BoldtVapor

Lost Coast Surfer
This isn't good :(

I recently purchased a SSV with SGG. Accidentally blew material onto the heating element and after cleaning / putting everything back together, the heating element now sits a little lower than before. The HC went all the way down until I felt a "lock" sound and sits on top of the screws. Should it be flush with the screws? Maybe I put it on wrong or not all the way?

I've gone through so much material trying to figure this out :science:

The vape only produces when turned up all the way and I still don't combust. I really hope there's an easy fix to this, does anyone know what to do?

My HC sits on top of the screws also. I believe that is normal...at least for a solid stainless steel stand. I've never seen a "perforated stand" so I don't know how it fits onto those.
Did you try just pulling the element up or is it stuck? How far apart did you take it?
I do know this....if it's the element that's giving you trouble, it can be replaced for around 30 bucks.

BoldtVapor,

TDA

I pulled the element up as high as it could comfortably go and I'm glad that the HC sitting on top of the screws is normal. Regardless, my unit has been working kinda on and off ever since I got it and I believe the best thing to do (since this is a new vape purchase) would be to contact 7th Floor.

I didn't take anything apart, only removed the HC to clean my element after accidentally blowing into my whip. After putting the HC back on things just don't hit right.

TDA,

hoorah

Pic? You haven't put glass cover all the way down right? Should be an inch up from the bottom.

You shouldn't be taking out any screws either, my stupid GF has got loads of herb in element many times. I just take off glass cover, use the vacuum cleaner over the element on very low to suck it all out and rinse the glass with alcohol.

hoorah,
Hey all !!!

Thanks for the responses I feel like I learn something new everyday hahah

Anyways more ???? For the veterans out there

• I orientied my knob so it's point straight down when it's off (is this standard, is there a standard lol) and I've been reading up all over FC about temperatures an I was wondering how
To figure out what various temps are help or suggestions would be appreciated

• I'm also looking to pick up a new tube to Hook up but I have no idea where to start so suggestions pictures experiences I'd love to hear

• I broke my stock pick and have been using various tools to clear the bowl but this seems to always push a little abv into the wand and the first hit of
The next bowl gives me scoobies. Solutions ?

• did my first dab the other day. Would concentrates or something similar work with
The ssv at all

• can't find screens that fit either best place to find order
Those and what size is the best fit
Thanks for the replies in advance

Darth Vapor31,

BoldtVapor

Lost Coast Surfer

Be sure that the heating element is not touching the top of your glass. If it is, using the pick that came with your vape, go through the opening of the HC and push down on to the top of the heating element just far enough to where it is not touching any glass.
For our newer model of HC stands this process is much simpler. To remove the HC, simply pull straight up using gentle but firm force until it slides off of its stand. Notice the retaining clip that keeps the HC secured to the stand. If your replacement HC does not fit when remounting, using pliers, squeeze in the sides of the stand like so..until it slides on with a snug fit. Again, use firm but gentle pressure, and stop when the HC has made contact with the bottom of the stand or screws on the disc.

BoldtVapor,

TDA

Thanks for the great video BoldtVapor. Just got off the phone with Chris from 7th Floor and we came to the conclusion that my heating element isn't sitting high enough. Sounds simple, right? Here's the twist:

I can't pull my heating element high enough to touch the top of my HC even if I wanted to :doh:

After my vape has cooled down, I'm going to remove the HC and see about safely pulling the heating element higher. By the way, I'm only trying to raise it an 1/8 of an inch. I don't want people to think I'm trying to have my heating element touch the top of the HC, lol.

By the way, do you guys normally see much vapor at all? I've heard someone say "visible vapor is wasted vapor." Just curious how much vapor you guys normally see under normal conditions and what setting you see these at...

TDA,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
By the way, do you guys normally see much vapor at all? I've heard someone say "visible vapor is wasted vapor." Just curious how much vapor you guys normally see under normal conditions and what setting you see these at...

I see huge clouds when using my SSV, especially with a hash topped bowl. As for what setting, every SSV could be different but usually if I see that red glow I turn it down a tad to where I can still see the glow if I turn the lights out or cuff the HC.

For reference:

dsc4100k.jpg

My heating element is < a millimeter from the HC and I still have room to shove the HC down.

Tweak,

TDA

It works! I put some elbow grease into it and finally pulled the heating element up to the right height. Something so simple, huh? ;)

Thanks for the pic Tweak, that photo was an awesome reference.

This thing hits like a boss! :tup:

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Sweet!!!!:D

Yeah I took the photo a few days ago but didn't have time to upload/post the image. I'm glad it helped.:tup:

Tweak,

max

Out to lunch
TDA said:
How much you see on exhale depends on how much you've loaded, how big of a hit you took, and how quickly you exhaled the hit. The SSV is certainly capable of providing huge hits and big clouds on exhale, if you use it that way. Cranking it up into the high temp range is likely going to produce even more vapor on exhale, plus it'll be quite a bit harder to hold, due to added harshness and volume. The most efficient way to vape is to start low, get your most tasty hits, and move the temp up when your vapor output dies out at a particular setting.

max,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Hey all !!!

Thanks for the responses I feel like I learn something new everyday hahah

Anyways more ???? For the veterans out there

• I orientied my knob so it's point straight down when it's off (is this standard, is there a standard lol) and I've been reading up all over FC about temperatures an I was wondering how
To figure out what various temps are help or suggestions would be appreciated

• I'm also looking to pick up a new tube to Hook up but I have no idea where to start so suggestions pictures experiences I'd love to hear

• I broke my stock pick and have been using various tools to clear the bowl but this seems to always push a little abv into the wand and the first hit of
The next bowl gives me scoobies. Solutions ?

• did my first dab the other day. Would concentrates or something similar work with
The ssv at all

• can't find screens that fit either best place to find order
Those and what size is the best fit
Thanks for the replies in advance

I would use something similar to the stock pick like maybe a safety pin straightened out or a sewing needle. You can always pick up a dabber or something at a LHS to replace the pick.

Screens..... If I remember I'll check what kind I have when I get home from work.

I would check the glass threads to find what your looking for. You can pick up a 250ml Ehle with a diffused downstem (aqua lab tech aka ALT) has some gridded soveignty ones that are sick or you can get a shower head down stem that would work good. I always vape through glass pretty much it also solves the problem your having of getting plant particulates in your mouth. In the mean time you could put could cut a small piece of organic cotton and put it between the tube and the mouth piece. Check out the cheap but quality glass thread for all kinds of suggestions.

As for hash with the ssv if it oil I prefer to dab it on a nail but you can put a dab of oil on a organic cotton ball and use that to vape your oil from. If your using wand hash or bubble I put it on top of some green or abv and get ready for lift off.

Puffers,

max

Out to lunch
To figure out what various temps are
Hard to do unless you've got a high end digital unit. I wouldn't worry about it.

can't find screens that fit either best place to find order
Screen size (at least for the standard wand) is 5/8". You can get stainless steel screens in quantity on eBay.

max,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I would check the glass threads to find what your looking for. You can pick up a 250ml Ehle with a diffused downstem (aqua lab tech aka ALT) has some gridded soveignty ones that are sick or you can get a shower head down stem that would work good.
the EHLE uses a 14mm downstem, and the sov downstem is a low profile 18mm.
It can be a little difficult to find a nicely diffused 14mm downstem.
I've heard good things about the EHLE diffused downstem though.

Frederick McGuire,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
the EHLE uses a 14mm downstem, and the sov downstem is a low profile 18mm.
It can be a little difficult to find a nicely diffused 14mm downstem.
I've heard good things about the EHLE diffused downstem though.

Freddy always comin through on the glass i love your posts cause I learn something new like every time. It makes sense that a nice 14mm diffused down stem would be harder to make because of the scale. I perfer stemless myself so I guess I didn't notice lol Good info man

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
;) I like to think I've learned a bit about glass over the last year or 2 :lol:

The 1st time I ran my SSV (my 1st vape :D) through my Agung Cyclone (my 1st GonG piece - I had it before the SSV) I knew I would be vape-bonging from then on :lol:
I was using a little 1 hitter slide as a WPA :lol:

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: BoldtVapor

TDA

My SSV uses a SGG connection and I was thinking about ordering a standard HC as well. My main goal is extraction, conservation, and of course variety. For those of you who use standard, I pose the following questions:

"Do you feel that the standard version conserves your material better than the spherical? Do I really need both standard and spherical in my collection? Is there really that big of a difference?"

I really like the spherical so this leads me to wonder if I will also enjoy the standard. Secondly:

"How much material can the standard be packed with and how much material can the spherical be packed with?"

Thanks you guys!

TDA,

max

Out to lunch
The ground glass HC provides a much larger opening into the wand, vs. the standard. Hits have more air and are more predictable. The SSV standard connection gives you a narrower stream of air, allowing for more vapor per hit. But you need to move/rotate the wand some during the hit, and more stirring between hits is also advised. As for conserving, that has more to do with your temp usage and what you do with your hits than whether you're using GG or standard connection. I think going back and forth, at times, between standard and GG, provides some variety, and I'm in favor of it.

max,

webb

Level 100 Lurker
I went by the factory on my vacation to Colorado, and they have a ton more Wave Riders in the shop than they do on the site. It was cool to meet the guys who blew my custom glass as well as see what all other SSV's they had. If you ever get the chance, go by the factory. You will see a ton of SSV accessories, pipes, bongs, etc(plus no 7th floor shipping charges)... And you will probably get hooked up with some free SSV gear!!!

misanthrope

Quick question; does anyone know if you can get away with using your Silver Surfer in a non-smoking hotel room? I've been considering taking it with me but I'm a bit worried clouds of vapour might set off the smoke alarm...

Could be a bit embarrassing, and getting booted out of the hotel would really not go down well with my girlfriend.

Would I be better off taking Iolite?

misanthrope,

BoldtVapor

Lost Coast Surfer
Quick question; does anyone know if you can get away with using your Silver Surfer in a non-smoking hotel room? I've been considering taking it with me but I'm a bit worried clouds of vapour might set off the smoke alarm...

Could be a bit embarrassing, and getting booted out of the hotel would really not go down well with my girlfriend.

Would I be better off taking Iolite?

I have smoke alarms in every room of my house including the "vape cave" and I've never set one off yet. Smoke lingers in the air but my SSV can run non stop and the air is always clear. Hope this helps you out.

misanthrope

I have smoke alarms in every room of my house including the "vape cave" and I've never set one off yet. Smoke lingers in the air but my SSV can run non stop and the air is always clear. Hope this helps you out.

This is reassuring, many thanks for replying. While domestic smoke alarms sense smoke, a lot of the ones in hotel rooms operate on the basis of changes in temperature (so I'm told) - I'm just not sure now.

Tbh, although my Surfer doesn't stink out a room like smoking used to, the smell of skunk is still quite obvious, as it's illegal over here I may just take a walk with the stealthy Iolite and keep in my Mrs's good-books....

Oh dear, I do so love the Surfer, but I'm only away one night - not sure I can justify the risk...

BoldtVapor

Lost Coast Surfer
This is reassuring, many thanks for replying. While domestic smoke alarms sense smoke, a lot of the ones in hotel rooms operate on the basis of changes in temperature (so I'm told) - I'm just not sure now.

Tbh, although my Surfer doesn't stink out a room like smoking used to, the smell of skunk is still quite obvious, as it's illegal over here I may just take a walk with the stealthy Iolite and keep in my Mrs's good-books....

Oh dear, I do so love the Surfer, but I'm only away one night - not sure I can justify the risk...

If I were in your shoes, I'd just take the walk. Better safe than sorry.

BoldtVapor,

TDA

I have to say......the SSV is so much fun! I used to be against the whip concept but have now started to appreciate it. Combusted a couple times and that's no bueno, lol. I've also rolled a couple j's with the ABV material but eh, it was nasty and now I just wanna vape!

I'm considering adding the standard set-up to my collection but for now the SGG is working out beautifully. Thanks again to everyone who helped in my decision making process :wave:

***By the way, is there a special way to properly clean the heating element? It's not bad at all, just has a couple thin brown ABV lines on it.

Lou

I've also rolled a couple j's with the ABV material but eh, it was nasty and now I just wanna vape!

***By the way, is there a special way to properly clean the heating element? It's not bad at all, just has a couple thin brown ABV lines on it.

Ugh, I've hit abv through a wp and even then it was nasty, couldn't imagine a j. I usually just wipe down the heating element with a damp paper towel, or with a little iso.

Lou,
Top Bottom