Tek Spiderman's Oil Extravaganza!

gvape

Ok well I am going to give this a shot with just a half gram nug then. I smashed it down in to a round disc, put a screen in my extractor, put the nug disc in and then another screen and plugged it with my rubber end piece. Took a poker tool and pushed down on the top screen and made sure the disc was compacted nice and tight at the bottom of the tube. It looks like this might actually result in something worthwhile. Im excited.

I got my dish heating on my candle warmer and Im gonna run just a tiny bit of tane through. Let it sit for a few minutes on the candle warmer again, Im guessing it wont need much time since Im barely using any butane. Scrape it up put it in my dish and give it a purge.

I am thinking if this all goes as well as I am hoping a bit of a larger run (micro run) around 2g or so will be nice in my smaller extractor.

gvape,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
gvape said:
Ok well I am going to give this a shot with just a half gram nug then. I smashed it down in to a round disc, put a screen in my extractor, put the nug disc in and then another screen and plugged it with my rubber end piece. Took a poker tool and pushed down on the top screen and made sure the disc was compacted nice and tight at the bottom of the tube. It looks like this might actually result in something worthwhile. Im excited.

I got my dish heating on my candle warmer and Im gonna run just a tiny bit of tane through. Let it sit for a few minutes on the candle warmer again, Im guessing it wont need much time since Im barely using any butane. Scrape it up put it in my dish and give it a purge.

I am thinking if this all goes as well as I am hoping a bit of a larger run (micro run) around 2g or so will be nice in my smaller extractor.

Running 0.5g of herb?!? That will yield a .05 dab!! Good luck tho!

Just ran 10g's today of nugs, got 1g in return. Gonna run another half can tomorrow after I grind it up and expect to get another .4-.5

Here's a shot of the pre-vac-heating stage....

2011-11-07144443.jpg

Looks yummmmmmmy :p

JDSupreme,

gvape

Ok, well WOW.... I am so happy right now. I ran .55g and got .14g in return of some great looking BHO. A nice gold color. Its a taffy like constancy, something I like a lot since its pretty easy to work with. I would like to get this down to a ear wax, seem to never have much luck turning my stuff in to it.

Either way 25.45% return is great in my eyes. Definitely gonna have to run the rest of what I got. Only wish the taste was a little better on this strawberry lemon.

gvape,

Errl

Damn nice return G! I finally got some of this shatter to budder up. Cool and glad I did it, but probably will just stick with the shatter for now. Seems to be easier to work with on parchment paper than the budder.

Pretty cool that you can turn this stuff into different forms with relative ease. Anyone found any pros and cons to different forms?

Errl,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
Errl said:
Damn nice return G! I finally got some of this shatter to budder up. Cool and glad I did it, but probably will just stick with the shatter for now. Seems to be easier to work with on parchment paper than the budder.

Pretty cool that you can turn this stuff into different forms with relative ease. Anyone found any pros and cons to different forms?

My favorite has been the "taffy-like" consistency from what I've tried to replicate by blasting the run straight onto a warm dish on parchment-covered dish, then putting that dish in a warm water bath, popping bubbles, purging once or twice then I'll put it in the freezer for like 1-2 minutes to cool it down and then I can use a razor lightly against the parchment on my counter to gather it up and it starts sticking to itself on the razor and comes off the parchment VERY easily.

pretty much get a 100% clean scrape with this and no residue (that I can see) left over from the parchment. The opposite side of the parchment doesn't seem to have any evidence of butane leaking through either.

It's been working pretty well like this and I get a stable, taffy-like consistency that I can easily stick to a dabber at room temperature. One of my runs did turn out slightly less stable and more sticky, a bit harder to get to form up as a singular dab.

Now that I'm using an oil dome (bought from ALT) rather than my eclipse, I prefer the taffy-like stuff over the "budder". I made "budder-like" stuff once by what I think was slightly overheating it during the purge and whipping it a lot (this was in a pyrex dish before I tried the parchment strategy). The budder doesn't stick to the dabber so its not as easy for my oil dome, and I don't have a big TI nail yet, just a smaller glass one, so its hard to "drop some bhombs" as they would say.

MarcellusWiley,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
So I'm about to do my first BHO with a mix of morocco golden hash, nugs and khief.

2 newb' questions:
Is there any kind of ratio between weight of the material/quantity of butane used?
Do you do one run of the butane into the material or do you do several runs to get several yields?

Thx for your answers!

FLskwat,

eLiguL

FLskwat said:
So I'm about to do my first BHO with a mix of morocco golden hash, nugs and khief.

2 newb' questions:
Is there any kind of ratio between weight of the material/quantity of butane used?
Do you do one run of the butane into the material or do you do several runs to get several yields?

Thx for your answers!

Download this PDF, page 86 is what you are looking for. Its HMK's instructions on how to make BHO with pictures.

Its usually one can of butane for 28g of bud, not so sure about keif and hash, I guess youre just gonna have to eyeball it.

Every subsequent run you do on your material will have diminishing returns. Most people only do 2-3 runs and consider anything after that a waste of butane.

eLiguL,

weedemon

enthusiast
stop running tane when you see it running clear out the bottom. :)

hope you busted up your hash nice ans small and spread it thought out the mixture? with your hash for efficient extraction i would think it's all about surface area. (dont bust up your nuggs too much though!

Good luck!

I would love to see some pics.

btw hash and kief generally = darker oil for some reason.

weedemon,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Thx everyone, I'll try and report.
I'm not to fund of pics as I am in France but maybe! ;)

FLskwat,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I'm just about to make the leap into BHO production and consumption too, after seeing so many positive reports from all you guys :ko: I did try once many years ago, but with industrial hemp. Wasn't very successful. :cool:

Been making my orders over the last week. So far I have ordered on on it's way;
HMK? Curve/Skillet (good price- $45 with FC code- does anyone know if this is original, or a copy? Edit: looked it up- it's 'Vapor Curve'- shouldn't really say HMK at all imo
Gas Torch $11
15g glass extraction tube (best offer of $35)
12x 300ml Newport Butane $38
Single edge razor blades $3
Glass oil dishes $2 ea.
Metal pick/dabber $4 (+$7 shipping, doh)

Q1- I've already got a standard pyrex casserole dish that I'm hoping is suitable for collecting the butane out of the other end. The article linked above only mentions a 'glass dish', and the author uses a pyrex pie dish, so mine should suffice. I actually have two, but one has a raised 'pyrex' logo on the bottom which I can foresee trapping the BHO and being annoying, so I'll try the other. I'm guessing the larger the surface area the better for this? And that pyrex is essential to withstand the cold?

Q2- The final area I'm undecided on is vacuum purging. I did see one poster at some point showing some fantastic results and saying that they could never achieve the like before they started vacuum purging. But I notice most folk don't bother. Part of me feels that if I'm going to do it, then I will try to do the best I can. I'm looking at the cheapest way- it seems from the little I know that this brake bleed kit for 25 contains what I would need? Could I use the brake fluid reservoir as a vacuum chamber? I'm guessing it should be fairly robust seeing as it's meant to work under pressure, but if not then I've got a small but really thick glass Kilner jar that would probably suffice, and I'd just have to somehow fashion a lid.

But I really don't know if it's worth doing this extra purging step. It's an extra $40 to invest- I could use the money saved towards something from the omicron guys instead (damn you FLskwat!- that's the second vape recently where your report has been the tipping point for me). Can anyone convince me that vac purging is worth it or not?

Q3- I haven't forgot anything else I might need? (I live far away from the shops, so need to be prepared and get most stuff online in advance)

Q4- Also, finally, I have seen some of you guys talk about parchment paper for easier oil handling and final purging. Does the parchment paper that you have in the USA have any kind of coating? Here all I seem to be able to find is called 'greaseproof baking paper' and it has listed some kind of high temp silicone coating on the paper. I guess this is not the same?

WatTyler,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
I'm not sure about that Newport butane. If at all possible, get Vector, Colibri, or something that says "5X" on it.

My P-paper doesn't have a coating, but its slick. Pretty sure its just wax paper w/o the wax.

Use pyrex dishes without raised logos. I use one large one for hot water, and a med sized one for sprayin tane into. I always spray into a dish that's already in hot water

JDSupreme,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
So, as I have only a very tiny (50G) and 1/3 used can of colibri in house I decided to baptise my honey bee extractor with 3 grams of crumbled Morocco hash... Tadam:

I'm sure there are goodies left in the hash as I had so few 'tane...but my Omicron will be fed for tonight!

BTW, sorry WaT... but also happy to see I have an opinion backup around here! :brow:

FLskwat,

stroh

errl enthusiast
looks tasty flskwat! i really wanna do a hash run, but its so hard to come by in my area. i am currently dabbin on some blackberry kush, though i messed up a bit on my purge, so i ended up torching it to get the rest of the tane out, and i feel it is not as potent and definitely not as tasty as it could be.

stroh,

weedemon

enthusiast
FLskwat said:
So, as I have only a very tiny (50G) and 1/3 used can of colibri in house I decided to baptise my honey bee extractor with 3 grams of crumbled Morocco hash... Tadam:
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9382/photo4zw.jpg
I'm sure there are goodies left in the hash as I had so few 'tane...but my Omicron will be fed for tonight!

BTW, sorry WaT... but also happy to see I have an opinion backup around here! :brow:

how did the hash look before and after? I would have expected most of it to have dissolved? Sounds like you ran out of fuel before you could finish the extraction though. those hash balls you have there sure looks tasty though. do you know what it weighed in at?

@WatTyler

Welcome to oil man! oil is very nice and has taken me off my herbal vapor path and been a very fun and rewarding experience for me. once the cloud comes I'm sure ll come back to green again, but i love my dabs, and omicron way too much haha no time wasted cause one or 2 dabs is all ya need and you are good to be on your way. :)

Q1 - as long as it's oven safe like pyrex is and it is flat so that you can scrape easily then you are all set!

Q2 - I have never vac purged, but ti looks damn cool! JDS can do it! and so does spiral i think ;) once you get your purge down you don't really need to, but i believe it probably does create a cleaner product still.

Q3 - I'm also leery of your newport butane. do a spray test with it first. all you do is use a nozzle to spray a decent blast of butane on a mirror and watch it evaporate. when it's gone is there a white ring left on the mirror? these are the impurities that are sticking around in your oil. :( (all butane that we buy in cans will leave some residue, some more than others. just fyi) if they do leave a residue, hey they are great fuel for your torch :D I have used london, colibri and vector so far. i know they are good to use :) 3-5x filters or 99.99% pure or less than 30ppm of contaminates. all of these mean you are buying good fuel

you may also want to consider some hose clamps for your tube, a wire coffee filter mesh and a pack of unbleached paper coffee filters

Q4 - I'm thinking it's different, but should let the other members weigh in on that as i don't know very much about that part either. good questions though man :)

weedemon,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Cheers Weedemon! You've played a big part in setting me on this path! I've got the tolerance of a mammoth and spend half the evening sat with my ssv- I'm hoping this will lead to just a couple of quick evening sessions to get me where I want to be.

you may also want to consider some hose clamps for your tube, a wire coffee filter mesh and a pack of unbleached paper coffee filters
The other glass tube I was looking at (this one) comes with a hoseclamp and 50 micron steel mesh, whereas the one I chose (which at 15g seemed a better size) just has '5 mesh filters' and '5 rubber band's. I assumed that the rubber bands would adequately take the place of the hose clamp- but please let me know if this doesn't sound right. And one of the mesh filters goes over the end? So do I need coffee filters over the end as well as the mesh filter?

Cheers for the lookout on the butane quality guys. I had already looked into the quality- Newport is apparently one of the best (Oglesby and Butler also told me this before). It's made by Keen-Newport who are also the ones that make Colibri, London and Sarome butane refills. In fact, if we wanted a minimum order of 30'000 cans they could make us a 'Fuck Combustion' butane! :cool: It's the lowest I can find at 50ppm impurities, so not quite as good as what you're getting Weedemon, but I won't bother myself about 20ppm difference :tinfoil: These folks seem to have some strong role in the 'Near Zero Impurities' benchmark logo. There's also the 'Newport system' for manufacturing (real, or just marketing?)- which attempts to address the fact that the impurities increase over time supposedly. Hydrocarbon wax oleaginous impurities, apparently???

WatTyler,

StickyShisha2

don't use "tattoo works" 5X butane. Saying that any 5x should be fine is FALSE.

oily propane smell left behind

StickyShisha2,

weedemon

enthusiast
the elastic bands will work, but i wouldn't trust them for too long you will see in time, the butane seems to degrade the rubber or make it wear out faster.

so i'd say ok use em. others will disagree with me on that point. i use a glass turkey baster, and it has a lip to keep the elastics from slipping off. never had any problems yet.

that butane you got =sounds pretty good then. i have just never heard of it before. :)

sounds like your all set! have fun and be safe!

weedemon,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
OMG... So I got very little of an incredible paki hash that smells like bud and is very clear and malleable!
And I decided that my previous yield with morroco wasn't good enough though the effects & flavor in the Omicron were a treat!
As with the vapes I decided to understand the full potential of my extractor doing experiments...Well, I don't know if it's the newb' luck but :

I decided to use 2,0 gr of grinded hash (in my electrical Braun coffe grinder...so POWDER consistency).
Used half a can of Sarom (very good butane BTW)... AND I GOT 1,1gr of BEAUTIFUL BHO:

I think it's fucking stable when cold and put the gram in the fridge for a few minutes to ease a little the loading of the Omicron!

What do the experts say? :D Nice?

FLskwat,

weedemon

enthusiast
can we see the starting material too? lovely colour man! :)

and yeah i'd say it looks really good too.

your 55% return is not really a fair comparison to our herb extractions, but It is cool to find out what your getting! never heard of anyone doing it to hash before :p i should do it to my kief collection.

also never heard of the butnae, but i trust you know your stuff ;) it's you after all!

good call on busting your hash up. it's all about surface area i would think.

weedemon,

SD_haze

SD_haze,

Sour Deez

For you guys who ran butane with your AVB. How much butane per oz of AVB?

Edit: BTW i just picked up this oil dome, im pumped. I went to a bunch of headshops around me and when i asked for an oil dome they just looked so confused. Its got a glass cup nail which i never saw before.
picture.php

Sour Deez,
Top Bottom