon summed it up perfectly, agreed 110%

i think im going to be in the market for a pump n seal vacuum sealer soon. also the base of my macro shattered yesterday because im an idiot and slammed my leg in a car door, which made me stumble and it fell out of my pocket :( the slightly good news is it still works, nothing besides the base was damaged, and it might even be able to be repaired, but fuck i am getting a pelican case ASAP, no more bringing my rigs out in pockets in the future.

stroh,
Top Bottom