1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

regulated vs unregulated power supplies for "log vapes"

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by placetime, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bleak

bleak Well-Known Member

Noob question about these adjustable power supplies. Is the intention to give log-vapes temperature adjustment capabilities? Or is it more about just getting consistent temperatures from unit to unit, in different countries etc?
  2. OhTheAgony

OhTheAgony here for the chicks

For me it's both.

I now know the sweet spot for all of my logs and usually just set it to a preferred voltage depending on which one I'm using. But some stems require a different temperature than others and so do some strains (I throw more heat at strains that vape less well, and like to keep the vapor as cool as possible without sacrificing the thoroughness of vaping for the more potent strains). I also have another set of sweet-spots for each vape when I add concentrates to the bowl for instance. It just gives you a lot of flexibility overall as long as you don't mind giving the vape a little time to adjust the temperature.
    Frederick McGuire likes this.
  3. HighlyEducatedScholar

HighlyEducatedScholar Student of Vapor

Same with OTA, i use my variable power supply as both. at college, my UD ran at the perfect sweet spot for my needs but when i graduated and came home, i noticed the average temp of my UD had dropped. the grid at my house isn't as strong as it was up at my college. sometimes when i brought it to a friends house i would notice that their power grid wouldn't be strong enough either.

also, like OTA, i have discovered that different strains will vape differently so being able to adjust my UD allows for thorough vaping.
    OpalinDays likes this.
  4. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

Definitely both.

Although technically you could probably get regulated non-variable power-supply what would provide more consistent temperature without adjustment.

A VVPS also adds an extra aromatherapy element to it, you can set the voltage below cannabis vaporization temperatures for using certain essential oils that do better with a lighter heat.
  5. bleak

bleak Well-Known Member

Niceness! I really like the idea of a generic temp controller that works with multiple log vapes.

I do use the temperature control on my other vapes, so I'll probably grab one of these for my first log vape. During the day, lower temps for an active high. At night, crank it up for those thick, debilitating couchlock hits :)
  6. Ed's TnT

Ed's TnT Woodsman Manufacturer

Just got my VVPS in today!
    BigDaddyVapor likes this.
  7. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

me too...what are you gonna do for a cord?
  8. Ed's TnT

I am gonna have to get a 1/4 cable and tie in the 2.1 female right.
  9. OhTheAgony

Wait, you guys already received that little one that Hazy posted?
  10. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

got mine in yesterday
  11. Ed's TnT

Thats right!
  12. OhTheAgony

Damn, that's quick, I even ordered mine before you guys.

I better keep an eye on mailguy too next week then.

Did it fit through the mailbox (letterbox?) or was the package to large for that?

What's that shop you're referring to in your sign btw Sticks? Do you actually have a shop, or did you break all of those vapes and have them fixed right now? lol
  13. Ed's TnT

The package is not that large and may fit through your letterbox OTA.

I thought that was rather quick too!
    OhTheAgony likes this.
  14. BigDaddyVapor

BigDaddyVapor @BigDogJunction

*POTD.

Just because I can imagine the look on OTA's face, as he typed this. ;)

*sponsored by, WTF!? Inc.
  15. GOATPUSSY

GOATPUSSY Well-Known Member

Oh yeah... Ordered one of the hazy specials about a week and a half ago... Can't wait.

Soooo... to wire this up... Basically get an adapter that fits the vvps(looks like a 1/4" headphone jack in picts... Maybe??), a length of wire, and an adapter to fit my UD? That's it right?

And is there anything I could do to pimp it out? Like thick gauge colored wire, gold plated adapters for the connections???
    Hahahahanaha.
  16. BigDaddyVapor

You want a 1/4" mono plug for the VVPS. You can pimp it out as much as you want... gold plated connectors, braided line. The works.
    OhTheAgony and GOATPUSSY like this.
  17. GOATPUSSY

Thanks BDV!
  18. OhTheAgony

Uhm, sorry BDV, but I have no idea what that means :shrug:

I tried googling it but only came up with this, & frankly fail to see how it fits in here, if that's what you're referring to?

Their quick arrival actually got me a little excited anyways. I was prepared for a 4 to 6 week wait, but it seems now that it might actually arrive in a decent amount of time :haw:
  19. BigDaddyVapor

That's what POTD is.

NM.... the moment has passed. Wasn't any malice.
    OhTheAgony likes this.
  20. Pipes

Pipes The guy with the Afterthoughts Accessory Maker

Cool looking variable supply there.
    If you want a connector that's easy to attach and will last a life time, check this one out. Can take most any size wire and re-usable. Need to solder but easy compared to others.
    :2c:
    Pipes
  21. GOATPUSSY

Thanks pipes! That looks perfect. Found it over at amazon too and will get it over there along with some vape goodies for the holidays.
    Pipes likes this.
  22. BigDaddyVapor

You can also pick up everything at Radio Shack it you're in states. Its all extremely common stuff. Hell, you probably have anold adaptor with the right size plug on it for your vape. Cut the cable/plug off... solder it to new mono plug.
  23. hazy

hazy dreamer Manufacturer

I've been ordering the tattoo power cords off ebay then cutting off the "clip" and soldering a 5.5/2.1mm plug onto them. These are what I will be sending out with the beta pods for those who have tattoo power supplies.

[​IMG]

Note the right angle plug, which isn't necessary for other logs, but I like them because they avoid straining the cord where it plugs into the vape (a common cause of failure).
  24. Ed's TnT

I just finished soldering my cord together, will fire it up later today!

I am looking forward to those betas Hazy! Pls let me know an ETA if you have one.
  25. OhTheAgony

Lost in translation I guess. No worries, it happens sometimes :tup:

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors