dd

Hey ppl responded, that's actually pretty satisfying, I'm starting to
see the addictive nature of the site.

Max! You took the words out of my mouth dude. I just wasn't happy with the E in the end ,and I have to disagree with you when you say it's an excellent unit. It's alright, gets the job done but I wouldn't call it excellent. First in terms of the build quality I was a let down. Anyone who has used a volcano for example or even a herbal air knows that those units feel very solid, they both have a good weight to them, and although I woulndt try it, after checking them out at a few different headshops, I could see either of them taking a drop off a table for example. The e not so much. If you tap it it feels hollow, it's very plasticky, and although the concept is very simple, arizer's execution of it really isn't. IT'S TOO FINICKY! As I mentioned before you've got to put the weed in the bowl and then put attatch another joint to the bowl. You can easily lift the whole bowl of the vaporizer when you're trying to take the whip off and spill your herbs. Even the whip just feels low quality when I compare it to the SSV's whip. It's much more plasticky and stiff whereas the SSV's has a more tacky squishy silicone rubber feel.

In terms of what you said about metal("Many vapes use metal-aluminum or stainless steel, and it's perfectly OK. The temps used with vaporizing aren't a problem."). That may be true, really, I don't know, I'm not a scientist and I suppose you aren't either, but it's really a psychological thing for ALOT of people looking into vaporizers that they don't want metal. From the small amount of knowledge I've picked up in mere first year uni chem classes, I know that brass, copper, steel are not chemically inert metals, meaning that the molecules that make up the metal will cause chemical reactions like oxidation when they come into contact with other molecules(even air molecules, like rust is a chemical reaction caused by air molecules water molecules and the metal). So, I'm not sure what the effects are of inhaling air through heated metal or if there are any but I'd much rather vape with something that is chemically inert! Like borosilicate glass for example is something used in labs in beakers because it won't react with what you put in it. Or if anyone has taken highschool science, you may remember that bunsen burners use porcelain heaters as well so you you can heat a substance, watch the reaction and not have to worry about any change in the reaction caused by the heating element. This is why I like the idea of the SSV, I can see everything that's going on, and it's just glass and porcelain, nothing else, which means I don't even have to think about metal with my paranoid self haha.

Anyways, the main reason I brought it up was that when I went to the friendly stranger in TO and took a look at the E, the main thing th e guy was selling me on was that IT"S ALL GLASS AND CERAMIC DUDE!!! Another thing that pissed me off is that even on ARIZER's own site!!! They keep talking up how it's all glass ("Ceramic is used so there is no concern of toxins or bad tastes as there can be from metal heaters.", "Wherever possible the strongest highest quality glass parts are used. Why? Glass is inert, toxin free ensuring in smooth, tasty vapor."). They say the use ceramic so that there is no bad taste or toxin from metal heaters, WTF difference does it make if you wrap the ceramic heater in metal wire? Another quote from their site "Others use metals, plastics, Teflon, aluminum and even wood in their construction or parts which can give off harmful toxins, bad taste and a poor experience.". Ok, how are they going to knock other vapes for this when their heater is wrapped in metal? Enough about the metal though, I'm just saying that based on what I know I'm concerned about the metal(maybe erroneously) and I breathe easier(not literally) without thinking about inhaling off hot metal. And I know alot of other people are concered as well, that's why Arizer pushes that the whole thing is glass. Anyhow...

You mentioned that the weed vaporizing in the bowl with nobody hitting it isn't an issue. IT IS FOR ME!! I can barely find weed as I dont' know that many ppl that smoke so belive me when I say I'm a stingy motherfucker when it comes to my weed. I still have vaped weed I plan to revape from like a year ago. I have like different vintages and shit haha. Anyways, look, if you only apply heat to the weed when smoking it, that's gonna be a more efficient system. This is what I like about the SSV. I mean would you store your weed on a heated surface? I think not. And maybe I haven't identified the issue, but SOMETHING is causing the SSV to be way more efficient in terms of number and quality of hits for me. I thought that this heated bowl thing may be one of the factors, because I definitely notive that you get better vapor when that bowl is hot. When I'm not smoking though, I know THC is reduced or used up when you apply high heat to it. I don't want the bowl stealing my vapor! I want it in my lungs!

And dude why do you have to add the little jab about how I may unlearn some stuff I think I know. Everything I'm saying is just my opinion bud, and what you say is just your opinion. So just state your opinion and keep it moving! and I invite debate really i do, but talk about my opinions, not about how much or little I think I know.But its all good dude I appreciate the comments 100%!!!!!!!

Progress, thanks for commenting too dude, i'm gonna respond to you tomorrow, cos I gotta take a few tokes and get some sleep. Hope I make a bit more sense posting sober, last night I was tired and mangled and just not in a good state lol. I'm still not re-reading this stuff or spell checking. f that these are not essays(despite the length) but entertainment!! but i apologize for the typos I probably made, i'm sure you'll get the jist of what I'm saying anyways

laters

dd,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
Hey dd

In terms of what you said about metal:

("Many vapes use metal-aluminum or stainless steel, and it's perfectly OK. The temps used with vaporizing aren't a problem."). That may be true, really, I don't know, I'm not a scientist and I suppose you aren't either, but it's really a psychological thing for ALOT of people looking into vaporizers that they don't want metal. From the small amount of knowledge I've picked up in mere first year uni chem classes, I know that brass, copper, steel are not chemically inert metals, meaning that the molecules that make up the metal will cause chemical reactions like oxidation when they come into contact with other molecules(even air molecules, like rust is a chemical reaction caused by air molecules water molecules and the metal). So, I'm not sure what the effects are of inhaling air through heated metal or if there are any but I'd much rather vape with something that is chemically inert! Like borosilicate glass for example is something used in labs in beakers because it won't react with what you put in it. Or if anyone has taken highschool science, you may remember that bunsen burners use porcelain heaters as well so you you can heat a substance, watch the reaction and not have to worry about any change in the reaction caused by the heating element. This is why I like the idea of the SSV, I can see everything that's going on, and it's just glass and porcelain, nothing else, which means I don't even have to think about metal with my paranoid self haha.
IMO, the metal issue is really non-existant.

As long as they are near pure (no impurities), these elemental metals and alloys are inert and ultra safe at vaping temps.

Steel is a family of alloys with iron, which has a boiling point of ~ 2750C (4950F). So the boiling point of steel is likely to be close to that for most steels.

Pure aluminum has a boiling point of ~ 2500C (4532F). Even reynolds aluminum foil is ~ 99% pure, I believe.

An element?s boiling point is the threshold at which its atoms are excited into a gaseous state. In other words, the only way to get toxic aluminum fumes into the air is to heat the solid metal to the temperature of its boiling point.

Not the case here when vaping up to 428F (220C) or so.

In addition, the majority of aluminum toxicity occurs through actual oral ingestion of the metal in the form of small flakes that can then enter the bloodstream.

nicelytoasted,
Reactions: chililvr

max

Out to lunch
And dude why do you have to add the little jab about how I may unlearn some stuff I think I know.
Because your post is full of comments about stuff you think we should know. You're assuming we don't know because you've been lurking for just a week and haven't seen it? This place is, in case you're unfamiliar with all the forums out there, the best source of vapor info available. You'd be surprised at some of the inside info that some here are privy to. You certainly don't need to make the comment that the SSV doesn't do bags. And if you don't care for any metal in a vape, your choice of the SSV seems strange, since it uses the standard screen in the wand. We don't like to perpetuate the 'metal myth' here. If you have concerns in that area, no problem, but you won't find much support here. We have our share of 'glass fans', but we'd rather have people just state that they prefer glass, than get a bunch of comments that would lead less informed people to fear vapes that don't have an all glass vapor path.

it's really a psychological thing for ALOT of people looking into vaporizers that they don't want metal.
It would have been nice if that statement had been in your original post, instead of "saw the metal bowl and said forget it". Or "since the ceramic is touching that metal base, couldn't it be causing some kind of ionization?" The temps involved in producing vapor aren't that high, and the metals used in quality vapes have high boiling points. You won't find brass, for example, in any good name brand vapes.

You mentioned that the weed vaporizing in the bowl with nobody hitting it isn't an issue. IT IS FOR ME!!
I've owned a V-Tower. The bowl has to sit, loaded, for quite some time before any significant amount is vaporized. If it's an issue for you, just remove the bowl. That's what I used to do after a session. And have you considered how much vapor can be wasted, on exhale, with the big hits the SSV can provide? The THC in vapor is not absorbed as quickly as with smoke, and big vapor exhales are much less efficient vs. the small amount that's vaporized in a sitting Extreme bowl.

Everything I'm saying is just my opinion bud, and what you say is just your opinion.
Well, we do deal with some facts here, now and then. But it'll be more clear that what you say is opinion, if you use 'IMO', or 'I think', etc., before statements that may be controversial.

So just state your opinion and keep it moving!
I think that line is a better fit for me than you. ;)

Just be aware, when you post here, that there are a lot of knowledgeable posters on the forum, and some of us have owned a lot of different vapes (some still have quite a collection). Don't assume that because you haven't seen a particular piece of info that it hasn't been posted here, or that some of us didn't know it before this forum ever came into being.

(You can consider the following to be an official mod note)
We try to keep things somewhat organized, so please post about the SSV in this thread, and move to the Extreme thread for comments about that one. You could have even started a thread titled 'SSV vs. Extreme'. As it is, any useful Extreme info here may be missed by someone not interested in the SSV.

max,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
dd - you may be the only person I've ever heard praise the SSV for its efficiency. It's a fantastic unit and I want one bad, but the general consensus is that it is one of the LEAST efficient of the good vaporizers out there.

stickstones,

surfinusa

I disagree big-time on the assertion that the SSV is very inefficient. I think it's as efficient as a vaporizer can get. It's only passing vapor thru the medium when you draw off of it... mabye I'm missin' something...I can load up my wand 1/3 full and pull like 16 wonderful draws from it.... such a small amt!!- anyway, happy vapin....

surfinusa,

surfinusa

Also just for the record, actually just to brag, but I live near the SSV shop, and they're great people. I even got in touch with Steve just before they got their store/shop, I wanted to see a few units and take a pick so as to have some choice....so Steve met me in a Home Depot parking lot on a damn cold day, and he brought like 15 units w/ him, he got them alll out for me to chk em all out, and it was so hard to pick one- AND, making it even tougher to choose was the fact that I was picking one out for my friend, who wasn't there!! Lucky for me, he loved it, and still uses it daily 3 yrs later, as do I w/ mine. I love that they represent Colorado Springs!!!! Later for now folks.

surfinusa,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Yeah I'm not sure I like the wording of your post there, sticks. :lol:

Efficiency is a cloudy subject to begin with.

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Feel free to set me straight, as I don't own an SSV. But in a year on this forum, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it was efficient. It has a reputation of going through herb to produce huge hits.

Now if people are using it with partially loaded bowls, I can see that working and making it efficient, as I have found that to work at making my E more efficient.

The reason I don't own one now is because it seems to be a favorite or growers and others with access to big stashes, and I am not one of those. I'm much more concerned about efficiency, which is why the PD gets so much of my attention and now the E, with the new packing method.

As much as I would love the big hits, I am not sure how much I would use it because I am such a miser. If you can convince me that it can be used efficiently, then it would jump right back up to the top of my 'need to acquire' list.

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
surfinusa said:
I disagree big-time on the assertion that the SSV is very inefficient. I think it's as efficient as a vaporizer can get. It's only passing vapor thru the medium when you draw off of it... mabye I'm missin' something...I can load up my wand 1/3 full and pull like 16 wonderful draws from it.... such a small amt!!- anyway, happy vapin....
The SSV, in the efficiency dept., is pretty typical of a standard whip vape IMO. The degree of efficiency is up to the user. As with other whip units that can deliver big hits, the tendency is to use it inefficiently. It's hard to force yourself to NOT take the big, smooth hits it can provide. Now if you can hold the big hit and not waste a bunch of vapor with a big exhale, it becomes efficient. Personally, I waste some vapor every time I use it. It's just not enjoyable to take tiny hits from it.

vtac said:
Efficiency is a cloudy subject to begin with.
It certainly can be. I think sometimes people have a different definition of efficiency than the ones in the dictionary. As far as making efficient use of the herb in the bowl, it's up to the user. Is the SSV more efficient at delivering a high percentage of vapor per hit vs. the Extreme? Yes. But that's not really what we mean when we talk about vape efficiency. The per hit efficiency is covered by vapor/air ratio. That's where the SSV beats the Extreme. For overall bowl efficiency (getting the most vapor out of a given bowl load), there's no significant difference between these two models. With efficient vaping methods, the user can get all the good stuff out of a bowl, using either unit.

stickstones said:
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it was efficient. It has a reputation of going through herb to produce huge hits.
As much as I would love the big hits, I am not sure how much I would use it because I am such a miser. If you can convince me that it can be used efficiently, then it would jump right back up to the top of my 'need to acquire' list.
Yeah, but it's not the vape's fault that people tend to use it inefficiently. I find it hard to drive my sports car to maximize gas mileage, but it is possible to get decent mileage driving it. But like taking tiny, manageable hits from the SSV, it's no fun. It's even frustrating. I used my SSV last night instead of the PD, because I got home late and wanted to elevate my mood in a hurry. It was a very enjoyable session. I did manage to put the whip down before my last bowl was done, but there's no doubt that I used more herb than if I'd used the PD. So stick, I would say there's no doubt it can be used as efficiently as the Extreme (in whip mode), and without spoiling the enjoyment. But trying to use it as efficiently as the PD is no fun at all and I wouldn't even try, unless it was my only vape and my herb was in short supply.

max,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
SS - you may be the only person I've ever heard praise the SSV for its efficiency. It's a fantastic unit and I want one bad, but the general consensus is that it is one of the LEAST efficient of the good vaporizers out there.
I think I have a sense of where you are coming form SS.

However, I definitely agree with others (if I am understanding them correctly) that it is important to explain concrete reasons when making blanket statements about something that may be fairly difficult to measure (like the relative efficiency of the SSV).

Nonetheless, IMO/E one can surf fairly 'efficiently' (maximizing perceived/biological effects per amount of vaporizable material) if they choose to do so. However, the large clouds of vapor the SSV can produce (while being a strength for many afaik) diminish efficiency significantly due to (in part, at least) the large amount of vapor exhaled.

Efficiency (IMO) means similar, yet slightly different, things to different people. I hope this helps contribute to the discussion of the range of efficiency experienced/possible with the SSV and precipitates some understanding about the difficulty quantifying and comparing the efficiency of the Surfer (due to the many difficult-to-measure factors involved).

As always, toke it easy (especially if you want maximum efficiency with your SSV! :lol: ).

PS: I also agree with basically everything Max stated in his post above (very insightful, Max! :tup: )--maybe except "Is the SSV more efficient at delivering a high percentage of vapor per hit vs. the Extreme? Yes." (IMO, it depends more on the user's familiarity with the unit than the unit itself, but maybe I got crazy and tried the cup screen thing with a full Cyclone... :o :lol: ).

PSS: DD, still no reply? ("Progress, thanks for commenting too dude, I'm gonna respond to you tomorrow..."). It's cool if you don't have time though (I think that people are doing a good job shedding some light on the 'relative accuracy' of your emphatic and lengthy statements :/ )

Progress,

Beezleb

I think you will find many vocal ssv users selected the SSV based on what it can do and in general relation to how the SSV fits into their smoking style.

Many people do not try to smoke the least amount of herb possible but to just to get high as can be. No matter how you talk about efficiency a large bowl in any mainstream vaporizer is more efficient than compared to smoking and that is the typical measuring point of many people, at least initially.

Their are reports from people who got the pd and do not like it as much as they thought they would because the high off such small bowl simply leaves some wanting and they have to do more bowls from the PD to get where they want to be, pain in the arse aspect, to obtain their desired high. Now for the economy minded and the lower tolerance people who tend to use less and the PD is a great choice.

While the PD is great at extracting from small amounts, at the end of the day, it is small amounts and for some this is an issue and the large bowls of the SSV, DB, Warez 3G's and the like simply appeals to them. For those who only need a small bit the PD is perfect.

Understanding correctly what each vaporizer does is very important for a person to select the vaporizer that meets their needs. Sometimes it seems as if some people are speaking as if one stem from a PD equates to the same high as from a wand from an SSV/DB/Warez 3g or the like and this is simply not true and potentially misleads people.

I try to explain the difference to people, advocate further research on their vapes of interest all so that they can choose what is best for them.

Beezleb,

max

Out to lunch
PS: I also agree with basically everything Max stated in his post above (very insightful, Max! )--maybe except "Is the SSV more efficient at delivering a high percentage of vapor per hit vs. the Extreme? Yes." (IMO, it depends more on the user's familiarity with the unit than the unit itself, but maybe I got crazy and tried the cup screen thing with a full Cyclone...
It's too late for me to try that trick, so maybe that method is an equalizer. OTOH, that's not the way it was designed to be used, and it certainly isn't general knowledge. It's possible that an SSV trick/modification could boost that unit's performance in that area as well. So I'd say that 'out of the box', with no tips, tricks, or mods, the SSV definitely provides a higher vapor to air ratio. But since, performance wise, that's the ony SSV edge (except for the higher temp that's attainable), you certainly have to factor that against the versatility of the Extreme.

max,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
i know this is off topic, but since we're voicing our opinions..............i personally do not think the E is a "finiky" device at all.i have NEVER had problems with the cyclone coming off when taking the whip off or any other related problems with the parts. i also agree with max in that efficiency of units like the SSV or E that can contain more material is based on the methods used in vaping. i can get away with getting lit off of just covering the screen's surface of my E whereas i could just fill the whole damn bowl up. efficiency is largely in part connected with the way you consume.

illadelph,

max

Out to lunch
efficiency is largely in part connected with the way you consume.
Yep. And now we really do need to get off the Extreme and back on topic.

max,

tokinGLX

my 2 on the issue at hand

talking about the efficiency of the ssv is like talking about how many miles per gallon you can squeeze out of the newest ferrari.

sure you can drive the car conservatively, but thats just no fun, and not why most people bought one.

in addition to the hit you get being directly controlled by the users inhale, the temperature of the ssv can be controlled. this gives people the option of a lesser yet less wastefull hit(a more "efficient" use of the weed per getting you high) or a power hit with lots of visibly exhaled vapor(which, as max has pointed out, is wasted vapors).
personally, i LOVE them power hits. is this perhaps due to the fact that i am a medical grower and have absolutely no fear of running out of fresh herbs to keep packed in the bowl...............
........perhaps, yes.
(':

tokinGLX,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
A friend of mine picked up a ssv after being on marijuanaradio last night, the people at mjr had just gotten it in.

Amazing.. i want one haha.

Survivalism,

tokinGLX

thats funny. back in their first or second episode, they "reviewed" the ssv and the consensus was that they absolutely did not like it.

of course, listening to them try to use it was almost painful, they had no clue what to do with the thing. i brought my unit to their studio a few times tho and properly fucked them up with it, im sure that gave them a much different perspective on it.

tokinGLX,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
tokinGLX said:
thats funny. back in their first or second episode, they "reviewed" the ssv and the consensus was that they absolutely did not like it.

of course, listening to them try to use it was almost painful, they had no clue what to do with the thing. i brought my unit to their studio a few times tho and properly fucked them up with it, im sure that gave them a much different perspective on it.
Yeah when my friends go back i am going to go and we are going to take the ssv volcano pd and maybe vhw depending haha!

Survivalism,

max

Out to lunch
tokinGLX said:
i LOVE them power hits. is this perhaps due to the fact that i am a medical grower and have absolutely no fear of running out of fresh herbs to keep packed in the bowl...............
........perhaps, yes.
(':
That's right. Rub it in my poor 'retail buyer's face' you 'herb rich' *!@#!!. :argh: ;)

max,

Beezleb

max said:
tokinGLX said:
i LOVE them power hits. is this perhaps due to the fact that i am a medical grower and have absolutely no fear of running out of fresh herbs to keep packed in the bowl...............
........perhaps, yes.
(':
That's right. Rub it in my poor 'retail buyer's face' you 'herb rich' *!@#!!. :argh: ;)
I know, makes me really miss my Holland days.

Beezleb,

Zoolader

I just ordered a black on black ground glass SSV!:o They are shipping for free and come with the hemp carrying case now on the main website.:brow: I've been reading these forums for the past couple of months and have been wanting to buy one. :ninja: One question though... where do you enter the coupon code at? When i was ordering I wrote in the additional comments box that I didn't see a place to enter "Paul" for the 10% discount.:/

Zoolader,

Costanza

So I'm worried that my SSV may have been damaged during shipping.

There aren't any instructions on how to attach/detach the knob in the manual.
And I figured that I would still be able to adjust the temp without the glass knob but nothing's turning.
I can only see a nut and part of a screw coming out a bit.
Is this fixable? Am I getting something wrong here? :shrug:
Been sober and frustrated for a while here and I'm about to break down and hit the ;pd;.

Costanza,
Top Bottom