MrMistyTokes

Steam Engine
Im confused a bit hah.. so can i use the aroma top to drop oil on and hit with my oil bell setup??:o

MrMistyTokes,

NoSmoke

MrMistyTokes said:
Im confused a bit hah.. so can i use the aroma top to drop oil on and hit with my oil bell setup??:o
Nah the aroma top is for "aroma" purposes you know make your room smell good and such..

NoSmoke,

flyingtetas

SILVER SURFER VERSUS VOLCANO
MY THOUGHTS

Helloooo,

I just wanted to thank this entire forum for helping me make up my mind as to which vaporizer to get. I ended up getting the Silver Surfer due to this specific thread. I originally wanted a Volcano (That's all I used in Amsterdam back in 2006 and fell in love); my best friend also has one and I LOVE the social aspect of passing the bag around. However, I travel a lot and decided against it because I wanted something a bit more portable. Even though the Volcano is not big, it would be a pain to clean it between trips, etc.

SO, i thought maybe the vapezilla would be a good option, since it looks like a small car stereo basically. I did some research and was at their website JUST ABOUT to put my credit card info in and something told me it just wasn't right. It wasn't the amount of money, it was just an icky feeling I got that said "Just wait a bit, do more research"

DUDES< am i GLAD i did! I came on this forum and read everyone's reviews of the newer vapezillas versus the older vapezillas, and the change in the heating element, etc, and just the general nastiness of the company that makes it, and I decided firmly against it.

So then that left me lost: which vaporizer should I get then? Money wasn't an object, I was ready to plunk down whatever amount to have the best of the best that hopefully was also portable. Then I ran into this thread and started researching the Silver Surfer and even hesitated because it's sooooo cheap compared to the other vaporizers out there that I thought it might not be as good quality.

Staring at it on my kitchen counter I can say "It is one beautiful and sturdy piece of equipment." I got it 3 days after I ordered it and couldn't believe my eyes when i saw that it came with a PADDED TRAVEL BAG! YES! unreal! lol. It even has padded pockets to protect the crystalware. It's so much smaller than it looks like in the pics. It's really about the length of a hand. I got the all silver one and had them surprise me with the colors on the crystal, and it is just beautiful.

Oh, and something I was concerned with, the 'social' aspect of it. Let me tell you, when using it with friends, it is like smoking a hookah and all everyone does is talk about how pretty it is, lol. I'm very happy that this was the case, b/c i've used other vaporizers that just made me feel like a crackhead puffing out of a tube or something, lol.

About the quality of the vapor: UNBELIEVABLE. It is just as effective and enjoyable as the Volcano, if not more, really. I would have to do a side by side test/comparison, but I've vaped on the Volcano enough to remember well, and I could swear that the silver surfer is just a bit more intense, given the same circumstances. Also, you go through a teeny amount of herb compared to the volcano.

Final opinion:

If you want to save a lot of money and get a powerful vaporizer: Get the Silver Surfer.

If money is no object and you like all the multiple hits of vapor in the bag and being able to carry it around, pass it around, etc. AND you're also stationary in one home, I would personally pay the extra $300+ dollars to get the Volcano.

So yeah, I promised myself that I would give a review here because if I can help just one person make up their minds, then that's great!!! lol. seriously, thanks to everyone, sorry for being corny, but you were really all such a big help.

flyingtetas,

max

Out to lunch
Glad you didn't make the Vapezilla mistake. Research does pay when buying a vape. ;)

I could swear that the silver surfer is just a bit more intense
The Surfer (and most other direct draw vapes) gives you a higher vapor to air ratio than with bag fill. You don't get more vapor, just more vapor per hit, and therefore richer vapor taste.

Also, you go through a teeny amount of herb compared to the volcano.
If you ever decide to go for the best efficiency, get a Purple-Days (goes great with the SSV) and that statement will apply to those two, with the "teeny amount" used being the PD. :)

max,

The_Algebraist

1.)When I first got my SSV and I unwound the electrical cord, it left behind some kind of material on the unit, has anyone else experienced this? It's almost as if the finish on the SSV caused some of the material on the electric cord to come off and adhere to the surface of the SSV.

