Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Toejam31

Hello, all!

I know that something like this has been posted hundreds of time, but I've been waiting a while to contribute my two cents.

I've been waiting three months for my Purple -Days, and today, it finally arrived. I didn't need to read the directions, mostly because I've read at least a third of this thread! :D

Yep ... the consensus of this forum is absolutely correct; this is an excellent product. :peace:

More later ... got to show it to the wife. She's gonna get a kick out of this, IMHO. The dirty details to follow ...

... T

Toejam31,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Purple-Days said:
Glad folks are liking the PD kit idea.
Wow, just shows the successful entrepreneur (sp?) adapts to changing markets, or something like that.

(as I hit on a PD)

macbill,

Purple-Days

Thanks, and welcome to the new followers of this thread...

This plan (Operation Pandora) formed in my mind a few days after the unique crossbar / spring tensioned / finned design sprang into my mind (see post #?, an early one...).

This is a gray market, at best, and patent laws take a fortune to defend, see the history books. So what can you do as a cottage industry?

My favorite film of all time is Dr. Strangelove. Stanley Kubrik. (George C. Scott is a gem in this, and several movies) The Doomsday Device. 'But it makes no sense if you don't tell anybody...' they say it in the movie.

I did, tell them... I told them I would let it all go, but they didn't hear me. Thus the P-D Pandora Kit. .l..

Yeah, time to take it easy. I think the points have been made.

L, what dog did you get, I hear the list is a crazy one. A 'Ruben Dog? I might be tempted.

But, I gotta say my favorite is a 'real' Chicago dog with sport peppers and even tomato wedges (which I hate on anything else). The best Chicago Dog, I ever had, was in Panama City Beach, FL. The fellow had moved there and carried a bit of Chicago with him. Imported the Dogs and Peppers and Mustard, forked them up himself,mostly.

Uhh, a note or two on Operation Pandora. This may take some time, because of current obligations, and a demand by me for an easy to follow set of instructions, clear, helpful pictures, using simple everyday tools*.

If you can build a balsa model or sweat a joint you are over-qualified for what I have in mind for the basic kit. Nobody will need any drill bits, no Forstner bits, or a drill press. No lathe needed. No drilling holes or tapping threads.

This is off the top of my head, so the list may change a slight bit.
Tools needed-

:) Common junk drawer tools:
Phillips screwdriver
Needle-nose pliers
Hammer
Toe Nail clippers :brow:
Slip joint pliers
Scissors
Elmer's glue
Papertowels
Toothpicks

;) Special tools your Uncle Clyde might let you borrow, or you can rent or buy:
Soldering Iron ($10)
Ring Pliers ($10)

Other tools will help, and will be suggested, but these basic tools should complete a 'P-D Pandora Kit' . This is declared a trademark. Copyright too.

What would the kit provide:

A DVD/CD type instruction disc with many helpful files, links and extras...

Wood:
Kiln Dried American Cherry body, turned by eye and hand, here in Port Orford, OR.
Logo on. Maybe another logo... to show it's a hand built model. Not sure.
Open to suggestions. All holes bored. Power jack hole tapped. Wood bottom too.

Other: Clamp Block, elastic bands

Metals:
#304 Stainless Steel 1" sleeve cut to length, prepped. ( :buzz: A PD original)
#304 Stainless Steel Heat exchanger tube, prepped. ( :buzz: A PD original)
Cut, Ground, De-burred, Cross drilled, Flared - Ready for assembly
#304 Stainless Steel 'Stack' washers (flat heat sink washers) ( :buzz: A PD original)
#304 Stainless Steel Black Oxide 'Dark Fin' washers. 72 radiating fins ( :buzz: A PD original)
#304 Stainless Steel crossbar material ( :buzz: A PD original)
#304 Stainless Steel screws (2)
#304 Stainless Steel Vapor Tips (3)
Cut, Ground, De-burred - Ready for assembly
#304 Stainless Steel Vapor Tip screens (6+) pre-cut (plenty and instructions and cutter)
Spring steel plated clips, large and small

