regulated vs unregulated power supplies for "log vapes"

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Normally I would have unplugged the pod, but I wasn't really thinking about it at the time (I've been indulging in more alcohol than usual the last couple of days :ko:[full disclosure: I'm kinda drunk now :D])
Another thing it could've been was that I went from having it plugged into a surge arresting power board to plugging it directly into an outlet?

Frederick McGuire,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Yes.

Though removing the load (vape) would be best.

Its a cheap POS. However, for $14... understandable.

I didn't notice the Amazon order ships from China. Lol! I blame the girl scout cookies. My estimated delivery dates are between 12/21 and 1/15. Oh well, not like I need it... with several fixed voltage supplies and a vvps that still works. Btw, probably the same guy on both Ebay and Amazon. He's got several listings for those, for each color.

BigDaddyVapor,

u bwade wunner

thanks Hazy so far so good with your e tiny PSU link.super compact and easy to use.hope it lasts

u bwade wunner,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Now updated delivery date show 1/10/13... with the package bouncing all over China. I really hope this isn't being packed on a ship. Though, considering shipping is "free"... it is the cheapest option.

Hopefully the date will update, if it gets on a plane.

BigDaddyVapor,

sunsett70

hey guys,

i saw this adjustable power adapter
http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/90-240V-...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item4abf1110f8

My UD i think needs 1A but this only comes with 0.6A
workable??? i'll check with dave too.

edit - update from dave of UD "I would recommend getting one that's rated at 1000ma (1A) or more. Even though the UD should only draw .6A or a bit less I think it's best to have a power supply that's powerful enough to not have to run all-out to power it. It's been my experience that when run at near max power for long periods of time power supplies fail much faster."

sunsett70,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Dave's right. Even if it can handle the load, you will be pushing the limits of the circuitry and introducing a lot of heat. Wouldn't last long.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: sunsett70

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
...lets hope this is an insulated incident. Just let me know if they won't replace it for free though Fred, I would like to reflect it in the feedback I still owe them on a couple of units I haven't received yet if they don't send you another one under warranty...
I just got a eBay message from them saying thy will replace it. :)
So I'm a happy camper :tup:

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
How many @$&#ing postal stops are there in Beijing, China? So far 3 different transfers marked Beijing. Maybe it will leave China someday.

BigDaddyVapor,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Ticks me off, because nowhere does it say, expect 6 weeks shipping. Certainly not during the order process. I didn't find out it was leaving from China, until I got the shipping/tracking notice. I expected better from Amazon, as 99% of my purchases, go well.

Had I known this was how it was going down. I wouldn't bother. Once again, should have just ordered the Hildebrandt. Can't be too upset however. It is only $14. Just annoying.

BigDaddyVapor,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
You've gotta use what I've dubbed "international postage zen".
Once it's shipped, forget about its existence until you get a nice surprise package on your doorstep :lol:

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Glad to hear you are getting a replacement Fred, I am still digging mine with my WW but am eagerly awaiting my Pod!

Ed's TnT,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Well, I was looking at the tracking on the USPS site and it notes, that its first-class international. Looks like it might have finally left Beijing.

BigDaddyVapor,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
How wrong I was. As of this morning, it is STILL bouncing around Beijing. I contacted the seller, a little miffed. He explained that it typically only takes 7 - 10 days and asked if I wanted partial refund, or another item. $14, not worth it. Another one, wait 2 months for?

I played the writer/reviewer card, at that point. Told him I had heard about the unit and planned on doing a write-up on it. Haha! As if, I'm going to impact his sales...

So he says to give it another two days. Then I saw that update from this morning, showing it in Beijing, still. Wrote him back with that, so now he's going to send me a 2nd unit. May take until March... but I'll have a home and travel unit... or, a spare.

BigDaddyVapor,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Wow. This guy on Amazon, is a joke.

First package, spends 2 weeks bouncing around Beijing. So the guy says he will send another and gives me a tracking number. Just checked on the status. The first package MIGHT be delivered today, as it went thru the sort facility closest to me, yesterday. The 2nd package was delivered on the 17th to city/zip code, about 45 minutes from me. Wtf?

BigDaddyVapor,

GOATPUSSY

Wow. This guy on Amazon, is a joke.

First package, spends 2 weeks bouncing around Beijing. So the guy says he will send another and gives me a tracking number. Just checked on the status. The first package MIGHT be delivered today, as it went thru the sort facility closest to me, yesterday. The 2nd package was delivered on the 17th to city/zip code, about 45 minutes from me. Wtf?

Kinda surprised. Mine came ridiculously quick. Maybe 10 days from origination to east coast. I ordered mine off eBay tho... Think its the same seller.

Good luck BDV. And if the world ends tomorrow, happy birthday.

GOATPUSSY,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Its supposedly sitting in my mailbox. Have to wait for our daughter though, since she picks up the mail on her way home from the bus stop.

EDIT: and the hits just keep on coming. So BOTH packages arrived today.

This is what I ordered.

414Y0lxmMgL.jpg

This is what I got two of.

Tpn020.jpg

What a stupid jackass.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: kingofnull

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Crap man, that sucks bigtime *shakes head*

I had almost ordered one of those myself before I noticed there was a display missing.

Are you sending them back or will you just ritually burn them to evaporate some frustration?

I got some different results with the original seller too in terms of shipping-time. My first order got here within two weeks, but the second order took over a month or so to get here. I guess that's just how unpredictable the free or cheap Chinese shipping is, I've seen stuff taking over 2 months to get here even :shrug:

OhTheAgony,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
He just replied to my email, blaming it on the guy who packaged them both. Again asking me, if I want a refund or a resend. I told him, I just want the right damn power supply. It should be labeled, TPN-023. Above all else, it should have a LCD display. It should only have a single output. I sent him the picture of the one he has listed, plus the fact he lists it as a LCD model.

He's sending me another one. So, at this point, I have 3 vvps... with another coming. One of them is trash. If I set it to 12V on the dial and its cranking out, well over 13V. The other one however holds rock-solid and is accurate as a vaguely labeled dial can be. Made a couple marks for hi/low vaping.

BigDaddyVapor,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
They claim 8 hours battery life?
I seriously doubt you'd get that with a log :lol:

But that does look seriously cool :brow:

Frederick McGuire,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Yeah, I'm keeping the ones he sent. He hadn't asked for them and I'll tell him to blow it out his rear-end. I'm still holding his feedback over his head. Told him to get me the right product and I'll look past this crap. Least I can do, for 2 free ones.

Quick update on this one. It its tiny. Smaller than most adult palms. I set it up, turned it to my mark and fine tuned with multimeter. Set it, as close to 12.00 as I could get it. The crap digital display vvps I have, is impossible to set to a solid voltage. It will drop significantly from what you initially set, by up to several tenths of a volt. It also gets hot as Hell, without a fan blowing on it, the entire time its on.

This little thing hits the voltage you want and as long as you don't bump the dial hard enough... it only varies hundredths of a volt. I set it at 12.02V and over the course of my session, which included unplugging it from the HI several times to check voltage, unplugging and plugging it back in, removal of power switch bypass for drain measurements. Every time I got it hooked back up. The voltage did not vary by more than .03 hundredths. It was just resting on some laundry to. No cooling fan and it barely got warm.

I hate to say it, but if the voltage readings/marks stay consistent... this little thing kicks ass.

20121220_190152.jpg

The bad news? The other one I got with this one. If I set it even close to 12V on the dial, it reads significantly higher on a meter. Over 13 volts.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
2nd day of testing on the wrong vvps and things are going surprisingly well. Its providing much better results at a consistent/constant voltage. That crap I paid 3 times as much for, always had me wondering if my HI was going bad. The voltage would read one thing, the vapor output, wouldn't always match.

However, the OEM power supply Alan sends, always worked with it. Just, I don't like vaping at 12.24V. I want to vape at 11.8 - 12.0. Sometimes drop it down to 11.3 and roll my way up. I'm getting 2 - 3 more pulls off nearly every load. The variation in voltage, once set... is a very impressive +/- .03 volts.

Not bad. 2 of them, with the correct display unit, on the way... all for $14. Lol. Kind of cute to, ain't it?

20121221_050441.jpg

While I'm upset getting 2 of the wrong item. I must say, I'm very happy with this little thing. If it holds up, I would highly recommend thisas a slightly cheaper option, for those that don't need a display. However, you will need a voltmeter, to find where your voltages are initially. Just a quick scratch in the paint and you're good.

BigDaddyVapor,

placetime

Great info BDV! Is that little TPN-020 still staying cool or has it started warming up over time?
I'm also looking forward to hearing your comparison of those and the correct ones still headed your way.
:peace:

placetime,
Top Bottom