The_Algebraist,

matthend

I got my SSV one week ago today. BTW... how the hell did I ever get along without it?? I have not rolled a thing since it arrived. It is the ultimate in taste and pure stoniness. Mine vapes beautifully at about 2:45 - 3:00. Maybe the ones that have been produced lately have the dial put on with a more clockwise starting point?

matthend,

The_Algebraist

Nice, yeah, i've found that mine is producing MAJOR vapor at the 2:00 - 2:30 zone. I get so much vapor it's like I'm hitting a bong. Crazy crazy amazing. It's definitely my goto vape when I want to get high ASAP. The thing heats up to vape temp in just 2 or 3 minutes.

I'm getting about 12 hits on a 1/4" of herb.

ps. How often do you guys clear your wands? Mine always has herb stuck in it after each session, in the screen etc. I'm on a once a week/two week clean schedule...

matthend said:
I got my SSV one week ago today. BTW... how the hell did I ever get along without it?? I have not rolled a thing since it arrived. It is the ultimate in taste and pure stoniness. Mine vapes beautifully at about 2:45 - 3:00. Maybe the ones that have been produced lately have the dial put on with a more clockwise starting point?

The_Algebraist,

tuttle

Although I picked up my SSV over a week ago, I had the first opportunity to fire it up this weekend. I have a lot to learn, but one thing surely became immediately apparent, it takes a LOT less material than my pipe. With an amount that was a nice, pleasant, and mellow ride with combustion, I was absolutely incapacitated on the SSV. I know that everyone here says the PD is the king of efficiency, and I don't doubt it, but I was astounded with the high to material ratio that the SSV delivered. I love this vape :cool:

tuttle,

lwien

tuttle said:
Although I picked up my SSV over a week ago, I had the first opportunity to fire it up this weekend. I have a lot to learn, but one thing surely became immediately apparent, it takes a LOT less material than my pipe. With an amount that was a nice, pleasant, and mellow ride with combustion, I was absolutely incapacitated on the SSV. I know that everyone here says the PD is the king of efficiency, and I don't doubt it, but I was astounded with the high to material ratio that the SSV delivered. I love this vape :cool:
Yup, and I would bet that you would experience the same level of increased efficiency going from the SSV to the PD. Both great vapes.

I only vape every night in the evenings after 7:00pm, and with high quality weed, 3 hits is all I need before I go to sleep. When I was smoking out of a pipe (glass and a protopipe), an eighth of medical grade herb would last me about a month and a half. Now with the PD, after weighing what I put into the bowl, I projected out that an eighth will now last me about 5 months. Crazy shit !!!

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
The_Algebraist said:
i've found that mine is producing MAJOR vapor at the 2:00 - 2:30 zone.
Usually on the SSV, that setting is in the high temp range (if it switches on at 8-9). Color of your remains is the real test. Of course the length of the heater cover (after the bend at the top) and where your screen sits in the wand can make a difference too. I had to turn the dial down after I replaced my original heater cover with a new one. Also had two wands that gave me different distances between cover and screen.

ps. How often do you guys clear your wands? Mine always has herb stuck in it after each session, in the screen etc. I'm on a once a week/two week clean schedule...
The pick you get with the unit should be enough to keep the screen clean. My screen is OK long after the glass needs to cleaned.

tuttle said:
I know that everyone here says the PD is the king of efficiency, and I don't doubt it, but I was astounded with the high to material ratio that the SSV delivered. I love this vape
Since I've settled on these two as home units, I can agree on both counts. And you can use the SSV with a very high degree of efficiency. It just doesn't come as naturally as it does with the PD. Putting just a small pinch in the Surfer, or taking a micro hit, just ain't the way it's meant to be used. ;)

max,

lwien

max said:
And you can use the SSV with a very high degree of efficiency. It just doesn't come as naturally as it does with the PD. Putting just a small pinch in the Surfer, or taking a micro hit, just ain't the way it's meant to be used. ;)
Kinda like gingerly feathering the gas pedal while watching your fuel gauge on your brand new Lambo :p .

lwien,

The_Algebraist

Fucking A. The Surfer gets you toasted ASAP. Three hits and I am feeling funky, and there's at least 8 or so more hits left in this thing. I'm gonna say that I am really glad to have found a vape that I like as much as the SSV, it's a great unit and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who's looking for a get-me-SUPER-high-with-bong-like-hits, well "bong-like" for vaporizers, anyway.

Shit, now I need to go and order a bong attachment for this thing....

........and buy a bong.

The_Algebraist,
Reactions: Paradox

Monsoon

I picked up a can of compressed air that I use to clean the bowl after each usage. I find it keeps it a lot cleaner.Just make sure to exhale through the tube or you'll inhale the compressed air

Also if you have minor build up on the screen you can use a Qtip or paper towel dipped in ISO to clean the screen.

Monsoon,

NoSmoke

For a really tasty all glass rip take off the hose put a rubber oring (like the ones on female bong downstems) on the bottom of the wand, insert it into bong, pick up SSV like wand, and rip, WORKS GREAT, i Iswear by itlol:If you want really really good taste

NoSmoke,

tuttle

NoSmoke said:
For a really tasty all glass rip take off the hose put a rubber oring (like the ones on female bong downstems) on the bottom of the wand, insert it into bong, pick up SSV like wand, and rip, WORKS GREAT, i Iswear by itlol:If you want really really good taste
Interesting idea, to do this though you would need the older style wands that taper on the tube end. Can you still get these? Mine came with the newer style in which the tube is inserted into the wand, rather than the tubing slipping over the wand.

tuttle,

Kenny Powers

Wanted to post a few pics of my Black on Black SSV. I picked this one up from ebay while 7th floor was backed up.

Kenny Powers,

Kenny Powers

Thanks VTAC I sure will enjoy! Thank you for posting those nice high-res pictures at the start of the thread, I tried to find as many good pics of the different colors for the SSV before I went for the ebay one. Just had to get a new knob the original one was kinda ugly. But anyhow these things are AMAZING and vaporizing through my stemless bong is like HEAVEN. Thanks everyone for all the info in helping me make these oh-so-complicated purchase decisions :lol:

Kenny Powers,

The_Algebraist

So 7th Floor offers bong attachments in 14mm and 19mm. I emasured the opening of the glass downstem on my LUX and it's 15.825 mm. I called 7th Floor and they suggested seeing if simply stuffing the tube directly into the downstem works. Has anyone gotten that particular technique to work? I'm gonna try it once I get home this evening.

The_Algebraist,

NoSmoke

Yes that technique works, you can also use a oring (like the one on a female downstem) to make an even tighter seal that's what I did till the VHW came into play, now I barely touch my Surfer, hell its even for sale!!! :lol:

NoSmoke,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
How good is the water adaptor fit from 7th floor?

Say a 14mm on my EHLE 14.5mm joint.

Is this worth trying to setup the SSV as a primary water filtered vape setup? Or will I be dissapointed?

Chubba,

MrMistyTokes

Steam Engine
Chubba said:
How good is the water adaptor fit from 7th floor?

Say a 14mm on my EHLE 14.5mm joint.

Is this worth trying to setup the SSV as a primary water filtered vape setup? Or will I be dissapointed?
haha how can a 20$ piece of glass be considered a primary setup

i take it you never made home made pieces when u were younger

MrMistyTokes,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
haha how can a 20$ piece of glass be considered a primary setup

i take it you never made home made pieces when u were younger
What?

I'm asking if a SSV, with a 14mm adapter run through the 14.5mm joint on my EHLE Ice bong would be a satisfying water cooled vaporizer.

Compared to obviously the Herborizer and the VHW which are designed purely for that function.

Basically I'm concerned about the air seal from the products (14mm to 14.5mm? we don't have ground glass bongs in Australia, no idea) and the condensation/draw from the whip/bong setup.

Chubba,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
An SSV run through an Ehle will be fantastic. You're all set dude. :ko:

KeepCalm,
Top Bottom