1 foot RoHS compliant hook-up wire
6 inches (4-5 units worth) of RoHS compliant solder
25J20RE Ohmite (USA) RoHS compliant (ceramic) resistor
DC - male - Type M jack RoHS compliant (threads to match tapped wood body)

Leather etc.-
Purple - heavy cowhide - over run, fresh, new leather...pre-consumer re-cycled.
Sandpapers and steel wools for each job.
Buzz Butter- All natural, finish your PD in style, get the recipe too.

Jameco 12V 1000mA wall transformer.

Heavy duty car cord (compare to others ;) )

Accessory kit- Muslin Tote bag for your hand built PD. :party: ( :buzz: A PD original)

Matching duff bag :uhh: ( :buzz: A PD original).

Purple tube cleaning bottle :rofl: ( :buzz: A PD original).

Solid copper aromatherapy cup :goon: ( :buzz: A PD original, compare to others made with Epoxy)

P-D Pandora Kit

I have no idea where it goes from here. Gonna talk to Vapenow soon but he is busy so that along with the development may take some time. He may have no interest and I cannot ever speak for VapeNow. But, the project will go forward as the list is diminished though our efforts to meet demand

Purple-Days,

Frickr

tom the more i think about this the more i love this idea! i cant wait for these to come out. one question though, is there going to be any warranty with these kits? i also like the idea of having a special logo, that says that you built it.

Frickr,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
My favorite film of all time is Dr. Strangelove. Stanley Kubrik. (George C. Scott is a gem in this, and several movies) The Doomsday Device. 'But it makes no sense if you don't tell anybody...' they say it in the movie.
LOL. I LOVED that movie. "You can't fight in here. THIS is the WAR ROOM ". :lol:

Pinks is really well known for their basic chili dogs. Dat's why I go there. When I get that chili dog urge and want that warm glow in my belly........I hurtle down to Pink's. :p

lwien,

Purple-Days

What warranty would you suggest? Not being funny, looking for input. The items will be tested and P-D ready when leaving here. They can be abused by various means after leaving here. This is not a wal-mart era concept, this is like a heath-kit, you need to know if you can swim before jumping in, but we will try to make it fool proof for as many as possible.

NO, no guarantee, people always over-estimate themselves, check You-Tube + fails... :lol: It was a funny question though. :2c:

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

It's the big board, he can't see the big board...

Check his version of Scrooge. Brilliant :2c:

Speaking of the big board , I see a new vaporizer mfg claims, "- Only Stainless Steel components are used in the vapor path." Seems he forgot about the heating element, unless I am missing a completely new concept in vaporizors. Hello all, Al Gore. :lol:

Purple-Days,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
It's the big board, he can't see the big board...

Check his version of Scrooge. Brilliant :2c:
Saw it. I like GCS too. The man was born to play Patton. Perfect casting.

lwien,

Frickr

the best way i can see the warranty working, is to set a flat rate if something does happen. providing that these are assembled by someone other then you, you loose out on the quality control aspect after assembly. so a flat rate to pay for your time, as i assume the kits would be a little less due to less work for you. maybe the rate could be soemthing along the lines of the price differance between the kit costs and fully assembled unit costs. if its out in the open, people know they will be buying and building at their own risk, and if something happens, they will know the price it will be to have it sent to you and troubleshooted.

i think the system would get abused if there wasnt a price on this, say if something didnt work after they assembled it, then you would pretty much have to do the work for them to fix it if it was just a "ship to you to fix" type of deal. i would hate to see you get taken by people who thought they could assemble the kit only and just throw it together to have you fix and finish it for them.

Frickr,

Purple-Days

"throw it together to have you fix and finish it for them"... Maybe you see the sound of one hand clapping. :D

Yes, simple as possible, or not a good kit. I bought a balsa 3 meter sailplane kit, built it gloriously... sanding every rib, and spar... but it would have flown as well without those touches. The Pandora will go together easy, flourishes can be added as one desires. But it will fly, built as instructed. Why would I introduce it in any other format?

Purple-Days,

CrazyCracker

Purple-Days said:
Open to suggestions. d
I would appreciate a different logo then the original ones. Something to tell a PD built by you and a PD built by someone else apart.

CrazyCracker,

Frickr

the pandora days! for a logo have a small 'PD' surounded with the sunrays lile the original disign.

Frickr,

lwien

CrazyCracker said:
Purple-Days said:
Open to suggestions. d
I would appreciate a different logo then the original ones. Something to tell a PD built by you and a PD built by someone else apart.
Maybe logoless so that builders can burn in their own logo.

lwien,

itriplots

Im very excited for the kits! I have wanted to order a PD for a while now to paint it with water color then wood burn over the paint. But, Im afraid of waiting 10 weeks for the vape and then immediately destroying the classiness of it. The kit will be perfect for this though!:p

itriplots,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Some differentiation of the logos would be important just for your ability to distinguish between those covered by your warranty and those built at home by a customer. The only thing to warranty is the individual parts...do you have a way to test them without first assembling the final PD?

stickstones,

spikyvape

It could also be dangerous to let people build their own vape with your parts and after they
don't like it they sell it, and a news user get's a bad build one or worse.

Maybe not well made, glue that per accident got on the SS, people who run out of good soldering and
use their own lead based etc etc. I don't think it is good for the PD name, you now build quality vapes,
what wenn the first units made by users are showing defects, that is not good for your name !

I think you could better find some people around the globe that make these units who are known
with this kind of stuff.

But maybe i am wrong :2c:

spikyvape,

lwien

spikyvape said:
It could also be dangerous to let people build their own vape with your parts and after they

Maybe not well made, glue that per accident got on the SS, people who run out of good soldering and
use their own lead based etc etc. I don't think it is good for the PD name, you now build quality vapes,
what wenn the first units made by users are showing defects, that is not good for your name !

I think you could better find some people around the globe that make these units who are known
with this kind of stuff.

Gotta a good point here.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
lwien said:
spikyvape said:

with this kind of stuff.

Gotta a good point here.
I agree, good point.
Could possibly put a much larger identifying mark on the wooden body so someone would know it wasn't a unit made my Tom. A mark put in such a way that if someone were too remove it, It would be highly noticeable it was gone. Like maybe a 2-3 mm deep groove around the body at one point?

DevoTheStrange,

Purple-Days

After some thought the P-D Pandora must have a logo.The logo that suggests itself.
2yu0vhf.jpg

Poorly drawn but you get the idea... the PD inside the rays is a good thought...

Spikyvape says,"It could also be dangerous to let people build their own vape with your parts and after they don't like it they sell it, and a news user get's a bad build one or worse."

Well, that's what this is in response to. A rip-off* of the PD has come to market, using references to the PD in it's advertising. They have gone as far as using our ad copy (flat out plagiarism). And pictures of a PD, I built, as their own product. They think you can pass off a rip-off as a PD. So you have a point, the confusion is already there.

At least the PDP will use PD parts, and with good instructions and simple design... It will be easy to build. There really isn't much one can mess up, there isn't even a polarity to the wiring. It will be very simple.

BTW the only place any glue is used is at the very bottom, to secure the wood bottom and the leather.

"people who run out of good soldering and use their own lead based" I would include 6 inches of RoHS Lead Free solder, enough to do 4-5 units. They won't run short.

Sticks asks, "do you have a way to test them without first assembling the final PD".
This test is performed on every single resistor we use. We hold a +/- 1% tolerance.
2aexptx.jpg

fau43m.jpg

With all the holes pre-drilled and tapped, the metal parts all prepped it should be a straight-forward build.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom