Sour Deez

Sometimes my screen will turn, others it is sung, its weird. I almost think it has to do with how 'domed' the screen is.

Also sometimes some bits will get in the grove the screen goes in, that would make my screen turn instead of snug.

I personally prefer a snug screen cause i scrape the screen after each pack. And trying to do that while the screen is turning is difficult.

Sour Deez,

Vitolo

Vaporist
There are posts describing the screen dome position.
It is a question of "air flow dynamics. If the screen is down, then air only gets sucked through the center of the hole... so you must stir alot more often and carefully..
airflo.jpg

Vitolo,

cluffy

Vaker
OK Vito, imma hafta disagree wih you on this one. Your theory is correct, but it's way easier to stir the load when the screen is bowed down. TokinGLX (remember him?) bowed his screens down because he liked to stir and chop up his loads with scissors. I just use a poker, but with the screen bowed up it catches like crazy... yeah, that's how I feel, CRAZY!!! :ko: CHEERS ALL!

cluffy,

smartrott

Ive always pushed my screen down after it is inserted to give it more like a cup effect. Personally I think that it would work both ways. Next time I pull my screen Im gonna try and leave it bowed up, just to see if there is a difference. Sometimes I do get particles that get sucked around the screen, some stop in the tube and some stop in my mouth or throat, but its not half as bad as getting a half burnt bowl pull through. So all in all I really dont mind it, bc the ssv is one of the best vapes on the market. By the way, how would u load a pic on here from: Documents>Webcam>Capture_2011684.

Sorry, I am a little behind on technology. Just wanting to show yall my ssv. Peace from the east.

smartrott,

Vitolo

Vaporist
cluffy said:
OK Vito, imma hafta disagree wih you on this one. Your theory is correct, but it's way easier to stir the load when the screen is bowed down. TokinGLX (remember him?) bowed his screens down because he liked to stir and chop up his loads with scissors. I just use a poker, but with the screen bowed up it catches like crazy... yeah, that's how I feel, CRAZY!!! :ko: CHEERS ALL!
That's not a bad disagree, cluffy. "A guy's gotta stir, like a guy's gotta stir".
The screen domed up is 7th Floor's design, and recommendation in the manual.
It being their design, and suggested use, sure as heck does not make it a regulation! :lol:

Vitolo,
Reactions: jeffp

Sour Deez

I always push the screen down also cause that very same reason. Stiring/crushing the herb with the screen bowed up makes it just get in the way. Doesnt work nearly as well for me. Different strokes for different folks

Smartrot - you have to upload the pic to a image hosting site(photobucket, imageshack etc.) you cant just upload it from your comp to here. Unless there is a picture album like some forums have, but i dont believe this one does.

Sour Deez,

chimpybits

I'm looking forward to trying with my domed screen. (I don't know what I had previously as that was the brand new setup and I didn't inspect it. I never had any issues stirring so hopefully it was shipped domed and that isn't a problem for me). I do think it would be preferable with a snug screen as I'm not wild on getting small bits in my wand post-cleaning, but no biggie. I know that the buildup will likely tighten the fit soon enough. Wouldn't it be easier if the screens were just slightly larger?

p.s. I wanted to report (albeit a bit tardy) on my ssv return that I posted about on page 84. I dropped off with the local distributor that handles returns. Two staff there ran it through the paces (one of whom makes the Vapor Daddy) and said that mine hits fine (one of them preferred mine to her own model) and doesn't need returning. They had the dial between 3 and 4 which is higher than I was running. My dial maxes out at around 5.30 btw. I guess I was being too timid with the temps (trying for 12-2 as suggested on this forum). With a fresh bowl I can get tasty very little vape hits at 12.30 or so. They also showed me how to push up the ceramic heater.

I haven't tried it since returned to me - the mflb is just so handy for me. So, at some point I'm going to have a testing session and push my temps up until I get pre-combustion dark brown abv. It is shaping up that the mflb is my frequent flyer and the ssv the occasional heavy hitter.

chimpybits,

Sour Deez

Chimpybits - About the screens being larger, if you try to put a screen in without giving it a dome, it doesnt work at all.

Also, temp setting can vary by model, some people find their sweet spot(could be 12, could be 3). If its 3, pull the knob off and replace at 12, now your good to go!

Sour Deez,

Braddock

hey everyone. is it just me, or do some strains just some differently in the silver surfer?
i had some nice nice indica the other day and the vapor clouds were nice and big. however, i got some good looking sativa yesterday and the vapor clouds are just barely forming.. is this kinda shit normal?

Braddock,

cluffy

Vaker
Braddock said:
hey everyone. is it just me, or do some strains just some differently in the silver surfer?
i had some nice nice indica the other day and the vapor clouds were nice and big. however, i got some good looking sativa yesterday and the vapor clouds are just barely forming.. is this kinda shit normal?

Yup.

As long as the effect is there I don't worry about it. Lots of variables, dryness etc. Did you try cranking up the heat a little more?

cluffy,

Braddock

yeah i have, ive tried my speed of suction, just about anything i can think of lol. i still get the sativa-effect, i just miss those clouds with this strain is all.... kinda bummed that this isnt rare lol

Braddock,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Like cluffy said.. different strains behave differently in vaporizers.
Sativas are know more for the light cerebral buzz.. and that naturally happens under Vape heat faster.. and has less visible vapor.
Also as cluffy said... don't just watch for clouds.
Not all herb gives big clouds.
(Also... not all BIG FOG maker weed gets you as high as some other weed with less "cloudability")
Think of the buzz.. and not the visuals when you vape the sativa... and when you vape the indica.. enjoy the fog.
I like clouds too... I just started vaping non nicotine ejuice.. so I could vape when I am not vaping!

Vitolo,

Braddock

whats that "non nicotine ejuice"? & i ordered a custom wand a few weeks ago, damn am i anxious for it lol...

Braddock,

Vitolo

Vaporist
The custom wands are fantastic! :brow:
e-cigs use liquids to create vapor. They use various nicotine levels to satisfy smokers that are switching to vaping. I use the flavored juices to inhale and create vapor... but without addded nicotine!

Vitolo,

Braddock

if only they didnt take so long.. i ordered mine july 17th and i still have another three weeks or so apparently. :/
do these non nicotine ejuices produce clouds though? or is it just something that tastes good and pasts the time? cause i do wish i could vape all day, but i dont have nearly the amount of herb to do that lol

Braddock,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Vitolo said:
The screen domed up is 7th Floor's design, and recommendation in the manual.
It being their design, and suggested use, sure as heck does not make it a regulation! :lol:

Wow, I never knew that. And to think of all the times when I had a DBV and would waste so much time getting that screen to make a bowl instead of a dome. man... :doh:

aesthyrian,

Vitolo

Vaporist
aesthyrian-Airflow through screen
airflo.jpg

if screen is dome down, there is reduced airflow, and only the very center of the herb gets "hit". Physics... next time try it(there is always a next time... as Vaporists we are imortal!)

Last edited:
Vitolo,

Braddock

thats awesome man, ill definitely look into that. as for the screen dome idea, wont doming it up make it extremely difficult to chop up your herbs with scissors in there?

Braddock,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I have never used scissors. I grind my herb in a grinder, then use a pick to stir it between hits.

Vitolo,

Braddock

is there anything i can do about my tubing? it seems my tubing (which was once clear) is now filled with resin to the point where its barely see-through.

now every now and then i get these nasty resin in my mouth when im sucking in and i dont know what to do about it... i doubt its from my wand since i clean it every 2-3 months with iso wash, its the tubing which ive never cleaned... any advice? can i use this resin and smoke/vape like the wand-hash-goo?

Braddock,

Vitolo

Vaporist
If you go back through this thread a bunch of people discuss how they handle this.
I discuss it on a post at SSV tube in this thread.
I have many feet of spare hose, but stilluse my original; which I clean weekly.
I use Iso.. then hot water and dish soap.
A shop vac dries it out very gfast!

Vitolo,

turtles

Just joined you guys (found a sweet deal on a used SSV and I couldn't pass it up!)
just wish I didn't suck at putting the screen in

turtles,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Welcome... glad you're here!
You will get very good at manipulating the screen as time goes by...
The SSV is a long term companion, and after time you will know every detail intimately! ;)

Vitolo,

smartrott

I've had my SSV since the beginning of the year and I can't say enough good things about it. I've actually been using it the past week or so with the screen domed up, reverse of what I am used to doing. Honestly, I think it works extremely well either way. However, I did just think of the fact that there may be a liitle less particle suck-thru, not that it's an issue though bc well it's just so little it doesn't bother me. After a day or two the screen being domed up it will flatten out due to the fact of me using a pair of scissors and not remembering that the screen is up, but it all works out in the end.

smartrott,
Top Bottom